REPOST Owner Review - Columbia Trail Meister

  • markmclauchlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2007
      Hi Roger,

      Please find included a repost of my OR with changes as suggested.
      Appreciate your comments and feedback.

      I was unable to change the images as per your comment as these were
      taken over 12 months ago and I wanted to include the origional state
      of the shoe, hope this is ok.

      Tester Agreement was signed and sent approximately 2 weeks ago so
      should almost be with Jim.

      My comments to your comments in CAPS, thought it might be easier to

      Verified Weight: 492 g (17.35 oz) per shoe
      Comment: I take it from this that they did not give the weight on the
      web site? If correct, fine. THIS IS CORRECT.

      * Conclusion
      Comment: I rarely use this sort of heading. We let the performance
      speak for itself. I WANTED TO KEEP THIS AS A GOOD SUMMARY.

      Text version below.

      URL - http://tinyurl.com/ysfbzx

      Owner Review Columbia Trail Meister Hiking Shoe
      Monday, 15 October 2007

      * Reviewer Information
      Name: Mark McLauchlin
      Age: 29
      Gender: Male
      Height: 1.76 m (5' 9")
      Weight: 87 kg (191 lb)
      Email: mark at swanvalleyit.com.au
      City: Perth, Western Australia

      * Backpacking Background
      I have been hiking for approximately 12 months with most of my hiking
      consisting of day walks averaging 16 – 22 km (9.94 – 13.66 mi) and
      overnight trips where possible.

      I consider myself to be a light hiker with an average pack weight of
      13 kg (28.66 lbs).

      My preference is for hot dinners, breakfasts of cereals with fresh
      fruit, and lunches usually of bars and sandwiches. I am starting to
      work with freezer bag type meals.

      * Product Information
      Manufacturer: Columbia
      Manufacturer's URL:<a href=" www.columbia.com"> www.columbia.com
      Year of manufacturer: 2006
      Colour: two tone (grey and brown)
      Verified Weight: 492 g (17.35 oz) per shoe
      Year of Purchase: 2007
      Model: Trail Meister
      MSRP: N/A

      * Product Description
      The Columbia Trail Meister is classified as a hiking shoe(normal low
      cut) as opposed to a boot. Sizing of the shoe appears to be the same
      as my normal non-hiking shoes: in this case a 10 US.

      This model and year of shoe appears to only have been available in a
      two tone colour consisting of grey toe and heel and the remainder

      Various materials have been used to form this shoe. The upper section
      is made from sanded suede and mesh, with a gusseted tongue and
      synthetic toe and heel overlays.

      The mid sole is made from moulded EVA with exposed nylon shank with
      the outer sole a non-marking Omni-Grip rubber compound with multi-
      directional lug tread pattern.

      The grip on the shoe, materials already noted, is quite chunky, and I
      expect the life of this to be long lasting.

      The inner sole is nicely padded and also shows no sign of decrease in
      loft/thickness, however like most shoes the material has started to
      attract dirt from walking that is not easily removed.

      The laces on the Trail Meister are round, as opposed to flat and
      also appear to be made of a good quality material and serve their
      purpose well. I am unable to find any details on their construction.

      The eyelets the laces are fed through are oval in shape which seems a
      very good idea to reduce wear.

      Gaiters are also well suited to this shoe. There is sufficient room
      in the underside arch for the gaiter strap to fit and the height of
      the shoe also means that protection from material trying to enter is
      great. The laces are also very well protected.

      The shoes are easy to care for and simply require warm water and a
      scrubbing brush, which I apply to all parts with no issues so far.

      Shoe cleaning is particularly important to stop the spread of disease
      while walking through native forest areas.

      * Test Locations
      Western Australia is known to bushwalkers for the Bibbulmun Track
      which runs from Perth to Albany (nearly 1000 km or 621 miles long).
      The many tracks that lead through this area also make up most of my

      The diversity of the track sections can range from well marked trails
      to overgrown and sometimes more challenging tracks to navigate. Old
      forest tracks and Park Ranger (Conservation And Land Management)
      gravel roads make up the
      majority of the access points to the track.

      Elevation is from sea level to 585 m (1,920 ft).

      The Trail Meisters have been used mainly around the Bibbulmun track
      as this is an area great for hiking. Walks can be from a few hours to
      6 weeks to complete end to end. All of my walking has been on this
      track and its surrounding areas.

      I have completed several sections of the track at the northern most
      end and spend several days out walking. The layout out the tracks
      means that I have been able to walk between huts which are generally
      one full days walk, 16 – 22 km (9.94 – 13.66 mi).

      I would estimate, and with some degree of accuracy by using my GPS,
      that I have clocked up over 500 km (311 miles) wearing these shoes.

      * Test Conditions
      According to Australia's main weather bureau, BOM, the annual mean
      maximum temperature is 24.4 C (76 F) and the annual mean minimum
      temperature is 12.6 C (55 F). The mean rainfall for the year is
      recorded as 40 mm.

      * Review

      The Trail Meisters are the first pair of hiking shoes I have
      purchased and so far I am very satisfied with them. Initially the low
      cost was a concern when so many others on the shelf were almost
      double the price. "You get what you pay for" went through my mind.

      I would also like to add that after the 3rd trip out while on an 80%
      off track walk I noticed that my laces had started to fray, no fault
      of the laces simply due to the rough terrain (before I discovered

      I hunted high a low for new ones and was unable to find something
      similar so I contact Columbia via email and had an immediate
      response. Still to my surprise Columbia sent me out two sets of
      replacement laces within one week totally free. Best customer service
      I have had in years.

      Water resistance is not very good as light wet shrub can cause wet
      feet. However it should be noted that I have not applied any sealer
      to the shoes which will be the
      next process to follow.

      The shoes have held up extremely well so far and I am very impressed
      with the construction.

      To date no blisters have formed which is surprising as this often
      happens in other shoes that I wear.

      * Conclusion
      I really found the Columbia Trail Meister shoes to be good value.

      Definitely a shoe to recommend, great all rounder.

      * Pros
      Light, very comfortable, hard wearing and affordable.

      * Cons
      Water resistance is an issue, walking through light/medium thick wet
      shrub has caused my feet to become quite wet.