Owner Review - Granite Gear Vapor Trail Backpack

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
      GRANITE GEAR VAPOR TRAIL
      BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      OR
      October 09, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL:
      AGE: 41
      LOCATION: Northern California
      GENDER: f
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 132 lb (59.90 kg)

      I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania and since then in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and now in the Sierra Nevada of California. Most of my trips are section hikes or loops from a few days to a week. I mostly hike in the summer and fall. I've recently discovered the virtues of lightening the load by updating some older gear, but I'm not an ultralight backpacker …yet.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Granite Gear
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: www.granitegear.com
      MSRP: US$160
      Listed Weight: 30.4 oz (862 g)
      Measured Weight: 30.4 oz (862 g)
      Other details: Tested version was Short Torso size

      The Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack has one large compartment that is accessed only from the top which is closed with a drawstring, then by rolling the excess material and securing two straps; one strap front to back and one strap from side to side. There is no top lid compartment. The main compartment has a volume of approximately 2600 cu. in. with the remainder in the extension sleeve. There are two side pockets made of stretchy material. Inside the main compartment is a pocket with compression straps for a hydration pack and a hydration port on one side. The shoulder strap is attached (non-adjustable). The suspension system can be adjusted at the shoulders with load lifter straps and at the hip belt with stabilizer straps.

      FIELD USE

      Field information
      a. Sierra Nevada mountains, CA
      b. 5,000'-12,000' rocky, mountainous terrain
      c. Summer conditions (30's-80's ºF)

      Lighter weight backpacking is the way to go! This pack saved me over 5 lbs. in pack weight alone. That I LOVE. Of course there are compromises that must be made for this weight savings. For one, it is not as durable as my old pack both in terms of handling abrasion and in terms of handling over stuffing. Secondly, the one main compartment (without any pack top compartment) requires some ingenuity in how to store/find your smaller items.
      As for durability, it seems that you need to develop the habit of setting down your pack with the strap side down and to carefully pack so that hard items are not directly touching the inside of the pack. My partner once set his down such that the back rubbed a granite boulder. The bear canister inside (with no soft padding around it) caused an abrasion on the pack. See photo <<Image 1>> and <<Image 2>>.

      For packing small items, I started carrying my most often used items in my pants pockets. The others I placed in the elastic pockets on one side of the pack. The other elastic pocket I used for fuel and/or a Nalgene bottle. NOTE: the elastic pockets have a hole (about 1" long) on the bottom corner of one side, so you have to be careful not to put too small of items near that area or they could fall out. I found it to work fine to just place them to the other side of that same pocket and the elastic held them in place. Of course you could also place them in a Ziploc bag first. It was difficult to access the pockets while wearing the pack, so I either took it off or had my partner do it.

      I used the space between the straps and pack for holding either my 60 oz or 100 oz hydration bladder. It helped to get all of the air out before trying to stuff it in. Inserting the bladder before loading the pack also helped. I never used the inside pocket for the hydration bladder for fear of a water leak, but I did find it useful for small items that are rarely used but need to be handy in a hurry such as my first aid kit, ace bandage and occasionally, map.

      My old Madden pack is infinitely adjustable with gel padded shoulder straps, so I expected the Vapor Trail to be less comfortable. However, surprisingly I found the Vapor Trail to be more comfortable and didn't cause the usual hip and shoulder sore spots. This was probably just due to my lower overall pack weight. I do wish the shoulder straps were adjustable, but the pack was still very comfortable. It did take some pack content re-organization to get the comfort-level just right. On the first trip, I had some heavier items too low in the pack and it was making me feel like I was being pulled backwards. Now I pack light clothes/sleeping bag at the bottom, heavier cookset/stove higher and between my shoulder blades with lighter items toward the outside.
      The 3,300 cu. in. (short size) includes the extension sleeve. However, only a portion of the extension could be used while allowing enough material to roll down to retain the water resistance. Also, the straps are not long enough to clip if you filled the entire extension sleeve. .My gear fit easily in the main portion, so I didn't use the extension sleeve.

      SUMMARY

      Overall, I would recommend this pack for anyone who is able to downsize on the amount of gear hauled. It works very well with a small load (that can fit in the main compartment of approx. 2600 cu. in). Its' durability and comfort seem well suited for this type of load. I carried up to 26.5 lbs. of gear in this pack with no problems. My hiking partner carried up to 33.5 lb in the Regular Torso size which fit in the main compartment with ease and was comfortable.
      My favorite thing about the pack is that it keeps you from packing too much gear! Granite Gear claims that 40% of AT thru hikers use this pack. Whether that is true or not, it means that even a thru hiker can fit everything you need in this pack. I saw a PCT thru hiker using this pack this summer.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Light weight
      Very comfortable
      Hydration bladder pocket

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Lighter duty durability
      Lack of pockets for organization

      SIGNATURE

      Nancy Griffith

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.

    • smjoin
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2009
        Owner Review of Granite Gear Vapor Trail Backpack
        by Steve Joiner

        Biographical Information:

        Name: Steve Joiner
        Age: 51
        Gender: Male
        Height: 6' (1.83 Meters)
        Weight: 215 Pounds (97.5 kilograms)
        Email address: joinerfamily@...
        City, State, Country: Atlanta, GA USA
        Date: xx/xx/xxxx

        I started backpacking 11 years ago when my oldest of my 3 sons joined the Boy Scouts. I carried my heavy car-camping gear and most of his gear on our first outings – averaging 55 pounds! I quickly decided that wasn't much fun and began watching the more experienced backpackers in our troop. As I began taking trips with other adults who were versed in lightweight gear philosophies and techniques, I decided that was for me! My summer base weight has gone down from 28 lbs (12.7 kilograms) to 8 lbs (3.6 kilograms) within a year or two of beginning backpacking with my sons.

        I grew up in the rural south where taking off for a few days to swim, fish, hunt, or just `goof off' was not unusual. We didn't really `backpack' (asking my parents to spend money on something frivolous like a backpack never entered my mind), but gathered everything we'd need in a bag that we could carry or take on our bicycles. The goal was to get into the `woods' and have fun. I now find that as an adult I have the same goal! So while I consider myself only a moderately experienced backpacker, I am an outdoorsman comfortable on my own in the backcountry.

        I'm a `3.5 -season' backpacker here in the southeast – generally taking a break in the heat of the summer. I try to get out at least one weekend a month during the rest of the year. Most of my trips are 2-3 day weekends in the mountains of north Georgia or North Carolina, with the occasional 4- or 5-day outing. I'm alone on about ½ of my trips. The other half is either with the Boy Scout Troop, one of my 3 sons, or adult friends. I have also hiked in Maryland and Virginia during an 8-month work assignment in Maryland. My `puppy' (my 7-year-old female Siberian Husky) accompanies me on most of my trips.

        Product Information

        Manufacturer: Granite Gear
        Year of Manufacture: 2003
        Company URL: www.granitegear.com
        Listed weight: 2 Pounds (0.91 Kilograms) - regular torso
        Listed capacity/volume: 3600 Cubic Inches (59 l) – regular torso
        Retail price: $145 (when purchased)
        Size purchased: large torso
        Weight as delivered: 2 Pounds (0.91 Kilograms)
        Measured capacity/volume: 3600 cubic centimeters

        One of several lightweight packs introduced during 2003, the Granite Gear Vapor Trail is a relatively full-featured top-loading lightweight pack designed to carry loads up to 30 pounds.

        Standard features include:

        • a robust suspension system, including an adjustable waist belt, load lifting straps, 2 side stabilizer straps, a sternum strap, and adjustable shoulder straps;
        • 2 adjustable compression straps across the front of the pack;
        • a separate hydration sleeve between the padding in the suspension system and the main compartment of the pack;
        • 2 external pockets at the bottom of each side of the pack.

        Notably, the pack does not have a top `lid,' but rather a large extension sleeve which folds and straps down like the old waterproof bags. There are 2 buckles for this purpose – one going from back-to-front and the other from side-to-side.

        I have used this pack exclusively for 6 years. It has been my pack for warm weather and cold weather hiking. It carries my winter gear, and it easily carries my summer gear. Over the last six years, I have taken a group of Boy Scouts to Shining Rock Gap in either January or February. We have hiked up the Little East Fork Trail from Camp Daniel Boone. The pack has handled my winter loads, where we have been prepared for single-digit temperatures and high winds.

        When my son was 11, we planned a 50 mile, 5 day trip on the AT in North Georgia. My pack weight, with 2 liters of water and almost all of our food for a 5 day trip, was 38 lbs. The pack easily carried our gear. I did notice, twice at the beginning of the trip, the pack "buckle" as I turned on a switchback to go uphill. This quickly straightened out as I adjusted the pack and continued walking. The "incident" was seconds long – and did not interrupt my trip. While the pack is rated to carry 30 lbs., I have frequently carried more than 30 lbs. and found the pack comfortable to carry.

        About a year ago, I noticed the pack waist belt beginning to tear at a seam where it came out of the sleeve on the pack. I took out the waist belt and sent it back to Granite Gear, using the form for this purpose available on their website. Within a few days, I received a call from them indicating that they would be sending me a new waist belt at no charge, and that they hoped the color would match my pack. I received the new waist belt within a few days of the call, and found it to be better than the original (to tighten the original waist belt, you pulled the straps out – the new belt has buckles where you pull the straps in – a dramatic improvement. I usually attached my dog's leash to my pack's waist belt. The original belt would quickly loosen as she pulled on it – the new belt does not loosen as easily.) Great customer service from Granite Gear!

        My youngest son and I are now planning a trip to Philmont next summer. I plan to carry my Vapor Trail, which I will have carried for 7 years at that time, with no doubt that it will comfortably carry the load and contribute to a great experience for the two of us!
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2009

          Edit Administration Manager
        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 15, 2009
            Hello Steve,

            Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take
            the following format;

            EDIT: must be changed

            When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the
            subject line. Include your name also please.

            Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may
            also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the
            proper form.

            A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with
            experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd
            like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by
            sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

            You have chosen to review a pack as your first review. We suggest that new
            reviewers start off with something a little less complicated, like a shirt or
            hat. But I will work with you. Just don't be too discouraged by the amount of
            initial edits.

            Ray

            ***Height: 6' (1.83 Meters)
            ***Weight: 215 Pounds (97.5 kilograms)

            EDIT: if you want to abbreviate measurements (`, or ft for "foot") then you need
            to abbreviate the others for consistency. Personally the edit staff would prefer
            to see this as,
            Height: 6 ft (1.83 m)
            Weight: 215 lb (97.5 kg)
            But if you want to spell them all out we will accept it.

            ***City, State, Country: Atlanta, GA USA

            EDIT: please spell out the state for the benefit of our international readers

            ***I started backpacking 11 years ago…

            EDIT: We have a 100 word limit on the bios. You are a bit over… Also remember
            that all weights and measurements need to have metric conversions, even in the
            bios.

            ***Listed weight: 2 Pounds (0.91 Kilograms) - regular torso

            EDIT: as you are writing a review about a product that while still produced, has
            changed you need to say what the listed was back then and what it is now. By the
            way I had your model and reviewed it. I know these packs well.

            ***Retail price: $145 (when purchased)

            EDIT: please put what it is now, not back when.

            ***Weight as delivered: 2 Pounds (0.91 Kilograms)

            Edit: you have weighed this? I have the same pack and it weighs more. Everybody
            I know that has it says it is 4 to 5 oz over spec. Where did you weigh it?

            EDIT: can you please add a Field Locations, or Field Data, etc section to your
            review listing some of the areas that you have used it, the approx elevation
            range, the temperatures if you remember, and the trail conditions. People
            reading about packs want some clarification of how and where they were used.
            Please look at some reviews and reports from veteran testers to see examples of
            this.

            ***One of several lightweight packs introduced during 2003, the Granite Gear
            Vapor
            Trail is a relatively full-featured top-loading lightweight pack designed to
            carry loads up to 30 pounds.

            EDIT: you need Metric (or Imperial) conversions for all measurements, weights,
            distances, etc. Please check for all instances of this.

            ***When my son was 11, we planned a 50 mile, 5 day trip on the AT in North
            Georgia.

            EDIT: 50-mile, 5-day trip on the Appalachian Trail (AP) in North Georgia.
            Please spell out abbreviations the first time they are used. After that feel
            free to "AT" all you want.

            *** I received the new waist belt within a few days of the call, and found it to
            be better than the original (to tighten the original waist belt, you pulled the
            straps out – the new belt has buckles where you pull the straps in

            EDIT: We keep everything in the first person, no "you"s, just "me" and "I".
            Here is my canned explanation.

            Projection

            "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and
            upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down
            the trail."

            This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other
            people" would do, not our self. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader.
            We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and
            "your" in our writing.

            We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to
            keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

            "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and
            upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the
            trail."
          • David Loome
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 16, 2009
              http://tinyurl.com/phuxkj

              Reviewed item: Titanium Goat ‘Ptarmigan’ bivy sack

              Tester:
              Name: David Loome
              Age: 22
              Height: 5 feet 9 inches / 1.75 meters
              Weight: 160 lb / 72.6 kilograms
              Location: Flagstaff, Arizona- U.S.A.
              Email: david.loome@...
              Website: www.davidloome.com

              Testers hiking background:
              I have hiked about 11,000 miles (17,700 kilometers) on and off trail throughout North America, including established trails (AT, PCT, CT, JMT, etc.) various routes, and numerous long distance hikes of my own design. I enjoy hiking in all sorts of conditions. I increasingly prefer routes and do-it-yourself hikes to established trails. I always pack very light, but am not a gram-counter. I know what I need, and simply strive to bring only those things. In gear, I value simplicity, functionality and durability. My base weight is usually between 8 and 10 lbs. (3.6 and 4.5 kilograms)

              Product information:

              Manufacturer: Titanium Goat (www.titaniumgoat.com)
              Year of manufacture: 2008
              Claimed weight: 5.8 ounces (165 grams) for bivy, stuff sack adds 0.2 oz (6 grams) confirmed accurate on testers scale.
              MSRP: $90-$115 US depending on options.

              Product description

              The Ptarmigan bivy is not waterproof and is not intended as a stand-alone backpacking shelter. This type of bivy is intended to compliment the sleeping/shelter system of the ultralight tarp camper: The bivy replaces a groundsheet, provides insect protection and additional protection from rain over-spray and from condensation or frost. It also adds a measure of warmth to a sleeping bag's temperature rating. When used in dry weather cowboy camping or within an 'AT' style shelter, the bivy makes a superb stand-alone shelter, providing additional warmth and insect protection while still allowing a view of the night sky, or without taking up the space of a tent inside a shelter.

              The top of the bivy is made of a lightweight, highly breathable DWR treated nylon and the bottom is waterproof siliconized nylon. The two-layer hood of the bivy contains a full bug-mesh hood, over which the DWR nylon hood may be optionally zipped for additional warmth/protection. Each hood has a single guy-out loop located above the face area to hold the hood off the occupants face. The loops can be attached under a tarp, an overhead branch, A trekking pole stuck into the ground, etc.

              The bivy is accessed by sliding feet first into a horizontal zippered opening at the top of the bivy at about the chest area, below the hood. The bivy is generously cut and will accommodate lofty bags and taller occupants, with a 76 inch (193 cm) chest girth, 48 inch (122 cm) foot girth, and an overall length of  87 inches (221 cm).

              The construction of the bivy is excellent. All components are accurately cut and sewed, and seams are well finished. All materials are high quality.

              Locations/Conditions of use

              I have used the Titanium Goat Ptarmigan bivy sack frequently over a period of four months in a variety of 3-season conditions while backpacking, rafting and cycling. I estimate that the bivy has been carried for approximately 1,200 trail miles (1,930 kilometers) and has been slept in 60 times. About 50% of the time, the bivy was used in conjunction with a tarp shelter (Golite Lair 1 tarp). The rest of the time, it was used by itself while cowboy camping or while under a different sheltering structure (trail shelter, etc.)

              I carry the Ptarmigan bivy whenever I am using a tarp as my primary shelter. I have used the bivy at elevations from 600 to 10,000 feet (183 to 3,048 meters) night time temperatures from 30-70 degrees Fahrenheit (1 to 21 degrees Celsius), conditions ranging from warm and dry, to cool and rainy, to dry and near-freezing. It has seen a lot of desert use and a variety of mixed use elsewhere. I should note that while I have experienced frost in the bivy, I have not used the bivy in extreme cold, and cannot vouch for its performance for winter use.

              Performance

              The Ptarmigan bivy has performed exceptionally well. The DWR top does protect against slight overspray and condensation, yet is highly breathable and has not yet condensed moisture within the bivy, even in humid, cool conditions. In most conditions, the top is so breathable that damp clothing or a damp sleeping bag will dry while inside the bivy.

              The silnylon floor and raised 'bath-tub' style seam adequately protects against wet ground. The full mesh hood offers total insect protection with excellent ventilation. The bivy is roomy enough to read inside, and to fit lofty winter bags. Getting in and out of the bivy and setting it up is easy. When used with my quilt, I also like how the bivy helps keep the quilt wrapped around me and eliminates drafts.

              For an ultra light product, the bivy is highly durable and shows few signs of wear- Only very slight abrasion of the nylon floor in a couple small areas. In order to protect the bivy floor, which is subject to the most abuse, I typically use my sleeping pad between it and the ground and place my backpack under my feet at night. The DWR finish on the nylon top becomes less effective over time, but this is easily remedied with an inexpensive DWR treatment. (Such as Revivex.)

              Summary

              The Titanium Goat Ptarmigan bivy is a highly functional and useful piece of gear, is well designed, and performs its intended functions very well. When compared to similar products, the Ptarmigan stands out for its low price, costing significantly less than functionally equivalent products with comparable weights. I would very highly recommend the Ptarmigan to anyone in the market for this type of bivy, particularly tarp and quilt users, and those in high bug areas who want a lightweight alternative to a tent.

              What I like
              -Exceptionally low weight for a variety of features and functions.
              -Simple, functional design.
              -Low price compared to functionally equivalent products by competing manufacturers.
              -Reduces pack weight by replacing ground sheet, etc.
              -High quality materials and construction.
              -Full bug protection and weighs just a few ounces!

              What I don’t like
              -Nothing. This is an outstanding product.

            • a_henrichs
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 21, 2009
                Hi David,

                Great job on the report! I have one comment below as well as one minor edit. Once you make the edit, you can post your first OR! Congratulations! You can find the folder in the Tarps and Bivys section of the Shelter category. Make sure you upload it as an Owner Review. Also, please delete your test html file from the Owner Review test folder.

                Once that is all done, get started on your second OR so you can test gear! Be sure to note that you are required to have a picture for your next OR.

                Again, congratulations and keep up the great work!

                Andy

                Comment: you may want to think about changing "@" to "at" and "." to "dot". Spammers seem to find clickable email links everywhere and BGT is not immune.

                >The loops can be attached under a tarp, an overhead branch, A trekking pole stuck into the ground, etc.
                EDIT: lowercase a before trekking pole
              • David Loome
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
                  After getting approval to upload my review, I included several pictures with my final review. These do not appear on the review page. Did I upload them incorrectly? Do pictures simply take longer to appear on the page? Thanks.

                  -Dave

                • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 2, 2009
                    BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com wrote on 10/01/2009 06:39:35 PM:

                    > After getting approval to upload my review, I included several
                    > pictures with my final review. These do not appear on the review
                    > page. Did I upload them incorrectly? Do pictures simply take longer
                    > to appear on the page? Thanks.
                    >
                    > -Dave

                    [JET] Can you provide the link to the report?

                    > --- On Mon, 9/21/09, a_henrichs <andyhenrichs@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Email: david.loome@ ...
                    > Comment: you may want to think about changing "@" to "at" and "." to
                    > "dot". Spammers seem to find clickable email links everywhere and
                    > BGT is not immune.

                    [JET] Actually we are. David has the site well protected, and I've never
                    gotten SPAM (that I know of) from posting my e-mail in a BGT report. That
                    being said, either format is acceptable (although SPAMMERS have figured
                    out "at" and "dot"... sneaky folks that they are).

                  • chcoa
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 3, 2009
                      Dave,

                      When you fix the picture issue please also add a date for your report, that's missing at the moment.
                      It should be clearly posted near the top.

                      Thanks,
                      Jamie D
                      Edit Admin Manager

                      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, David Loome <dloome@...> wrote:

                      > After getting approval to upload my review, I included several pictures with my final review. These do not appear on the review page. Did I upload them incorrectly? Do pictures simply take longer to appear on the page? Thanks.
                      >
                      > -Dave
                    • chcoa
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 3, 2009
                        RAY - Steve Joiner(1) - Granite Gear Vapor Trail Backpack - Posted Sep 7(msg#78193), Taken Sept 15, Edit Sep 15(msg#78235)

                        Hi Steve,
                        Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Ray back on Sept 15th. Please refer to message number 78235 at

                        Please let me know how you wish to proceed with this review so I can inform your editor and update the queue.

                        Edit Administration Manager