MSR PACKTOWL MIKE DAURIO OR (AGAIN)

  • mikejr232323
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2007
      It seems my postings never happened a couple of weeks ago. please
      accept this OR as new as I couldn't find the edits I needed to do.

      MSR PACKTOWL PERSONAL
      BY MIKE DAURIO JR.
      OR
      July 15, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Daurio Jr.
      EMAIL: mikejr232323@...
      AGE: 30
      LOCATION: Wonder Lake, Illinois USA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
      WEIGHT: 183 lb (83.00 kg)

      I am quite new to backpacking. My experience lies mostly as a canoe
      guide. My inspiration to get more into this sport/hobby was a
      backpack trip to Thailand in 2005. Due to my experience I am fond of
      lightweight, waterproof quality gear. I backpack in mainly hilly
      forested areas and of course near rivers and streams. I also do a
      lot of backpack traveling to other countries. I am a 3-season
      backpacker. Every year I spend time in the Ozarks in Missouri and in
      Voyageurs National Park in Minnesota. I'd love to explore
      Canyonlands National Park in Utah.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research
      "http://www.msrgear.com" LINK TEXT = "www.msrgear.com">>
      MSRP: US $ 34.95
      Listed Weight: 8.5 oz (240 g)
      Measured Weight: 7.1 oz (201 g)
      Other details: Reviewed is the Bath version. This is the largest
      model available
      Size: 25 x 54 in. (64 x 137 cm)

      Also available in Body: [Weight: 4 oz*. (115 g) Size: 17 x 36 in.
      (42 x 92 cm)]
      Hand: [Weight: 2 oz*. (50 g) Size: 12
      x 22 in.(31 x 57 cm)]
      x 14 in. (25 x 35 cm)]
      (*as stated on the manufacturer's
      website)

      All towels are primarily the same item, just cut to different sizes.
      They each include a vented carry bag specific to size. Each towel
      has a woven tag fastened to it that loops around and snaps to create
      an easy hanging loop.

      The Towel when in its bag has approximate dimensions of 1.25 in (4
      cm) thick by 10 in (25 cm) by 5 in (13 cm). The included bag has one
      mesh side and another consisting of two pieces of strategically cut
      and sewn nylon to form an opening to stuff the towel into . The two
      pieces are fastened to each other with a hook and loop type lock
      securing the towel in its case.
      Materials used to make the towel are 85% polyester 15% nylon
      microfiber blend as listed on MSR's website. It is available in two
      colors, Dusty Blue and Curry.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "TOWEL IN
      THE CARRY BAG">>

      FIELD USE

      I had purchased this towel before a ten day trip to Thailand. We
      flew in to Bangkok in 2005. After arriving and clearing customs we
      spent the night on the hard concrete floor in the airport. It was
      then and there that the towel made its first appearance on the trip.
      I took it out to use behind my head as a pillow and it did the
      trick. When I woke the towel was returned to the front pocket of my
      pack for quick access.
      After boarding a plane to the Phuket province and being met by our
      jungle guide Lek at the airport we made our way to the Khao Lak
      natural area. After arriving we packed a day pack and hiked up to a
      roaring water fall. We walked up and were drenched from the water
      falling from above. It was just what we needed after hiking about
      two miles (3.22 km) in temperatures around 95 F ( 35 C). When
      finished with our shower we dried off and relaxed in the sun. The
      towel was impressive with its absorbency. When done I shook the
      towel out and laid on it for about an hour on a large boulder. In
      the hot sun, the moisture evaporated from the towel except in the
      places resided upon by my body. They were still visibly wet. I
      packed it in the carry bag and back in the front pocket it went when
      we got back to the SUV. We proceeded another hour before stopping
      for lunch and a stop at one of the many Thai beaches on the Andaman
      Sea. When I unpacked the towel It was still cool, hinting a presence
      of moisture, but not visibly or physically wet. I spread it out on
      the beach and went for a snorkel. After the dip in the ocean I
      toweled off and laid out under the hot sun again. The towels
      dimensions are a little small for my stature, but fit my body well.
      My extremities did hang over the edges of the towel. The towels
      drying with the exception of where my body was, was again the case.
      I repeated my packing method and we headed to the jungle.
      We arrived at our residence for the next three days. It was a
      crude jungle hut. I hooked the towel through the provided hoop and
      went to sleep. The towel was dry in the morning and after passing
      the nose test it was packed in my daypack. I used it once as a
      small blanket to each lunch on. The towel saw tons of use over the
      next 8 days as a towel, blanket, and pillow as we traveled
      throughout southern Thailand and back north to Bangkok. My
      girlfriend even borrowed it to use as a head wrap.
      The fast evaporation of water from the towel seemed to limit the
      build up of any mildew or musty smell, which is important in the
      backpack traveling we were doing. I only had to launder the towel
      once on day seven. This was after we stopped off to ride elephants
      into the jungle. We allowed the elephants to bathe halfway through
      the trek and they enjoyed spraying us with the cool river water.
      After the shower provided by the elephants trunk the towel couldn't
      hold off the funk any longer. It was rotten. The towel didn't come
      with any instructions on care. It has been laundered in hot, cold,
      and warm water in separate washings. I have only used laundry
      detergent and have never used bleach. It has been air dried and also
      dried using a tumble dryer. The towel hasn't shrunk at all in the
      two years I've used it.
      The Packtowl Personal has been included in my pack on all of my
      trips since. I even bring it with on day hikes, mountain biking
      trips, and on my canoe trips, in case I experience rain, or it's
      great as a drop cloth when taking a break for lunch. It is very
      versatile in my everyday use also. It is brought with when going
      over to my friends house to swim. I have also brought it to some
      outdoor festivals to use as a blanket to sit on. I take it to the
      gym as a great space saving towel when I have to shower there. It is
      a perfect fit for my backpacking needs but it is always a bonus when
      a piece of gear is versatile enough to get use out of the field such
      as this.

      SUMMARY

      The Packtowl Personal is an versatile, lightweight, super absorbing,
      quick drying towel that is included in any packing that I do.

      THINGS I LIKE

      1. The main thing I like is how versatile this towel is. What makes
      it so versatile is the lightweight , compact design of the towel
      while in its storage bag.
      2. The super absorbency and quick drying of the towel is great while
      on the move in multiple day trips.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      I wish the towel had a bigger footprint when spread on the ground.
      I believe the portability would be compromised if it did however. It
      would add weight and size to the packed towel.

      SIGNATURE

      Mike J Daurio Jr.

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2007
        I did put into the queue as new but in case you are interested the
        edits are in message 74105.

        JAmie D
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
          Hi Mike,

          Thanks for the Owners Review. One thing that jumped out at me is the
          amount of edits needed that could (should) have been avoided by the
          use of a simple spell checker. I see you used the Report Writer, it
          has one. You have been doing this long enough now that you should be
          checking it yourself. A couple slipping by is one thing. This is
          overboard.

          Please repost here when you have made the corrections.

          Ray

          ***Also available in Body: [Weight: 4 oz. (115 g) Size: 17 x 36 in.
          (42 x 92 cm)]
          Hand: [Weight: 2 oz. (50 g) Size: 12 x 22 in.(31 x 57 cm)]

          Edit: it is OK to list the other sizes available, but there is no
          need to list the details of them as you are not reviewing them.

          ***All towels are primarily the same item, just cut to different
          sizes. They each include a vented carry bag specific to size. Each
          towel has

          EDIT: again please stick to describing the towel that you have, not
          the others. (My towel has a vented carry bag, etc.)

          ***a woven tag fastend to it that loops aroud and snaps to create an
          easy hanging loop.

          EDIT: "fastened" to it that loops "around"

          ***The Towel when in its bag have approximate dimensions of 1.25 in
          (4 cm). thick by 10 in (25 cm) by 5 in (13 cm).

          EDIT The "towel" (no cap) when in its bag "has" approximate
          dimensions of…

          ***The included bag has one mesh side and another consisting of two
          pieces of strategically cut and sewn nylon to form an opening to
          stuff the towel into . The

          EDIT: The included bag has one mesh side, "with the other" consisting
          of two pieces of strategically cut and sewn nylon to form an opening
          to stuff the towel into. (Period needs to be next to "into" has a
          space right now.)

          The two pieces are fastened to each other with a velcro type lock

          EDIT: either capitalize Velcro, or use hook-and-loop instead

          ***FIELD USE

          Edit: Your Field Report section is all jammed together as on big
          paragraph in your HTML. Can you throw some spaces in it?

          ***With OSHA not being present in Thailand we walked up and were
          drenched from the water falling from above.

          EDIT: you need to tell what that stands for the first time you use
          it. But what does OSHA have to do with your walk? Were you there as
          part of your job? Were you being unsafe?

          ***It was just what we needed after hiking about two miles in
          temperatures around 95 F ( 35 C).

          EDIT: delete extra space before 35

          ***The towel was impressive with its absorbancy.

          EDIT: absorbency

          ***We proceeded another hour before stopping for lunch and a stop at
          one of the many thai beaches on the Andaman Sea.

          EDIT: Thai

          ***After the dip in the ocean I towelled off and layed out under the
          hot sun again.

          EDIT: I toweled off and laid out under the hot sun

          ***The towels dimensions are a little small for my stature,

          EDIT: towel's

          ***The towels drying with the exception of where my body was, was
          agian the case.

          EDIT: this is garbled up. Do you mean, "Again", the towel dried with
          the exception of where my body was.

          ***I used it once as a small blanket to each lunch on.

          EDIT: eat

          ***The towel saw tons of use over the next 8 days as a towell,
          blanket,

          EDIT: towel (second one)

          ***and pillow as we travelled throughout southern Thailand

          EDIT: traveled

          ***and back north to bangkok.

          EDIT: Bangkok

          ***which is important in the backpack travelling we were doing.

          EDIT: Traveling

          ***The towell hasn't shrunk at all in the two years I've used it.

          EDIT: towel

          ***I even bring it with on day hikes, mountain biking trips, and on
          my canoe trips, in case I expierience rain

          EDIT: experience

          ***It is brought with when going over to my friends house to swim.

          EDIT: friend's

          ***The Packtowl Personal is an versitile, lightweight

          EDIT: versatile

          ***The main thing I like is how versitile this towel is.

          EDIT: same thing

          ***What makes it so versitlie is the lightweight , compact design of
          the towel

          EDIT: same thing

          ***The super absorbancy and quick drying of the towel is great whie
          on the move

          EDIT: The super "absorbency" and quick drying of the towel is
          great "while" on the move

          ***I belive the portability would be compromised if it did however.

          EDIT: believe
        • mikejr232323@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2007
            Ray,

               I have rerun the report through the generator's spell checker...  No other results were found.  I am a horrible speller and agree with your edits.  please don't think I'm lazy, but the spell checker on the generator never picked these up.  Is there an updated version?

            Thanks for the Owners Review. One thing that jumped out at me is the
            mount of edits needed that could (should) have been avoided by the
            se of a simple spell checker. I see you used the Report Writer, it
            as one. You have been doing this long enough now that you should be
            hecking it yourself. A couple slipping by is one thing. This is
            verboard.
            Please repost here when you have made the corrections.
            Ray

            **Also available in Body: [Weight: 4 oz. (115 g) Size: 17 x 36 in.
            42 x 92 cm)]
            and: [Weight: 2 oz. (50 g) Size: 12 x 22 in.(31 x 57 cm)]
            ace: [Weight: 1 oz.(25 g) Size: 10 x 14 in. (25 x 35 cm)]
            Edit: it is OK to list the other sizes available, but there is no
            eed to list the details of them as you are not reviewing them.

            ***All towels are primarily the same item, just cut to different
            izes. They each include a vented carry bag specific to size. Each
            owel has
            EDIT: again please stick to describing the towel that you have, not
            he others. (My towel has a vented carry bag, etc.)

            ***a woven tag fastend to it that loops aroud and snaps to create an
            asy hanging loop.
            EDIT: "fastened" to it that loops "around"

            ***The Towel when in its bag have approximate dimensions of 1.25 in
            4 cm). thick by 10 in (25 cm) by 5 in (13 cm).
            EDIT The "towel" (no cap) when in its bag "has" approximate
            imensions of…

            ***The included bag has one mesh side and another consisting of two
            ieces of strategically cut and sewn nylon to form an opening to
            tuff the towel into . The

            DIT: The included bag has one mesh side, "with the other" consisting
            f two pieces of strategically cut and sewn nylon to form an opening
            o stuff the towel into. (Period needs to be next to "into" has a
            pace right now.)

            The two pieces are fastened to each other with a velcro type lock
            EDIT: either capitalize Velcro, or use hook-and-loop instead

            ***FIELD USE
            Edit: Your Field Report section is all jammed together as on big
            aragraph in your HTML. Can you throw some spaces in it?

            ***With OSHA not being present in Thailand we walked up and were
            renched from the water falling from above.
            EDIT: you need to tell what that stands for the first time you use
            t. But what does OSHA have to do with your walk? Were you there as
            art of your job? Were you being unsafe?

            ***It was just what we needed after hiking about two miles in
            emperatures around 95 F ( 35 C).
[...]

            o read our reviews, please visit http://www.backpackgeartest.org/
            ahoo! Groups Links
            Individual Email | Traditional
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 10, 2007
              Okay I figured it out The version I have RERUN  is the corrected version.  I don't know how I sent the un corrected one.  I'll figure this out sooner or later.

              mike

                 I have rerun the report through the generator's spell checker...  No other
              esults were found.  I am a horrible speller and agree with your edits.  please
              on't think I'm lazy, but the spell checker on the generator never picked these
              p.  Is there an updated version?

              ubject: [BackpackGearTest] Edit: MSR PACKTOWL MIKE DAURIO OR

              i Mike,
              hanks for the Owners Review. One thing that jumped out at me is the
              ount of edits needed that could (should) have been avoided by the
              e of a simple spell checker. I see you used the Report Writer, it
              s one. You have been doing this long enough now that you should be
              ecking it yourself. A couple slipping by is one thing. This is
              erboard.
              lease repost here when you have made the corrections.
              ay

              *Also available in Body: [Weight: 4 oz. (115 g) Size: 17 x 36 in.
              2 x 92 cm)]
              nd: [Weight: 2 oz. (50 g) Size: 12 x 22 in.(31 x 57 cm)]
              ce: [Weight: 1 oz.(25 g) Size: 10 x 14 in. (25 x 35 cm)]
              dit: it is OK to list the other sizes available, but there is no
              ed to list the details of them as you are not reviewing them.
              ***All towels are primarily the same item, just cut to different
              zes. They each include a vented carry bag specific to size. Each
              wel has
              DIT: again please stick to describing the towel that you have, not
              e others. (My towel has a vented carry bag, etc.)
              ***a woven tag fastend to it that loops aroud and snaps to create an
              sy hanging loop.
              DIT: "fastened" to it that loops "around"
              ***The Towel when in its bag have approximate dimensions of 1.25 in
              cm). thick by 10 in (25 cm) by 5 in (13 cm).
              DIT The "towel" (no cap) when in its bag "has" approximate
              mensions of…
              ***The included bag has one mesh side and another consisting of two
              eces of strategically cut and sewn nylon to form an opening to
              uff the towel into . The
              DIT: The included bag has one mesh side, "with the other" consisting
              two pieces of strategically cut and sewn nylon to form an opening
              stuff the towel into. (Period needs to be next to "into" has a
              ace right now.)
              The two pieces are fastened to each other with a velcro type lock
              DIT: either capitalize Velcro, or use hook-and-loop instead
              ***FIELD USE
              dit: Your Field Report section is all jammed together as on big
              ragraph in your HTML. Can you throw some spaces in it?
              ***With OSHA not being present in Thailand we walked up and were
              enched from the water falling from above.
              DIT: you need to tell what that stands for the first time you use
              . But what does OSHA have to do with your walk? Were you there as
              rt of your job? Were you being unsafe?
              ***It was just what we needed after hiking about two miles in
              mperatures around 95 F ( 35 C).
              DIT: delete extra space before 35
              ***The towel was impressive with its absorbancy.
              DIT: absorbency
              ***We proceeded another hour before stopping for lunch and a stop at
              e of the many thai beaches on the Andaman Sea.
              DIT: Thai
              ***After the dip in the ocean I towelled off and layed out under the
              t sun again.
              DIT: I toweled off and laid out under the hot sun
              ***The towels dimensions are a little small for my stature,
              DIT: towel's
              ***The towels drying with the exception of where my body was, was
              ian the case.
              DIT: this is garbled up. Do you mean, "Again", the towel dried with
              e exception of where my body was.
              ***I used it once as a small blanket to each lunch on.
              DIT: eat
              ***The towel saw tons of use over the next 8 days as a towell,
              anket,
              DIT: towel (second one)
              ***and pillow as we travelled throughout southern Thailand
              DIT: traveled
              ***and back north to bangkok.
              DIT: Bangkok
              ***which is important in the backpack travelling we were doing.
              DIT: Traveling
              ***The towell hasn't shrunk at all in the two years I've used it.
              DIT: towel
              ***I even bring it with on day hikes, mountain biking trips, and on
              canoe trips, in case I expierience rain
              DIT: experience
              ***It is brought with when going over to my friends house to swim.
              DIT: friend's
              ***The Packtowl Personal is an versitile, lightweight
              DIT: versatile

              *The main thing I like is how versitile this towel is.
              DIT: same thing
              ***What makes it so versitlie is the lightweight , compact design of
              e towel
              DIT: same thing
              ***The super absorbancy and quick drying of the towel is great whie
              the move
              DIT: The super "absorbency" and quick drying of the towel is
              eat "while" on the move
              ***I belive the portability would be compromised if it did however.
              DIT: believe

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 10, 2007
                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, mikejr232323@... wrote:

                > Ray,
                >

                >    I have rerun the report through the generator's spell
                checker...  No other results were found.  I am a horrible speller
                and agree with your edits.  please don't think I'm lazy, but the
                spell checker on the generator never picked these up.  Is there an
                updated version?

                Hi Mike,

                Not that I know of. I write all my stuff in Word and then transfer it
                (cut-and-paste) into the Report Writer. I have been using Word since
                ver.2.0 so it is just what I am used to. If you have a word
                processing program maybe you should check it in that first.

                I have heard other people complain about the spell check function of
                the Writer. But I put your review in it and hit spell check and it
                came up with 17 of them. Are you hitting the button that says Spell
                Check?

                Did you repost the review?