Owner Review: FireLite Titanium Esbit Wing Stove - Pam Wyant

  • pamwyant
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007
      It has been a while since I've done an owner review. I think I am a
      little rusty, but here is one for the monthly OR call.

      I'm not 100% sure on the manufacturer - I could not find Firelite
      anywhere on the web, and the stove says BackpackingLight.com on it,
      and their website says it is exclusive, so I've called them the
      manufacturer. If this isn't correct, some one let me know and I'll
      fix it.

      Pam

      ************************

      HTML version here:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/FireLite%
      20Titanium%20Esbit%20Stove/

      OR: http://tinyurl.com/3auc64

      Owner Review: FireLite Titanium Esbit Wing Stove
      Reviewed October 2007

      Photos Opened stove top view
      Open stove side view

      Owner Information:

      Name: Pam Wyant
      Age: 50
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Weight: 165 lb (77 kg)
      Shoe size: U.S. women's 9 M
      E-mail address: pamwyant(at)yahoo(dot)com
      Location: Western West Virginia, U.S.A.

      Backpacking Background:

      Pursuing a long-time interest, I started backpacking four years ago,
      beginning with day-hiking and single overnights. Currently I'm
      mostly a `weekend warrior' and mainly hike and backpack in the hills
      and valleys of West Virginia, but have section hiked longer parts of
      the southern portion of the Appalachian Trail (AT) the past two
      years. My usual shelter is a hammock but I sometimes use a tent. In
      general my backpacking style is lightweight and minimalist, and I try
      to cut as much pack weight as I can without sacrificing warmth,
      comfort, or safety.

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: BackpackingLight.com
      Manufacturer Website: www.backpackinglight.com
      Year of manufacture: 2006
      MSRP: $19.99

      Stated weight: 0.38 oz (11 g)
      Measured weight: 0.4 oz (11 g); measured on scales accurate to 0.1 oz

      Stated open size: 1.85 x 4.2 in (4.7 x 11 cm)
      Measured size: open size consistent with stated size; folded size
      approx. 2 x 3 in (5 x 8 cm)

      Photo - Closed stove side view

      Product Description:
      The FireLite Titanium Esbit Wing Stove is a simply designed folding
      stove for burning solid fuel tablets such as Esbit. The stove is
      made from titanium, and is configured with three 'legs' that fold and
      unfold around a small square receptacle in the center sized to hold a
      normal size Esbit tablet (approx. 1 x 1.5 in or 2.5 x 4 cm). The
      legs are connected to the tablet holder with a small rivet. They
      have a unique twisted shape at the base, which changes the vertically
      oriented 'pot holder' part of the leg into the horizontally oriented
      segment that fits flat under the tablet holder. The top of the legs
      are sloped and have small serrations. This configuration is designed
      to allow the stove to be allowed with different sized cups and pots.
      Larger pots can rest on the top of the legs, and smaller cups can
      rest on the serrated edges. The words BackpackingLight.com and
      Titanium are etched into the side of one leg.

      Field Information:
      I received the stove as a Christmas gift from my family in 2006 and
      have used it on several weekend backpacking trips during 2007, mainly
      in the Monongahela National Forest in eastern West Virginia, along
      with a few overnight and weekend trips in western or central West
      Virginia. Elevations have ranged from approximately 700 to 4000 ft
      (200 to 1200 m); temperatures from 40 to 80 F (4 to 27 C). Weather
      conditions have included light rain and light wind, but it has mainly
      been used in clear, calm conditions.

      Use:
      Photo - Closed stove top view

      I have used the FireLite stove with FireLite 14 g size solid fuel
      tablets. Originally I was interested in using it with a pot I made
      from a Foster's beer can, but I found the shape of the stove and the
      shape of the beer can did not get along. This was disappointing to
      me since the main reason I was interested in the FireLite stove was
      for weight savings, and the beer can pot is the lightest pot I have
      been able to find.

      I tried using it with the smaller pot from my GSI Hard Anodized
      Boiler Cookset, but I found the design of the bottom of this pot did
      not work very well, and the pot seemed very unstable. In fact, I had
      it slide off the stove a few times and spill my water as it was
      heating.

      I then purchased an AntiGravityGear 3 Cup Hard Anodized Cook Pot,
      thinking the handle less design would keep the pot better balanced on
      the stove. It did help slightly, but I have still had trouble with
      the pot tending to slide off the stove if it is not perfectly level.
      Even clamping a lifter to the pot has been enough to knock it off
      balance, so I have to be very careful while lifting the pot off the
      stove not to jar it with the lifter.

      So far, I have not really found a pot that I feel confident in using
      on the stove in the types of areas I camp in. Level ground is really
      hard to come by in West Virginia, and not having the stove level
      makes it very difficult to keep a pot balanced on the top of the
      legs. Due to the sloped design of the legs, a smaller mug style pot
      might be easier to keep balanced, but so fair I haven't persuaded
      myself to spend the extra dollars necessary to buy a titanium cup.
      My $2 beer can pot is still lighter! Unfortunately it will not work
      with this stove.

      The FireLite tablets fit very well inside the tablet holder. The
      stove does seem optimally configured to keep the fuel tablet at the
      right distance from the bottom of the pot, based on the fact that
      one tablet has always worked to bring 2 cups (1/2 liter) of water to
      a boil (using a lid on the pot), and that most of the flame is
      concentrated under the pot with very little spilling up the sides.
      Usually it takes from 4-7 minutes to boil a potful of water,
      depending on weather conditions. I have often used the stove without
      a windscreen in calmer conditions, using a light foil windscreen if
      it is a little windy.

      When I use the stove I usually place a small scrap of foil around the
      fuel tablet forming sort of a tray to fit inside the tablet holder on
      the stove. This prevents a lot of residue from being left on the
      stove, and I can just wad the foil up and drop it into my bag of
      trash to pack out. This does make it a little harder to light the
      tablet, so I try to flair the foil away from the tablet a bit at the
      top. The routine I've more or less settled into is to find a spot
      for the stove, test the pot balance on it, remove the pot, lift the
      stove and light one edge of the fuel tablet with a lighter, replace
      the stove, add the pot, and loosely wrap a piece of foil around the
      pot for the windscreen if needed. Alternately, I can use a match to
      light the fuel tablet while the stove is sitting on the ground with
      the pot already in place, but this is sometimes a little trickier.
      If I'm not careful, I can knock the pot of water off the stove easily
      when I light it this way, or the match can blow out. I am just not
      coordinated enough to manage to light the fuel tablet with a lighter
      when it is near ground level, at least not without burning a finger
      in the process.

      To store the stove in my pack, I simply swing the three legs
      together. They are shaped so they fit nest neatly together on one
      side, and the rectangular tablet holder sits on the opposite side. I
      usually wrap the stove in a piece of a Handi-Wipe (to prevent
      scratching) and stow it inside my cook pot with a small cup, lighter,
      matches, and pot lifter. The folded stove takes up very little room.

      The stove seems to be of good quality. Other than some slight
      discoloration of the metal from heat, no changes in the stove are
      evident after several months of use.

      really in the way it works, but in the trouble I have had finding a
      pot that is stable on it. My cook gear philosophy is to be as light,
      simple, and inexpensive as possible. The cost of the stove itself
      seems reasonable given the materials and workmanship, but I am
      disappointed that it cannot be used with beer can pots, which are
      both very light and very cheap. I'm also disappointed that it is not
      very stable with my other small, light pots.

      Although the stove is very light, I would not purchase the FireLite
      Titanium Esbit Wing Stove again, since there are options out there
      for homemade pots and Esbit tab holders that are not only cheaper,
      but lighter, when the whole system is considered together.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007
          Hi Pam,

          Thanks for the review for the call. This is a stove? Just kidding.
          Colleen showed me hers. I thought it was a three person folding
          toothpick…

          Edits follow. You can put it here;

          http://tinyurl.com/2xy27l

          Ray

          ***Manufacturer: BackpackingLight.com

          EDIT: OK, this took some digging. The actual company is Backpacking
          Light, backpackinglight.com is the online presence. The works seems
          to be owned by Beartooth Mountain Press, or is it just the publisher?
          FireLite seems to be a house brand. I would say go with "Backpacking
          Light". (Whew…)

          ***Manufacturer Website: www.backpackinglight.com

          EDIT: this link is trying to go to a defunct OR on the BGT site

          ***Stated weight: 0.38 oz (11 g)
          ***Measured weight: 0.4 oz (11 g)

          Edit: since you are dealing with an item made for and by you gram
          weenies ;-) I have no problem with you using the more accurate 10.8
          and 11.3 g numbers. Your people will like it better…

          ***which changes the vertically oriented 'pot holder' part of the leg
          into the horizontally oriented segment that fits flat under the
          tablet holder.

          EDIT: I am seeing an extra space before segment in the HTML

          ***This configuration is designed to allow the stove to be allowed
          with different sized cups and pots.

          EDIT: "used" with different sized cups…

          I have used the FireLite stove with FireLite 14 g size solid fuel
          tablets.

          EDIT: conversion? (0.48 oz)

          ***Originally I was interested in using it with a pot I made from a
          Foster's beer can, but I found the shape of the stove and the shape
          of the beer can did not get along. This was disappointing to me
          since…

          Comment: …I was looking forward to drinking lots of Fosters in the
          interest of cooking. (He he)

          ***The stove does seem optimally configured to keep the fuel tablet
          at the right distance from the bottom of the pot, based on the fact
          that one tablet

          Edit: I am seeing an extra space at "the fact"

          ***Usually it takes from 4-7 minutes to boil a potful of water,

          Edit: pot full

          ***This prevents a lot of residue from being left on the stove

          Edit: I see an extra space after "of"
        • pamwyant
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007
            Thanks Ray. I made all the corrections and got it uploaded.

            <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > Hi Pam,
            >
            > Thanks for the review for the call. This is a stove? Just kidding.
            > Colleen showed me hers. I thought it was a three person folding
            > toothpick…

            Yep, we gram weenies will try to cook on anything as long as it is
            ultra light. If those darn wooden toothpicks wouldn't catch on fire so
            easily we'd be all set.

            <grin>

            Pam