OR - REI Ti Ware Spoon Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2007
      Here is a review for the call. It is actually hard to write about
      simple items! I can not think of any way to make this better or
      longer. Please help me mystery editor…

      HTML may be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/ywboo5

      REI Ti Ware Long-Handle Spoon
      by Raymond Estrella

      OWNER REVIEW
      October 03, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrella@...
      AGE: 47
      LOCATION: Huntington Beach California USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and
      in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my brother-in-law Dave or fiancée Jenn.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI)
      Web site: www.rei.com
      Product: Ti Ware Long-Handle Spoon
      Year manufactured: 2007
      MSRP: $ 9.95 (US)
      Weight listed: 0.7 oz (19.8 g)
      Actual weight: 0.6 oz (17 g)
      Length listed: 8.5 in (21.6 cm) Verified accurate
      Material: Titanium
      Warranty: (from hang tag), "100% satisfaction guaranteed".

      Product Description

      The REI Ti Ware long-handle spoon (hereafter called the spoon) is a
      lightweight titanium spoon with an extra long handle that is
      positioned to appeal to the ultra-light crowd.

      As seen above the titanium is much shinier than other Ti cooking
      accessories that I own. (See link at end of review.) It looks as
      though it was made by stamping the spoon out on a die. The edges have
      been meticulously smoothed off though. I can not find a single rough
      spot along the edge.

      The handle has a raised center giving it added rigidity to compliment
      the inherent strength of the titanium. It has the REI logo and the Ti
      Ware logo etched into the handle. An oblong hole has been punched out
      of the end of the handle. According to REI the added length is to
      help get to the bottom of a freeze-dried meal bag or Jetboil pot.

      The bowl or ladle of the spoon measures 1.5 in wide by 1.75 in wide.
      (3.8 x 4.5 cm) It is squared off at the ends to facilitate getting
      into the bottom of bowls and cups. It is also set at an angle to the
      handle to help get the last vestiges of nutrition out more easily.

      Field Conditions

      I have used the REI spoon in backpacking camp sites along hundreds of
      miles (km) of the Pacific Crest Trail from the Santa Rosa Mountains
      in the south to the Sierra Nevada to the north. It has been used at
      elevations ranging from 3000' to 12000' (900 - 3660 m) and in temps
      from freezing to 92 F (33 C).

      I used it on a four-day 84 mile (135 km) trip in Kings Canyon
      National Park. Elevations were from 5100' to 12300' (1554 to 3749 m)
      and temps from just below freezing to 91 F (33 C).

      It saw use for four days on a backpacking trip in Grand Teton
      National Park. Temperatures ranged from 35 to 82 F (2 to 28 C).
      Elevations ranged from 6790' to 10675' (2070 to 3254 m).

      It was also used for a few trailhead camp sites in the Sierra Nevada
      and some car camping in Yellowstone National Park.

      It has been used in Utah a few times also. This has been a very busy
      hiking year for me, and the REI spoon has been along for all of it.

      Observations

      I bought the REI spoon at the beginning of April on a whim while
      purchasing maps. As seen in my MealGear spork review I have been in
      search of the perfect eating utensil for a long time. I just do not
      need the tines of a spork, and when I saw the size, length and weight
      of this spoon I had to try it. (I got one as an Easter gift for my
      fiancée too. Aren't I romantic? Must mean I like spooning…)

      I liked it right away. The construction is simple and impeccable.
      There is not a rough spot anywhere along the edges of the spoon.
      (Either of them.) I am not sure what the hole is for in the handle.
      Maybe to tie a lanyard to for use on a porta-ledge…

      It is very strong. Mine got sat on with no detriment to the spoon. I
      won't comment on the part that sat on it. I have seen no bending of
      the spoon so far.

      The length is just about perfect. It is great for freezer bag
      cooking. It fits into freezer-bags and FoodSaver bags well. Some of
      my bigger freeze-dried meals would benefit from another inch (2.5 cm)
      in length. If they made one 10 in (25 cm) long I would buy it. The
      highly polished finish of the spoon makes it easy to lick off the
      food that clings to it from digging deep into the bags. That keeps it
      off my hands. Here is a picture of it in use in the Santa Rosa
      Mountains.

      I can't really think of more to say about it. It seems to be a close
      to perfect as I can find at this time. But who knows, maybe I will
      find another "perfect" eating utensil. Check this same Bat Channel
      for updates…
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • pamwyant
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2007
          Hi Ray, I had to look really hard to find anything to comment on as
          far as what you wrote.

          > I used it on a four-day 84 mile (135 km) trip in Kings Canyon
          > National Park. Elevations were from 5100' to 12300' (1554 to 3749
          m)

          ### Comment: Tiny nit - you could round the elevations to the
          nearest 100 meters, similar to the rounding used for the elevation in
          feet. This is optional and entirely up to you.

          Now, you asked for suggestions of things to add/lengthen the report.

          The only things that come to mind as I read the report is whether the
          spoon transfers a lot of heat from hot food due to the transfer
          properties of titanium. (A friend of mine burnt her lip on a Ti
          Spork eating food that was hot). Does the handle get too hot if food
          needs stirred a lot? (Assuming you do any real cooking - I don't!)
          Equally, is it uncomfortably cold to hold the handle in freezing
          weather?

          Is the bowl very deep? Does it work as well for soup as for pasta
          dishes? Does the angled design make it difficult to eat some foods
          or use in some containers?

          Is it easy to pack? Where do you store it? I don't imagine it fits
          inside pots (of course if a spoon fits inside the pot, it probably is
          too short to effectively eat out of that pot).

          Is it useful for anything else? Emergency trowel, tent stake, etc.

          That's all that comes to mind. If you want to add anything feel
          free, if not you are cleared for upload:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Utensils/REI%20Ti%
          20Ware%20Long-Handle%20Spoon/

          BTW, I thought you were Joker, not Batman. <grin>
        • pamwyant
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2007
            Oops. I forgot the proper title earlier.

            Pam

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2007
              Hi Pam,

              Thanks for the edits. I added a few paragraphs along the lines you
              suggested. Good call. I rounded off the numbers some too.

              Ray
            • pamwyant
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2007
                Looks great Ray. I like the info you added.

                Pam