OWNER REVIEW - Columbia Trail Meister

  • markmclauchlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2007
      Owner Review Columbia Trail Meister
      Date: Sunday, 30 September 2007

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Mark McLauchlin
      Age: 29
      Gender: Male
      Height: 1.76 m (5 _ 9 _ )
      Weight: 87 kg (191 lb)
      Email: mark at swanvalleyit.com.au
      City: Perth, Western Australia

      * Backpacking Background
      I have been hiking for approximately 12 months with most of my hiking
      consisting of day walks (average of 16kms) and short overnight trips
      where possible.

      Most of my hiking is on trail with the occasional trek through the
      thick bush. Some walks involve quite steep rises in the terrain which
      can prove to be quite a workout.

      So far I have camped out in temperatures as low as 5 C (41 F) and
      walked in temperatures up to 38 C (100 F).

      * Test Conditions
      My usual hiking area is in the Perth Hills, mainly Kalamunda area,
      along the <a href="http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org">Bibbulmun track
      (Perth to Albany nearly 1000 Kms OR 620 Miles long).

      * Product Information
      Manufacturer: Columbia
      Manufacturer's URL: www.columbia.com
      Year of manufacturer: 2006
      Year of Purchase: 2007
      Model: Trail Meister
      MSRP: AU $129.95

      * Review
      The Trail Meister are the first pair of hiking shoes I have purchased
      and so far I am very satisfied with them. Initially the low cost was
      a concern when so many others on the shelf were almost double the
      price,
      "You get what you pay for" went through my mind.

      The Omni-Grip sole technology provides some great traction. One of
      the first large group walks I participated in was on old track
      comprised of gravel which proved to be very unsteady for many people,
      I can honestly say I had no trouble staying on my feet.

      There is no noticeable cosmetic wear on the shoes at this stage, they
      are holding up very well and internal sole padding has not suffered
      either. I wear thin ankle socks with these shoes as I find any thick
      socks to be restrictive
      and seem to cause me more problems with blisters for example.

      I would also like to add that after the 3rd trip out while on an 80%
      off track walk I noticed that my laces had started to fray, no fault
      of the laces simply due to the rough terrain (before I discovered
      Gators).
      Hunted high a low for new ones and was unable to find something
      similar so I contact Columbia via email and had an immediate
      response. Still to my surprise Columbia sent me out two sets of
      replacement
      laces within one week totally free. Best customer service I have had
      in years.

      * Conclusion
      I really found the Columbia Trail Meister shoes to be good value. I
      have walked approximately 11 days in them in various locations around
      Western Australia, in both high temperatures and heavy rain.
      To date no blisters have formed which is surprising as this often
      happens in other shoes that I wear.
      Definitely a shoe to recommend, great all rounder.

      * Pros
      Light, very comfortable and affordable

      * Cons
      Water resistance is not very good, light wet under growth can cause
      wet feet. Next step is to try a water sealer