OR - Princeton Tec Attitude Flashlight - Sheila

  • S
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2007
      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/3dlpuz

      PRINCETON TEC ATTITUDE
      HANDHELD FLASHLIGHT

      OWNER REVIEW
      Date: September 5, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION
      Name: Sheila Morrissey
      Age: 27
      Gender: female
      Height: 5 ft 8 in (1.7 m)
      Weight: 155 lb (68 kg)
      Email address: geosheila(at)yahoo(dot)com
      City, State, Country: Goleta, California, USA

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      I enjoy hiking and backpacking in the Sierra Nevada and Los Padres National Forest with
      friends and my dog. Including consumables, my pack is usually around 25 lb (11 kg). Since
      2002, I have always hiked with an Attitude flashlight and sometimes also carry a
      headlamp.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer: Princeton Tec
      Year: 2002
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.princetontec.com
      Listed Weight: 70 g (2.5 oz)
      Listed Power: 12 lm
      Listed Burn Time: 150 h
      Measured Weight: 2.5 oz (71 g)
      Measured Length: 5 in (13 cm)
      Measured Lens Diameter: 1 in (2.5 cm)
      MSRP: N/A

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
      The five-inch-long Attitude flashlight has three white light-emitting diodes (LEDs)
      powered by four AAA batteries, all encased in polycarbonate. The head of the flashlight
      twists clockwise to turn it on and counter-clockwise to change the batteries. According to
      Princeton Tec, the Attitude is waterproof to 100 m (330 ft). It has a wide-focused beam
      that can reach 20 m (65 ft), but that works best at close range.

      The polycarbonate housings on newer Attitude flashlights have a new ergonomic design
      and clip that my Attitude doesn't have, but mine has a keyring and lanyard at the end of
      the flashlight. Both the newer and older versions of the Attitude flashlights use the same
      technology and only differ in these slight changes to the housing.

      FIELD USE CONDITIONS
      My Attitude flashlight was my first LED light and it has survived five years of backpacking,
      camping and working at temperatures ranging from 5 F (-15 C) to 110 F (43 C) and
      altitudes from 280 ft (85 m) below sea level to 11,000 ft (3,350 m) above sea level.

      FIELD USE RESULTS
      I always bring my Attitude flashlight when backpacking or car camping because I know it
      will work. I have used it frequently during the past five years, sometimes accidently
      tossing it onto rocks or into snow, and it has proven to be quite durable. I have never
      submerged the flashlight and actually didn't realize it was waterproof until I started writing
      this review. I find that headlamps are sometimes more convenient, so I occasionally bring
      along an additional headlamp on my trips, but I never leave the Attitude behind because it
      is more durable than any other flashlight or headlamp I have owned. In fact, at home I
      keep this flashlight on hand as my earthquake/emergency light.

      The Attitude is also very small and light weight for a handheld flashlight. I can easily
      squeeze it into the small side pockets of my backpack. When I don't have a headlamp, I
      can comfortably slide the Attitude flashlight into the band of my beanie and use it as a
      headlamp.

      I like the wide focus of the Attitude flashlight because it makes reading and following a
      trail by flashlight easy by providing a wide spread of light that brightens an entire page of
      a book or the entire width of a trail. A narrowly-focused light that would better illuminate
      a faraway sign, but that would offer less peripheral vision. In college, I spent many
      weekends doing field courses and studying for other classes by the light of my Attitude at
      night in my tent. More recently, I have been backpacking after dark because we weren't
      able to get up to the mountains before the sun went down and I managed to not fall off a
      cliff while using my Attitude to light the trail.

      The battery life is very long. I'm not sure exactly how long it is, but I know that I've only
      changed the batteries a few times in the years I've owned this flashlight. However, the
      brightness of the light diminishes significantly over time as the batteries drain. I always
      forget to change the batteries until the light is barely visible and then am surprised by how
      well the light works with fresh batteries.

      PROS
      Very durable
      Light weight
      Comfortably fits in my beanie to use occasionally as a headlamp
      Long battery life
      Wide focus is good for reading and following a trail at night

      CONS
      Battery power fades gradually and I forget to change the batteries
      Wide focus is not good for illuminating signs more than a few meters away
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
          Hi Sheila,

          Thanks for the review, your edits will follow. You can put the
          corrected version here:

          http://tinyurl.com/2uf2aj

          I have to ask a weird question. Why does the name on the case
          say "Altitude"? I know that they make an "Attitude" and I can find no
          reference to a model named Altitude. Did you notice that?

          Ray

          ***Listed Power: 12 lm

          Comment: it may be more informative to spell out lumens as it is not
          a common abbreviation

          ***The five-inch-long Attitude flashlight

          EDIT: "five-inch long" and metric conversion please. I know it was in
          the specs already but the rules say,
          Rules for Measurements. (From the Survival Guide)
          1. Including information in both Imperial and Metric units is
          required

          ***The head of the flashlight twists clockwise to turn it on and
          counter-clockwise to change the batteries.

          Edit: does not turning it counter-clockwise turn it off, and when
          taken further unscrew the head to allow access to the batteries?

          ***sometimes accidently tossing it onto rocks or into snow,

          EDIT: accidentally

          ***A narrowly-focused light that would better illuminate a faraway
          sign, but that would offer less peripheral vision.

          Edit: this sentence does not make sense to me. It needs to be either
          started or ended differently. Are you saying that "it also has a
          narrowly focused light"?
        • S
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
            Hehe...that was EXACTLY my confusion at first!
            It really does say "ATTITUDE" but it is with a very silly font that only has the little tag on
            the T's going off to the right (and not to the left). If you zoom in on the figure, or check
            out the third T in attiTude, you'll see what I'm talking about.
            So nope, it doesn't actually say "Altitude." :)

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "rayestrella1" <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sheila,
            >
            > Thanks for the review, your edits will follow. You can put the
            > corrected version here:
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/2uf2aj
            >

            > I have to ask a weird question. Why does the name on the case
            > say "Altitude"? I know that they make an "Attitude" and I can find no
            > reference to a model named Altitude. Did you notice that?
            >
            > Ray
            >

            > ***Listed Power: 12 lm
            >
            > Comment: it may be more informative to spell out lumens as it is not
            > a common abbreviation
            >

            > ***The five-inch-long Attitude flashlight
            >
            > EDIT: "five-inch long" and metric conversion please. I know it was in
            > the specs already but the rules say,
            > Rules for Measurements. (From the Survival Guide)
            > 1. Including information in both Imperial and Metric units is
            > required
            >

            > ***The head of the flashlight twists clockwise to turn it on and
            > counter-clockwise to change the batteries.
            >
            > Edit: does not turning it counter-clockwise turn it off, and when
            > taken further unscrew the head to allow access to the batteries?
            >

            > ***sometimes accidently tossing it onto rocks or into snow,
            >
            > EDIT: accidentally
            >

            > ***A narrowly-focused light that would better illuminate a faraway
            > sign, but that would offer less peripheral vision.
            >
            > Edit: this sentence does not make sense to me. It needs to be either
            > started or ended differently. Are you saying that "it also has a
            > narrowly focused light"?

          • S
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
              Hi Ray,

              I made the corrections and have uploaded the OR here:
              http://tinyurl.com/2yeg67

              I also wanted to mention that Jamie had me change the link on the Nalgene OR (I'd put
              thermofisher.com instead of nalgene-outdoors.com), so since you were the editor, thought
              you should know that that correction has been made and the OR was re-uploaded.

              Sheila