OR - Victorinox Picnicker Knife - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2007
      And here is one for the other category. The HTML may be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/2sodml

      Now I am going to go read.

      Ray

      Victorinox Picnicker (Swiss Army Knife)
      By Raymond Estrella

      OWNER REVIEW
      September 05, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrella@...
      AGE: 46
      LOCATION: Huntington Beach California USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and
      in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my brother-in-law Dave or fiancée Jenn.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: Victorinox AG
      Web site: www.victorinox.ch
      Model: Picnicker
      Model number: 0.8853
      Length listed: 4.37 in (111 mm)
      Actual length closed: 4.3 in (109 mm)
      Actual length open: 7.7 in (196 mm)
      Weight listed: N/A
      Actual weight: 2.8 oz (79 g)
      MSRP: N/A
      Also made as style 0.8853.W with serrated cutting edge on knife blade

      Product Description

      The Victorinox Picnicker (hereafter called the Picnicker or knife) is
      a multi-function tool that has 11 tools in one body.

      The handles are made of red nylon. They are rounded off and have a
      comfortable grip that is wavy on one face (where the fingers are when
      the blade is down) to fit a hand more naturally. Here is a picture of
      the knife with everything open and out. The tools are identified
      below.

      1: reamer, punch
      2: locking blade with 3.2 in (81 mm) cutting surface
      3: small flat screwdriver
      4: can opener
      5: tweezers
      6: wire stripper
      7: bottle opener
      8: larger flat screwdriver
      9: toothpick
      10: key ring
      11: corkscrew

      The knife uses a sliding lock on the outside of the handle. The way
      that it works is when the blade is open fully it pushes past a
      metal "tooth" that uses a camming action to snap into a notch in the
      blade that is exposed when the blade rotates past it. By sliding the
      exterior knurled switch down, the tooth pulls out of the notch
      allowing the blade to be closed.

      None of the tools protrude from the handles in such a way that they
      will catch on the inside of my pocket or pack. All are easy to open
      with the exception of the punch.

      Field Conditions

      I do not know where to even start as far as where this knife has
      been. From the south up it has been carried and used in the following
      parks and forests.

      San Jacinto Wilderness, Mount San Jacinto State Park, San Bernardino
      National Forest, Joshua Tree National Park, San Gorgonio Wilderness,
      Death Valley National Park, Sequoia National Forest, Sequoia National
      Park, Domeland Wilderness, Kings Canyon National Park, Inyo National
      Forest, Golden Trout Wilderness, John Muir Wilderness, Sierra
      National Forest, Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone National
      Park.

      Elevations have ranged from sea level to at least 14000' (4267 m) and
      temperatures have been from below freezing to 120 F (49 C)

      It has been on snow, sand, dirt, and rock, in sun, rain, fog and
      smog, in hardwood forests, pine forests and petrified forests.

      Observations

      I bought the Picnicker in 1991. At the time I carried quite the
      backpacking kitchen and was known for making some pretty good multi-
      course meals while on the trail. (These are known as the heavy days…)

      I used it quite a lot from 1991 through 1993, and then sporadically
      until now. As my approach to hiking nutrition and backpacking meals
      has evolved considerably since then to a much lighter, easier-to-
      prepare and more natural style it does not go out as often. It only
      goes backpacking two or three times a year now, but goes on camping
      trips or the night-before-at-the-trailhead camps another four or five
      times a year.

      The blade is the highlight of this knife. I love how long and
      straight it is. This makes it very usable to prepare food. I love
      knives and have a lot. A Rambo-type knife is a favorite for me, but I
      realize that they are horrible for food prep. (I rarely need to
      eviscerate a chunk of cheddar…) The Picnicker shines at it.

      The blade is made from Swiss Stainless Steel. Mine has never been
      sharpened that I can remember. I have never taken any special pains
      with it in the field. I wipe food off it, usually just rinsing it
      off. (It gets washed with soap once I get back.) The blade is still
      very sharp. Running my finger (carefully) down the edge I can feel
      some slight dings in the blade that catch my skin. None are large
      enough to be noticeable. There are a few slight blemishes in the
      stainless. I am amazed at how well this blade has held up after all
      this time. (I am going to take it to Minnesota and steel the blade
      and give it a good sharpening after I write this review.)

      The lock holds very well. I have never had it slip, and it is easy to
      disengage. This is the only sliding lock release that I have ever
      used.

      I have never used the reamer/punch tool. In fact when taking the
      picture above I opened it for the second time ever. But I like to
      think that if I had to I could use it to make a buckskin shirt or
      something like that if forced to survive in the woods. Oh wait; I
      have a satellite phone on most trips…

      The can opener works well but I have only used it a time or two as I
      never bring canned stuff hiking and usually have a "real" can opener
      when camping.

      The bottle opener works great! That is one of my favorite uses for
      the knife. Here is a Ray's-obligatory-opening-a-beer-shot of it in
      action. (It is such a good excuse to have a cold one at the office.)
      The wire stripper under the opener is something that has never been
      needed.

      I have used the screwdrivers in the field. The large one the most as
      Dave and I both had packs with a screw adjustment for the suspension
      that would inexplicably slide up no matter how tight we had it.

      The cork screw works well also. I have opened more than a few bottles
      of wine with it at trailheads and camp sites, but have never used it
      backpacking. The tweezers are pretty soft. I have used them a few
      times to get out splinters or fine stickers, and maybe a tick or two.

      The toothpick is made of plastic and works OK. I do not use it often
      so as not to dull it too much. I just use it for something stuck
      between my teeth in such a way that it drives me nuts. The key ring
      can be used as a lanyard ring also, but I do not use it for anything.

      I like the Picnicker and I will probably still be using it on
      occasion for another 13 years.
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2007