EDIT/Approval: Deuter Futura 32 Pack - Fuzzy

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
      EDIT/Approval: Deuter Futura 32 Pack - Fuzzy

      Hi Chuck

      A couple of small things to consider, but I think I can leave these for you
      to deal with.

      One big thing you must fix though: you have not made it clear in the Product
      Description whether this pack is frameless, has an internal frame, or has an
      external frame. Trees and forest problem I suspect. But this info should be
      right up front, maybe as a sentence in the Product Information or Features
      section. Even something as simple as 'This is a 32 litre internal frame day
      pack.' before the manufacturer details would suffice.

      When you have, you are clear to upload at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Backpacks%20and%20Day%20Packs/Deuter%20Futura%2032/
      I have put it in the Day packs section because of the 32 litre capacity,
      even though it has a frame.

      Cheers
      Roger
      Caffin
      BGT Editor
      ---------------
      > Description
      Comment: I am not sure you need to be so prolific in your description every
      time. I found it a little over-whelming! I use less text and more reference
      to the pictures myself. That said, I an NOT asking for any changes.

      > there are four rectangular plastic loops (sometimes
      > called looplocs),
      Comment: also called D-rings in the trade

      > compartment are three webbing loops, two 3/8 in (10 mm) wide and
      > approximately 2 in (5 cm) long hiking pole loops on the left, and one
      > approximately 5 in (12 cm) long ice axe loop on the right.
      Comment: I had to reread this sentence a couple of times to understand it.
      It is grammatically correct, but a little extended. If you reverse the order
      of some sections I think it reads more easily. I have illustrated this here:
      > compartment are three webbing loops: two hiking pole loops on the left,
      > each one > 3/8 in (10 mm) wide and approximately 2 in (5 cm) long, and one
      > ice axe loop, ...

      > First Impressions
      Comment: a very good write-up

      > I snugged up the stabilizer straps. I had never had load
      > lifter straps on a pack before, so I wasn't sure what to expect.
      Comment: Personally, I think the pack torso is a bit short for you. As you
      note further down, the stabiliser straps should normally go backwards
      horizontally or even upwards. But, if it works for you ...

      > The Futura was with me in late July, 2003, on my first "long-
      > distance" hike in some time: an attempt to hike the 13-mile (20.8 km)
      > Barr Trail up Pikes Peak - elevation 14,110' (4,301 m) - and back in
      > one day. While my son and I didn't manage to hike to the summit, we
      Comment: you don't mention your starting altitude. I am assuming the climb
      is not 4,301 m in 20.8 km!

      > A few notes on sizing: I have a fairly long torso, at 20½-21 in (52-
      Comment: a very good section
    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2007
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Caffin"
        <r.caffin@...> wrote:

        > EDIT/Approval: Deuter Futura 32 Pack - Fuzzy
        >
        > Hi Chuck

        G'day Roger

        > One big thing you must fix though: you have not made it clear in
        the Product
        > Description whether this pack is frameless, has an internal frame,
        or has an
        > external frame. Trees and forest problem I suspect. But this info
        should be
        > right up front, maybe as a sentence in the Product Information or
        Features
        > section. Even something as simple as 'This is a 32 litre internal
        frame day
        > pack.' before the manufacturer details would suffice.

        Trees and forest, indeed. I know I mention it elsewhere, but I can
        do something up front.

        > When you have, you are clear to upload at
        > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Backpacks%
        20and%20Day%20Packs/Deuter%20Futura%2032/
        > I have put it in the Day packs section because of the 32 litre
        capacity,
        > even though it has a frame.

        That's where it was when it was a test series.

        > > Description
        > Comment: I am not sure you need to be so prolific in your
        description every
        > time. I found it a little over-whelming! I use less text and more
        reference
        > to the pictures myself. That said, I an NOT asking for any changes.

        I was a bit verbose, but this was my first test series. I was
        testing two other items before this one was complete, so *someone*
        thought I was doing a good job...

        > Comment: I had to reread this sentence a couple of times to
        understand it.
        > It is grammatically correct, but a little extended. If you reverse
        the order
        > of some sections I think it reads more easily. I have illustrated
        this here:
        > > compartment are three webbing loops: two hiking pole loops on the
        left,
        > > each one > 3/8 in (10 mm) wide and approximately 2 in (5 cm)
        long, and one
        > > ice axe loop, ...

        Thanks. I like yours...

        > > First Impressions
        > Comment: a very good write-up

        <blush>

        > > I snugged up the stabilizer straps. I had never had load
        > > lifter straps on a pack before, so I wasn't sure what to expect.
        > Comment: Personally, I think the pack torso is a bit short for you.

        Agreed...

        > As you
        > note further down, the stabiliser straps should normally go
        backwards
        > horizontally or even upwards. But, if it works for you ...

        It *is* the most comfortable pack I have ever worn.

        > > The Futura was with me in late July, 2003, on my first "long-
        > > distance" hike in some time: an attempt to hike the 13-mile (20.8
        km)
        > > Barr Trail up Pikes Peak - elevation 14,110' (4,301 m) - and back
        in
        > Comment: you don't mention your starting altitude. I am assuming
        the climb
        > is not 4,301 m in 20.8 km!

        Starting elevation is 6500 ft (1981 m), so 2320 m in 20.8 km - which
        is still quite a climb for a flatlander from sea level.

        > > A few notes on sizing: I have a fairly long torso, at 20½-21 in
        (52-
        > Comment: a very good section

        Thanks again.