OR - Nalgene 32 ounce loop-top bottle - Sheila

  • S
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 24, 2007
      Another one for the month!

      Sheila

      http://tinyurl.com/ytn9wo

      NALGENE 32 OUNCE POLYCARBONATE LOOP-TOP WIDE MOUTH BOTTLE

      OWNER REVIEW
      Date: August 24, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION
      Name: Sheila Morrissey
      Age: 27
      Gender: female
      Height: 5 ft 8 in (1.7 m)
      Weight: 150 lb (68 kg)
      Email address: geosheila(at)yahoo(dot)com
      City, State, Country: Goleta, California, USA

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      I enjoy hiking and backpacking in the Sierra Nevada and Los Padres National Forest with
      friends and my dog. Including consumables, my pack is usually around 25 lb (11 kg). I
      most often carry one Nalgene bottle in addition to several flexible plastic bottles when
      backpacking.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Nalge Nunc International Corporation
      Year: 2002
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.nalgenunc.com/
      Listed Volume: 32 oz (0.95 L)
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 5 oz (0.14 kg)
      MSRP: US$ 9.00

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
      The bottle is made of hard Lexan polycarbonate. According to Nalgene, the plastic can
      withstand temperatures from -135 to 135 C (-211 to 275 F). The screw-on lid is
      permanently attached to the bottle by a piece of flexible plastic that also wraps around
      neck of the bottle. Measurements markings in ounces and milliliters are written in white
      lettering on one side of the bottle. The bottles are available in a wide variety of colors.

      FIELD USE CONDITIONS
      My trusty yellow Nalgene has survived years of my backpacking, geologic mapping,
      outrigger canoe paddling and working at temperatures ranging from 5 F (-15 C) to 110 F
      (43 C) and altitudes from 280 ft (85 m) below sea level to 11,000 ft (3,350 m) above sea
      level.

      FIELD USE RESULTS
      A second Nalgene that I bought at the same time as the reviewed yellow Nalgene didn't
      make it -- but through no fault of Nalgene. Despite my best efforts to "Leave No Trace",
      my blue Nalgene decided to roll off a cliff into a giant patch of poison oak a couple of
      years ago. It was never recovered and I haven't added a second Nalgene to my collection. I
      prefer to backpack with a few lighter weight flexible plastic bottles, but I also carry one of
      these heavier Nalgene bottles because they are more easily filled if I just need to carry
      creek water to douse a fire, because some water filters attach directly to the wide mouth of
      the Nalgenes, and because they have measurement markings on the bottle, which are
      useful for cooking. When participating in other activities where the weight of the bottle is
      unimportant, I prefer carrying a Nalgene bottle over the flexible plastic bottles because it
      is less likely to tip over when placed on the ground, and it is easier to open, carry and
      clean. One activity where I don't carry a Nalgene is while biking. The Nalgene bottle is
      incompatible with the water bottle holder on my bike and it is also too difficult to open
      with just one hand.

      My yellow Nalgene has never cracked or split, even when it was filled with water that froze
      overnight. I should mention that a friend's Nalgene did crack on under these
      circumstances and he was able to get a replacement bottle from Nalgene with no problem.
      My bottle is covered in scratches from rolling it around with my gear and tossing it down
      on rocks. The white lettering of the measurements is rubbing off, but I can still see the
      lines and numbers well enough to estimate measurements. I'm sure I have also used a
      rough scrubbing sponge over the measurements frequently when I washed the bottle.
      Washing the bottle is quite easy because the mouth of the bottle is wide enough for me to
      reach my hand into. I have used many chemical water treatment tablets and powdered
      sports drink mixes in my Nalgene bottle. Rinsing the bottle has always removed any of the
      taste from previous tablets or powders and the bottle has never seemed stained at all, but
      it could be hard to tell against the yellow color. I have heard comments from several
      people that they wouldn't drink out of a yellow Nalgene because it looks like a bottle of
      urine. The positive part is that none of my friends have the same color bottle, so I can
      always tell my apart.

      PROS
      Very durable
      Measurement markings
      Compatible with some water filters
      Easy to fill
      Easy to clean
      CONS
      Heavy for backpacking
      Measurement markings are getting harder to see after 5 years
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 24, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
          Hi Sheila,

          Thanks for the Owner Review. I have a few edits after which you can
          place it here;

          http://tinyurl.com/yoalry

          Ray

          ***Manufacturer: Nalge Nunc International Corporation

          EDIT: actually it is Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.

          ***Listed Weight: N/A

          EDIT: according to the website the weight is 0.33 lb

          ***The bottle is made of hard Lexan polycarbonate.

          EDIT: again according to the web site the bottles are listed as being
          made of polycarbonate. LEXAN is GE's trademark name for their
          polycarbonate, and is used in some of Nalc's other lab bottles.

          ***The screw-on lid is permanently attached to the bottle by a piece
          of flexible plastic that also wraps around neck of the bottle.

          Edit: as they sell replacement caps it may be better to leave
          out "permanently"
        • rayestrella1

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
              Hi Ray,

              I saw that the previous reviews were mixed on which manufacturer name they used. Is
              Thermo Fisher the decided upon name? I only ask because of the Therm-a-Rest vs Cascade
              dealie. Just writing Fisher makes me think of laboratory glassware, that's why I chose to put
              Nalge Nunc, Fisher's outdoor company. I haven't made the edits yet, but will upload it with
              Fisher. I just wanted to check that that's the manufacturer name we'll all be putting.

              Thanks,

              Sheila

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
                Thanks for your edits, Ray! My OR is uploaded here: http://tinyurl.com/33cggs

                I took out the word Lexan, but I am confused by your edit. My bottle is not an HDPE bottle,
                it's made of polycarbonate, and in particular, Lexan polycarbonate. In the past I've used
                specific trademarked names for materials and components of products (off the top of my
                head a good example would be YKK zippers.) Should I not use trademarked names as a part
                of a review of another product?

                Sheila

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "S" <geosheila@...> wrote:

                  > I took out the word Lexan, but I am confused by your edit. My
                  bottle is not an HDPE bottle,

                  Hi Sheila,

                  Sorry to take so long to reply. I have been in an airplane all day. I
                  made the edits during a lay-over.

                  Fisher is the main company, just like Cascade Designs is for all of
                  its brands, and Spectrum is for all of thiers. We have been asked to
                  list the main name but can link to the individual websites.

                  Yes, your bottle is polycabonate. They list it as PC, not LEXAN. If
                  you look at the other products they make they have some that are
                  listed as being made of LEXAN. They are both the same material but
                  LEXAN is GE's trademark name for it. You would have to ask Nalgene
                  why some items are just pc and others LEXAN. I just go by what I read
                  from the manufacturer. Their sites are pretty hard to find info in as
                  you noticed with the weight.

                  Ray
                • S
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
                    Oh okay, thanks Ray. I may have made a mistake in my upload then. When I changed the
                    manufacturer, I also changed the website to thermofisher.com. Should I delete that and use
                    nalgene-outdoors.com?

                    Thanks for your help on this one.

                    Sheila
                  • rayestrella1
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
                      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "S" <geosheila@...> wrote:

                      > Oh okay, thanks Ray. I may have made a mistake in my upload then.
                      When I changed the
                      > manufacturer, I also changed the website to thermofisher.com. Should
                      I delete that and use
                      > nalgene-outdoors.com?
                      >
                      > Thanks for your help on this one.

                      Anytime,

                      It does not matter too much. The main site will get you there with a
                      bit of work. Personally I would use nalgene-outdoors.com