OR - 2+ Liter Platy Bottle - Richard Lyon

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 19, 2007
      For your editing pleasure. HTML version is in the Tests/OR folder at
      http://tinyurl.com/2t49se.

      Platypus 2+ Liter Platy™ Bottle
      Owner Review by Richard Lyon
      August 19, 2007
      Personal Details and Backpacking Background.
      Male, 61 years old
      Height: 6' 4" (1.93 m)
      Weight: 200 lb (91 kg)
      Email address: rlyon AT gibsondunn DOT com
      Home: Dallas, Texas USA
      I've been backpacking for 45 years on and off, and regularly in the
      Rockies since 1986. I do a week long trip every summer, and often
      take three-day trips. I'm usually camping in alpine terrain, at
      altitudes 5000 to 13000 ft (1500 - 4000 m). I prefer base camp
      backpacking, a long hike in with day trips from camp, but I do my
      share of forced marches too. Though always looking for ways to
      reduce weight, I'm not yet a lightweight hiker and I usually choose
      a bit more weight over foregoing camp conveniences I've come to
      expect.
      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Cascade Designs, Inc.
      Website: www.cascadedesigns.com. All quotations in this review come
      from the Platypus pages of this website.
      MSRP: $9.95 US
      Year Purchased: 2004
      Year of Manufacture: 2004
      Size, listed: 7.5 x 13.5 in / 19 x 35 cm
      Size, measured empty: 7.6 x 12.8 in / 19.3 x 32.5 cm, not including
      spout; x 13.5 in / 35 cm with spout.
      Weight, listed: 1 oz / 30 g
      Weight, measured, with closure cap: 1.1 oz / 31 g
      Capacity, listed: "2+ liter/80 fl oz"
      Capacity, measured: 85 fl oz / 2.5 liters
      Other sizes available: 0.5 liter / 17 fl oz and 1 liter / 35 fl oz.
      Warranty: The Hydration 101 page of the website refers to a "limited
      lifetime warranty" for all Platypus products but I couldn't find
      details on the site.
      Evaluation
      Platy™ Bottles have been my preferred water containers in camp and
      while hiking for several years now. These polyethylene bottles are
      collapsible and, with various accessories, allow me to use them for
      many different backpacking tasks. I have used Platy Bottles in all
      seasons, at temperatures from 0 to 105 F (-17 to 41 C), and with
      most of the accessories that Platypus offers. My regular three-
      season backpacking kit includes a 2+ Liter bottle used as a
      hydration bladder stored somewhere in my pack, a second Platy Bottle
      stored empty in my pack, and a hard plastic or metal bottle in a
      holster or pocket.
      Perhaps the best way to list the benefits of these Bottles is to
      compare my experience to a few of the manufacturer's claims, as each
      illustrates a benefit of the Bottles.
      "Weighs 80% less than conventional hard plastic bottles." I don't
      own a two-liter hard plastic bottle and have never used one for
      backpacking – it would be far too bulky for efficient packing. Two
      one-liter hard plastic bottles weigh about twelve ounces (340 g),
      making good on Platypus's claim with room to spare. A 2+ Liter
      Platy is also sixty per cent lighter than a two-liter hydration
      bladder that I own from another maker. Easily the lightest weight
      reliable water carrier that I have found.
      "Collapsible design allows you to roll bottle up for easy, compact
      storage." This is a terrific feature of the Platy bottles that
      allows me to carry an extra 2+ Liter Bottle for water storage in
      camp at the cost of one additional ounce (30 g) of pack weight. And
      I don't have to roll one up to do so. I can fold it or simply stuff
      it, empty and extended, along one of the walls of my pack.
      "Bottle is tough enough to be frozen or boiled." A Platy will
      certainly hold frozen or boiling water, though I've never
      intentionally used one for either in the field. More than once
      while skiing I've had one freeze in my pack, and I've cleaned empty
      bottles at home using boiling water and bleach or baking soda. The
      point here is that the plastic in these bottles is tough enough for
      most regular backcountry abuse. But not all, as discussed below.
      "Modular design lets you create your own system." Platypus sells
      many accessories that allow me to use the Bottles as a hydration
      bladder in my backpack (drink tube, valve, lapel clip, bite valve
      cover) in summer or winter (neoprene sleeve and bite valve cover),
      as a separate hydration pack (holster; the one pictured has a hip
      belt added), as a bottle in camp (closure and nipple-type caps that
      are interchangeable with the cap on the drink tube), or as a camp
      shower (hose with shower head and on-off valve). I've used all
      these accessories for all these tasks - all on the same trip. The
      neoprene bite valve cover is the first accessory I've found for any
      hydration system that really does keep water from freezing in the
      valve.
      "Gusseted bottom keeps bottle upright for easier filling." Or
      standing up outside my tent or on the camp kitchen work surface. A
      simple, functional feature that sets Platy Bottles apart from my
      other hydration bladders.
      All in all, wonderfully lightweight and versatile bottles and for
      that reason my backcountry water vessels of choice. Like just about
      everything in life, though, they're not perfect. I've called the
      plastic tough, but it is definitely not indestructible. I've had a
      few punctures. On those where I've done a post mortem the problem
      resulted from sudden contact with a sharp or pointed object rather
      than gradual abrasion or deterioration. And the culprit isn't
      always obvious and needn't be razor-sharp. An edge of a pot support
      on a backpacking stove (folded up and in its storage pouch), a right-
      angle corner on a lantern, and the bottom rim of a fuel canister
      have been to blame (along with the pack wearer's carelessness) for a
      tiny hole and seepage or, once when skiing, a gaping wound that
      resulting in a splat that emptied the Bottle's contents in an
      instant. Neither has happened often, but when it does the
      consequences can be serious. In addition to soaking the contents of
      my pack (and maybe my posterior, an exhilarating experience in
      winter) my water capacity has been drastically reduced. It's for
      this reason that I always carry a spare water container every time I
      use a Platy Bottle. A pinprick-sized hole can sometimes be patched
      (Platypus sells patches for this purpose, and duct tape works once
      in a while) but in my experience never for long; for me a leaky
      Platy needs to be replaced. I've never had a Platy leak at its
      seams.
      I clean these Bottles periodically by filling with a mild solution
      of water and unscented bleach, sloshing this around, and then
      rinsing it out after a few hours. I rarely use a Platy for anything
      but water or water treated with a hypotonic tablet or powder, so
      cleaning is ordinarily done for sanitation only, not to remove the
      taste of whatever had been inside. Chlorine dioxide, my usual water
      treatment, hasn't affected color or strength of a Bottle.
      The only design feature with which I have any real issue is the
      Bottle's small mouth. It's only 1.8 inches (46 mm) inside
      diameter, slightly smaller than the mouth of a beer bottle. This
      can make filling it from a shallow stream frustrating, as I often
      travel without a water filter. It also means slower drying after
      emptying the Bottle and more difficult cleaning.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
          Hello Richard,

          Thanks for the review. I have a couple of edits and then you can put
          it here;

          http://tinyurl.com/2o6vta

          Ray

          ***Website: www.cascadedesigns.com

          EDIT: when ever we write up Cascade Design's products they have us
          list them as the manufacturer, but put the web page to the product.
          www.platypushydration.com

          ***Perhaps the best way to list the benefits of these Bottles is to
          compare my experience to a few of the manufacturer's claims, as each
          illustrates a benefit of the Bottles.

          Edit: unless you are using "Platy Bottles" together you should use a
          lower case "bottles". (After going through the rest of it I see you
          bounce back and forth.)
        • richardglyon
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 29, 2007
            Ray,
            Revised (including the "bottles" inconsistencies)and uploaded. Do we
            follow the Cascade Designs convention below with any other
            manufacturers? I ask because I recently advised a mentee to be sure
            to link to the manufacturer, not the brand (not Cascade Designs).
            Richard
            <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > Hello Richard,
            >
            > Thanks for the review. I have a couple of edits and then you can
            put
            > it here;
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/2o6vta
            >
            > Ray
            >

            > ***Website: www.cascadedesigns.com
            >
            > EDIT: when ever we write up Cascade Design's products they have us
            > list them as the manufacturer, but put the web page to the
            product.
            > www.platypushydration.com
            >

            > ***Perhaps the best way to list the benefits of these Bottles is
            > compare my experience to a few of the manufacturer's claims, as
            each
            > illustrates a benefit of the Bottles.
            >
            > Edit: unless you are using "Platy Bottles" together you should use
            > lower case "bottles". (After going through the rest of it I see
            you
            > bounce back and forth.)

          • rayestrella1
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 29, 2007
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "richardglyon" <rlyon@...>
              wrote:
              >Do we
              > follow the Cascade Designs convention below with any other
              > manufacturers? I ask because I recently advised a mentee to be sure
              > to link to the manufacturer, not the brand (not Cascade Designs).

              I don't really know for sure. I have been told, and seen applied to
              others the Cascade Design deal with Therm-a-Rest, MSR and Platypus.

              My Spectrum brands (mnfr) bug juice went to the Cutter URL. I am sure
              there were more.

              Cascade is always that way though.

              Ray
            • Jerry Goller
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 29, 2007
                It is that way at their request. We try to honor manufacturer's requests
                about what their name is..... ;o)

                Cascade Designs is actually a holding company that owns the various
                companies we deal with. But everyone I've dealt with from any of the
                companies all have Cascade Designs business cards.

                Confusing, to say the least. But, since they specifically asked for it to be
                done that way, we will.

                Jerry

                reviews and tests on the planet.

                > follow the Cascade Designs convention below with any other
                >manufacturers? I ask because I recently advised a mentee to be sure to
                >link to the manufacturer, not the brand (not Cascade Designs).

                I don't really know for sure. I have been told, and seen applied to others
                the Cascade Design deal with Therm-a-Rest, MSR and Platypus.

                My Spectrum brands (mnfr) bug juice went to the Cutter URL. I am sure there
                were more.

                Cascade is always that way though.

                Ray

                To read our reviews, please visit http://www.backpackgeartest.org/ Yahoo!
                Groups Links
              • rayestrella1
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 29, 2007
                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"
                  <ChiefModerator@...> wrote:

                  > It is that way at their request. We try to honor manufacturer's
                  requests
                  > about what their name is..... ;o)
                  >
                  > Cascade Designs is actually a holding company that owns the various
                  > companies we deal with. But everyone I've dealt with from any of the
                  > companies all have Cascade Designs business cards.
                  >
                  > Confusing, to say the least. But, since they specifically asked for
                  it to be
                  > done that way, we will.

                  Yeah Jerry,

                  He has the name correct. It is the link that he is talking about. We
                  always put Cascade Designs as the Manufacturer, but link to the
                  individual sites. (MSRcorp.com, thermarest.com,
                  platypushydration.com, etc.) The same thing with Fisher Scientific
                  and Nalgene.

                  Actually, every time it comes up I go back to the archives to make
                  sure what you guys have been putting down.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 29, 2007
                    Hi Richard,

                    For some odd reason your manufacturer url goes to a BGT page that is
                    no longer available. Please check your link in this OR and make sure
                    all is correct.

                    Thanks
                    Jamie D
                    Edit Admin Manager
                  • richardglyon
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 30, 2007
                      Jamie,
                      I don't know what happened but I deleted the report, re-uploaded and
                      now it links properly. Richard

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 30, 2007
                        Thank you Richard.

                        jamie d