OR-Probar-Melanie Doskocil

  • Melanie Doskocil
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      Here's one for the August call...

      PROBAR
      BY MELANIE DOSKOCIL
      OR
      August 01, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Melanie Doskocil
      EMAIL: mdanseuseATgmailDOTcom
      AGE: 37
      LOCATION: Aspen, Colorado USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 5" (1.65 m)
      WEIGHT: 115 lb (52.20 kg)

      I began backpacking in 9th grade, hating every minute of it. The borrowed
      gear was heavy and uncomfortable. I vowed never to do it again until a
      friend and avid enthusiast enlightened me. I now celebrate 10 years of
      discovering joyful backpacking. I go on 4 overnights, 2 2-days and at least
      one long 5-6 day trip. I am a three season camper due to an aversion to
      extreme cold. I carry about 25-30 lb (11-13 kg) for overnights and up to 60
      lb (25 kg) for long trips. My playground includes the mountains of Colorado,
      Utah and a bit of Idaho.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Probar <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3">>
      Year of Manufacture: 2001
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.theprobar.com"
      LINK TEXT = "www.theprobar.com">>
      MSRP: US$3.29 (not available from website)
      Listed Weight: 3 oz (85 g)
      Measured Weight: did not have scale available

      Other details:

      According to the manufacturer this is the first great tasting, convenient,
      high-performance energy bar.

      Probar is an all natural, 100% vegan, mostly organic (though it doesn't say
      that on the packaging, just in the ingredients list), about 70% raw
      (according to manufacturer), blended not baked, whole food, energy bar.

      Also, according to the manufacturer, Probars are loaded with simple and
      complex carbohydrates, to increase blood sugar and maintain the higher level
      for hours. Enzymes in the mostly raw bar have not been cooked away allowing
      for easier digestion. The bars are low in sodium and contain no
      preservatives or added chemicals.

      Probar comes in several flavors:

      Superfood Slam
      Original Blend
      Whole Berry Blast
      Nutty Banana Boom
      Apple Cinnamon Crunch
      Cran-Lemon Twister
      Koka-Moka

      FIELD USE

      I take Probars with me on all backpacking trips. I use them for extended
      hikes to keep my energy up and also as a lunch replacement if I don't feel
      like breaking out the stove.

      I took them backpacking because they were well packaged, light weight, and
      larger than other bars I had tried. They held up well in hot weather,
      turning soft and pliable. In colder weather the bars get hard, but I find
      that they didn't get so hard that I felt like my teeth were going to break
      off. I also just came across a lonely bar at the bottom of my gear bin that
      was in an older style of packaging. Probably one of the early bars I bought.
      I opened it up to check it out and found it still soft, pliable and quite
      tasty. They do have a great shelf life, unlike other bars I've tried that
      end up like adobe bricks after a couple of months.

      The texture of the bars is great. When I'm out backpacking, food texture
      becomes very important to me. I cook a lot and vary from pre-packaged food
      to gourmet one-pot meals. All in all, I find camp food tends to lean towards
      the "mushy" side of things. Probars offer a welcome relief to me from that
      with seeds, whole nuts and big chunks of dried fruit.

      Probars have also been a great source of energy for me. On a 10 mile slog
      out of the Maroon Bells Wilderness earlier this summer about halfway I felt
      like I had just completely run out of energy. i stopped to gobble down a
      Probar and some water. I honestly felt like a new woman. I finished that
      hike and I had energy to spare. It was great. No other bar has been able to
      rejuvenate me and sustain that energy for me like a probar.

      SUMMARY

      I had the joy of discovering Probars about 5 years ago when, I believe, they
      were only available in Park City, Utah. There was only one flavor,
      "original". I thought I had struck gold! Finally a bar that tasted good, was
      good for me, and had a really pleasant texture.

      I bought them up in cases (REI wasn't carrying them yet...only a few bike
      shops in Park City, Utah), and handed them out to my friends.

      Since I first started eating Probars, several new flavors have been created.
      I have tried all of them except "superfood slam." My favorites are
      "original," "whole berry blast" and "cran-lemon twister." All of the bars
      are sweet, and I find I can get tired of sweet food while backpacking. I
      have not yet felt like I had to "choke down" a probar because I was sick of
      sweet bars. For me they go down much easier than most other bars I tried.

      "Original" is very fruity with little carob chips that taste like chocolate
      (yummy!) but don't seem to melt as much as chocolate has for me. There are
      large chunks of date, pineapple and papaya with a little apple thrown in.
      "whole berry blast" is one of my favorites. I think it's like eating a
      handful of seeds, nuts and berries. While there are only strawberries,
      blueberries and blueberry purree in the bar, the flavors tease me into
      thinking there are raspberries and blackberries too. I also love the
      "cran-lemon-twister." This one has a very zingy taste with the lemon and
      cranberry in it. To me it's a very refreshing bar and this one has no carob
      in it, for a little variety.

      I also like "apple cinnamon crunch." I was not really impressed with "koka
      mocha." I expected it to have a distinctive coffee/mocha flavor, but it
      tasted too much like "original" to me. I didn't see the point in buying both
      when they tasted so much alike. I couldn't stand "nutty banana boom" as it
      tasted like over-ripe bananas to me.

      For me, Probars are a wonderful backpacking snack or lunchtime meal
      replacement. They are well packaged, tasty, and healthy. Probars delight my
      mouth with their texture as well as taste and they keep an exceptionally
      long time.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Provides lasting energy (for me)

      Taste

      Texture

      Variety of Flavors

      Size

      Raw food content

      Organic food content

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Nutty Banana Boom

      That's all I can think of that I don't like.

      I have heard people complain about the price, but when I compared price per
      ounce, they are actually very competitive.

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2007
          Hi Melanie,

          Thanks for answering the call this month. I like these bars also.
          Your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
          to the subject line. Include your name also please.

          You can also put a HTML copy in the Owner Review Test Folder. It is
          found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page or here;
          http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

          Please let me have a link to the review or at least the name once you
          have it uploaded.

          Ray

          ***Year of Manufacture: 2001

          Edit: I hope this is cut-and-paste disease. Otherwise I need to tell
          you, ¡§No Melanie, don¡¦t eat it¡¨!

          ***MSRP: US$3.29 (not available from website)

          EDIT: that is WorldPantry¡¦s price, not the MSRP. You should just have
          this as N/A

          ***Measured Weight: did not have scale available

          EDIT: that is part of the requirements. You need to weigh it at the
          post office or grocery store, etc. if you do not have a scale.

          EDIT: you need to describe the bars. What is the packaging like? What
          is the size of the bar? Is it in a single chunk, or pieces? Is it
          rough textured or smooth. Are they sticky or dry? Are they dense or
          light and fluffy? Tell us about the bars please.

          ***I take Probars with me on all backpacking trips. I use them for
          extended
          hikes to keep my energy up and also as a lunch replacement if I don't
          feel
          like breaking out the stove.

          EDIT: another requirement is a field data, or conditions section.
          Where have you used them? How long is an ¡§extended hike¡¨? What
          elevations have you used them at. What temperatures, then you can
          tell later (which you do) how they did in heat or cold. I know that
          you can use and write about a food bar eating them in a cubicle for
          lunch each day and give an accurate portrayal of use. But as we are a
          backpacking group and this will be read by backpackers (who, if they
          are like me want to know where you have been) you should list the
          backpacking/day-hiking data.

          ***unlike other bars I've tried that end up like adobe bricks

          Comment: been there, ate that¡K

          ***No other bar has been able to rejuvenate me and sustain that
          energy for me like a probar.

          EDIT: Probar (Actually this company spells their name three different
          ways and it drives me nuts. But no matter which way, they are all
          capitalized.)

          ***SUMMARY

          EDIT: you should move the description of the flavors up to your new
          Description section ļ or into the body of the review. And most of the
          rest should be in the body too. The Summary should be just that, a
          short paragraph summarizing your findings.

          ***I have tried all of them except "superfood slam." My favorites are
          "original," "whole berry blast" and "cran-lemon twister."

          EDIT: all of the flavors throughout your review should be spelled as
          Probar does, with the caps, i.e. Superfood Slam, Original Blend, etc.
          Please go through and check them all.

          ***I have not yet felt like I had to "choke down" a probar

          EDIT: Probar

          ***blueberry purree in the bar,

          EDIT: puree

          ***I also like "apple cinnamon crunch."

          Comment: why? What makes it stand out to you?

          ***I was not really impressed with "koka mocha." I expected it to
          have a distinctive coffee/mocha flavor, but it tasted too much
          like "original" to me. I didn't see the point in buying both when
          they tasted so much alike. I couldn't stand "nutty banana boom" as it
          tasted like over-ripe bananas to me.

          Comment: that is what we are looking for.

          ***I have heard people complain about the price, but when I compared
          price per
          ounce, they are actually very competitive.

          Comment: you echo my sentiments exactly