Revised OR - MSR Hubba Hubba 2 Person Tent - Cody Croslow

  • graelb
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2007
      MSR Hubba-Hubba

      Biographical Information

      Name: Cody Croslow
      Age: 20
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'11" (1.80 meters)
      Weight: 160lbs (73 Kilograms)
      Email Address: cody.croslow@...
      Location: Central Point, Oregon, United States of
      America
      Date: 07/27/2007
      Backpacking Background: I've just started backpacking, and
      started on the premise that lighter is better. I don't have a lot of
      lightweight gear, but I am working towards a base weight under 10lbs.
      I will be hiking in southern Oregon and northern California for the
      most part on the weekends. I imagine I'll often encounter rain and
      tons of bugs. The temperature here isn't exactly the coldest in the
      world, not much snow, but sub-freezing temperatures during the winter
      months won't be a surprise.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: MSR
      Year of Manufacture: Unknown, probably 2005
      Listed weight (As taken from the MSR webpage):
      Minimum Weight: 3 lbs. 14 oz. /1.7 kg
      Packaged Weight: 4 lbs. 12 oz. /2.1 kg
      Fly w/ Footprint Weight: 2 lbs. 13 oz. /1.3 kg

      Weight as Delivered:

      Poles, Pole Sack, Pole Repair Thing 1lb 4.3oz (0.58 kg)
      Stakes & Guy Lines & Stake Sack 3.2oz (0.09 kg)
      1 stake 0.4oz (1.13 g)
      Stuff Sack 1.8oz (51 g)
      Tent 1lb 8.9oz (0.71 kg)
      Fly 1lb 6.9oz (0.65 kg)
      Everything 4lb 9.1oz (2.07 kg)

      Dimensions (as taken from the MSR webpage):
      Floor + Vestibule Area: 29 + 17.5 sq. ft. /2.8 + 1.6
      sq. m
      Interior Peak Height: 40 in. /100 cm

      Product Description:

      This double-walled tent is roomy for a two person shelter.
      The pole system is all connected, making set-up very painless and
      quick. The inner tent snaps to the poles by plastic snaps located on
      the outside of the tent at various spots. The tent is made up almost
      entirely of mesh, with a diamond shape bit of nylon at the top-middle
      of the mesh. The bathtub-like floor is made of nylon, which seems
      very durable. The floor of the tent is bright red, and the fly is a
      bright, burnt orange color. The rain-fly is set up on the outside of
      the pole system. There are grommets on the straps at the corners of
      the rain-fly, which slip onto the poles; the entire tent takes less
      than three minutes to set up once you've done it a few times. There
      are two doors to the tent/fly. The rain fly also stakes out, giving
      room for two vestibules, which allows you to keep your pack and gear
      dry during wet weather.

      Field Information:

      This tent has been used in various places, ranging from rocky
      desert, to forest, to a gravel-bed next to a river. I have personally
      used it in very windy conditions (which makes setting up the tent
      very much more difficult,) but once it's set up, rain fly and all,
      it's rock solid. The tent and fly combination is light enough that a
      gentle breeze will blow it away, so if you are in a real windy area,
      make sure there is gear or stakes keeping the tent to the ground. I
      have also set up the tent in a misty oceanic rain, which got the
      inside a little damp, and stayed damp throughout the night, not
      getting the chance to dry out. The temperature never really got down
      below freezing, or anywhere near it in our trips.

      The tent performs surprisingly well for such a lightweight
      tent. It keeps the rain out, and has an amazing ability to retain a
      huge amount of heat. With the fly set up, and two people inside the
      tent, it can get pretty toasty. The few times there were two of us in
      the tent, and it wasn't all that cold, we had to get up and roll back
      the door flaps of the fly to induce air circulation and cool us off.

      All things considered, I love this tent. The only time I had
      trouble with it, was when we were at the coast, and we set up the
      tent before the rain-fly. This was a mistake. The tent is designed so
      you can set up the rain-fly without necessarily setting up the tent,
      so if it's raining, you should be able to set up the entire rig so
      it's dry as a bone in the middle of the night. I'm going to buy a
      footprint for it soon, and try it out just using the fly and
      footprint in a tarp-style shelter. The only problem I have with this
      tent is that when it is packed up, the whole package is rather large.
      I think next, I'll try stuffing it all instead of folding and rolling
      it up, and fitting it into the silnylon sack which holds everything
      else.
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2007
        Hello Cody,

        Welcome to BGT. You have chosen to write about a tent as your first
        review. Tents are probably one of the hardest things to write about
        as they really do have a lot to discuss. We usually suggest starting
        with something easier, but if you want to we can get through this. It
        may seem that there is a lot of edits. It will get easier down the
        road. (For what it is worth my first review was for a tent very much
        like yours.)

        Would you please email me at rayestrellaAThotmailDOTcom as soon as
        you can? I want to send you a guide. In the meantime here is the
        regular spiel.

        Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They
        will take the following format;

        EDIT: must be changed

        When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
        to the subject line. Include your name also please.

        Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples",
        you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members
        for examples of the proper form.

        A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with
        experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s).
        If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can
        request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator,
        Jennifer Koles, at mentor@...

        Ray

        ***MSR Hubba-Hubba

        EDIT: there is no hyphen in the name, it is Hubba Hubba. You also
        need to have Owner Review somewhere at the beginning, maybe right
        under the title.

        ***Weight: 160lbs (73 Kilograms)

        EDIT: you need a space after the number, 160 lbs and since you
        abbreviated pounds you should do the same with the kilos (73 kg) with
        no cap. There are a lot of the spacing issues at numbers in your
        review. Please go through it looking for them, rather then me listing
        them all.

        ***Date: 07/27/2007

        EDIT: as numerical dates are different around the world we want them
        spelled out like; July 27, 2007

        ***Manufacturer: MSR

        EDIT: you need to spell out the name at least the first time. After
        that you can use MSR

        ***Minimum Weight: 3 lbs. 14 oz. /1.7 kg
        ***Packaged Weight: 4 lbs. 12 oz. /2.1 kg
        ***Fly w/ Footprint Weight: 2 lbs. 13 oz. /1.3 kg

        EDITS: no periods after lbs and oz

        ***Poles, Pole Sack, Pole Repair Thing 1lb 4.3oz (0.58 kg)

        EDIT: you keep jumping back and forth using lbs and lb for pounds.
        You need to use one or the other, preferably lb please change them
        all to the same style

        ***Floor + Vestibule Area: 29 + 17.5 sq. ft. /2.8 + 1.6 sq. m
        ***Interior Peak Height: 40 in. /100 cm

        EDIT: please remove the periods (sq ft in)

        ***Product Description:

        EDIT: here is why we suggest something easier than a tent at first.
        You have a good start to your description. But there is a lot more
        you should be telling us about it. What are the poles made of? How
        are they configured? Explain the hub system. What kind of stakes does
        it have? How many? Are there guy points on the body? The fly? Are
        there pockets or storage areas/lofts? What are the zippers like on
        the tent and fly?

        ***the entire tent takes less than three minutes to set up once
        you've done it a few times.
        ***The rain fly also stakes out, giving room for two vestibules,
        which allows you to keep your pack and gear dry during wet weather.

        EDIT: so as to avoid projection we do not use "you" and "your" in our
        writing, rather keep it in the first person by using "I" and "my"
        instead. So it should be, "the entire tent took less than three
        minutes to set up once I had done it a few times." Do the same with
        the next sentence too.

        ***Field Information:

        This has some of what we need here. This section should tell us how
        many times you have used the tent and where. What elevations it has
        been pitched at, and the temperatures if you knew them.

        Then you need a Field Use section to tell about how it works for you.

        ***This tent has been used in various places, ranging from rocky
        desert, to forest, to a gravel-bed next to a river. I have personally
        used it in very windy conditions

        EDIT: this makes it sound as if this is someone else's tent, and that
        you did not use it in the areas described. Is this the case?

        ***so if you are in a real windy area, make sure there is gear or
        stakes

        EDIT: the "you" thing again. You need to change that sentence.
        Something like, "If I am in a real windy area I make sure to stake
        out the tent or have gear holding it down".

        ***The tent is designed so you can set up the rain-fly without
        necessarily setting up the tent, so if it's raining, you should be
        able to set up

        EDIT: the "you" again

        ***I think next, I'll try stuffing it all instead of folding and
        rolling it up

        Comment: that is how I do all of mine