OR - Bull Frog Quickgel Sunscreen - Mike Curry

  • Mike C.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2007
      Here's one for this month's call . . . the manufacturer seems to
      bounce around between using Bull Frog and BullFrog, so I chose the
      one that seemed most common and went with it . . . I'm happy to
      change it if you desire.

      HTML can be found at http://tinyurl.com/23ujbp

      BULL FROG QUICKGEL SUNBLOCK
      BY MIKE CURRY
      OR
      July 14, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Curry
      EMAIL: thefishguyAThotmailDOTcom
      AGE: 37
      LOCATION: Aberdeen, Washington
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 205 lb (93.00 kg)

      I've been backpacking, climbing, ski-packing, bushwhacking, and
      snowshoeing throughout the mountains of Oregon and Washington for
      the last 25 years. I'm an all-season, all terrain, off-trail kind
      of guy, but these days (having small kids) most of my trips run on
      the shorter side of things, and tend to be in the temperate
      rainforest. While I've carried packs (with winter climbing gear) in
      excess of 70 pounds (32 kilos), the older I get the more minimalist
      I become.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Bull Frog
      "http://www.bullfrogsunscreen.com/quik.html" LINK TEXT
      = "http://www.bullfrogsunscreen.com/quik.html">>
      MSRP: None listed
      Listed Weight: None
      Measured Weight: Varies with use
      Other details: The most recent bottle of the product tested was a 4
      fl oz (118 ml) bottle. It is now sold in 5 fl oz (148) bottles.

      FIELD USE

      I have used Bull Frog Quickgel on dozens of backpacking trips over
      the past 5 years. Most of the trips I have used it on have been in
      higher elevation (for around my locale) open country, where I'm
      likely to have the sun beating down on me. Elevations have
      typically ranged from 3,000 ft (914 m) to 6,000 ft (1829 m), and
      temperatures are usually 70-100 F (21-38 C) when I use this product.

      REVIEW

      I am a person that sweats a lot, so I need a sunscreen that won't
      just run off me when the sweat starts pouring. I've tried a number
      over the years, with mixed results. Bull Frog Quickgel is the one I
      go to when I know I'm going to be more than 4-5 hours in the sun and
      it's hot enough to make me sweat profusely. It is the most
      waterproof and sweatproof sunscreen I have found.

      Bull Frog Quickel is an oily-textured lotion (I wouldn't exactly
      call it a gel) with a slight grittiness to it. It has an unusual,
      though not unpleasant, aroma that reminds me somewhat of the bug
      spray my mom used to douse me with as a kid while car-camping. I
      feel a little nostalgic every time I put it on.

      The instructions for use with this product are very
      straightforward: "Apply evenly and liberally onto dry skin before
      sun exposure. Rub gel in quickly & completely - then go for it!
      Reapply after toweling off. Bull Frog washes off with soap and
      water."

      My method of application varies slightly from this. I use a small
      amount, spread it around, wait a minute, rub it in more, and repeat
      until it no longer feels sticky. Then I reapply immediately in the
      same manner. I laugh when I look at the bottle where it
      says, "dries instantly.' In my experience Bull Frog Quickgel never
      really "dries," it just becomes less sticky. After applying, I feel
      a sticky/oily residue until I wash it off. Things like dry fir
      needles will typically stick to my skin with almost as much tenacity
      as a post-it note to a desk. Rubbing it in more can reduce the
      stickiness, but the oily sensation never really goes away. It isn't
      a sensation I like, but I like it a whole lot more than a sunburn.

      So if Bull Frog Quickgel is oily, gritty, sticky, and never really
      dries, why do I use it? Simple, it works under circumstances other
      products won't.

      Bull Frog not only can stand up to my sweat, but it will take all
      the stream or river fords I can find and swims in alpine lakes in
      stride. Sure, there are drawbacks, but once I apply Bull Frog
      Quickgel I don't have to worry about sunburn. Dirt and duff
      sticking to me, yes. Oily, sticky skin, absolutely. Sunburn, nope.

      I actually began using Bull Frog products not for backpacking rather
      while working as a Scuba instructor in the early 1990's. I can
      honestly say that even in Central America, getting in and out of the
      water dozens of times a day, and in the baking sun at 105 F (41 C)
      I've never had to reapply a Bull Frog product before the sun set.
      My good experiences with it there carried over to my backpacking,
      where it has served me equally well.

      While there are other products I prefer if I'm not going to be in
      the sun all day, Bull Frog Quickgel is what I use when I need
      reliable all-day protection from the sun. I usually repackage it
      into a smaller container to save weight, and carry only what I
      anticipate needing for the environment I'm in and the clothing I'm
      wearing.

      One suggestion regarding using this product while backpacking: I am
      always very careful to wash this stuff off with soap and water
      before turning into my sleeping bag. The stickiness factor,
      combined with its dust-magnet properties, make it tough for me to
      sleep (and messy!) if I don't wash it off. Soap is an absolute
      requirement to remove the product, so I suggest carrying soap and
      washing it off before turning in for the night.

      THINGS I LIKE

      *Single application each day
      *Incredible water and sweat resistance
      *High sun protection factor (SPF)

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      *Oily feeling and residual stickiness on skin
      *Gritty feeling while applying
      *Having things stick to me (pine and fir needles, dirt, etc.)

      SIGNATURE

      Mike Curry - thefishguyAThotmailDOTcom

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
    • chcoa