OWNER REVIEW - REI Mesh MTS Brief - Men's - Ken Helms

  • watercamper
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2007
      OK - This is my second OR. I hope that it contains far fewer
      mistakes than my first OR.

      REI Mesh MTS Brief - Men's
      BY Ken Helms
      OR
      July 09, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Ken Helms
      EMAIL: watercamper@...
      AGE: 50
      LOCATION: Boise, Idaho
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      The backpacking bug bit me around 1984 when I moved to California and
      has stuck around through the years. It even prodded me into snow
      camping and ski touring so that I could get into the mountains during
      the winter. I've visited the back country in California, Wyoming,
      Alaska, Nevada, Utah, Colorado and my home state of Idaho. I've
      lowered my pack weight and enjoy trails and off trail pursuits with
      my wife and dog throughout the year. Our trips typically range from
      two to six days and we usually camp between 25 and 40 nights each
      year.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: REI
      Year of Manufacture: 2005
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.rei.com/"
      LINK TEXT = "www.rei.com/">>
      MSRP: US $16.00
      Listed Weight: None Listed
      Measured Weight: 2.1 oz (60 g)
      Fabric: 95% polyester/5% Lycra spandex
      Available Sizes: Small, Medium, Large, X Large, XX Large
      Available Colors: Heather Gray, Black, Blueridge
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Heather
      Gray Front">><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION
      = "Heather Gray Rear">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Blueridge
      Front">>

      A further description of these briefs as given on the REI website is
      that they are made from a stretch polyester mesh that wicks moisture
      and dries quickly. They have an elastic waist with flat seams at the
      front fly opening. The flat seam construction minimizes chafing.

      Additional waist sizing information from the REI website is:
      Small 28 in - 30 in (71 cm - 76 cm)
      Medium 31 in - 33 in(79 cm - 84 cm)
      Large 34 in - 36 in (86 cm - 91 cm)
      X Large 37 in - 40 in (94 cm - 102 cm)
      XX Large 41 in - 44 in (104 cm - 112 cm)

      Care: This information is on the label on the inside of the brief:
      Machine wash cold. Wash dark colors separately. Do not use bleach
      or fabric softener. Tumble dry low. Do not iron. Do not dry clean.

      Field Use

      Like any frugal backpacker, I used my department store cotton
      underwear for years. While on a trip, I noticed that my wife's
      synthetic Patagonia briefs were almost dry after a rinse while my
      cotton briefs hadn't even finished dripping. I bought two pair of
      the REI briefs after returning home.

      I've used them for two seasons. I typically wear one pair while
      hiking and the other pair is either in my pack or drying on the back
      of my pack.

      I've worn them in the mountainous terrain in Idaho while backpacking
      or day hiking at elevations from 5000 feet (1524 m) to 10,000 feet
      (3048 m).

      The temperatures during these trips have run between a low of 12° F (-
      11° C) to a high of 105° F (40.56° C) with conditions ranging from
      sunny to cloudy, rain, snow or hail.

      Summary

      There were three performance issues that I was looking for: (1) no
      chafing (2) minimal odor retention and (3) quick drying.

      Chafing: I haven't had any chafing issues with these briefs. They
      have a more snug fit than my everyday brief and if I don't make sure
      that the waistband is below my pack hip belt, I get some "ride-up".

      Minimal Odor Retention: My typical method of washing my briefs in
      the wilderness is an end of the day quick rinse while swimming in a
      lake or stream or a wash and rinse in a bucket of water at camp. I
      then wring them out and hang them to dry on a nearby rock or bush. I
      seldom use soap so I wanted a material that wouldn't hold odor.
      These briefs hold very little odor if any after a simple water wash
      and rinse.

      Quick Drying: This really depends on items like the temperature,
      humidity, sun exposure and wind speed. I've had them dry as fast as
      20 minutes or still be damp after spending the night in a sealed tent
      during rain but, in general, they dry noticeably faster than my old
      cotton briefs and are comfortable when damp.

      My frugal nature steps in after the performance issues have been
      attained. I want the briefs to last a long time! They cost quite a
      bit more than my old cotton briefs. So, after two seasons of use and
      home launderings after the trip, the waistband shows no sign of
      losing its elasticity. There are no holes, rips or loose seams on
      the briefs and it appears that I will get many more seasons of use.

      Pros

      No chafing, minimal odor retention, quick drying.

      Cons

      A small amount of waistband "ride-up" when not positioned properly.

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2007
          Hello David,

          Thank you for your Owner Review. Your edits will follow, they will
          take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
          to the subject line.

          You can also put a copy of the corrected version in the test folders.
          Please give me a link.

          Ray

          ***Manufacturer: REI

          EDIT: you need to spell out their name the first time

          EDIT: what is MTS? Since you are reviewing it you need to explain
          what it stands for. After that you can just write "MTS" all you want.

          ***I noticed that my wife's synthetic Patagonia briefs were almost
          dry after a rinse

          EDIT: as we are not supposed to compare other brands in our review
          could you please drop patagonia's name and just leave it
          at "synthetic briefs"?

          ***to a high of 105° F (40.56° C)

          Edit: they like us to round these off, so this would be 41 C