REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - MSR Superfly - Dave Tagnani

  • tagnanidavid
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2007
      Okay, round two. The HTML file is here:

      MSR Superfly Stove
      Owner Review

      Name: Dave Tagnani
      Age: 31
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 10" (1.77 m)
      Weight: 160 lb (73 kg)
      Email address: dtagnani@...
      City, State, Country: Spokane, Washington, U.S.
      Date: June 26, 2007

      Backpacking Background: I have been camping and hiking for as long as
      I can remember, but I've really only been backpacking for eight years
      or so. I started off in the hills of northeastern and central
      Pennsylvania, have hiked trails from Maine to Georgia, and now I am
      exploring the incredible terrain of the inland northwest. I seldom do
      trips longer than three days, with most trips being overnighters. I do
      not own crampons, an ice axe, or a climbing harness, so if the route
      is technical enough to require them, you won't find me there. I simply
      like to walk in the woods.

      Product Info:

      Manufacturer: MSR (Mountain Safety Research)
      Year of Manufacture: 2003
      Listed weight: 4.6 oz (131 grams)
      Weight as delivered: 4.9 oz (139 grams)
      Length: 3 ½" (8.9 cm)
      Width: 4 ¾" (12.1 cm)
      MSRP: $49.95 US
      Fuel: canister fuel (butane, isobutane, blends, etc.)
      Boil Time: 3 min. (according to manufacturer)
      Boil Capacity: 3.99 gallons (15.1 L) per 8 oz. (227 g) canister
      (according to manufacturer)

      The Superfly comes with a nylon storage bag with a draw-string
      closure. The bag is big enough to also hold an 8 oz. (227 g) fuel
      canister, and it is tough enough that it has survived years of use
      without a tear.

      The Superfly is tiny, easily fitting into the palm of my hand (see
      dimensions above). It has only three moving parts: the pot supports,
      which collapse for storage; the multi-mount grabber, which screws onto
      the fuel canister; and the flame adjuster, which collapses for storage
      and of course rotates to adjust fuel flow.

      I have used this stove exclusively for all of my backpacking trips
      over the past 4 years. Elevation has ranged from about 800' (244 m) up
      to 4800' (1463m). The terrain has been varied: beaches, mountains,
      dense deciduous forests, sparse coniferous forests, temperate
      rainforest, and high desert. The coldest temperature I have attempted
      to use this stove in is 36 F (2 C). Besides varying boil times based
      on temperature, the Superfly performs consistently.

      MSR suggests MSR IsoPro fuel (of course), but most canister butane or
      butane blend works. I've used them all over the years and haven't
      noticed any major difference in the performance of the Superfly.
      Recently, I've been using SnowPeak canisters and they work fine. I
      just purchase whatever is cheapest, so long as it is a good quality
      isobutane blend.

      The two main things that affect the functionality of this stove are
      temperature and wind. I'll assume temperature needs no elaboration.
      But wind has a big impact because not only does the Superfly not come
      with a windscreen, MSR says that you should not use one. I don't like
      to take chances when working with compressed flammable gas, so no
      windscreen. This leaves the stove exposed to the wind, and a good
      breeze can increase boiling times significantly. The most I do is try
      to shield it a bit behind a log, stump, rock, etc. But this is only
      minimally effective. In optimal conditions, MSR's stated boiling time
      is pretty accurate. I can boil two cups (.47 L) of water is three and
      a half minutes in warm temperatures with no wind.

      The best thing about the Superfly is its versatility. It is the
      second-lightest stove that MSR makes (the Pocket Rocket is lighter),
      but for an extra ounce (28.4 g), the Superfly has a much larger burner
      that is more effective at evenly heating larger pots/pans. The flame
      is highly adjustable, anywhere from a simmer to full-blown boil. And
      with the larger burner, frying bacon and eggs in a pan is doable. And
      of course the big advantage of canister stoves over liquid-fuel
      stoves—besides the weight—is that there is no pumping, priming, etc.
      Simply screw it on and light it. I can have it set up and ready to go
      in 10 seconds.

      Besides susceptibility to windy conditions, the only other concern
      with the Superfly is stability. This is the trade off for such a light
      weight. Since it uses the canister as a base, there is a 4 ¼ " (10.8
      cm) base for a pot of water that might be sitting 12" (30.5 cm) off of
      the ground. On a picnic table, this is not a problem. But if I'm near
      a picnic table, I probably don't need this stove. Out in the woods, it
      pays to take a few moments to prepare a reasonably level, sturdy
      surface to avoid spills: find a flat rock, shim it with other rocks, etc.

      Over the past four years of backpacking and cooking with the Superfly,
      I have only run into one problem. The "multi-mount grabber" stripped.
      There are two aluminum tabs under the grabber that hook onto the lip
      of the canister. One year after my initial purchase, these tabs
      developed slight bends that prevented them from grabbing the lip of
      the canister securely. Luckily, the retailer exchanged it for a new
      one. I have not had a repeat of the same problem, so I'm beginning to
      think it may have been user error. Perhaps I was trying to tighten it
      too far? Maybe I was not ensuring solid contact before tightening it?
      I don't know. Anyway, the new stove performed perfectly and there are
      no hints of stripping even after three years of moderately heavy use.

      All in all, this stove is an excellent choice for most trips. It is
      not perfect, but it is perfect for my purposes: extended weekend trips
      in less-than-extreme conditions. It makes trade-offs to save weight
      and space, but isn't everything a trade off?

      Adjustable flame

      Susceptible to wind
      Be gentle with the tabs on the grabber

      Dave Tagnani
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2007
        OK Dave, great job again. I only see one edit. Fix it and you may
        upload your corrected review to its new home at;

        Reviews > Cook Gear > Stoves > MSR Super Fly

        Or here;

        Log in to BGT, and then navigate to that folder. Click "Upload
        Report," be sure to select the "Owner Review" button, and follow the
        instructions to upload your HTML file and pictures.

        Thanks for the Owner Review, we will look forward to your next one.

        ***Elevation has ranged from about 800' (244 m) up to 4800' (1463m).

        EDIT: need a space at (1463 m)