OR - Sawyer Repellent - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2007
      Here is an OR for my editing colleagues. The HTML may be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/2q5pa6

      Sawyer Permethrin Clothing Repellent
      By Raymond Estrella
      OWNER REVIEW
      July 07, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrella@...
      AGE: 46
      LOCATION: Huntington Beach California USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and
      in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my brother-in-law Dave or fiancée Jenn.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: Sawyer Products, Inc.
      Web site: www.sawyerproducts.com
      Product: Permethrin Clothing Repellent
      Product number: SP647n
      Year manufactured: 2005
      MSRP: N/A
      Volume listed (ingredient only): 6 fl oz (177 ml)

      Product Description

      The Sawyer Permethrin Clothing repellent came in a non-aerosol
      plastic pump-type bottle, a picture of it courtesy of Sawyer is seen
      to the right. The bottle contains 6 fl oz (177 ml) of Permethrin, an
      insect repellent and contact killer used widely in the outdoor flower
      gardening industry to control ants, beetles and other crawly
      critters. The dilution of the product sold by Sawyer is a 0.50%
      solution. Among the warnings on the label the most glaring is
      to, "not use this product on bare skin". It is not to be used as a
      repellent after the manner of DEET and the other common repellents,
      but is to be used to treat clothing that will be worn only after the
      item has dried completely. While I try to stay away from using
      manufacturer's hyperbole in my reviews, I believe that this is a case
      that it would be best to use their words to describe the product,
      lest I mislead in any way with a potentially dangerous (if mis-used)
      product. I will comment on it later.

      "Permethrin is a contact insecticide. That is, it kills ticks or
      other insects when it comes in contact with them. It is used on
      clothing and materials. It uses the same active ingredient used in
      hair shampoos for head lice. When applied to clothing the Permethrin
      binds to the fabric eliminating the risk of over-exposure to the
      skin."

      "As a clothing, tent or sleeping bag application, Permethrin is very
      effective at keeping ticks from attaching to you and at reducing the
      mosquito population in your camping area."

      "Permethrin is also an effective repellent against mosquitoes and
      flies and can be used in conjunction with a skin based repellent.
      Permethrin can be used as the primary repellent if the exposed skin
      area (gaps in the treated clothing) is not too large. By storing the
      treated clothing in black plastic bags between uses the protection
      can be extended considerably."

      "Developed in cooperation with the U.S. Military, government
      agencies, universities, and others; this Sawyer Clothing repellent
      offers superior protection from disease-carrying biting insects. The
      active ingredient, Permethrin, is a synthetic molecule similar to
      those found in natural pyrethrum which is taken from the
      Chrysanthemum flower. Not only does this product repel insect, but
      will actually kill ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, mites and more than
      55 other kinds of insects. Sawyer Permethrin insect repellents are
      for use with clothing, tents, and other gear. A single application
      lasts 6 washings. Permethrin is odorless when dry, and during the
      drying process, it tightly bonds with the fibers of the treated
      garmet. It will not stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics,
      finished surfaces, or any of your outdoor gear."

      Field Conditions

      I used the Sawyer Permethrin on two major trips, the first a three-
      day 51 mile (82 km) backpacking trip in the Sequoia National Forest.
      Elevations ranged from 2700' to 8000' (820 to 2400 m). Three quarters
      of the trip was along the Kern River and various creeks. Portions of
      the trails were so heavily over-grown that one section going to a
      water fall took me 2 hours 10 minutes to go 5 miles (8 km) downhill.
      (About 45 minutes slower than normal for me when I am solo.) Ticks,
      mosquitoes and deer flies were abundant. Temperatures got up to 108 F
      (42 C) on this trip, although the sections in the trees at the edge
      of Domeland Wilderness only saw them in the 70's F (24 C), thank the
      lord…

      The next was a six and a half day 90 mile (145 km) trek along the
      northern John Muir Trail through Yosemite National Park (and others).
      The weather took a turn for the worse dropping to a low of 17 F (-8
      C) but it did nothing to kill the mosquitoes, at least as we got back
      to warmer areas. The highs on that trip were in the 70's F (24 C).
      Elevations ranged from 8000' to over 12000' (2400 to 3660 m)

      Because of the nature of the product it was used on other hikes, but
      those mentioned are the reasons for its use.
      Observations
      In March of 2005 I purchased an Ex Officio Buzz Off shirt and was
      impressed by the way that it worked on ticks. After doing some
      research into how it was made I decided to try some do-it-yourself
      stuff for a trip to the lower Sierra Nevada at the heart of bug
      season, where I knew I would be around water most of the time. I just
      did a short sleeved tee, a long sleeved tee, and a pair of shorts.

      Following the directions to get both sides, and to completely
      saturate the clothing item I put the clothes on plastic hangers and
      hung them outside my California apartment. My finger got tired of
      spraying by the time I had everything soaked. And it used the entire
      bottle, so I do not know about the claim to do two outfits. Of course
      I have been getting bigger as middle age slaps me in the face…wait! I
      am losing weight. Well maybe it would do a couple outfits for my kids.

      I let them dry completely before I even brought them in the house.
      Even then I put them in my bathroom for the next two days. I wanted
      to make sure there was no harmful fumes that may still be coming off
      them.

      I was pretty impressed by the first use. I am a bug magnet and get
      bit a lot through my shirts. I could really tell in the evening. I
      like to wash up every day after hiking. I hate leaving sweat and bug
      repellent on me and try to jump in a creek, lake or river whenever
      possible. But as soon as the sun starts going down the mosquitoes get
      bad! I hate juicing up again before climbing into my sleeping bag. I
      could tell that the skeeters did not like the long SmartWool shirt I
      was wearing in the evening. Here is a shot of that shirt at dinner
      time in the Sierra.

      Three and a half months later I used a second bottle to do the same
      shirts again and to spray some Gramicci pants for the Yosemite trip.
      Again I was impressed by the way that it seemed to keep the
      mosquitoes off my back. The tick problem is not as bad in the
      northern Sierra as it is in the southern sections where they still
      have a lot of cattle in the forests. So I was not as concerned about
      them. (It was pretty late for ticks to be a major problem anyway.)
      But the needle-bombers were bad, as always. I brought my Buzz Off
      shirt also on this trip for layering and with both shirts on I was
      golden. I only had to use DEET on my hands, neck, and arms when I had
      the short sleeved tee on (which is a lot of the time as I get so darn
      hot hiking).

      I have noticed that horse flies are not bothered by the treated
      clothing. They happily bite right through it where it is stretched
      tight across my shoulders or back. Deer flies though do not seem to
      like it, which is a good thing as I can't stand those aggressive
      suckers.

      In conclusion I have found that the Sawyer product works excellent
      against ticks, very well against deer flies and mosquitoes and poorly
      against horse
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13, 2007
          Hello Ray,

          Looks good. A few trifling edits. Please upload to

          http://tinyurl.com/368mtm

          One thing that I have wondered about is whether the permethrin stays
          as well bonded to the fabric when the clothing is wet, sweat or rain?

          Best,

          Ted.

          > Field Conditions
          >
          > I used the Sawyer Permethrin on two major trips, the first a three-
          > day 51 mile (82 km) backpacking trip in the Sequoia National Forest.
          > Elevations ranged from 2700' to 8000' (820 to 2400 m). Three quarters
          > of the trip was along the Kern River and various creeks. Portions of
          > the trails were so heavily over-grown that one section going to a
          > water fall took me 2 hours 10 minutes to go 5 miles (8 km) downhill.
          > (About 45 minutes slower than normal for me when I am solo.) Ticks,
          > mosquitoes and deer flies were abundant. Temperatures got up to 108 F
          > (42 C) on this trip, although the sections in the trees at the edge
          > of Domeland Wilderness only saw them in the 70's

          ### EDIT: 70s

          F (24 C), thank the
          > lord…
          >
          > The next was a six and a half day 90 mile (145 km) trek along the
          > northern John Muir Trail through Yosemite National Park (and others).
          > The weather took a turn for the worse dropping to a low of 17 F (-8
          > C) but it did nothing to kill the mosquitoes, at least as we got back
          > to warmer areas. The highs on that trip were in the 70's

          ### EDIT: 70s

          F (24 C).
          > Elevations ranged from 8000' to over 12000' (2400 to 3660 m)
          >
          > Because of the nature of the product it was used on other hikes, but
          > those mentioned are the reasons for its use.
          > Observations
          > In March of 2005 I purchased an Ex Officio Buzz Off shirt and was
          > impressed by the way that it worked on ticks. After doing some
          > research into how it was made I decided to try some do-it-yourself
          > stuff for a trip to the lower Sierra Nevada at the heart of bug
          > season, where I knew I would be around water most of the time. I just
          > did a short sleeved tee, a long sleeved tee, and a pair of shorts.

          > I have noticed that horse flies are not bothered by the treated
          > clothing. They happily bite right through it where it is stretched
          > tight across my shoulders or back. Deer flies though do not seem to
          > like it, which is a good thing as I can't stand those aggressive
          > suckers.
          >
          > In conclusion I have found that the Sawyer product works excellent

          ### COMMENT: "works excellently" or "excels against ticks..." if I'm
          going to be pedantic about it... <g>

          > against ticks, very well against deer flies and mosquitoes and poorly
          > against horse

        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 14, 2007
            > One thing that I have wondered about is whether the permethrin stays
            > as well bonded to the fabric when the clothing is wet, sweat or rain?

            Hi Ted,

            I don't think so. I put a paragraph about that in there. When I was
            completely sweat covered they were biting my back at a stream that we
            were filtering water near.

            Thamks for the help, all changes made and it is up.

            I am out the door, have a good weekend.