OWNER REVIEW: Olympus Stylus 770SW 7.1 Megapixel Digital Camera

  • Tim D. Williamson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
      Olympus Stylus 770SW 7.1 Megapixel Digital Camera

      BIOGRAPHICAL INFO:

      Name: Tim D. Williamson
      Age: 37
      Gender: M
      Height: 1.8 meters (5'11")
      Weight: 70.3 kilograms (155 pounds)
      Email address: timdwilliamson |at| yahoo.com, backpack |at| bluefrogdesignstudios.com
      City, State, Country: Loxley, AL, USA
      Date: July 5, 2007

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND:

      I've day-hiked since I was about 12 years old, and just recently made the transition to lightweight backpacking. I plan to get in two or three overnight trips a year, with shorter hikes interspersed. Most of my hiking experience is in the Southeast and Southwest, but I've also hiked in the Pacific Northwest, the Great Plains and the Rocky Mountains. Backpacking experience so far is limited to overnights in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Georgia in the spring and early summer. I'm also experienced in caving and kayaking, which involve skill sets that very often overlap with backpacking.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION:

      Manufacturer: Olympus
      Year Manufactured: 2007
      MSRP: US$379.99
      Manufacturer's Link: http://www.olympusamerica.com/
      Size: 91.8mm x 59.2mm x 20.6mm (3.6” W x 2.3” H x 0.8” D)
      Listed Weight: 155g (5.5oz) without battery and media card
      Measured Weight: 155g (5.5oz) without battery and media card
      170g (6oz) with battery and media card
      Included wrist strap is 5g (.2oz).
      Optional metal chain lanyard is 35g (1.2oz)
      CCD: 7.1 megapixel (effective), 7.4 megapixel gross
      Shockproof: Up to 1.5m (5') (MIL-STD-810F Drop Test Compliant)
      Waterproof: to 10m (33') (JIS Class 8)
      Crushproof: to 97.7 kp (220 pounds-force/978.6 newtons)
      Operating Temperature: -10° – 40°C (14° – 104°F), 30% – 90% humidity
      Storage Temperature: -20° – 60°C (-4° – 140°F), 10% – 90% humidity
      Media capacity: 1 gigabyte media card will hold between 4920 and 294 images, or between 1:47:36 and 18:37 in video depending on quality settings.

      INITIAL CONSIDERATIONS:

      I was looking for a lighter camera than my five year old Olympus C4000 Zoom (295 g/10.5 oz) to carry while backpacking. It had to be shock resistant, because I'm prone to dropping things. It had to be water resistant, in case of inclement weather or in case I dropped it in water. It had to operate in conditions of high humidity, since I live in and travel to very humid environments. It had to be small enough to fit in my pocket, so I didn't have to carry a camera case. It also had to be resistant to dirt and dust, since I'd be using it on the trail. I had originally considered carrying a digital camcorder, but decided not to due to weight considerations. Therefore, a camera that could capture video with sound would be preferred.

      I chose the Olympus Stylus 770SW based on prior experience with at least five different Olympus digital cameras, two of which were Stylus models. It is about half the weight of my previous camera and much smaller. It fit my requirements by being shockproof from 1.5m, which is just below my shoulder height and is higher than the height from which I expected to drop the camera. It was advertised as waterproof to 33m, which far exceeds my requirements, since I didn't expect to be diving with it. Because it is waterproof, it will operate in high-humidity environments and can be easily cleared of dust and dirt. It can capture up to -- minutes of video (with sound) on a 1Gb memory card.

      OPERATING ENVIRONMENT:

      I used this camera for a week-long trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains of Georgia, where I hiked a total of 12 miles over five separate mountains with a total climb of approximately 3600'. Temperatures were between 7°C and 30°C (45°F - 85°F) and the relative humidity was between 25% and 95%.

      When I returned home, I used the camera for a two-day trip to Gulf Shores, Alabama, where I tested the waterproof features under daytime conditions. Temperatures were between 21°C - 35°C (73°F - 95°F) and relative humidity between 37% and 100%.

      PRODUCT PERFORMANCE:

      The Olympus Stylus 770SW performed very well on the trail. The shock resistance allowed me to carry the camera in the side pocket of my hiking pants, where I repeatedly whacked it with my wooden hiking stick. I didn't have to worry about dust, because the outer surface shed dust readily. Even the view-screen (the camera doesn't have an optical viewfinder) seemed to resist fingerprints and dust. The automatic lens cover was an unexpectedly welcome feature, as I didn't have to worry about taking the lens cover off and remembering to put it back on. The camera is equipped with a battery-saver feature which "sleeps" the camera when it hasn't been used for 10 seconds. Also, the battery-low indicator, unlike some of the other digital cameras I've used, alerted me to the low battery state well in advance of the camera's battery reaching its minimal operating voltage. I was able to take approximately 20 more pictures and five more minutes of video after the indicator showed a low
      battery, by using the powersaver feature and choosing my shots before I turned on the camera.

      I was also very happy with the onboard LED lighting for macro shots. Most digital cameras deactivate the flash when in macro or super-macro mode. The Stylus 770SW compensates for this with an LED illuminator. The LED can also be used to illuminate a subject in low light situations in the normal shooting mode when the subject is close enough.

      This brings me to the only problem I had with the camera: focusing. Even well-lit subjects seem to be slightly out of focus if there's not some edge the camera can use to focus on. There's no manual focus, so you're at the mercy of the auto-focus. I tried using the built-in image stabilizer, and that seemed to get better results. Interestingly, there was no problem with focus in macro or super macro modes. All of my bug and flower shots came out perfectly sharp. There are 27 separate shooting modes, in addition to the normal and image stabilized modes, and experimenting with these resulted in better focusing. Still, for a point and shoot camera, the focusing left something to be desired. I will continue to experiment with various settings to see if there is some combination of lighting and features which results in sharper images.

      Other than the focusing issue, all photos were of excellent quality. Images which were in perfect focus were otherwise very vivid and I had no color issues.

      The camera is equipped with a manometer which is supposed to record depth or altitude of the pictures you take (from -10 m (-32.8 ft.) to 5,000 m (16,400 ft.)) and display the barometric pressure. However, it needs to be manually calibrated and can only be calibrated at multiples of 600 (meters or feet). This means you have to wait until you're at an even elevation (i.e. 1200m or 1200') to calibrate the manometer. Since I carry a GPS, I'm not concerned with keeping track of my altitude when I take pictures, but I could see this being an issue with divers.

      The Movie Mode turned out to be very useful. The picture quality was very good and the exposure quickly adjusted to various light levels. I recorded two and three-minute movies of the trail and myself (from arms length and using a tripod) and put the movies together later on my PC into one long presentation. In this way, I was able to record my thoughts and experiences in a way that still photos wouldn't have captured alone.

      Another feature which might be of use to a backpacker is the Sound Recording mode with still photos. With this setting activated, I could record about 4 seconds of audio immediately after taking a picture. In this way, even without recording video, I could record where I was and what I was taking a picture of, for future reference. This comes in handy when taking multiple shots from a single vantage point, like a mountain summit. I could take a picture facing North, and record a short audio file indicating that the picture was of the North view from a particular point.

      After I got home from the mountains, I took the camera to the beach for a day to test the waterproof features. It operated perfectly in depths up to 2 meters (6.5') in both still and movie modes. I was able to take pictures and video of my family swimming underwater and even some curious fish. The only problem I encountered was water stuck in the microphone. If I had realized this, I could have blown the water out. As it was, the video was muffled above water. Sound recorded underwater was muffled, but this is to be expected. When we were finished, I rinsed the camera off in tap water and let it air dry, according to the manufacturer's directions. After it was dry, I checked the battery port (which also houses the memory card) and USB port and found no water inside either. The camera has continued to function correctly.

      PROS:
      • Waterproof to a reasonable depth
      • Shock resistant to a reasonable height
      • Crush resistant to a reasonable weight
      • 27 special shooting modes, including Movie mode
      • Macro and Super Macro Modes
      • LED Illuminator
      • Powersaver feature

      CONS:
      • Difficulty finding an adequate focusing method
      • Calibration of manometer is not well-implemented

      FINAL CONSIDERATIONS:
      This camera has served me well as a rough-and-tumble alternative to a heavier, more full-featured camera. I'll probably buy a larger camera later for home use, but the Stylus 770SW will continue to be my choice for outdoor use. After reviewing the product manual, I believe that the focus issues could be avoided or eliminated with better knowledge of the different camera settings and shooting modes. Also, in the future, I'll know to blow the water out of the microphone before taking pictures or video above water after shooting underwater scenes.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 10, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 13, 2007
          Hello Tim,

          I'm always a little leery of camera reviews, as I've had some bad
          experiences editing them, but you seem to be on the right track here.
          I have a few edits scattered throughout (including one consistent
          small error regarding units), but most are not major, albeit necessary.

          One omission that I will address here, rather than in the body of the
          review, is that the section of the report frequently titled "product
          description," or something similar is not present. This should not be
          a technical manifesto, but a brief rundown on the materials used, etc.
          In a way, this is (perhaps) less pertinent for a camera than (say) a
          sleeping bag, but it is a required section for an OR, and I would like
          to see a paragraph or two.

          Please submit your edited version here, with REPOST where EDIT is now.
          I'd also like an HTML version (please don't forget the clickable link
          to the top-level manufacturer URL) in the Owner Review Test folder at

          http://tinyurl.com/7p4t6

          You will need to log in (or register, if you have not done so) before
          upload.

          Best,

          Ted

          BGT OR Editor

          > Olympus Stylus 770SW 7.1 Megapixel Digital Camera

          ### EDIT:

          This should be titled

          Owner Review Olympus Stylus 770SW 7.1 Megapixel Digital Camera

          Review Date: (whatever it is)

          > BIOGRAPHICAL INFO:
          >
          > Name: Tim D. Williamson
          > Age: 37
          > Gender: M
          > Height: 1.8 meters (5'11")

          ### EDIT: For consistency of abbreviation

          Height: 1.8 (5' 11")

          > Weight: 70.3 kilograms (155 pounds)

          ### EDIT: Also here

          Weight: 70.3 kg (155 lb)

          > Email address: timdwilliamson |at| yahoo.com, backpack |at|
          bluefrogdesignstudios.com
          > City, State, Country: Loxley, AL, USA
          > Date: July 5, 2007
          >
          > BACKPACKING BACKGROUND:
          >
          > I've day-hiked since I was about 12 years old, and just recently
          made the transition to lightweight backpacking. I plan to get in two
          or three overnight trips a year, with shorter hikes interspersed. Most
          of my hiking experience is in the Southeast and Southwest, but I've
          also hiked in the Pacific Northwest, the Great Plains and the Rocky
          Mountains. Backpacking experience so far is limited to overnights in
          the Blue Ridge Mountains of Georgia in the spring and early summer.
          I'm also experienced in caving and kayaking, which involve skill sets
          that very often overlap with backpacking.

          ### EDIT: If you prune back on this a little, you can provide some
          information on your backpacking style. I think it's important to the
          reader to indicate whether you are ultralight, lightweight, moderate
          or heavyweight in your approach.

          > PRODUCT INFORMATION:
          >
          > Manufacturer: Olympus
          > Year Manufactured: 2007
          > MSRP: US$379.99
          > Manufacturer's Link: http://www.olympusamerica.com/
          > Size: 91.8mm x 59.2mm x 20.6mm (3.6" W x 2.3" H x 0.8" D)
          > Listed Weight: 155g (5.5oz) without battery and media card
          > Measured Weight: 155g (5.5oz) without battery and media card
          > 170g (6oz) with battery and media card
          > Included wrist strap is 5g (.2oz).
          > Optional metal chain lanyard is 35g (1.2oz)
          > CCD: 7.1 megapixel (effective), 7.4 megapixel gross
          > Shockproof: Up to 1.5m (5') (MIL-STD-810F Drop Test Compliant)
          > Waterproof: to 10m (33') (JIS Class 8)

          ### EDIT: Please try to be consistent in leaving a space between
          integer and unit, e.g. 10 m, not 10m. This is an issue thorughout the
          review.

          > Crushproof: to 97.7 kp (220 pounds-force/978.6 newtons)
          > Operating Temperature: -10° – 40°C (14° – 104°F), 30% – 90% humidity
          > Storage Temperature: -20° – 60°C (-4° – 140°F), 10% – 90% humidity

          ### COMMENT: Not a big issue, but the degree symbol is not required.
          It's optional but we prefer it to be omitted.

          > Media capacity: 1 gigabyte media card will hold between 4920 and 294
          images, or between 1:47:36 and 18:37 in video depending on quality
          settings.

          > INITIAL CONSIDERATIONS:
          >
          > I was looking for a lighter camera than my five year old Olympus
          C4000 Zoom (295 g/10.5 oz) to carry while backpacking. It had to be
          shock resistant, because I'm prone to dropping things. It had to be
          water resistant, in case of inclement weather or in case I dropped it
          in water. It had to operate in conditions of high humidity, since I
          live in and travel to very humid environments. It had to be small
          enough to fit in my pocket, so I didn't have to carry a camera case.
          It also had to be resistant to dirt and dust, since I'd be using it on
          the trail. I had originally considered carrying a digital camcorder,
          but decided not to due to weight considerations. Therefore, a camera
          that could capture video with sound would be preferred.

          > I chose the Olympus Stylus 770SW based on prior experience with at
          least five different Olympus digital cameras, two of which were Stylus
          models. It is about half the weight of my previous camera and much
          smaller. It fit my requirements by being shockproof from 1.5m, which
          is just below my shoulder height and is higher than the height from
          which I expected to drop the camera. It was advertised as waterproof
          to 33m, which far exceeds my requirements, since I didn't expect to be
          diving with it. Because it is waterproof, it will operate in
          high-humidity environments and can be easily cleared of dust and dirt.
          It can capture up to --

          ### EDIT: -- ?

> [...]
          no color issues.

          > The camera is equipped with a manometer which is supposed to record
          depth or altitude of the pictures you take (from -10 m (-32.8 ft.) to
          5,000 m (16,400 ft.)) and display the barometric pressure. However, it
          needs to be manually calibrated and can only be calibrated at
          multiples of 600 (meters or feet). This means you have to wait until
          you're at an even elevation (i.e. 1200m or 1200') to calibrate the
          manometer. Since I carry a GPS, I'm not concerned with keeping track
          of my altitude when I take pictures, but I could see this being an
          issue with divers.

          > The Movie Mode turned out to be very useful. The picture quality was
          very good and the exposure quickly adjusted to various light levels. I
          recorded two and three-minute movies of the trail and myself (from arms

          ### EDIT: arm's

          length and using a tripod) and put the movies together later on my PC
          into one long presentation. In this way, I was able to record my
          thoughts and experiences in a way that still photos wouldn't have
          captured alone.

          > Another feature which might be of use to a backpacker is the Sound
          Recording mode with still photos. With this setting activated, I could
          record about 4 seconds of audio immediately after taking a picture. In
          this way, even without recording video, I could record where I was and
          what I was taking a picture of, for future reference. This comes in
          handy when taking multiple shots from a single vantage point, like a
          mountain summit. I could take a picture facing North, and record a
          short audio file indicating that the picture was of the North view
          from a particular point.

          > After I got home from the mountains, I took the camera to the beach
          for a day to test the waterproof features. It operated perfectly in
          depths up to 2 meters (6.5') in both still and movie modes. I was able
          to take pictures and video of my family swimming underwater and even
          some curious fish. The only problem I encountered was water stuck in
          the microphone. If I had realized this, I could have blown the water
          out. As it was, the video was muffled above water. Sound recorded
          underwater was muffled, but this is to be expected. When we were
          finished, I rinsed the camera off in tap water and let it air dry,
          according to the manufacturer's directions. After it was dry, I
          checked the battery port (which also houses the memory card) and USB
          port and found no water inside either. The camera has continued to
          function correctly.

          > PROS:
          > • Waterproof to a reasonable depth
          > • Shock resistant to a reasonable height
          > • Crush resistant to a reasonable weight
          > • 27 special shooting modes, including Movie mode
          > • Macro and Super Macro Modes
          > • LED Illuminator
          > • Powersaver feature
          >
          > CONS:
          > • Difficulty finding an adequate focusing method
          > • Calibration of manometer is not well-implemented
          >
          > FINAL CONSIDERATIONS:
          > This camera has served me well as a rough-and-tumble alternative to
          a heavier, more full-featured camera. I'll probably buy a larger
          camera later for home use, but the Stylus 770SW will continue to be my
          choice for outdoor use. After reviewing the product manual, I believe
          that the focus issues could be avoided or eliminated with better
          knowledge of the different camera settings and shooting modes. Also,
          in the future, I'll know to blow the water out of the microphone
          before taking pictures or video above water after shooting underwater
          scenes.

          > Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives
          you all the tools to get online.

        • Tim D. Williamson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 13, 2007
            Since I'm adding a significant amount of content with the Product Description, should I hold off making the HTML version until the edits have been approved?

            Tim D. Williamson -- timdwilliamson |at| yahoo |dot| com
            Artist, Gardener, Astronomer, Handyman, Chef,
            Wandering Guru, Soothsayer, & Purveyor of Obscure Trivia

            Please submit your edited version here, with REPOST where EDIT is now.
            I'd also like an HTML version (please don't forget the clickable link
            to the top-level manufacturer URL) in the Owner Review Test folder at

            http://tinyurl.com/7p4t6

            You will need to log in (or register, if you have not done so) before
            upload.

            Best,

            Ted

            BGT OR Editor

            Got a little couch potato?
          • edwardripleyduggan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 13, 2007
              Hi Tim,

              That may be preferable. Depends to some extent as to whether you are
              using BGT's Report Writer for the HTML, or another tool. Also depends
              on the extent of the revision. Your call, basically.

              Best,

              Ted.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 13, 2007
                I'll be writing my own HTML. I'm on a Macintosh.

                Revised to follow.

                Tim D. Williamson -- timdwilliamson |at| yahoo |dot| com
                Artist, Gardener, Astronomer, Handyman, Chef,
                Wandering Guru, Soothsayer, & Purveyor of Obscure Trivia

                That may be preferable. Depends to some extent as to whether you are
                using BGT's Report Writer for the HTML, or another tool. Also depends
                on the extent of the revision. Your call, basically.

                Best,

                Ted.

                http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
              • Tim D. Williamson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 16, 2007
                  Ted,

                  I've uploaded the HTML version of my review to the test folder. As you requested, I personalized the references to the product. I also highlighted (using italics) the areas where I added new information. After reviewing the product manual, I came to the conclusion that "power save" (not "powersaver") is a generic phrase used by Olympus, and not a proprietary feature. I have changed the review to reflect this understanding. The last instance of "power save" is still capitalized, because I capitalized the first letter of the rest of the entries in that list.

                  Thanks again for your help. This has been a very pleasant process.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 16, 2007
                    Hello Tim,

                    Nice work. The two additions are just fine, adding significant
                    information to the review. My only remaining edit is for you to remove
                    the review date from the biographical information (I missed this
                    redundancy), and to ask you to correct the review date to July 5 2007
                    (if that is indeed correct--I believe it is).

                    Please upload to

                    http://tinyurl.com/3xcetw

                    and you will have completed your first BGT owner review. Please
                    remember to check the "Owner review" radio button. I'm glad you
                    enjoyed the process, and I thank you for submitting an interesting OR!

                    Regards,

                    Ted.

                    --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Tim D. Williamson"