Owner Review Ultralite Men's Jacket

  • Samson Phan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
      Hi guys,
      I tried submitting this awhile ago. GOt to the point where it was
      going to be uploaded but got so frustrated trying to get the html
      right that i just gave up. I'm trying it again. So I'm giving it
      another shot. Below is the text:

      REI Men's Ultra Light Jacket

      Owner Review

      Samson Phan

      Tester Bio

      Name: Samson Phan

      Age: 26

      Gender: Male

      Height: 5' 10" (1.52 m)

      Weight: 145 lb (66 kg)

      Email address: Sphan@...

      City: Stanford

      State: California

      Country: USA

      Date: September 13, 2006

      Backpacking background

      I started hiking when I was in high school in the foothills east of
      Fresno, CA over 6 years ago. Afterwards, I helped guide trips with a
      student group at my school, usually on weekends. These consisted of
      taking other students to the outdoors and making sure they had a good
      time (Read: lots of equipment). I've had a number of longer
      excursions, but never for more than a week. Most were in the Sierra
      Nevada. I?m the type of hiker who brings everything with me. I now do
      a lot of car camping, taking hikes from base camp (my car).

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: REI

      Year of Manufacture: 2005

      Weight as delivered (for a large size): 14 oz (397 g)

      The REI Men's Ultra Light Jacket is a light unlined waterproof shell
      designed for light inclement weather. The following description was
      taken from the REI website:

      * Waterproof, breathable 2.5-layer REI Elements®/nylon with
      microporous polyurethane coating is seam-sealed for complete protection
      * Inside of fabric features unique topo-map design; Copyright (c)
      2002 REI, all rights reserved
      * Fully adjustable, zip-off brimmed hood stores inside collar;
      when you zip off the hood the neck flap covers the zipper for a clean look
      * Microfleece-lined collar provides added comfort
      * Underarm zippers allow adjustable ventilation
      * Chest pocket with water-resistant zipper holds essentials
      * Two zip handwarmer pockets give added storage space
      * Elastic-drawcord hem and elastic cuffs with adjustment tabs
      help seal out the elements
      * Double-layer front placket keeps wet weather and wind from
      penetrating; VELCRO® brand closures secure placket
      * Includes a 4 x 9 inch stuff sack

      Field Information

      I have used this jacket for just over a year under typical
      conditions associated with snowshoeing, hiking, backpacking and as
      streetwear. I usually hike in mountainous terrain and high elevation
      6000 - 8000 ft (1800 ? 2400 m) ASL. The Sierra Nevada can range from
      the upper 90s F (30 C) to below freezing. I bought this jacket because
      my previous, Goretex based jacket had been washed so many times and
      lost its coating, it seemed to absorb more water than shed. I wanted
      something that was light weight and could take more than a few washes.
      I bought the ?Bog? (green) version, though it comes in black, grey,
      orange, and blue as well. I wear a small North Face Denali fleece, but
      I bought a large jacket. That way, I can layer without being too
      constrained.

      If I?m just wearing the jacket and a short sleeve shirt, the
      plastic material might not be the best feeling fabric against my skin.
      It feels like one of those old yellow rain jackets. Especially
      during heavy exertion, the fabric will tend to stick. For those who
      layer and wear long sleeves, this is probably a moot point.

      I am a great fan of its watershedding abilities. I have been
      caught in hard downpours before and this jacket held up very nicely. A
      nice little touch is having the ends of the waist drawstrings go into
      the handwarming pockets, which are zippered to prevent anything
      falling out. I don?t have a bunch of loose cords that might snag
      onto things, especially when I pull the waist cord tight. Each zipper
      has an extra long and stiff tab that makes opening and closing easier
      when wearing gloves.

      The jacket goes down to my hip joint and is the same length all
      around. When I bend over, it doesn?t ride above my waist and expose
      flesh, which is a good thing, especially for the other campers. I know
      some jackets are longer in the back for this reason, but it isn?t
      necessary for this jacket, unless the hem drawstring is pulled too tight.

      The hood can be completely detached or tucked into the collar. The
      stiff brim prevents rain from dripping directly onto my face. It
      comes with a drawstring in the back that pulls it away from the face.
      The cord is hidden by a loop where goggles can run through so that
      they aren?t lost.

      The bulk of gloves worn during snowshoeing greatly adds to the
      cuff diameter needed. Fortunately, the cuffs have adjustable Velcro
      straps. A nice little touch is that the straps are stiffened, making
      it easier to grab when my hands are gloved. I would say my arm length
      is slightly longer than average, which is great for rock climbing, but
      not so much when trying to find clothing that covers my wrists.
      Either it?s because I bought a large or REI makes their sleeves longer
      than usual, but I found them to be ample. The converse problem, the
      sleeves being too long and covering my hands, is avoided because of
      the elastic in the sleeves.

      One of the improvements that could be made is integrating the small
      stuff pouch. I?ve already lost mine many times; I doubt I am the
      exception. Small circles of Velcro are used to keep the zipper flap in
      front closed. The type of Velcro is really sticky to just about
      everything except for the microfleece, which is a good thing! A
      continuous line of Velcro would probably do a better job at keeping
      water and wind out. Having waterproof zippers like the one on the
      front pouch for all the zippers would be icing on the cake.

      I keep the underarm vents closed most of the time, which means the
      zipper tab is now dangling around my elbow. Reversing the zipper
      would be an easy fix to this problem. My final qualm with this jacket
      is the fit of the neck collar. When it gets cold, I like to wear a
      neck gaiter. However, this coupled with the bulk from the fleece,
      makes it very difficult to zip the jacket all the way up without
      strangling myself.

      Overall, I am very happy with the performance of this jacket. In
      addition to surviving downpours and high winds, the REI Ultra Light
      Jacket hasn?t lost its water shedding abilities after numerous washes.
      If only I knew where I put the stuff sack?
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2007
        I thought we lost you too Samson. Glad to see you are sticking with
        it. Maybe the report writer would be something to look into???

        Just a thought.

        Your Ultralite Men's Jacket as been added to the queue once again. I
        listed it as Waiting for Edit since I had already removed you from the
        queue back in April and Roger, your previous editor, is out walking.
        I hope the 2nd time is the charm.

        Safe hiking,
        Jamie D
        Edit Admin Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2007
          Hi Samson,

          I know that Roger was helping you on this the first time you
          submitted it, but he is gone for a while so I will take it this time.
          One thing that he said in his last edit still needs to be done. This
          is the product description. As he said, it is OK to use the points
          from the site if you want but it still needs a description from you.
          Look through some reports from veteran members to see what we are
          talking about. Here is one of mine; http://tinyurl.com/33bdhb

          When you make the changes please repost here. You can also put the
          HTML version in the test folder. As this is your second review we
          would like to see you put at least one photo in it too. (It will be
          mandatory in test reports.)

          Ray

          ***Weight as delivered (for a large size): 14 oz (397 g)

          EDIT: you need the listed weight also, available on the web site
          EDIT: you need the MSRP, available on the web site

          *** and as streetwear.

          EDIT street wear

          ***I bought this jacket because my previous, Goretex based jacket

          EDIT: they spell it GORE-TEX

          ***If I'm just wearing the jacket and a short sleeve shirt, the
          plastic material might not be the best feeling fabric against my skin.

          EDIT: what plastic material? Do you mean the polyurethane coating?

          ***For those who layer and wear long sleeves, this is probably a moot
          point.

          EDIT: this is projection. You need to keep it about yourself.

          ***I am a great fan of its watershedding abilities.

          EDIT: water shedding

          ***the waist drawstrings go into the handwarming pockets,

          EDIT: hand-warming

          ***Fortunately, the cuffs have adjustable Velcro straps.

          EDIT: as REI does not say that they are Velcro brand, you should call
          them "hook-and-loop straps" instead

          ***Small circles of Velcro are used to keep the zipper flap in
          front closed. The type of Velcro is really sticky

          EDIT: same thing
        • Samson Phan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007
            Thanks for your help. The Report Writer rocks!
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Samson%20Phan%20REI%20Ultra%20Light%20Mens%20Jacket/

            REI MEN'S ULTRA LIGHT JACKET
            BY SAMSON PHAN
            OR
            July 11, 2007

            TESTER INFORMATION

            NAME: Samson Phan
            EMAIL: sphan007@...
            AGE: 26
            LOCATION: Stanford, CA , USA
            GENDER: m
            HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
            WEIGHT: 147 lb (66.70 kg)

            I started hiking when I was in high school in the foothills east of
            Fresno, CA over 6 years ago. Afterwards, I helped guide trips with a
            student group at my school, usually on weekends. These consisted of
            taking other students to the outdoors and making sure they had a good
            time (Read: lots of equipment). I've had a number of longer
            excursions, but never for more than a week. Most were in the Sierra
            Nevada. I'm the type of hiker who brings everything with me. I now do
            a lot of car camping, taking hikes from base camp (my car).

            PRODUCT INFORMATION

            Manufacturer: REI
            Year of Manufacture: 2005
            Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.rei.com"
            LINK TEXT = "www.rei.com">>
            MSRP: US$79.83 - US$119.00
            Listed Weight: 16 oz (453 g)
            Measured Weight: 14 oz (397 g)
            Other details:
            The REI Men's Ultra Light Jacket is a light unlined waterproof shell
            designed for light inclement weather. The following description was
            taken from the REI website (Fall 2006):

            Waterproof, breathable 2.5-layer REI Elements®/nylon with microporous
            polyurethane coating is seam-sealed for complete protection
            Inside of fabric features unique topo-map design; Copyright (c) 2002
            REI, all rights reserved
            Fully adjustable, zip-off brimmed hood stores inside collar; when you
            zip off the hood the neck flap covers the zipper for a clean look
            Microfleece-lined collar provides added comfort
            Underarm zippers allow adjustable ventilation
            Chest pocket with water-resistant zipper holds essentials
            Two zip handwarmer pockets give added storage space
            Elastic-drawcord hem and elastic cuffs with adjustment tabs help seal
            out the elements
            Double-layer front placket keeps wet weather and wind from
            penetrating; hook and loop closures secure placket
            Includes a 4 x 9 inch stuff sack

            <<IMAGE 1 >>

            My description is as follows:
            The outer nylon fabric has a ripstop pattern square pattern to it.
            It has the typical nylon feel to it. There is a polyurethane membrane
            on the inside with a distinct topographical-map design. Every zipper
            except for the one on the hood has a rubber tab on it to make zipping
            easier. The breast pocket has a heavy duty water-resistant zipper.
            The hood has a 6 inch stiffened brim at the peak. There is a
            drawstring (to pull the hood back from the face) and goggle holder
            strap on the back. It can be removed via a built in zipper or tucked
            away into the collar.
            The full length front YKK zippers can be unzipped from the top or
            bottom. For wind, there is a full length flap that can be secured by
            small islands of hook and loop patches.
            The pockets are meshed lined and close with zippers. There are
            flaps for protection from the rain. In the pockets are the ends of the
            waist drawstring.

            FIELD USE

            I have used this jacket for just over a year under typical conditions
            associated with snowshoeing, hiking, backpacking and as street wear. I
            usually hike in mountainous terrain and high elevation 6000 - 8000 ft
            (1800 – 2400 m) ASL. The Sierra Nevada can range from the upper 90s F
            (30 C) to below freezing. I bought this jacket because my previous,
            GORE-TEX based jacket had been washed so many times and lost its
            coating, it seemed to absorb more water than shed. I wanted something
            that was light weight and could take more than a few washes. I bought
            the "lizard" (olive green) version, though it comes in other colors as
            well. I wear a small North Face Denali fleece, but I bought a large
            jacket. That way, I can layer without being too constrained.

            If I'm just wearing the jacket and a short sleeve shirt, the
            polyurethane coating might not be the best feeling fabric against my
[...]

            diameter needed. Fortunately, the cuffs have adjustable hook-and-loop
            straps. A nice little touch is that the straps are stiffened, making
            it easier to grab when my hands are gloved. The edges of the straps
            have frayed a bit from use.

            <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "A bit of
            fray on the sleeve">>

            I would say my arm length is slightly longer than average, which is
            great for rock climbing, but not so much when trying to find clothing
            that covers my wrists. Either it's because I bought a large or REI
            makes their sleeves longer than usual, but I found them to be ample.
            The converse problem, the sleeves being too long and covering my
            hands, is avoided because of the elastic in the sleeves.

            One of the improvements that could be made is integrating the small
            stuff pouch. I've already lost mine many times; I doubt I am the
            exception. Small circles of hook-and-loop straps are used to keep the
            zipper flap in front closed. The type of Velcro is really sticky to
            just about everything except for the microfleece, which is a good
            thing! A continuous line of Velcro would probably do a better job at
            keeping water and wind out. Having waterproof zippers like the one
            on the front pouch for all the zippers would be icing on the cake.

            <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Front pocket
            zipper">>

            I keep the underarm vents closed most of the time, which means the
            zipper tab is now dangling around my elbow. Reversing the zipper
            would be an easy fix to this minor problem. My final qualm with this
            jacket is the fit of the neck collar. When it gets cold, I like to
            wear a neck gaiter. However, this coupled with the bulk from the
            fleece, makes it very difficult to zip the jacket all the way up
            without strangling myself.

            Overall, I am very happy with the performance of this jacket. In
            addition to surviving downpours and high winds, the REI Ultra Light
            Jacket hasn't lost its water shedding abilities after numerous washes.
            If only I knew where I put the stuff sack…

            SUMMARY

            Overall, I am very happy with the performance of this jacket. In
            addition to surviving downpours and high winds, the REI Ultra Light
            Jacket hasn't lost its water shedding abilities after numerous washes.
            If only I knew where I put the stuff sack…

            SIGNATURE

            Samson Phan

            Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
            <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > Hi Samson,
            >
            > I know that Roger was helping you on this the first time you
            > submitted it, but he is gone for a while so I will take it this time.
            > One thing that he said in his last edit still needs to be done. This
            > is the product description. As he said, it is OK to use the points
            > from the site if you want but it still needs a description from you.
            > Look through some reports from veteran members to see what we are
            > talking about. Here is one of mine; http://tinyurl.com/33bdhb
            >
            > When you make the changes please repost here. You can also put the
            > HTML version in the test folder. As this is your second review we
            > would like to see you put at least one photo in it too. (It will be
            > mandatory in test reports.)
            >
            > Ray
            >

            > ***Weight as delivered (for a large size): 14 oz (397 g)
            >
            > EDIT: you need the listed weight also, available on the web site
            > EDIT: you need the MSRP, available on the web site
            >

            > *** and as streetwear.
            >
            > EDIT street wear
            >

            > ***I bought this jacket because my previous, Goretex based jacket
            >
            > EDIT: they spell it GORE-TEX
            >

            > ***If I'm just wearing the jacket and a short sleeve shirt, the
            > plastic material might not be the best feeling fabric against my skin.
            >
            > EDIT: what plastic material? Do you mean the polyurethane coating?
            >

            > ***For those who layer and wear long sleeves, this is probably a moot
            > point.
            >
            > EDIT: this is projection. You need to keep it about yourself.
            >

            > ***I am a great fan of its watershedding abilities.
            >
            > EDIT: water shedding
            >

            > ***the waist drawstrings go into the handwarming pockets,
            >
            > EDIT: hand-warming
            >

            > ***Fortunately, the cuffs have adjustable Velcro straps.
            >
            > EDIT: as REI does not say that they are Velcro brand, you should call
            > them "hook-and-loop straps" instead
            >

            > ***Small circles of Velcro are used to keep the zipper flap in
            > front closed. The type of Velcro is really sticky
            >
            > EDIT: same thing

          • rayestrella1
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 12, 2007
              Hi Samson,

              Yeah the Report Writer really is a nice tool for HTML challenged
              people like myself. Your review looks good. I see just a couple of
              things. After you fix them, check it out to make sure it looks good
              in the test folder. Then you can upload it to its final home here:

              http://tinyurl.com/2cenep

              When uploading your Owner Review, please ensure you select the button
              marked Owner Review.

              As this is your second approved review, if you have submitted a Tester
              Agreement, for which see:

              http://tinyurl.com/24sc4q

              that has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate in
              the testing process by applying for tests. If you have not sent your
              paperwork in, please do so at your earliest opportunity.

              For further details see

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

              You will also need to join:

              This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

              However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner
              Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing and this
              won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

              Congratulations!

              Raymond Estrella

              ***LOCATION: Stanford, CA , USA

              EDIT: sorry I did not notice this before, but the state needs to be
              spelled out for the benefit of our international readers

              EDIT: it looks like the picture is from REI's website. This is OK,
              but you need to credit them for it. You can add a caption in the
              Report Writer and put "Picture courtesy of REI"