REPOST - Owner Review - Men's Chaco Z/1 Sandals

  • Anson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
      Here goes it again after some help from those more knowledgeable than I.

      CHACO MEN'S Z/1 COLORADO SANDALS
      Owner Review by Anson Moxness
      July 1, 2007

      Age: 18
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'9" (1.75 m)
      Weight: 145 lbs (66 kg)
      E-mail: anson dot Moxness at gmail dot com
      Location: Anchorage, Alaska US
      Backpacking Background:
      I have been a backpacker for my entire life. Most of my experience
      backpacking has been in the Chugach Mountains outside of Anchorage. I
      am experimenting in a more lightweight approach to backpacking and
      hopefully I will end up with around a 15 lb (6.8 kg) pack for shorter
      (2-4 day) trips. I try to seek out the most rugged terrain possible;
      in the Chugach that I steeper rocky terrain with some snowfield and
      glacier crossing. I mostly hike in the summer months but I do have
      experience in cold weather conditions.

      Product Information:
      Model: Chaco Men's Z/1 Colorado Sandal
      Manufacturer: Chaco, Inc.
      Year: 2005
      Size Tested: Men's 8 Medium Width
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Actual Weight: 26 oz (740 g) (per pair)
      MSRP: $90 US

      These sandals featured the Vibram™ Colorado sole, which was designed
      for normal walking conditions in a variety of wet and dry conditions.
      It has minimal tread for decreased weight. The other sole option was
      the Vibram™ Terrano Sole, which is more of a traditional hiking boot
      sole. Chacos now come with a Vibram™ Uniweep or a Diamond Sheath sole.
      The Uniweep sole is a combination of the lighter weight Colorado Sole
      and the traction of the Terrano sole and the Diamond Sheath sole is a
      very low profile grippy sole made specifically for water use. The 25
      mm (15/16th in) wide strap is a continuous loop, which can be pulled
      through with a loop covering the ball of the foot and then over the
      top of the arch and then around the bottom of the ankle. The placement
      of the loops provides a sturdy hold and customizable fit. The base of
      the Chaco is made of a molded "Biocentric™" arch platform that
      provides support for medium to high arches.

      Field Information:
      I tested these sandals in almost every condition available in and
      around Anchorage, Alaska. Mostly I used these sandals for everyday
      footwear, but they were also an essential part of my backpacking
      arsenal. I first bought these Z/1's because I had worn out an older
      pair of sandals from another manufacturer. During the Chaco's first
      hiking trips they were simply used as a river crossing tool (hence
      getting the lower profile river sole), but after a few trips they
      turned into my camp shoes as well. I also chose the Colorado sole
      because it was more lightweight than the Terrano sole and I probably
      wouldn't need the extra traction of the aggressive sole in my
      day-to-day use. On shorter (2-3 day) hikes over well established
      trails and a light pack (< 20 lbs, < 9 kg) I began to leave my hiking
      boots at home and use my Z/1's as my only footwear. I would only use
      sandals over hiking boots when the weather was warmer and there was a
      low risk of precipitation, and the trail was mostly dry so I not need
      to worry about getting my feet wet. Needless to say, my Chacos have
      gotten their fair share of (ab)use over the years— everything from -10
      F (-23 C) snowstorms (with wools socks of course) to 90 F (32 C) rock
      jumping on the Hawaiian coast.

      Review:
      I wear these sandals everyday, and I can honestly say they are the
      most comfortable pair of shoes that have ever been placed on my feet.
      I purchased the Z/1 design over the Z/2 with toe strap because while
      I would have liked to have a little more traction, the ease of use
      with wools socks (a necessity for 75% of an Alaskan year) and the
      wider strap overruled the toe strap. I am very happy with the wider
      strap because I feel it is a little more supportive and fits my foot
      tighter when I cinch it down. When hiking on wet and otherwise
      slippery surfaces, such as wet tundra, rocks, and steeper slopes, I
      often wish I would have gone for the more aggressive Terreno soles,
      but overall the weight savings is well worth it for most of my uses
      (see above in Field Conditions). These have been very durable sandals
      that don't give in no matter how much I punish them. A large part of
      that is the very supportive hard rubber sandal bed; this offers more
      arch support than any other sandal I have ever worn.

      Overall the design of these sandals is second to none of those I've
      used. The most impressive feature is the continuous strap, which
      (after a little inspection of the strap route) is fairly easy to
      adjust. However, I have kept the strap in the same position for
      extended periods of time and the sandal body has put enough pressure
      to wear part way through the outer sheath of the strap. I also have
      had a problem with strap wear in the heel area. While this is a
      problem, Chaco can reweb and resole all of their sandals. So after
      some wear and tear on the rubber sole, Chaco can put a brand new
      bottom put on, but beware, don't wait too long. I have worn down the
      heel so much that I have worn into the harder rubber, making it no
      longer possible to resole them (a flat surface is need according to
      the Chaco rep). To have Chaco Sandals repaired they must be sent to
      the Chaco factory in Paonia, Colorado ($7 US for shipping from within
      the US, $9 US for international). The cost of a resole ranges from $36
      to $42 US depending on the sole and the cost of a complete reweb is
      $20 US for one sandal and $36 US for two. Chaco can also do other
      repairs on their sandals (see the Chaco website). I have a problem
      with the sole becoming unglued where the strap goes under the footbed,
      but the Chaco rep I talked to said that that has been fixed in the
      newest crop of sandals. This problem really hasn't degraded the
      performance of my Chacos at all.

      I wholeheartedly recommend these sandals for anyone who wants good
      arch support and an adjustable strap tension system. I recommend
      trying these sandals on before buying them; I have heard of a few
      people who don't like the strap positioning because it hits the side
      of their foot oddly.

      To rehash: the great things about these sandals are: durability, great
      support, ability of individualize the fit through the continuous
      strap. Things not so good: strap wear after many years of abuse (can
      be fixed with a quick trip to Dr. Chaco) and fit around oddly shaped
      feet. These are a high quality set of sandals that can last forever
      (if maintained with rewebbings and resolings) and are sturdy enough
      for actual hiking with a lighter pack and on well established trails,
      look no further than the Z/1's. And another plus, they give some
      wicked sweet tan lines.
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
        Thank you, Anson. This looks much, much better. I appreciate the hard
        work. Please upload in HTML form to the test folder at

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/

        You will need to log in (or register, if you have not done so) first.
        Please let me know on this list when you have done so (this is
        important--I don't monitor the folder). I'll check it one more time
        and issue approval, along with any necessary edits. I don't see
        anything at present.

        Best,

        Ted.

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Anson" <ak_xcskier@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > I wholeheartedly recommend these sandals for anyone who wants good
        > arch support and an adjustable strap tension system. I recommend
        > trying these sandals on before buying them; I have heard of a few
        > people who don't like the strap positioning because it hits the side
        > of their foot oddly.
        >
        > To rehash: the great things about these sandals are: durability, great
        > support, ability of individualize the fit through the continuous
        > strap. Things not so good: strap wear after many years of abuse (can
        > be fixed with a quick trip to Dr. Chaco) and fit around oddly shaped
        > feet. These are a high quality set of sandals that can last forever
        > (if maintained with rewebbings and resolings) and are sturdy enough
        > for actual hiking with a lighter pack and on well established trails,
        > look no further than the Z/1's. And another plus, they give some

      • Anson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
          Alright, it's up with a picture included as well.

          Thanks
          Anson

          <erd@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > I wholeheartedly recommend these sandals for anyone who wants good
          > > arch support and an adjustable strap tension system. I recommend
          > > trying these sandals on before buying them; I have heard of a few
          > > people who don't like the strap positioning because it hits the side
          > > of their foot oddly.
          > >
          > > To rehash: the great things about these sandals are: durability, great
          > > support, ability of individualize the fit through the continuous
          > > strap. Things not so good: strap wear after many years of abuse (can
          > > be fixed with a quick trip to Dr. Chaco) and fit around oddly shaped
          > > feet. These are a high quality set of sandals that can last forever
          > > (if maintained with rewebbings and resolings) and are sturdy enough
          > > for actual hiking with a lighter pack and on well established trails,
          > > look no further than the Z/1's. And another plus, they give some

        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2007
            Hi Anson,

            Please post a link to your test version for your editor. It makes
            their job soooooo much easier.

            Jamie D
            Edit Admin Manager

            wrote:

            > Alright, it's up with a picture included as well.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Anson

          • edwardripleyduggan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2007
              Hello Anson,

              I've looked over the review. A few small things.

              1. The Chaco link is broken. The current code is

              [a href="www.chacousa.com"]

              I've substituted square brackets for angle brackets so Yahoo doesn't
              obscure this. Should be

              [a href="http://www.chacousa.com"]

              2. The Field Information terminates abruptly, with a bracket.

              3. Re-reading the product description, you have loads on the sole
              options, but nothing on the construction of the sandal itself, other
              than the path of the loop. A short paragraph or so (in your own
              words)explaining the construction would be appreciated. Sorry not to
              pick up on this sooner.

              Please repost a corrected version (with a link, ideally, and you'll be
              ready to upload.

            • Anson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 10, 2007
                Ted,
                I fixed the link and the rogue bracket I missed. I also added some
                info in the product description and changed around the structure to
                make it two paragraphs (one about the sole and one about the strap and
                footbed). The updated review is at
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Z1%20Chaco%20Sandals%20-%20Anson%20Moxness/

                Thanks for your help
                Anson

                <erd@...> wrote:

                > Hello Anson,
                >
                > I've looked over the review. A few small things.
                >
                > 1. The Chaco link is broken. The current code is
                >
                > [a href="www.chacousa.com"]
                >
                > I've substituted square brackets for angle brackets so Yahoo doesn't
                > obscure this. Should be
                >
                > [a href="http://www.chacousa.com"]
                >
                > 2. The Field Information terminates abruptly, with a bracket.
                >
                > 3. Re-reading the product description, you have loads on the sole
                > options, but nothing on the construction of the sandal itself, other
                > than the path of the loop. A short paragraph or so (in your own
                > words)explaining the construction would be appreciated. Sorry not to
                > pick up on this sooner.
                >
                > Please repost a corrected version (with a link, ideally, and you'll be
                > ready to upload.
                >
                > Best,
                >
                > Ted.
                >

                > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Anson" <ak_xcskier@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Alright, it's up with a picture included as well.
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > > Anson
                > >
                > > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan"
                > > <erd@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Thank you, Anson. This looks much, much better. I appreciate the
                hard
                > > > work. Please upload in HTML form to the test folder at
                > > >
                > > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/
                > > >
                > > > You will need to log in (or register, if you have not done so)
                first.
                > > > Please let me know on this list when you have done so (this is
                > > > important--I don't monitor the folder). I'll check it one more time
                > > > and issue approval, along with any necessary edits. I don't see
                > > > anything at present.
                > > >
                > > > Best,
                > > >

                > > > Ted.
                > > >

                > > > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Anson" <ak_xcskier@>

                > > than I.

                > Anchorage. I
                > shorter

                > conditions.
                > sole.
                > Sole
                > is a
                The 25
                > placement
                > base of

                > hiking
                > only use
                > was a
                > need
                Chacos have
                > from -10
                > rock

                > feet.
                > while
                > sandals

                I've
                > within
                > from $36
                > footbed,

                > great
                > trails,

              • edwardripleyduggan
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 11, 2007
                  Hello Anson,

                  Looks good. Please upload to

                  http://tinyurl.com/3ccrhj

                  which is

                  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Sandals/Chaco%20Z1%20Sandal

                  Do remember to check the "Owner Review" radio button.

                  Congratulations on your first BGT Owner review!