REVISED - OWNER REVIEW - MSR Superfly Stove

  • tagnanidavid
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2007
      Sorry for reposting this . . . I revised based on the edits I saw on
      other reviews. Hope this saves time in the long run.

      Thanks,
      Dave

      MSR Superfly Stove

      Name: Dave Tagnani
      Age: 31
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 10" (1.77 m)
      Weight: 160 lbs. (73 kg)
      Email address: dtagnani@...
      City, State, Country: Spokane, Washington, U.S.
      Date: June 26, 2007

      Backpacking Background: I have been camping and hiking for as long as
      I can remember, but I've really only been backpacking for eight years
      or so. I started off in the hills of northeastern and central
      Pennsylvania, have hiked trails from Maine to Georgia, and now I am
      exploring the incredible terrain of the inland northwest. I seldom do
      trips longer than three days, with most trips being overnighters. I do
      not own crampons, an ice axe, or a climbing harness, so if the route
      is technical enough to require them, you won't find me there. I simply
      like to walk in the woods.

      Product Info:

      Manufacturer: MSR (Mountain Safety Research)
      Year of Manufacture: 2003
      Listed weight: 4.6 oz (131 grams)
      Weight as delivered: 4.9 oz (139 grams)
      Length: 3 ½"(8.9 cm)
      Width: 4 ¾" (12.1 cm)
      MSRP: $49.99 US
      Fuel: canister fuel (butane, isobutane, blends, etc.)
      Boil Time: 3 min. (according to manufacturer)
      Boil Capacity: 3.99 gallons (15.1 L) per 8oz. (227 g) canister
      (according to manufacturer)

      The Superfly comes with a nylon storage bag with a draw-string
      closure. The bag is big enough to also hold an 8oz. (227 g) fuel
      canister, and it is tough enough that it has survived years of use
      without a tear.

      The Superfly is tiny, easily fitting into the palm of my hand (see
      dimensions above). It has only three moving parts: the pot supports,
      which collapse for storage; the multi-mount grabber, which screws onto
      the fuel canister; and the flame adjuster, which collapses for storage
      and of course rotates to adjust fuel flow.

      I have used this stove exclusively for all of my backpacking trips
      over the past 4 years. Elevation has ranged from about 800' (244 m) up
      to 4800' (1463m). The terrain has been varied: beaches, mountains,
      dense deciduous forests, sparse coniferous forests, temperate rain
      forest, and high desert. The coldest temperature I have attempted to
      use this stove in is 36 F (2 C). Besides varying boil times based on
      temperature, the Superfly performs consistently.

      MSR suggests MSR IsoPro fuel (of course), but most canister butane or
      butane blend works. I've used them all over the years and haven't
      noticed any major difference in the performance of the Superfly.
      Recently, I've been using SnowPeak canisters and they work fine. I
      just purchase whatever is cheapest, so long as it is a good quality
      isobutane blend.

      The two main things that affect the functionality of this stove are
      temperature and wind. I'll assume temperature needs no elaboration.
      But wind has a big impact because not only does the Superfly not come
      with a windscreen, MSR says that you should not use one. I don't like
      to take chances when working with compressed flammable gas, so no
      windscreen. This leaves the stove exposed to the wind, and a good
      breeze can increase boiling times significantly. The most I do is try
      to shield it a bit behind a log, stump, rock, etc. But this is only
      minimally effective. In optimal conditions, MSR's stated boiling time
      is pretty accurate. I can boil two cups of water is three and a half
      minutes in warm temperatures with no wind.

      The best thing about the Superfly is its versatility. It is the
      second-lightest stove that MSR makes (the Pocket Rocket is lighter),
      but for an extra ounce, you get a much larger burner that is more
      effective at evenly heating larger pots/pans. The flame is highly
      adjustable, anywhere from a simmer to full-blown boil. And with the
      larger burner, frying bacon and eggs in a pan is doable. And of course
      the big advantage of canister stoves over liquid-fuel stoves—besides
      the weight—is that there is no pumping, priming, etc. Simply screw it
      on and light it. I could have it set up and ready to go in 10 seconds.

      Besides susceptibility to windy conditions, the only other concern
      with the Superfly is stability. This is the trade off for such a light
      weight. Since it uses the canister as a base, there is a 4 ¼ " base
      for a pot of water that might be sitting 12" off of the ground. On a
      picnic table, this is not a problem. But if I'm near a picnic table, I
      probably don't need this stove. Out in the woods, it pays to take a
      few moments to prepare a reasonably level, sturdy surface to avoid
      spills: find a flat rock, shim it with other rocks, etc.

      Over the past four years of backpacking and cooking with the Superfly,
      I have only run into one problem: the "multi-mount grabber" stripped.
      There are two aluminum tabs under the grabber that hook onto the lip
      of the canister. One year after my initial purchase, these tabs
      developed slight bends that prevented them from grabbing the lip of
      the canister securely. Luckily, the retailer exchanged it for a new
      one. I have not had a repeat of the same problem, so I'm beginning to
      think it may have been user error. Perhaps I was trying to tighten it
      too far? Maybe I was not ensuring solid contact before tightening it?
      I don't know. Anyway, the new stove performed perfectly and there are
      no hints of stripping even after three years of moderately heavy use.

      Conclusion:

      All in all, this stove is an excellent choice for most trips. It is
      not perfect, but it is perfect for my purposes: extended weekend trips
      in less-than-extreme conditions. It makes trade-offs to save weight
      and space, but isn't everything a trade off?

      Pros:
      Lightweight
      Powerful
      Durable/dependable
      Adjustable flame

      Cons:
      Boil times/fuel consumption can vary significantly
      Susceptible to wind
      Be gentle with the tabs on the mount
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2007
        Hi Dave,

        Welcome to BackpackGearTest and thank you for your owner review.
        Thanks also for taking the initiative to revise it yourself. You have
        done a very good job. Your initial edits will follow. They will take
        the following format;

        EDIT: must be changed

        When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
        to the subject line. Include your name also please.

        You can also put a HTML copy of the corrected version in the Owner
        Review Test Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on
        the main page or here;

        http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

        Let me know when it is there with a link or file name please.

        The free BGT Report Writer for HTML creation may be found here;

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1

        support group,

        BGTFileUploadHelp @

        EDIT: it needs to say Owner Review somewhere under the title.

        ***Weight: 160 lbs. (73 kg)

        EDIT: no period after "lbs" and they prefer it to be abbreviated
        as "lb"

        ***MSRP: $49.99 US

        EDIT: I see it on the site as $49.95

        ***Boil Capacity: 3.99 gallons (15.1 L) per 8oz. (227 g) canister

        EDIT: need a space after the 8

        ***The bag is big enough to also hold an 8oz. (227 g) fuel canister

        EDIT: same thing 8 oz

        ***I can boil two cups of water is three and a half minutes

        EDIT: need metric conversion for two cups

        ***but for an extra ounce, you get a much larger burner that is more
        effective at evenly heating larger pots/pans.

        EDIT: we try to avoid using the words "you" and "your" in our reviews
        and reports so as to avoid projection, instead keeping it in the
        first person by using "I" and "me" etc. Maybe something like, "but
        for an extra ounce, I got a much larger burner…"

        ***I could have it set up and ready to go in 10 seconds.

        Edit: as you still use it it should be, I "can" have it…

        ***there is a 4 ¼ " base for a pot of water that might be sitting 12"
        off of the ground.

        EDIT: metric conversions please