Edit/Approval: OWNER REVIEW Wild Things Alpinist Bibs - R Lyon

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2007
      Hi Richard,

      Another fine looking review. Just a couple of things and you are good
      to upload to here;

      http://tinyurl.com/24u4dt

      One question for you. And you do not need to amend the review, just
      more a personal question although it could be of interest to readers.
      How do you feel the eVent fabric would do in a mountaineering
      scenario? Would it hold up to glissading or the possible fall and
      arrest? I do not really care for the breathabilty of my 3-layer
      GoreTex shells.

      Ray

      ***As a tall man I often must accept a super-sized waist to get the
      trouser length I need,

      Comment: my biggest beef with hiking clothes. Why no Tall sizes?

      *** By now the reader should realize that I really like just about
      everything about the Bibs

      Edit: this is awfully close to projection.

      ***But they are well worth the money for anyone exposed to ice and
      snow.

      EDIT: this is projection. You don't know what the reader
      considers "worth the money".
    • richardglyon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2007
        Ray,
        Thanks for the quick turnaround, which allowed me to revise and
        upload before leaving for the mountains. Both edits addressed.
        To answer your question, I definitely think eVENT will hold up to
        real mountaineering use. Most of my skiing, even inbounds, involves
        hiking and traversing and going through the trees and there's not
        even a scratch on these Bibs after a full season. (I recall a
        picture of you and Jenn at Alta, so you probably know what I mean.)
        This fabric just feels more substantial than EPIC, though it's
        clearly not as bulky as Gore-Tex. Wild Things makes pretty tough
        stuff; it got its start serving mountaineers and it still has some
        speciality gear for them, such as Spectra packs.
        As for Tall sizes I find it baffling that no one features them.
        After all the target market is fit people, not standard-size couch
        potatoes. Patagonia and Cloudveil offer waders in Tall sizes and
        Filson has Tall shirts, but I haven't found much else.
        Regards, Richard