OR - Osprey Talon 22 - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2007
      Here is number two, the best daypack I have ever used. The HTML may
      be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/2tp4f7

      Osprey Talon 22 Backpack
      By Raymond Estrella
      OR
      June 07, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrella@...
      AGE: 46
      LOCATION: Huntington Beach California USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and
      in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my brother-in-law Dave or fiancée Jenn.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: Osprey Packs Inc
      Web site: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.ospreypacks.com" LINK
      TEXT = "www.ospreypacks.com">>
      Product: Talon 22
      Size: Medium/Large (also available in Small/Medium)
      Year manufactured: 2007
      MSRP: N/A
      Weight listed: 1 lb 11 oz (0.77 kg) Actual weight 1 lb 11.9 oz (0.79
      kg)
      Volume: 1300 cu in (22 l)
      Load weight capacity suggested: up to 20 lb (9.1 kg)
      Color: Moonlight Blue (also available in Acid Green and Spicy Chili)
      Warranty: (from company web site), "Our lifetime warranty covers
      defects in materials and craftsmanship for the lifetime of the
      backpack. Products found to be defective will be repaired or replaced
      at the discretion of our Warranty Department."

      Product Description

      The Osprey Talon 22 pack (hereafter referred to as the Talon or pack)
      is a blue panel-loading pack that the manufacturer say is "Designed
      for the fast, adventure oriented enthusiast". I like to think I fit
      their target audience.

      The blue sections of the pack are made of 70 x 100 denier "shadow
      check" (rip-stop) nylon. The grey areas are made from heavier 160 x
      330 denier "shadow check" nylon. Although I can find no reference to
      it in the attached owner's manual or the web site, the fabrics feel
      as if they have a polyurethane coating applied to the inside surface.
      It is tacky feeling inside the body. There are appliqués of raptor
      talons on either side of the front of the pack giving the series
      their name, as can be seen above.

      The pack consists of a single panel or front loading sack. There are
      no dividers inside of it. It is accessed by way of a double-pulled
      zipper that curves around the upper portion of the pack.. The zippers
      have very nice finger pulls on them. (The same pulls are on all the
      zippers on the pack. A slash pocket made of mesh is at the top of the
      pack and is accessed by a separate zipper above the main one. Inside
      of this pocket is a key fob.

      On the front of the pack is a pocket made of "stretch woven material
      with Lycra". This pocket is open at the top and secures with a
      centered fast-disconnect buckle, it hides beneath a shingled cover
      with the Osprey logo on it. The same stretch material is used for the
      side pockets, found under the compression straps. The face of the
      pack has a tow-loop centered at the bottom under the "Talon 22" name.
      A blinker patch is cut into it above the Osprey appliqué.

      A single compression strap runs in a V-configuration on each side of
      the pack at the lower section. There are no straps for the upper
      portion of the pack. One bungee tool tie-off is situated on the upper
      right side (when worn) but there is no corresponding lower tool loop.
      Here is a shot of the side of the Talon.

      The Talon does not have stays for support but rather utilizes a "mesh
      covered HDPE ridge molded foam backpanel with integrated air
      channels". The air channels run horizontally and are spaced about a
      half inch (13 mm) apart. The mesh is only attached at the outside
      edge of the frame sheet and floats away from it when the pack is off.
      Here is a picture of the back.

      The shoulder straps are made of mesh covered foam that has slots cut
      out of it to reduce weight. On each shoulder strap are two elastic
      loops to act as hydration tube guides, and one stretch material
      pocket sized to fit energy gel packets. Each shoulder strap has the
      normal adjustment straps at top going to the pack to pull it close to
      the back, and at the bottom going to the hip belt. A three position
      sternum strap crosses the shoulder harness and closes with a quick-
      connector that doubles as a whistle.

      The hip belt is constructed the same way as the shoulder harness. It
      has the normal Osprey "V" type routing of the adjustment strap. By
      pulling the straps towards the center, instead of away, it tightens
      the belt. Something new to me on both the hip belt and shoulder pads
      are D-ring keepers that keep the excess strap from dangling down, or
      flapping around.

      Each side of the hip belt sports a decent sized pocket. The body of
      the pockets are stretch mesh, while the top is the shadow-check
      nylon. A zipper with the fore mentioned nice sized finger pull
      accesses them.

      Field Conditions

      Here are some of the trips I have used the Talon on since March of
      2007.

      30 mile (48 km) fastpack on the Pacific Coast Trail (PCT) from Big
      Bear California (CA) south. Temps were from 35 to 70 F (2 to 21 C)
      Elevations were to 8700' (2652 m) with a total gain of 4750' (1448 m)
      for the day. Starting pack weight was 12 lb (5.4 kg).

      25.5 mile (41 km) fastpack on the Pacific Coast Trail (PCT) from Lake
      Arrowhead to Big Bear, CA. Temps were from 23 to 50 F (-5 to 10 C)
      Elevations were to 8000' (2438 m) with a total gain of 3000' (914 m)
      for the day. Starting pack weight was 16 lb (7.3 kg) it had snowed 3
      in (7.5 cm) the day before and half the hike was in snow.

      30 mile (48 km) trip on the PCT across the Santa Rosa mountains and
      into the San Jacinto mountains to Idyllwild CA. Temps ranged from 35
      F to 60 F ( 2 to 16 C) and back down to 35 F when a storm hit us.
      Elevations from 5000' to 8000' (1524 to 2438 m) but a lot of up and
      down. Starting weight of 19 lb (8.6 kg).

      36.4 mile (59 km) fastpack from west of Silverwood Lake to the Deep
      Creek bridge, and back to Arrowhead Lake via the North Shore Trail.
      Very up-and-down trail with 7800' (2377 m) of gain, and temps up to
      91 F (33 C). Starting pack weight of 16 lb (7.3 kg).

      Two consecutive climbs of Mount San Gorgonio (11500'/3505 m), one by
      way of the Vivian Creek trail, an 18 mile (29 km) brutally steep
      climb with 5400' (1646 m) of gain. The next week was the Sky High
      Trail, a 26.2 mile (42 km) jaunt with only 5000' (1524 m) of gain.
      Pack weight was about 15 lb (6.8 kg) for both of them as I was
      carrying a lot of liquid.

      22 mile (35 km) climb of Mount San Jacinto and surrounding areas by
      way of Devil's Slide Trail with 6000' (1829 m) of total elevation
      gain. Very cold day with temps in the high 30's F (3 C) for much of
      it. I started off with a heavy 16 lb (7.3 kg) pack weight that did
      not change a lot as I did not drink much because of the cold temps.
      Here is a picture crossing a creek near the Mohave Reservoir.

      Observations

      I got a Talon 33 in February of 2007. I have been a fan of Osprey
      packs for about 4 years and have owned two (now three) others. My
      regular hiking partners Dave and (fiancée) Jenn each have one of
      their packs too. The comfort of the pack belied its weight. But I
      found that I did not need all the room of it so I got the Talon 22
      three weeks later, and loved it more! This is my favorite day pack
      ever.

      The hip belt is its strongest attribute. It is very comfortable. I am
      trying to keep a 3.5 mph (5.6 km/h) pace and have not experienced any
      discomfort from the slamming such a pace can bring on. It stays
      adjusted well too. No constant re-tightening needed. And I like the
      pockets on the belt too. I keep my sun block/lip balm and whistle and
      thumb-light in one and snacks and a few hard candies in the other. I
      still carry my whistle as the one on the sternum strap is nowhere
      near as loud as my regular one. Safety first…

      The shoulder pads are better than all but one pack I have used in the
      lightweight category. I find them very comfortable. I like the
      hydration tube loops, but do wish there was a non-elastic loop on the
      shoulder strap also as my knife will not stay put on the stretchy
      loop of the Talon.

      As with all of their packs in my experience, this one excels at load
      compression. The side straps work great to get the sag out of the
      bag! But they do one other thing that drives me nuts, and is my only
      real complaint. They go across the side pockets making it almost
      impossible to easily access the pocket, especially for a water
      bottle. I wish that they would run the strap though a "button-hole"
      in the pocket that would allow pack body compression while still
      leaving the pocket completely usable.

      I really like the hydration compartment between the pack and the
      backpanel. It makes it so much easier to get to for refilling than
      digging into the pack. And the hook at the top keeps my bladders from
      sliding down to the bottom as they are depleted. Here is a shot
      getting a drink on the top of San Gorgonio. (And no, the matching
      shirt did not come with the pack. That was a present from my hiker
      girl who was tired of the green one.)

      The back pocket works very well to keep rain gear or (what I use it
      for most) my hat and/or wind shirt. When Jenn or Dave and I hike
      together I keep the maps there too so they can grab them when they
      want to. (I of course don't need them. I am a manly man, I don't need
      directions…)

      The air channels seem to make a difference. While I still sweat with
      it on my back does not get nearly as hot as with some of my other
      packs. The same is true of the slotted shoulder straps. While I was
      worried that they may fall apart quickly that has not proven to be
      the case and I am carrying more starting weight and going farther
      faster and harder than ever in my life as can be seen by the field
      data above.

      I really wish that Osprey had included a tool loop below the bungee
      tie-off. In fact I wish that it was centered more also. While this
      pack will not go out in winter (the Talon 33 is going to be taking
      over that duty, stay tuned for the review) I still like to be able to
      tie off my trekking poles when the climbing gets dicey enough to need
      two hands available.

      So other than that and the side compression straps going over the
      pockets I can find nothing negative to say about this sweet pack. By
      the end of this year it should have at least a couple hundred more
      miles (320 km) under its hip belt. I really think that Osprey has a
      winner with this pack and the whole series from what I can tell from
      my two examples. Here is a shot going through a rock field south of
      Big Bear, California on the PCT.

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 18, 2007
          Here you go, Ray. Nothing much in the way of edits.

          > It is tacky feeling inside the body. There are appliqués of raptor
          > talons on either side of the front of the pack giving the series
          > their

          ### EDIT: its

          name, as can be seen above.

          > The pack consists of a single panel or front loading sack. There are
          > no dividers inside of

          ### EDIT: delete "of"

          it. It is accessed by way of a double-pulled
          > zipper that curves around the upper portion of the pack..

          ### EDIT: Extra period here

          > Each side of the hip belt sports a decent sized pocket. The body of
          > the pockets are stretch mesh, while the top is the shadow-check
          > nylon. A zipper with the fore mentioned

          ### EDIT: forementioned [according to OED]

          nice sized finger pull
          > accesses them.
          >

          > 22 mile (35 km) climb of Mount San Jacinto and surrounding areas by
          > way of Devil's Slide Trail with 6000' (1829 m) of total elevation
          > gain. Very cold day with temps in the high 30's F (3 C) for much of
          > it. I started off with a heavy 16 lb (7.3 kg) pack weight that did
          > not change a lot as I did not drink much because of the cold temps.
          > Here is a picture crossing a creek near the Mohave Reservoir.
          >

          > Observations
          >
          > I got a Talon 33 in February of 2007. I have been a fan of Osprey
          > packs for about 4 years and have owned two (now three) others. My
          > regular hiking partners Dave and (fiancée) Jenn each have one of
          > their packs too. The comfort of the pack belied

          ### EDIT: belies

          its weight. But I
          > found that I did not need all the room of it so I got the Talon 22
          > three weeks later, and loved it more! This is my favorite day pack
          > ever.
          >
          > ! But they do one other thing that drives me nuts, and is my only
          > real complaint. They go across the side pockets making it almost
          > impossible to easily access the pocket, especially for a water
          > bottle. I wish that they would run the strap though a "button-hole"
          > in the pocket that would allow pack body compression while still
          > leaving the pocket completely usable.

          ### COMMENT: Why do pack designers do this? The GG Vapor Trail etc.
          have the same issue. One of life's little mysteries.

          > I really wish that Osprey had included a tool loop below the bungee
          > tie-off. In fact I wish that it was centered more also. While this
          > pack will not go out in winter (the Talon 33 is going to be taking
          > over that duty, stay tuned for the review) I still like to be able to
          > tie off my trekking poles when the climbing gets dicey enough to need
          > two hands available.

          ### COMMENT: Yeah, a must. I second that with feeling.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 18, 2007
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan" <erd@...>
            wrote:

            > Here you go, Ray.

            Hi Ted,

            I made the changes, made a folder and uploaded it. Thank you for the
            help.

            Ray
          • edwardripleyduggan
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 19, 2007

              > Hi Ted,
              >
              > I made the changes, *made a folder* and uploaded it.

              Dang,knew I forgot something! Sorry about that.

              Ted.

              Thank you for the