OR - Mountain Hardwear Scrambler - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
      OK, I called it, I will answer it. Here is number one. HTML may be
      found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/39t86r

      Mountain Hardwear Scrambler Backpack
      By Raymond Estrella
      OWNER REVIEW
      June 07, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrella@...
      AGE: 46
      LOCATION: Huntington Beach California USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and
      in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my brother-in-law Dave or fiancée Jenn.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: Mountain Hardwear
      Web site: www.mountainhardwear.com
      Product: Scrambler backpack
      Size: Regular
      Year manufactured: 2006
      MSRP: $ 49.00 (US).
      Weight listed: 11 oz (312 g)
      Actual weight 14 oz (397 g)
      Volume: 1,600 cu in (26 l)
      Torso length: N/A
      Color: Titanium, also available in Black and Red
      Warranty: (from company web site), "Mountain Hardwear guarantees that
      the materials and workmanship in every product we make will stand up
      to the use for which it was designed. This warranty does not cover
      damages caused by improper care, accidents or the natural breakdown
      of materials over extended time and use."

      Product Description

      The Scrambler is a dark grey (titanium) top-loading frameless pack.
      It is the lightest and lowest volume of the company's Objective
      Series Packs. It has been positioned for use as a mountaineering,
      scrambling and alpine climbing pack. The hang tag that came with it
      suggests that it is "light and small enough to carry along for side
      trips and summit bids." It also says that it can be used as a
      sleeping bag stuff sack.

      The body of the pack is made of "silicon coated, self-healing 100D
      Cordura, an extreme load parachute material." It is very slick
      feeling and slightly stiff. A cord runs around the top of the pack
      and through a cord lock, allowing the top to be drawn shut.

      Zigzagging across the face of the pack is an elastic cord that goes
      through a cord-lock, and six nylon loops, three on each side.
      Centered below the "bungee web" is an ice ax loop. At the top of the
      pack is a hook and loop tool holder. It can be used to hold the shaft
      of an ice axe, trekking poles or shovel.

      A fixed lid with storage sits on top. It is not that large. I could
      stuff my Redledge Elite rain parka (see review) in it, or my first-
      aid kit and a few small items. There is a key-clip inside at the
      front. This space is accessed from a zipper behind my head. Under the
      lid is a very small zippered pocket that could hold a wallet and
      permit or such. Here is a pic of this pocket.

      The contoured shoulder straps are made of open weave mesh netting
      with nylon piping on the edges. They have an adjustment strap at the
      lower end of the shoulder strap that pulls the pack higher onto my
      shoulders and back. A sternum strap that connects with a quick-clip
      buckle crosses the between the shoulder straps. It is mounted on a
      sliding connection. Each shoulder strap has an elastic nylon loop on
      them also. I keep my knife clipped to one of them. Here is a shot of
      the back of the Scrambler.

      The Scrambler has no hip belt, nor does it have a frame. But it does
      have a 3.4 oz (96 g) EVA foam back panel that gives support to the
      pack. It can be removed, as seen below, to cut the weight down and
      can be used as a sit pad.

      Field Conditions

      I have used the Scrambler mostly in San Jacinto Wilderness and State
      Park and the forests around San Gorgonio as I used it as a summit
      pack for those two mountains. The temps were around 20 F (-7 C) and
      elevations reached 11500' (3505 m).

      I took it to Utah for a few days to use as a daypack. Temps were in
      the teens F (-9 C)

      All use on the trips above were in winter and on snow covered trails
      but looking back it never got snowed on.

      I used it on a couple of long day hikes in the San Gabriel mountains,
      temps on these hikes ranged from 30 F to 70 F (-1 to 21 C).

      Observations

      I bought the Scrambler pack expressly to use as a summit pack. I was
      pretty excited about the low weight. That was somewhat soured for me
      by the actual weight being off by 27%. While I realize it is only 3
      oz (85 g) it still bothers me when gear weights are mis-stated.

      I have another pack of this type that I use a lot more as it is
      lighter and more useable than the Scrambler.

      One thing that has impressed me about the Scrambler is the way that
      it handles weight. For a frameless pack it does a good job. The pad
      that acts as a framesheet works pretty well. And I have had some
      weight on it as can be seen in this picture on the way up San
      Gorgonio.

      I had lunch, water, rain shells, gloves, helmet and crampon case
      inside along with the snowshoes and ice axe strapped to the outside.

      When I bought it I had envisioned using the Scrambler as a
      replacement for my sleeping bag stuff sack to be able to save weight.
      This could still be done, but I have not used it this way to date.

      The top pocket is pretty small. I only keep a few little things in
      it, like wallet, keys, TP and a Larabar or two. But the main pack
      swallows quite a bit.

      When using the bungee on the front I have to be careful that whatever
      I am putting there is quite secure. The silicon coated nylon of the
      pack is so slick that things will slip out easily. I have had Dave
      rescue escaping items for me.

      I have used it for a couple of fastpacks of very long mileage and it
      does quite well for this use. I wish that it had a port for a
      hydration tube, but was able to get by with just running it out the
      side of the opening. I have never taken the framesheet pad out to use
      as a sit-pad as it is quite difficult to get back in, but do like the
      way that it keeps sharp edges away from my back. I have never left
      the pad at home to save weight.

      All told it is a decent little pack. With the addressing of a couple
      of things I think it could be even better.

      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer
      Version 1. Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 14, 2007
          Hiya Ray,

          Looks pretty good, short and to the point. I have a few minor
          suggestions, which I'm not listing in the manner of formal edits.

          First, perhaps "temps" should be spelled in full: "temperatures." I
          think almost all overseas readers will understand "temps" from the
          context, though, so it's a picayune point. Second, and a little more
          substantive, TP probably should be written out.

          Thirdly, and rather more important, the conclusion of the report seems
          to me to be a bit abrupt.

          "With the addressing of a couple of things I think it could be even
          better."

          I then scrolled down past the photo to read the "couple of things"
          only to find this was the end of the report. While I don't necessarily
          feel a "things I like/don't like" is always required, a summary of
          some form is pretty standard and is a useful recapitulation for the
          reader.

          I'd also like to see something in the text on the comfort of the pack.
          Are the mesh straps pleasant to wear, or do they bite into the
          shoulders? Is there any tendency for it to slip to one side when
          climbing with it loaded or does the sternum strap prevent that?

          Best,

          Ted

          BGT Editor
        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 15, 2007
            Hi Ted,

            Thanks for the comments, I redid it and put it here for your approval.

            http://tinyurl.com/2hn6ao

            Ray

            Mountain Hardwear Scrambler Backpack
            By Raymond Estrella
            OR

            Web site: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.mountainhardwear.com"
            LINK TEXT = "www.mountainhardwear.com">>
[...]

            pack for those two mountains. The temperatures were around 20 F (-7
[...]

            it, like wallet, keys, toilet paper and a Larabar or two. But the
            main pack swallows quite a bit.

            When using the bungee on the front I have to be careful that whatever
            I am putting there is quite secure. The silicon coated nylon of the
            pack is so slick that things will slip out easily. I have had Dave
            rescue escaping items for me.

            I have used it for a couple of fastpacks of very long mileage and it
            does quite well for this use. I wish that it had a port for a
            hydration tube, but was able to get by with just running it out the
            side of the opening. I have never taken the framesheet pad out to use
            as a sit-pad as it is quite difficult to get back in, but do like the
            way that it keeps sharp edges away from my back. I have never left
            the pad at home to save weight.

            The web shoulder pads work quite well. As I never had the weight too
            high I did not notice the lack of padding. They did not dig into my
            the top of my shoulders, even though I hike in just a base layer
            quite often in winter. When wearing my fleece or (rarely) parka, I do
            not even notice them. As hot as I am when I climb they have helped
            keep my chest from sweating as much as I normally do.

            While I understand that it is too small to employ an actual hip belt,
            a small waist belt would help keep it from flopping around when
            climbing. Which it does while climbing the boulders up to the peak of
            San Jacinto or like areas.

            All told it is a decent little pack. With the addressing of a couple
            of things (hydration port, waist belt, correct weight stated) I think
            it could be even better.
          • edwardripleyduggan
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 15, 2007
              Thanks, Ray. You are good to go.

              Incidentally (and this is neither an edit nor a comment), isn't this a
              bit big for a stuff sack for a sleeping bag? I guess if you are doing
              a base camp and want a day pack that would work out? Shame about the
              weight. 27 percent off is well beyond the pale, IMO.

              Ted.

              <rayestrella@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > way that it keeps sharp edges away from my back. I have never left
              > the pad at home to save weight.
              >
              > The web shoulder pads work quite well. As I never had the weight too
              > high I did not notice the lack of padding. They did not dig into my
              > the top of my shoulders, even though I hike in just a base layer
              > quite often in winter. When wearing my fleece or (rarely) parka, I do
              > not even notice them. As hot as I am when I climb they have helped
              > keep my chest from sweating as much as I normally do.
              >
              > While I understand that it is too small to employ an actual hip belt,
              > a small waist belt would help keep it from flopping around when
              > climbing. Which it does while climbing the boulders up to the peak of
              > San Jacinto or like areas.
              >
              > All told it is a decent little pack. With the addressing of a couple
              > of things (hydration port, waist belt, correct weight stated) I think

            • rayestrella1
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 16, 2007
                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan" <erd@...>
                wrote:

                > Incidentally (and this is neither an edit nor a comment), isn't this
                a bit big for a stuff sack for a sleeping bag?

                Hi Ted,

                Thanks for the help. I made a folder for it and uploaded it.

                Well if I am taking my Marmot CWM (-40F/C) bag it will take up all the
                room. It is too big for most bags but their thought is that if one is
                already taking a stuff sack it could be used for it and then have a
                summit pack. One time I carried a 2 lb GG Vapor Trail pack to Shasta
                inside of my Bora 95 just to use for summitting.