Re: EDIT: REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket

  • a_m_kehrer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 5, 2007
      OR-L. L. Bean Trail Model Jacket
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20L\
      .L.%20Bean%20Trail%20Model%20Jacket%20-%20Aaron%20Kehrer/>

      L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket
      Owner Review

      April 26, 2007

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Aaron Kehrer
      Age: 30
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 2" (1.88 Meters)
      Weight: 160 Pounds (73 Kilograms)
      Email address: aaron AT akehrer DOT com
      City: Ypsilanti
      State: Michigan
      Country: USA

      Backpacking Background: I have just begun backpacking in the last year
      in my native state of Michigan. I usually spend at least one to two
      nights out every couple of months including during the winter. I
      currently have my first full camping kit (tent, bag, pack) and am
      interested more in getting out there than counting ounces.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: L. L. Bean
      Year of manufacture: 2006
      Web site: www.llbean.com
      Manufacturer's Weight: none given
      Actual Weight: 12 oz. (340 g)
      Size: Men's Large
      MSRP: $59.00

      Features Listed on Manufacturer's Website
      Made from TEK2.5 waterproof, breathable nylon fabric
      Taped seams
      Adjustable hood

      Product Description:
      I received a bright yellow L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket for a
      birthday present last year paired with a pair of their Trail Model Rain
      Pants. The jacket is a size large and is quite roomy on my frame, enough
      that I can easily fit a medium weight fleece and a down vest underneath.
      The cut is long enough that the bottom sits below my waist, and the back
      is longer than the front to help keep things dry when I bend over. The
      material is rip-stop nylon with a waterproof/breathable material
      laminated to the inside. There is no liner to protect the material, but
      I tried scratching it with my fingernail and didn't leave any marks.

      Water does bead up and shed off so there probably is a DWR coating on
      the outside even though I could find no information about the TEK2.5
      material on the website. There is a two-way zipper with a piece of
      webbing sewn on the inside storm flap to prevent snagging. The outer
      storm flap and elastic cuffs are held closed with Velcro and there are
      snaps at the base of the zipper and the part of the storm flap on the
      collar. The inside of the collar has a microfleece layer to go against
      my chin. The arms are built such that there is a good range of motion
      without the bottom of the jacket riding up and there is no seam along
      the shoulder where a pack's straps could cause irritation. There are
      elastic draw cords at the bottom and hood with cord locks to keep things
      snugged tight and two mesh pockets high on either side of the chest with
      storm flaps over the zippers. The pockets are large and cover about a
      third of each side of the front of the jacket which make them good for
      storing quite a bit, but they are set a little too high for me to use
      them as a place to warm my hands or keep them dry. Having the pockets
      made out of a mesh material does help with ventilation since there are
      no pit-zips.

      Review:
      I had opportunities to wear this jacket the past fall, winter, and
      spring. The weather in Southeast Michigan is known for being more wet
      and slushy than cold and snowy and so I've had the jacket out in
      downpours and sleet. At all times it kept me dry and the slightly
      oversize fit allowed me to extend its wear into some of the winter
      season by wearing warm layers underneath.

      I have packed the jacket with me on all my backpacking trips since I
      received it, but I have only had to use it once to keep me dry in a
      light rain. It works well as a wind breaker and being able to layer
      under it makes it a good hardshell in a layering system. Most of my
      experience with it has been on the short hikes I take to exercise my dog
      Zeke and I believe these have been varied enough to give me a pretty
      good indication of how the jacket is going to perform in the long run.

      I was worried at first that the material was going to be easily ripped
      or punctured by the tree branches and thorn bushes that line the trails
      Zeke and I like to hike. My previous experience with rain gear has been
      an Army PVC parka, which while being quite durable is an absolute sweat
      box. I am happy to say the material has held up to all the wood's abuses
      in addition to dog claws and the friction of a long piece of static rope
      that I use for a dog lead. Also the breathability has been great with no
      accumulated sweat on the inside of the jacket even after strenuous hill
      climbing. The inside does stick to exposed areas of skin when they have
      a sheen of sweat on them like on hot, humid days. This can be annoying
      when I move my arm and it drags along the inside of the sleeve. It does
      not inhibit motion though.

      The one true test of the jacket's waterproofness came when Zeke and I
      were caught in an open field as a thunderstorm with torrential rain came
      through. We had a good 20 minutes of solid rain where we just hunkered
      down and tried to keep as dry as possible. The temperatures were in the
      mid 40s F (~7 C) and I was glad only to get a part my jeans soaked
      through. The jacket shed water like a champ and everything I could keep
      underneath it stayed bone dry.

      have.

      Likes:
      1. Waterproof and breathable (no surprises)
      2. Durable
      3. Roomy cut for added layers, but not baggy

      Dislikes:
      1. Pockets a little too high to hold my hands
      2. Inside can get sticky when hot and humid

    • Andr√© Corterier
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2007
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "a_m_kehrer" <aaron@...>
        wrote:

        Hi Aaron,

        good job! Everything tucked away on the second turnaround for your
        first OR, every t crossed and every i dotted - good going! Thanks
        for including that little picture - I thought "good god that thing
        is YELLOW" and went to check your text again. Sure enough, you had
        mentioned it's bright yellow but I guess it goes to show why we've
        come to ask for pictures.

        So - go ahead and upload to the folder I made for you, here:
        http://tinyurl.com/36teux

        Upload works just as it does in the test folder. Speaking of which,
        please don't forget to delete the test folder version once you've
        uploaded to the proper folder.

        Allright - one down! Only one more to go before you can start
        applying. And the way tests are being spaced right now, you'll be
        able to start writing applications the moment you've uploaded the
        second and have sent in your tester agreement.

        So - get another OR into the queue! It'll be picked up just like
        this one was, edited etc. Now may be a good time to download and
        send in your tester agreement if you have not done so already,
        and/or to take a look at our Bylaws, at
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=Bylaws&page=0
        - again, if you have not done so already.

        I trust you'll find the second to go a little faster than the first
        (though not much). But it's worth it. Trust me.

        André
        OR Editor