OR - REI Merino Wool Light Hiker - Low - Sheila

  • S
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2007
      Hello,

      I have an OR ready for edit. I already OR'd my pack, so how about some socks? The HTML
      can be found here: http://snipurl.com/1n5c2

      Sheila

      REI MERINO WOOL LIGHT HIKER - LOW
      Hiking Socks

      OWNER REVIEW
      Date: June 1, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION
      Name: Sheila Morrissey
      Age: 26
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 8" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 150 lb (68 kg)
      Shoe Size: 10 US Women's
      Email address: geosheila(at)yahoo(dot)com
      City, State, Country: Goleta, California, USA

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      I enjoy hiking and backpacking in the Sierra Nevada and Los Padres National Forest with
      friends and my dog, Patch. My pack is usually around 25 lb (11 kg), including
      consumables. In the past I most often wore light hiking boots, but I now usually wear trail
      runners. In either case, I always pair my hiking shoes with REI Merino Wool Light Hiker -
      Low hiking socks.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer: Recreation Equipment, Inc.
      Year: 2003-2006
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.rei.com
      Size: Medium
      Color: Beige/Walnut
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 2 oz (57 g) per pair
      MSRP: $8.50

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
      REI Merino Wool Light Hiker - Low hiking socks are unisex and are sold in small, medium,
      large and extra large sizes. They are made of 78% merino lambswool, 20% nylon and 2%
      Lycra spandex. They have a stretchy band across the arch, are reinforced at the toes and
      heels and have REI's Lin-Toe "no-feel" seems across the toe box. These "Low" version of
      the REI Merino Wool Light Hikers are ankle height. They are also available as crew socks.
      Beige/Walnut and Charcoal/Grey colors are both available.

      FIELD USE CONDITIONS
      I have used a pair of REI Merino Wool Light Hiker - Low hiking socks on most of my hiking
      and backpacking trips since I bought my first pair in 2003. I have worn them at elevations
      from sea level to 11,000 ft (3300 m), in temperatures ranging from 5 to 100 F (-15 to 38
      C) and in clear, rainy and snowy conditions. When backpacking, I always change to a new
      pair before bed each night.

      FIELD USE RESULTS
      I am blown away by the high price of hiking socks. I bought my first pair of REI Merino
      Wool Light Hiker -Low hiking socks in 2003 simply because they were the least expensive
      hiking socks at the store. I have since purchased several more pairs of the same socks and
      have not purchased any other type of hiking socks. The look of the socks has changed
      slightly over the years (see photo of one mismatched pair above).

      The REI Merino Wool Light Hiker - Low hiking socks feel only slightly thicker than my
      everyday cotton athletic socks. I really like the slight extra cushioning the hiking socks
      provide compared with my everyday socks, but I also like that they are not hugely thick
      like other wool hiking socks I have tried. Because I mostly hike in trail runners and don't
      have dedicated hiking boots, I don't want to have to buy separate shoes for use with extra
      thick hiking socks that would require I buy a size larger than my normal shoe size.

      The fit of these socks is perfect. I have never had a problem with these socks slipping or
      bunching in my hiking shoes, nor have I had a problem with them rubbing against my feet,
      even when my feet have gotten wet. I find the stretchy arch band very comfortable and,
      since trying these socks, have switched to only wearing socks with an arch band like this.
      As promised by the Lin-Toe "no-feel" seems, I can't feel any seems on the inside of these
      socks.

      All of my pairs of REI Merino Wool Light Hiker - Low hiking socks appear in similar
      condition, whether I've been using them for one or four years. They pill slightly after their
      first trip through the washing machine, but then, so far as I can tell, endure for several
      years without shrinking or losing elasticity. I try to dry them with low heat when I
      remember, but they have all been through high heat cycles on more than one occasion
      without shrinking. The reinforced toe boxes on the socks work well, too. My big toes turn
      up, so most of my everyday athletic socks last only a few months because they get holes
      over my big toes. This has never happened with these hiking socks.

      PROS
      Durable
      Can't feel the seems because of the Lin-Toe "no-feel" seems
      I like the stretchy arch band
      Reasonable cost, for hiking socks
      Machine-washable
      CONS
      None!
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8, 2007
          Hi Sheila,

          Thanks for the owner review. You know the drill. Once completed you
          may put it here;

          http://tinyurl.com/2djl7k

          Ray

          ***and have REI's Lin-Toe "no-feel" seems across the toe box.

          EDIT: seams

          ***I have used a pair of REI Merino Wool Light Hiker - Low hiking
          socks on most of my hiking and backpacking trips since I bought my
          first pair in 2003.

          Edit: you should drop "a pair of" from your sentence as you have
          bought more than one pair. It just reads awkwardly.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 9, 2007
            Hi Ray,

            D'oh! Thanks for catching my repeated stupid mistake. Though I have
            made the corrections and do have email access right now, I cannot
            upload just yet (can't get that computer online today) but will do
            so within the next few days.

            Thanks for the quick edits, and I will let you know when it's up,

            Sheila

            <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sheila,
            >
            > Thanks for the owner review. You know the drill. Once completed
            you
            > may put it here;
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/2djl7k
          • S
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 11, 2007
              Hi Ray,

              I'm ready to upload, but when I go to the folder there is no upload button.

              Sheila

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "rayestrella1" <rayestrella@...> wrote:

              > Hi Sheila,
              >
              > Thanks for the owner review. You know the drill. Once completed you
              > may put it here;
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/2djl7k
              >
              > Ray
            • rayestrella1
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 11, 2007
                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "S" <geosheila@...> wrote:

                > Hi Ray,
                >
                > I'm ready to upload, but when I go to the folder there is no upload
                button.

                Try it now Sheila.

                Ray
              • S