OR- MIKE DAURIO mountain hard wear ULTRALAMINA 32

  • mikejr232323
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2007
      ULTRALAMINA 32 BY MOUNTAIN HARDWEAR SLEEPING BAG
      BY MIKE DAURIO JR.
      OR
      April 15, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Daurio Jr.
      EMAIL: mikejr232323@...
      AGE: 30
      LOCATION: Wonder Lake, Illinois USA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
      WEIGHT: 183 lb (83.00 kg)

      I am quite new to backpacking. My experience lies mostly as a canoe
      guide. My inspiration to get more into this sport/hobby was a
      backpack trip to Thailand in 2005. Due to my experience I am fond of
      lightweight, waterproof quality gear. I backpack in mainly hilly
      forested areas and of course near rivers and streams. I also do a
      lot of backpack traveling to other countries. I am a 3-season
      backpacker. Every year I spend time in the Ozarks in Missouri and in
      Voyageurs National Park in Minnesota. I'd love to explore
      Canyonlands National Park in Utah.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Mountain Hard Wear
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: <<www.mountainhardwear.com>>
      MSRP: USD $180.00
      Listed Weight: 2lbs. 2oz. (950 g)
      Tested weight: 2lbs. 5.5 oz. (1.06 kg)

      Other details: After receiving the sleeping bag, I packed it in
      the included stuff sack. The stuff sack is made of the high quality
      Ultralight nylon and has compression straps. The sharp Mountain
      Hard Wear logo is displayed on the cap as well as screen printed on
      the handle located at the bottom of the stuff sack. Compressed size
      is approximately 6"x 13" (15.24cm x 33.02 cm). It was pretty easy
      getting the bag in and out of the small stuff sack. The manufacturer
      recommends storing the bag hung or in the included mesh storage bag.
      The storage bag is one color with the logo and bag description
      printed on the bottom. It has a drawstring top and a woven nylon
      handle on the side. I purchased a Sea To Summit eVent Compression
      Dry Sack - 6 x 14 to replace the included stuff sack. The optional
      purchase allows the bag to be strapped outside my pack and fits the
      bag like it was built specifically for it. It even matched the
      color. The tested weight includes the sea to summit eVent bag.
      The bag I purchased is the LONG version. This bag is also
      available in the regular size (1lb.15oz. [870g]) The Men's regular
      is supposed to house up to a 6ft. (182cm) person and the long up to
      6ft. 6in. (198cm). After trying both, and being at the max length of
      the regular, I chose the long. It provided a bit more wiggle room in
      the foot area. The bag is cut in a natural foot position.
      Construction of the bag is in patented welded Lamina fill that
      allows high compressibility and maintains loft. It also has a
      lightweight wind resistant shell. By looking at the bag it shines
      quality. The bag has two double zippers that come from the "cheeks"
      of the head opening and run approx 23in. (58cm) on each side. The
      double zippers allow you to take your arms out of the bag to sit up
      and cook, read, write, etc. with ease. Additionally they provide
      venting without the bag falling off in the night. On the left side is
      an internal, zippered, pocket perfect for stowing a wallet, pocket
      knife, small flashlight, etc. The face opening has two cinch cords,
      one upper and one lower, that block drafts, and help seal in warmth.

      FIELD USE

      After researching and purchasing the sleeping bag I couldn't wait to
      test it. The first test was indoors. came home one night to my
      furnace being in need of service. The outside temperature was
      approximately 20 degrees F. (-6.66 degrees C) I climbed into the
      bag after checking the thermostat's reading at 41 degrees F (5
      degrees C) I was bundled up in a merino wool base layer and some
      polyester jogging pants. The bag performed quite well and at one
      point in the night I opened the sides zippers for a taste of a little
      cooler air.

      The next test came after the heat was fixed. Setting the
      thermostat at a balmy 65 degrees F (18.33 degrees C) I was in for a
      toasty night. In a cotton T-shirt and nylon shorts I was a little
      too hot. I cut the use of the hood and opened the zippers wide and
      was cool for the rest of the night. I figure if you are warm at
      night, type of person, you'd like this bag in the cool summer nights.

      Wanting to know how this bag would preform in the wet conditions, I
      put the bag under the kitchen sink faucet. The bag repelled the
      direct hit of water, and the H2O beads off like it was broccoli. I
      put the whole bag in the sink and let the faucet run. The puddling
      made by the weight of the water caused the bag to retain moisture.
      The bag was easily rung out and when checked an hour later was cool
      to the touch hinting at the presence of water still. The bag did
      maintain loft . After the third hour it was almost bone dry.

      My first outdoor trip came as an early spring trip when temps hit
      60 degrees F (15.5 degrees C). On a standard car camping trip in a
      state park, I slept in a airy tent that has three and a half sides
      of mesh. Even with my rain fly on the tent was quite drafty. Inside
      the bag I was cozy and warm, proving the shell's resistance to
      wind. I have also tented this bag in another tent camping trip with
      cooler temps. It seems that the bag's internal temperature stays
      consistent in various surrounding temperatures leading me to believe
      the bag has an exceptional insulation to breathability ratio.

      I finally was able to try the bag in a an overnight hiking
      situation. The straps on my bag easily wove through the compression
      straps for a quick external attachment. The bag was a welcomed loss
      of weight to my pack. My old, bulkier, bag will not be missed. I
      did not weigh the total pack, but the difference was felt even on a
      one night load. The extra space saved inside the pack allowed me to
      put my dog's gear inside my pack deleting a cumbersome pack of her's,
      that I continually have to adjust.

      The bag preformed well on multiple camping and backpacking trips
      this spring already. I've been to small state parks and conservation
      areas. The temperatures of the trip ranged from 40-60degrees F (4.5-
      15.5 degrees C) per weather forecasts. I have not experienced any
      inclement weather, but given the home test I am sure the bag would
      dry nice and quick if it did get wet.

      SUMMARY

      The ultralamina 32 is a warm, roomy, and comfortable bag that oozes
      quality from every welded seam.

      THINGS I LIKE

      1. Comfort of the material and room in the bag
      2. The warmth of the bag on frosty nights
      3. The stuffed and compressed size and weight is perfect for
      hauling in my pack.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      1. I wish the bag was made more for my stature. The fact I was on
      the threshold of the maximum of the regular size bag and the minimum
      for the long bag left me without that perfect fit feeling. The
      choice of long was taken for comfort.
      2. Clogged zippers amounted when opening the bag too fast. By
      taking due care I can easily avoid this. I have had this problem
      with every bag I've owned.

      SIGNATURE

      Mike Daurio Jr.

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1 3:31 PM

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6 6:31 PM
          Hi Mike,

          We have a few edits and some info that is missing but it is a pretty
          good review. You remember the drill;
          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
          to the subject line. Include your name also please.

          Ray

          ***MSRP: USD $180.00

          EDIT: according to the manufacturer the MSRP is $185.00 for the long
          version. Also you should have the size in this section.

          ***Tested weight: 2lbs. 5.5 oz. (1.06 kg)

          EDIT: please change this to "Actual weight" or "Reviewed weight" as
          you are not testing this bag. You have used "test" in many places in
          this review. Can you please change them all?

          ***The stuff sack is made of the high quality Ultralight nylon

          EDIT: the bag itself has (according to MH) an "ultralight shell made
          of 20 D micro ripstop nylon". The stuff sack is just plain old nylon
          according to MH.

          ***The sharp Mountain Hard Wear logo is displayed

          EDIT: it is Mountain Hardwear, not two words

          ***Compressed size is approximately 6"x 13" (15.24cm x 33.02 cm).

          EDIT: needs a space at 15.24 cm, and you should round off the numbers
          to 15 x 33 cm since your imperial numbers are just approximate.

          The optional purchase allows the bag to be strapped outside my pack
          and fits the
          bag like it was built specifically for it.

          EDIT: as the sack you bought is from another manufacturer it is not
          an "option". And as it is almost identical in size to what you say
          the stock sack is you may want to explain how it can go on the
          outside of your pack when the MH model would not.

          ***The tested weight includes the sea to summit eVent bag.

          EDIT: two things here. You need to give the weight of the bag by
          itself as that is what the manufacturer lists. Just subtract the
          weight of the stuff sack from the total to get it. And the Sea to
          Summit sack is not the focus of this review and remarks about it
          should be kept to a minimum. We would love a review of it later…

          ***The bag I purchased is the LONG version.

          EDIT: no caps please (long). And as I mentioned before this should be
          up in the product details.

          ***This bag is also available in the regular size (1lb.15oz. [870g])

          EDIT: no periods after the abbreviations please. But you do need
          spaces. (1 lb 15 oz [870 g]) Check for all instances.

          ***The bag is cut in a natural foot position.

          Edit: and that is? You may want to explain your statement.

          ***Construction of the bag is in patented…

          EDIT: Construction of the bag is "of" patented…

          ***welded Lamina fill that allows high compressibility and maintains
          loft.

          EDIT: it is filled with "Thermic Micro fill" The welding refers to
          the way that the seams are held together. They are glued instead of
          sewn.

          It also has a lightweight wind resistant shell.

          Comment: what is the shell made of? Hint; I mentioned it above… ;-)

          ***The double zippers allow you to take your arms out of the bag

          EDIT: remember the "you" and your" thing. Keep it in the first person.

          EDIT: Mike can you please put a Field Data or Field Conditions
          section in here and list where the bag was used, the temps,
          elevations, terrain, type of pad used or not, weather, etc.? And how
          many times it has been used?

          ***The first test was indoors. came home one night

          EDIT: "I" came home…

          ***approximately 20 degrees F. (-6.66 degrees C)

          EDIT: -7 C

          ***I opened the sides zippers for a taste of a little cooler air.

          EDIT: "side" zippers

          ***Setting the thermostat at a balmy 65 degrees F (18.33 degrees C)

          EDIT: while I can almost understand including the use in a house with
          the furnace going out, this is not allowable or wanted. We are a
          Backpacking site. Not bedding reviews. This tells the backpacker
          looking for a good bag nothing about where they plan to be. Please
          remove this.

          ***Wanting to know how this bag would preform in the wet conditions

          EDIT: perform

          ***the H2O beads off like it was broccoli.

          Edit: I don't get it. Like the water was broccoli? What does that
          mean?

          ***The puddling made by the weight of the water caused the bag to
          retain moisture.

          EDIT: while I know what you mean, puddling is not a word. How about
          something like, "The weight of the water sitting on the shell pushed
          it into the insulation water-logging the bag".

          ***On a standard car camping trip in a state park, I slept in a airy
          tent

          EDIT: "an" airy tent…

          ***It seems that the bag's internal temperature stays consistent in
          various surrounding temperatures leading me to believe the bag has an
          exceptional insulation to breathability ratio.

          EDIT: the bag does not have a thermostat. It does not have any
          temperature, you do. The bag alone will equalize with the ambient
          temperature. The insulation allows you to maintain your temperature.
          I know what you are trying to say. I wore wool socks in the desert in
          summer working on hot roads because the same properties that insulate
          me from cold will do the same for extreme heat. You just need to word
          this better.

          ***The straps on my bag easily wove through the compression straps
          for a quick external attachment.

          EDIT: what straps on your bag? Does it have straps on it? And the
          compression straps of what? Your compression sack? Your backpack?

          ***the difference was felt even on a one night load. The extra space
          saved inside the pack allowed me…

          Comment: welcome to the light my friend. I started making the change
          4 years ago and have never looked back.

          ***deleting a cumbersome pack of her's, that I continually have to
          adjust.

          EDIT: hers

          The bag preformed well on multiple camping and backpacking trips

          EDIT: performed

          ***The ultralamina 32 is a warm, roomy, and comfortable bag

          EDIT: it is called the UltraLamina

          ***2. The warmth of the bag on frosty nights

          Edit: what frosty nights? Did you mention use on below freezing
          nights? This would be good in the Field Conditions section.
        • mikejr232323@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8 7:56 AM
            Ray,

              thanks for the edits I'll work on them now and get them back to you.  only one "comment "  I'd reccommend FRESH broccoli one day for dinner this week, and don't forget to wash it.  you'll see about the beading....   I do understand the lack of clarity and will clarify/correct it.

            mike

            We have a few edits and some info that is missing but it is a pretty
            ood review. You remember the drill;
            DIT: must be changed
            dit: should be changed but will be left to your discretion
            omment: just that or something to think about
            When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
            o the subject line. Include your name also please.
            Ray

            ***MSRP: USD $180.00
            EDIT: according to the manufacturer the MSRP is $185.00 for the long
            ersion. Also you should have the size in this section.

            **Tested weight: 2lbs. 5.5 oz. (1.06 kg)
            EDIT: please change this to "Actual weight" or "Reviewed weight" as
            ou are not testing this bag. You have used "test" in many places in
            his review. Can you please change them all?

            **The stuff sack is made of the high quality Ultralight nylon
            EDIT: the bag itself has (according to MH) an "ultralight shell made
            f 20 D micro ripstop nylon". The stuff sack is just plain old nylon
            ccording to MH.

            **The sharp Mountain Hard Wear logo is displayed
            EDIT: it is Mountain Hardwear, not two words

            **Compressed size is approximately 6"x 13" (15.24cm x 33.02 cm).
            EDIT: needs a space at 15.24 cm, and you should round off the numbers
            o 15 x 33 cm since your imperial numbers are just approximate.

            he optional purchase allows the bag to be strapped outside my pack
            nd fits the
            ag like it was built specifically for it.
            EDIT: as the sack you bought is from another manufacturer it is not
            n "option". And as it is almost identical in size to what you say
            he stock sack is you may want to explain how it can go on the
            utside of your pack when the MH model would not.

            **The tested weight includes the sea to summit eVent bag.
            EDIT: two things here. You need to give the weight of the bag by
            tself as that is what the manufacturer lists. Just subtract the
            eight of the stuff sack from the total to get it. And the Sea to
            ummit sack is not the focus of this review and remarks about it
            hould be kept to a minimum. We would love a review of it later…

            **The bag I purchased is the LONG version.
            EDIT: no caps please (long). And as I mentioned before this should be
            p in the product details.

            **This bag is also available in the regular size (1lb.15oz. [870g])
            EDIT: no periods after the abbreviations please. But you do need
            paces. (1 lb 15 oz [870 g]) Check for all instances.

            **The bag is cut in a natural foot position.
            Edit: and that is? You may want to explain your statement.

            **Construction of the bag is in patented…
            EDIT: Construction of the bag is "of" patented…

            **welded Lamina fill that allows high compressibility and maintains
            oft.
            EDIT: it is filled with "Thermic Micro fill" The welding refers to
            he way that the seams are held together. They are glued instead of
            ewn.

            t also has a lightweight wind resistant shell.
            Comment: what is the shell made of? Hint; I mentioned it above… ;-)

            **The double zippers allow you to take your arms out of the bag
            EDIT: remember the "you" and your" thing. Keep it in the first person.

            DIT: Mike can you please put a Field Data or Field Conditions
            ection in here and list where the bag was used, the temps,
            levations, terrain, type of pad used or not, weather, etc.? And how
            any times it has been used?

            **The first test was indoors. came home one night
            EDIT: "I" came home…

            **approximately 20 degrees F. (-6.66 degrees C)
            EDIT: -7 C

            **I opened the sides zippers for a taste of a little cooler air.
            EDIT: "side" zippers

            **Setting the thermostat at a balmy 65 degrees F (18.33 degrees C)
            EDIT: while I can almost understand including the use in a house with
            he furnace going out, this is not allowable or wanted. We are a
            ackpacking site. Not bedding reviews. This tells the backpacker
            ooking for a good bag nothing about where they plan to be. Please
            emove this.

            **Wanting to know how this bag would preform in the wet conditions
            EDIT: perform

            **the H2O beads off like it was broccoli.
            Edit: I don't get it. Like the water was broccoli? What does that
            ean?

            **The puddling made by the weight of the water caused the bag to
            etain moisture.
            EDIT: while I know what you mean, puddling is not a word. How about
            omething like, "The weight of the water sitting on the shell pushed
            t into the insulation water-logging the bag".

            **On a standard car camping trip in a state park, I slept in a airy
            ent
            EDIT: "an" airy tent…
            ***It seems that the bag's internal temperature stays consistent in
            arious surrounding temperatures leading me to believe the bag has an
            xceptional insulation to breathability ratio.
            EDIT: the bag does not have a thermostat. It does not have any
            emperature, you do. The bag alone will equalize with the ambient
            emperature. The insulation allows you to maintain your temperature.
            know what you are trying to say. I wore wool socks in the desert in
            ummer working on hot roads because the same properties that insulate
            e from cold will do the same for extreme heat. You just need to word
            his better.

            **The straps on my bag easily wove through the compression straps
            or a quick external attachment.
            EDIT: what straps on your bag? Does it have straps on it? And the
            ompression straps of what? Your compression sack? Your backpack?

            **the difference was felt even on a one night load. The extra space
            aved inside the pack allowed me…
            Comment: welcome to the light my friend. I started making the change
            years ago and have never looked back.

            **deleting a cumbersome pack of her's, that I continually have to
            djust.

            DIT: hers

            he bag preformed well on multiple camping and backpacking trips
            EDIT: performed

            **The ultralamina 32 is a warm, roomy, and comfortable bag
            EDIT: it is called the UltraLamina
            ***2. The warmth of the bag on frosty nights
            Edit: what frosty nights? Did you mention use on below freezing
            ights? This would be good in the Field Conditions section.

            ahoo! Groups Links
            Individual Email | Traditional
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/