EDIT: OR - Six Moon Designs - Starlite Backpack

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2007
      Hello Fred,

      I've looked over the reposted review. You have addressed some of the
      initial deficiencies in the review that were noted in the first edit,
      but others remain essentially unchanged. A number of these edits
      pertain to key (and required) areas of the review, including the
      description of the pack, the field conditions, etc.

      At this point, although I have supplied an edit (portions of which
      reiterate the first), I strongly suggest that you would do well to use
      BGT's mentor program. I believe that this would be a help to you, and
      would put you on a stronger footing. As it is, this is a frustrating
      process for both of us. Your amount of use is solid, and this could be
      a very interesting and useful review, but my initial edits do need to
      be addressed in detail.

      Best,

      Ted.

      > Six Moon Designs - Starlite Backpack
      > Owner Review
      > Date: April 25, 2007
      >
      > Name: Fred Hsu
      > Age: 31
      > Gender: Male
      > Height: 5' 5" (1.65 m)
      > Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
      > Email address: fredlhsu(at)gmail(dot)com
      > City, State, Country: San Jose, CA, U.S.
      >
      > Backpacking Background:
      > I started backpacking about three years ago with a beginning
      > backpacking class. I've taken a number of weekend trips, and have
      > taken one week long trip. I pack fairly lightweight, although not
      > quite "ultralight", as I do like some comfort. I love the Sierra
      > Nevadas, and would love to hike the JMT some day.
      >
      > Product Info
      > Manufacturer: Six Moon Designs
      > Year of Manufacture: 2005
      > URL of Manufacturer: www.sixmoondesigns.com
      > Model: Starlite
      > Size: One size fits all
      > Listed Weight: 30 oz (850 g)
      > Weight as Delivered: 30 oz (850 kg)
      > Listed Capacity: 4,200 cu in (69 L)
      >
      > Product Description
      > The Six Moon Designs Starlite is an ultralight backpack that uses a
      > sleeping pad in a special pocket to create the frame of the
      > backpack. There are optional aluminum stays available for extra
      > support for heavier loads. There are two
      > side mesh pockets that can hold water bottles, and a large front mesh
      > pocket for extra gear. These pockets and an extension collar are
      > included in the listed capacity.
      >

      > The Starlite has the following features:
      > * Advanced Suspension System
      > * Pad Pocket with External Access
      > * Four Exterior Mesh Pockets
      > * Compression System
      > * Ice Axe Loop
      > * Hydration Port
      > * Dry Bag Closure
      > * Contoured Cut
      > * 4200 Cubic Inches (69 Liters)
      > * Adjustable Torso Length
      > * Load lifter Straps
      > * Sternum Strap
      > * Bear Canister Compatible
      > * 210 Denier Dyneema Nylon

      ### EDIT: This is still a bit terse so far as *your* description of
      the pack goes. I had asked that this be put, so far as possible, in
      your own words, as you can amplify the description there. For example,
      you have a dry bag closure. How is it implemented in this case? It's
      OK to quote the manufacturer, but we need a fairly detailed
      description from you as well.

      > I've carried the Starlite on a number of backpacking trips in the Bay
      > Area, Sierra Nevadas, and Canyonlands National Park. These trips
      > have ranged from high mountains, to dry deserts, and the pack has
      > served me well on all occasions. I purchased the optional aluminum
      > stays for extra load bearing capability.

      ### EDIT: In the last round of edits, I had asked for full details on
      conditions. This request doesn't seem to have been addressed.

      > When taking the pack on some overnight trips around the Bay Area, it
      > provided ample room for all of my gear. With a light load it was
      > comfortable and didn't add to my base pack weight as much as some
      > traditional packs. This pack uses a special pad pocket on the back to
      > hold a sleeping pad. By putting my sleeping pad in this pocket, it
      > creates a lightweight internal frame for light pack loads. I have
      > used a Therm-A-Rest Trail Lite pad (Regular Size) and a RidgeRest
      > (Regular Size), and find that just using the pad can reasonably
      > transfer weight to my hips up to around 15 lb. (6.8 kg). The
      > inflatable pad fits easily when deflated, and I would usually inflate
      > it a slightly after inserting it into the pocket to add some more
      > rigidity to the pack. The RidgeRest fits nicely if folded into
      > thirds, and provides a pretty good frame for the pack. The weight
      > transfer was not the solid feeling I would get with a traditional
      > internal frame pack, but transfered enough weight to make light loads
      > comfortable. At weights heavier than 15 lb. (6.8 kg) I would add the
      > stays, and was comfortable up to 30 lb. (13.6 kg). The optional stays
      > are only 5 oz. (141.75 g), and I would often just leave them in for
      > the added rigidity and comfort. With the stays in, the pack felt more
      > like a traditional pack in terms of weight transfer, but still not
      > quite the full internal frame feeling. For me, the weight savings is
      > well worth the slight loss of weight transfer.
      >
      > I like having the sleeping pad in the outside
      > back pocket to allow easy access, and it seems to keep the pack more
      > orderly since everything is stuffed into one large sack. The roll top
      > closure opens wider than the main body, making access to everything
      > easy. The roll top seals with velcro

      ### EDIT: "Velcro" if you know it is Velcro brand, otherwise "a hook
      and loop closure"

      , so I would leave a slight
      > portion of it unfastened as I rolled it shut to force out extra air,
      > and then seal it at the end. When packing the pack, I would place a
      > water bladder or bottle in one of the side mesh pockets, and snacks in
      > the other. In the main mesh pocket I would put other items I wanted
      > easy access to such as my map, Aqua Mira water purification, compass,
      > hand sanitizer, and bandana.

      ### EDIT: bandana

      I would also clip a stuff sack with a
      > light windbreaker to the bungee cord in front of the outer mesh pocket
      > for quick access. When carrying maller

      ### EDIT: smaller

      loads, rolling the top down