OWNER REVIEW Byer of Maine Travelers Hammock, John Addleman REVISED

  • john_addleman
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2 7:02 PM
      BYER OF MAINE PARACHUTE TRAVELER HAMMOCK
      BY JOHN ADDLEMAN
      OR
      April 26, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: John Addleman
      EMAIL: wtvr (at) comcast (dot) net
      AGE: 18
      LOCATION: South Central Pennsylvania
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 165 lb (74.80 kg)
      TORSO: 17" (43 cm)
      STYLE: Light & Fast

      I've only been backpacking for 6 months now but I've loved the
      outdoors all my life. I'm a senior in high school and I'm going to go
      to college in Boulder, Colorado. I go day hiking and rock climbing
      every weekend and every time I have an extra day off of school, you'll
      find me in the backcountry camping out. I'm usually hiking my local
      AT and its side trails, and since I'm in Pennsylvania my hiking is
      comprised of rocky trails and frequent ups and downs at low altitude.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Byer of Maine
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.byerofmaine.com
      MSRP: not provided on website (purchased for $20)
      Listed Weight: "about" 11 oz (~312 g)
      Measured Weight: 11 3/4 oz (333 g)
      Other details: 54" x 84" (137cm x 213 cm) flat, weight limit 240 lbs
      (109 kg)

      The Parachute Traveler Hammock comes folded in a plastic blister pack
      with no accessories. Basic instructions such and hanging height,
      distance, and how to lie in the hammock are on the back of the package.

      The hammock has no spreader bars and is made from silk parachute
      nylon, with coreless braided paracord for the lines and loops on the
      end. It comes in three colors (red, orange, and green) and stuffs into
      an 8" x 4" (20x30 cm) bag that is sewn onto the side of the hammock.
      While in use, the storage bag can hold a drink or nighttime essentials.

      The hammock is designed to be laid in diagonally, "the Brazilian way",
      and would offer sufficient room for anyone under 6'6" (198 cm). To
      hang properly, the trees supporting the hammock should be from 9-11
      feet apart (2.7-3.3 m). The proper setup for this hammock is very
      loose, with the hammock hanging in a deep 'U' to facilitate lying in
      the Brazilian fashion.

      <<Image 1>>

      FIELD USE

      I have used this hammock to sleep in on one 2 night trip, for
      relaxation on another, and for some VERY comfortable breaks while day
      hiking, all on the Pennsylvania section of the AT, in fair weather.
      After receiving the hammock, it became apparent that there were no
      hanging supplies provided, so those purchasing this item will need to
      keep that in mind, because that will add expense and weight.

      As a bed, the hammock can be quite comfortable but may not be the best
      option for stomach and side sleepers. When on one's back, lying
      diagonally, one's back stays straight. For example, I often get a sore
      or tense lower back and using this hammock did not affect that at all.
      One great thing about using a hammock is that the comfort element of
      using a sleeping pad is already taken care of, so one can use a light,
      thin closed-cell foam pad and still get a good night's sleep. The side
      pocket is especially useful when sleeping in the hammock because it
      can store water, a flashlight, one's glasses or watch, etc. Using a
      hammock as a bed is naturally limited to those hikers sleeping in
      forests without thick tree cover, so this would not be an option for
      those in arctic or above treeline conditions.

      For relaxing around camp, the hammock can still be useful, although
      some may not wish to bring an extra pound (.45 kg) of gear for no
      essential purpose. This weight includes the hanging gear that I have,
      but those with a greater expertise with knots than I may be able to
      hang the hammock with some rope and hitches. The hammock can also be
      used like a chair by folding it in half, sitting on the middle seam,
      and leaning back.

      SUMMARY

      The hammock is lightweight, packs small, and is cheap compared to
      other lightweight hammocks. There have been no problems with
      durability yet, and it seems quite sturdy.

      THINGS I LIKE

      -Sewn on drink/miscellaneous/storage pocket
      -Comfortable for my back
      -Lightweight
      -Packs surprisingly small
      -Good value
      -Allows me to go without a heavy self-inflating mat without
      sacrificing comfort
      -Keeps me off the ground and away from snakes and creepy-crawlies as I
      sleep

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      -No bug protection
      -Hanging equipment not included
      -I don't feel comfortable sleeping in it on my stomach or side
      -Can't be used in certain situations

      CONCLUSION

      This hammock is a solid investment for those looking for a strong
      lightweight hammock without bug protection. This could easily be the
      basis of a lightweight hammock camping arrangement. Byer also sells a
      'Moskito Traveler' billed at 16 oz (.45 kg) that has no-see-um netting
      suspended above the hammock with a shockcord.

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2 7:21 PM
        Hi John,

        This is a pretty good start to your first review and we appreciate
        the effort and interest in the program.

        Unfortunately your usage falls short of the requirements for gear
        reviews. When testing an item like a tent or hammock we require 5
        nights in the field at least. For owner reviews we encourage a season
        of use to really know how the item works and whether there are any
        durability issues and such. Two nights is not really enough to know
        how it will hold up to help someone make an imformed buying decision.

        So please keep this review, and add to it as you get some more use
        with the hammock.

        In the meantime if you have any other current backpacking gear that
        you can write about, please do. We will be looking forward to it.

        Raymond Estrella
        Editor
      • John Addleman
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3 8:27 PM
          So... 4 nights and 3 day hikes isn't enough? Alright I'll delete it from the queue.

        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4 5:19 AM
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, John Addleman
            <john_addleman@...> wrote:

            > So... 4 nights and 3 day hikes isn't enough?

            "FIELD USE

            I have used this hammock to sleep in on one 2 night trip"

            Ray
          • John Addleman
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4 9:12 PM
              I don't want to get into an argument when I just joined. I said I've used it to sleep in for two nights, relaxation two nights (i.e. dusk and dawn hanging around) and on some nature walk-style day hikes. I know that's not 5 nights in the field so I'll delete it. I apologize, I should have read the rules more closely.

            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 6 , May 7 3:50 PM
                Thanks John, no apologies are necessary. It's always okay to ask for
                clarification from the editors if you are unsure about something. We
                welcome communication in the OR process and the testing process.

                Jamie D
                Edit ADmin Manager