Aaron Kehrer Please Read - Re: OWNER REVIEW - L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2007

      reviews before submission.

      Moderator.

      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Edit Administration Manager
    • André Corterier
      Message 2 of 7 , May 7, 2007
        > EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket

        This is the official Edit for Aaron Kehrer's 1st Owner Review - L.L.
        Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket

        Aaron,
        welcome to BackpackGearTest.org - it is my pleasure to edit your
        first OR. You are likely already aware of how this works, if not I
        suggest you read our Bylaws at
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php

        Also, there is a Mentor program available - if at any point in time
        you feel more than just a little bewildered or even completely lost,
        just post a "Mentor Request" (with that line) to this group and one
        will be assigned to you.

        As far as this Edit is concerned, it takes the following format (as
        per the Bylaws): "EDIT" precedes something which must be
        changed, "Edit" precedes something which you should consider changing
        (though whether or not you change it is up to you), "Comment"s are
        just that.

        Without further ado:

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "a_m_kehrer" <aaron@...>
        wrote:

        > L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket
        > Owner Review
        >
        > April 26, 2007
        >
        > Reviewer Information
        > Name: Aaron Kehrer
        > Age: 30
        > Gender: Male
        > Height: 6' 2" (1.88 Meters)
        > Weight: 160 Pounds (73 Kilograms)
        > Email address: aaron@...
        > City: Ypsilanti
        > State: Michigan
        > Country: USA
        >
        > Backpacking Background: I have just begun backpacking in the last
        > year in my native state of Michigan. I usually spend at least one
        > two nights out every couple months including during the winter.

        Comment: Grammatically, this should read "every couple *of* months".
        However, I believe it's become quite common to phrase it this way,
        particular in spoken language. So this makes it a matter of style -
        if you prefer to put it this way, that's okay. We (like to) go for an
        informal style of reviewing, so you're entitled to your own style,
        and we try not to edit style issues. To each his or her own. This
        means that if something else I EDIT is something you prefer to put
        the way you did due to style, you're entitled to the "style defense".
        ;-)

        > currently have my first full camping kit (tent, bag, pack) and am
        > interested more in getting out there than counting ounces.

        Comment: Good for you. I assume that the point will still come at
        which you weigh your pack and come that time, indicating a rough
        ballpark figure of, say, an average pack weight for an overnighter
        would be welcome. But this is okay as it stands.

        > Product Information
        > Manufacturer: L. L. Bean
        > Year of manufacture: 2006
        > Web site: www.llbean.com
        > Weight: 12 oz. (340 g)
        > Size: Men's Large
        > MSRP: $59.00

        EDIT: Please weigh the jacket on a decent scale (if you don't have
        one at home, there's bound to be one at your local post office) and
        give us both the manufacturer's given weight and your measured weight.
        (Yes, this is important to us.)

        > Features Listed on Manufacturer's Website
        > Made from TEK2.5 waterproof, breathable nylon fabric
        > Taped seams
        > Adjustable hood
        >
        > Product Description:
        > I received a bright yellow L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket for a
        > birthday present last year paired with a pair of their Trail Model
        > Rain Pants. The jacket is a large and

        Edit: how about "a size 'Large' and ..."

        > is quite roomy on my frame,
        > enough that I can easily fit a medium weight fleece and a down vest
        > underneath. The cut is long enough that the bottom sits below my
        > waist, and the back is longer than the front to help keep things dry
        > when I bend over. The material is rip-stop nylon with a
        > waterproof/breathable material laminated to the inside, similar to a
        > Gore-Tex laminate.

        Edit: Brand Name mentions in reviews of other products are an iffy
        subject. You spell it correctly, which is good. You're also not doing
        a direct "shoot-out" type comparison (as in "X is better than Y"),
        which is a non-starter. Still - are you qualified to judge in how
        much it is similar? (I'm not suggesting you're *not* qualified, I
        just know *I* am not.) Anyway, if it's not important to you, I'd
        suggest striking the part after the comma.

        > There is no liner to protect the material, but it
        > seems to be durable enough not to need one.

        Edit: I assume this statement is based on your experience having worn
        this jacket. It would be good to state so.

        > Water does bead up and
        > shed off so there probably is a DWR coating on the outside even
        though
        > I could find no information about the TEK2.5 material on the
        website.
        > There is a two-way zipper with a piece of webbing sewn on the
        inside
        > storm flap to prevent snagging. The outer storm flap and elastic
        > cuffs are held closed with Velcro and there are snaps at the base of
        > the zipper and the part of the storm flap on the collar. The inside
        > of the collar has a microfleece layer to go against my chin. The
        arms
        > are built such that there is a good range of motion without the
        bottom
        > of the jacket riding up and there is no seam along the shoulder
        where
        > a pack's straps could cause irritation. There are elastic draw
        cords
        > at the bottom and hood with cord locks to keep things snugged tight
        > and two mesh pockets high on either side of the chest with storm
        flaps
        > over the zippers. The pockets are large and cover about a third of
        > each side of the front of the jacket which make them good for
        storing
        > quite a bit, but they are set a little too high for me to use them
        as
        > a place to warm my hands or keep them dry. Having the pockets made
        > out of a mesh material does help with ventilation since there are no
        > pit-zips.

        Edit: Pictures are now very strongly suggested for Owner Reviews
        (they are required for test reports). As a general rule, taking a
        picture from the manufacturer's website is okay, as long as credit is
        given. Such a picture adds much to your verbal description of the
        item.

        EDIT: How would I know about your picture? Posting an HTML version of
        your report (with picture where available, with clickable
        manufacturer's link) to the Test folder:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/
        is also required. In your repost of this review, please include a
        link to your posted HTML version (snipurl or tinyurl are preferred,
        long links tend to break when posted to Yahoo).
        Should you have any issues with uploading an HTML version, the good
        folks at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BGTFileUploadHelp/ are there
        to help.

        > Review:
        > I had opportunities to wear this jacket the past fall, winter, and
        > spring. The weather in Southeast Michigan is known for being more
        wet
        > and slushy than cold and snowy and so I've had the jacket out in
        > downpours and sleet. At all times it kept me dry and the slight
        > oversize fit

        EDIT: I believe this should be "slightly oversized"

        > allowed me to extend its wear into some of the winter
        > season by wearing warm layers underneath.
        >
        > I have packed the jacket with me on all my trips since I received
        it,
        > but I have only had to use it once to keep me dry in a light rain.

        Edit: You mention other occasions, so I guess the above statement
        refers to backpacking trips only. It might be good to include that
        qualifier.

        > It
        > works well as a wind breaker and being able to layer under it makes
        it
        > a good hardshell in a layering system. Most of my experience with
        it
        > has been on the short hikes I take to exercise my dog Zeke and I
        > believe these have been varied enough to give me a pretty good
        > indication of how the jacket is going to perform in the long run.
        >
        > I was worried at first that the material was going to be easily
        ripped
        > or punctured by the tree branched

        EDIT: branches

        > and thorn bushes that line the
        > trails Zeke and I like to hike. My previous experience with rain
        gear
        > has been an Army PVC parka, which while being quite durable is an
        > absolute sweat box. I am happy to say the material has held up to
        all
        > the wood's abuses in addition to dog claws and the friction of a
        long
        > piece of static rope that I use for a dog lead. Also the
        > breathability has been great with no accumulated sweat on the inside
        > of the jacket even after strenuous hill climbing.

        Comment: How about the outside of *you*?

        > The one true test of the jackets

        EDIT: jacket's

        > waterproofness came when Zeke and I
        > were caught in an open field as a thunderstorm with torrential rain
        > came through. We had a good 20 minutes of solid rain where we just
        > hunkered down and tried to keep as dry as possible. The
        temperatures
        > were in the mid 40s F (~7 C) and I was glad only to get the top half
        > of my jeans soaked through.

        Edit: The top half?

        > The jacket shed water like and champ and

        EDIT: like *a* champ

        > everything I could keep underneath it stayed bone dry.

        layer
        > to have

        EDIT: from here on down your summary is an editorial which goes
        beyond the bounds of the equipment review you're undertaking. We
        don't pass judgment on manufacturers, we report our own experience
        with concrete items we've used in the field. That's it. Please strike
        the below. Feel free to put in something else for your repost, or
        just leave the above.

        and L. L. Bean, while not known to be on the cutting edge of
        > equipment technology is know for making quality items and I believe
        > this is on of them.
        >
        > Likes:
        > 1. Waterproof and breathable (no surprises)
        > 2. Durable
        > 3. Roomy cut for added layers, but not baggy
        >
        > Dislikes:
        > 1. Pockets a little too high to hold my hands

        Aaron, that was a very good first OR draft - you've neatly
        sidestepped most of the usual problems with first ORs. It's been a
        pleasure.
        Please repost the text version of your report to this list
        with "REPOST:" substituted for my "EDIT:" above once you've taken
        care of the edits and uploaded an HTML version to the test folder.

        Again, welcome - you're off to a good start.

        André
      • a_m_kehrer
        Message 3 of 7 , May 25, 2007
          L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket
          Owner Review

          April 26, 2007

          Reviewer Information
          Name: Aaron Kehrer
          Age: 30
          Gender: Male
          Height: 6' 2" (1.88 Meters)
          Weight: 160 Pounds (73 Kilograms)
          Email address: aaron AT akehrer DOT com
          City: Ypsilanti
          State: Michigan
          Country: USA

          Backpacking Background: I have just begun backpacking in the last year
          in my native state of Michigan. I usually spend at

          least one to two nights out every couple of months including during
          the winter. I currently have my first full camping kit

          (tent, bag, pack) and am interested more in getting out there than
          counting ounces.

          Product Information
          Manufacturer: L. L. Bean
          Year of manufacture: 2006
          Web site: www.llbean.com
          Manufacturer's Weight: none given
          Actual Weight: 12 oz. (340 g)
          Size: Men's Large
          MSRP: $59.00

          Features Listed on Manufacturer's Website
          Made from TEK2.5 waterproof, breathable nylon fabric
          Taped seams
          Adjustable hood

          Product Description:
          I received a bright yellow L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket for a
          birthday present last year paired with a pair of their

          Trail Model Rain Pants. The jacket is a size large and is quite roomy
          on my frame, enough that I can easily fit a medium

          weight fleece and a down vest underneath. The cut is long enough that
          the bottom sits below my waist, and the back is longer

          than the front to help keep things dry when I bend over. The material
          is rip-stop nylon with a waterproof/breathable material

          laminated to the inside. There is no liner to protect the material,
          but I tried scratching it with my fingernail and didn't

          leave any marks.

[...]

          dry and the slightly oversize fit allowed me to extend its wear into
          some of the winter season by wearing warm layers

          underneath.

          I have packed the jacket with me on all my backpacking trips since I
          received it, but I have only had to use it once to keep

          me dry in a light rain. It works well as a wind breaker and being
          able to layer under it makes it a good hardshell in a

          layering system. Most of my experience with it has been on the short
          hikes I take to exercise my dog Zeke and I believe these

          have been varied enough to give me a pretty good indication of how the
          jacket is going to perform in the long run.

          I was worried at first that the material was going to be easily ripped
          or punctured by the tree branches and thorn bushes

          that line the trails Zeke and I like to hike. My previous experience
          with rain gear has been an Army PVC parka, which while

          being quite durable is an absolute sweat box. I am happy to say the
          material has held up to all the wood's abuses in addition

          to dog claws and the friction of a long piece of static rope that I
          use for a dog lead. Also the breathability has been great

          with no accumulated sweat on the inside of the jacket even after
          strenuous hill climbing. The inside does stick to expose

          areas of skin when they have a sheen of sweat on them like on hot,
          humid days. This can be annoying when I move my arm and

          it drags along the inside of the sleeve. It does not inhibit motion
          though.

          The one true test of the jacket's waterproofness came when Zeke and I
          were caught in an open field as a thunderstorm with

          torrential rain came through. We had a good 20 minutes of solid rain
          where we just hunkered down and tried to keep as dry as

          possible. The temperatures were in the mid 40s F (~7 C) and I was glad
          only to get part my jeans soaked through. The jacket

          shed water like a champ and everything I could keep underneath it
          stayed bone dry.

          to have.

          Likes:
          1. Waterproof and breathable (no surprises)
          2. Durable
          3. Roomy cut for added layers, but not baggy

          Dislikes:
          1. Pockets a little too high to hold my hands
          2. Inside can get sticky when hot and humid
        • André Corterier
          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2007
            > EDIT: REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket

            Aaron,

            here are your edits for the second round. Nice job on the first round.
            Please see below.

            André
            OR Editor

            wrote:

            > L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket
            > Owner Review
            <snip>
            > I was worried at first that the material was going to be easily
            ripped
            > or punctured by the tree branches and thorn bushes
            >
            > that line the trails Zeke and I like to hike. My previous experience
            > with rain gear has been an Army PVC parka, which while
            >
            > being quite durable is an absolute sweat box. I am happy to say the
            > material has held up to all the wood's abuses in addition
            >
            > to dog claws and the friction of a long piece of static rope that I
            > use for a dog lead. Also the breathability has been great
            >
            > with no accumulated sweat on the inside of the jacket even after
            > strenuous hill climbing. The inside does stick to expose

            EDIT: exposed

            > areas of skin when they have a sheen of sweat on them like on hot,
            > humid days. This can be annoying when I move my arm and
            >
            > it drags along the inside of the sleeve. It does not inhibit motion
            > though.
            >
            > The one true test of the jacket's waterproofness came when Zeke and
            > were caught in an open field as a thunderstorm with
            >
            > torrential rain came through. We had a good 20 minutes of solid rain
            > where we just hunkered down and tried to keep as dry as
            >
            > possible. The temperatures were in the mid 40s F (~7 C) and I was
            glad
            > only to get part my jeans soaked through. The jacket

            EDIT: "a" part "of" my jeans ...

            > shed water like a champ and everything I could keep underneath it
            > stayed bone dry.

            layer
            > to have.
            >
            > Likes:
            > 1. Waterproof and breathable (no surprises)
            > 2. Durable
            > 3. Roomy cut for added layers, but not baggy
            >
            > Dislikes:
            > 1. Pockets a little too high to hold my hands
            > 2. Inside can get sticky when hot and humid

            Allright! Very nicely done.

            Now - about pictures. I believe I told you earlier that pictures
            are "strongly recommended" for Owner Reviews. What this means is that
            seeing as they are mandatory on test series and the entire point of
            this exercise is to get you ready for test series, I would really
            like you to make the effort to include a picture with this review. It
            doesn't matter if it's from the manufacturer's website or one taken
            yourself. Once you have that, please post again to this list and
            *include a link to your html version*. I am stressing this because on
            the test series, a posted text version does not count as having been
            posted unless it contains a link to the html version in the test
            folder. You might as well get used to it now.
            :-)
            Should you have any problems with uploading a picture, the folks at
            are there to help you.

            Of course, as it is only a suggestion, you do have the option of
            stating "no, that's it". In which case you just need to take care of
            the few above edits and repost that and I'll give you the go ahead to
            upload (and then you can have that discussion again with your next OR
            Editor).
            ;-)

            Anyway, good work so far. I'll be looking forward to your repost. It
            was good working with you.

            André
            OR Editor
          • a_m_kehrer
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2007
              OR-L. L. Bean Trail Model Jacket
              <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20L\
              .L.%20Bean%20Trail%20Model%20Jacket%20-%20Aaron%20Kehrer/>

              L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket
              Owner Review

              April 26, 2007

              Reviewer Information
              Name: Aaron Kehrer
              Age: 30
              Gender: Male
              Height: 6' 2" (1.88 Meters)
              Weight: 160 Pounds (73 Kilograms)
              Email address: aaron AT akehrer DOT com
              City: Ypsilanti
              State: Michigan
              Country: USA

              Backpacking Background: I have just begun backpacking in the last year
              in my native state of Michigan. I usually spend at least one to two
              nights out every couple of months including during the winter. I
              currently have my first full camping kit (tent, bag, pack) and am
              interested more in getting out there than counting ounces.

              Product Information
              Manufacturer: L. L. Bean
              Year of manufacture: 2006
              Web site: www.llbean.com
              Manufacturer's Weight: none given
              Actual Weight: 12 oz. (340 g)
              Size: Men's Large
              MSRP: $59.00

              Features Listed on Manufacturer's Website
              Made from TEK2.5 waterproof, breathable nylon fabric
              Taped seams
              Adjustable hood

              Product Description:
              I received a bright yellow L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket for a
              birthday present last year paired with a pair of their Trail Model Rain
              Pants. The jacket is a size large and is quite roomy on my frame, enough
[...]

              downpours and sleet. At all times it kept me dry and the slightly
              oversize fit allowed me to extend its wear into some of the winter
              season by wearing warm layers underneath.

              I have packed the jacket with me on all my backpacking trips since I
              received it, but I have only had to use it once to keep me dry in a
              light rain. It works well as a wind breaker and being able to layer
              under it makes it a good hardshell in a layering system. Most of my
              experience with it has been on the short hikes I take to exercise my dog
              Zeke and I believe these have been varied enough to give me a pretty
              good indication of how the jacket is going to perform in the long run.

              I was worried at first that the material was going to be easily ripped
              or punctured by the tree branches and thorn bushes that line the trails
              Zeke and I like to hike. My previous experience with rain gear has been
              an Army PVC parka, which while being quite durable is an absolute sweat
              box. I am happy to say the material has held up to all the wood's abuses
              in addition to dog claws and the friction of a long piece of static rope
              that I use for a dog lead. Also the breathability has been great with no
              accumulated sweat on the inside of the jacket even after strenuous hill
              climbing. The inside does stick to exposed areas of skin when they have
              a sheen of sweat on them like on hot, humid days. This can be annoying
              when I move my arm and it drags along the inside of the sleeve. It does
              not inhibit motion though.

              The one true test of the jacket's waterproofness came when Zeke and I
              were caught in an open field as a thunderstorm with torrential rain came
              through. We had a good 20 minutes of solid rain where we just hunkered
              down and tried to keep as dry as possible. The temperatures were in the
              mid 40s F (~7 C) and I was glad only to get a part my jeans soaked

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 8, 2007
                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "a_m_kehrer" <aaron@...>
                wrote:

                Hi Aaron,

                good job! Everything tucked away on the second turnaround for your
                first OR, every t crossed and every i dotted - good going! Thanks
                for including that little picture - I thought "good god that thing
                is YELLOW" and went to check your text again. Sure enough, you had
                mentioned it's bright yellow but I guess it goes to show why we've
                come to ask for pictures.

                So - go ahead and upload to the folder I made for you, here:
                http://tinyurl.com/36teux

                Upload works just as it does in the test folder. Speaking of which,
                please don't forget to delete the test folder version once you've
                uploaded to the proper folder.

                Allright - one down! Only one more to go before you can start
                applying. And the way tests are being spaced right now, you'll be
                able to start writing applications the moment you've uploaded the
                second and have sent in your tester agreement.

                So - get another OR into the queue! It'll be picked up just like
                this one was, edited etc. Now may be a good time to download and
                send in your tester agreement if you have not done so already,
                and/or to take a look at our Bylaws, at
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=Bylaws&page=0
                - again, if you have not done so already.

                I trust you'll find the second to go a little faster than the first
                (though not much). But it's worth it. Trust me.

                André
                OR Editor