Thank you R Lyon - Re: OWNER REVIEW - Icebreaker Skin 200 Leggings with Fly

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2007

      reviews before submission.

      Moderator.

      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Edit Administration Manager
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2007
        Hello Richard,

        A good piece of work, as usual. I use merino wool long johns myself in
        winter, and find them excellent. Sadly, I have issues with merino
        shirts which, much as I like the feel and comparative lack of odor
        accumulation, seem to wear and snag badly, especially in the lighter
        weights. All mine (and I have quite a few) have patches. Very annoying.

        http://tinyurl.com/2hhyxn

        for the corrected OR.

        Best,

        Ted.

        BGT Editor

        > The first of several ORs on my search for merino wool base layer
        > garments. HTML is posted in Tests/OR folder at
        > http://tinyurl.com/25rzm2
        >
        > ICEBREAKER MEN'S SKIN 200 LEGGINGS WITH FLY
        > Owner Review by Richard Lyon
        > April 29, 2007
        >
        > Personal Details and Backpacking Background.
        > Male, 60 years old
        > Height: 6' 4" (1.93 m)
        > Weight: 200 lb (91 kg)
        > Email address: rlyon AT gibsondunn DOT com
        > Home: Dallas, Texas USA
        > I've been backpacking for 45 years on and off, and regularly in the
        > Rockies since 1986. I do a week long trip every summer, and often
        > take three-day trips. I'm usually camping in alpine terrain, at
        > altitudes of 5000 to 13000 ft (1500 - 4000 m). I prefer base camp
        > backpacking, a long hike in with day trips from camp, but I do my
        > share of forced marches too. Though always looking for ways to
        > reduce weight, I'm not yet a lightweight hiker and I usually choose
        > a bit more weight over foregoing my favorite camp conveniences.
        > Additional Reviewer Information. I've always favored natural fibers
        > over synthetics for outerwear (and everyday wardrobe too, for that
        > matter) unless I could identify a particular functionality in a man-
        > made fiber that I couldn't get with wool, cotton, or linen. That
        > meant that until the last few years many of my outdoor base layer
        > shirts and leggings came from one or two suppliers. Now that pure
        > wool, particularly merino wool, garments that are intended for
        > backcountry activities have become more popular and far easier to
        > find, I'm always looking for new sources. This past fall I
        > continued my search for wool base layer clothing in a highly
        > scientific manner – I'd buy a top or pair of leggings from a
        > manufacturer new to me whenever I found a garment I liked at a
        > significant savings over my current principal suppliers, Ibex and
        > Filson.

        ### EDIT: I'd prefer if you omit "Ibex and Filson." This is not quite
        a "shoot-out" style use of manufacturer names, but I am none the less
        uncomfortable with it.

        One such purchase was two pairs of Icebreaker Leggings with
        > Fly from an online outfitter during a sale.
        > PRODUCT DETAILS. Icebreaker Men's SKIN 200 Leggings with Fly are a
        > base layer (Icebreaker uses the term "skin layer") made from 100%
        > merino wool. The "200" refers to fabric weight in grams per square
        > meter. Instead of a single seam running down the middle of the seat
        > the Leggings have a trapezoidal-shaped back panel that is sewn to a
        > rectangular panel about two inches (5 cm) above the bottom. This
        > rectangular panel goes under the crotch and is sewn in front to the
        > bottom of the fly, about two inches (5 cm) up from the bottom. All
        > seems are sewn flat. The Leggings have plain bottoms, with no
        > elastic at the cuff.
        > Manufacturer: Icebreaker Nature Clothing, Ketchum, Idaho USA
        > Manufacturer's description of features: "Flat sewn side seams; Soft
        > elastic waistband; Gusseted crotch; No centre

        ### COMMENT: "centre" is fine by me, but do they actually use that
        spelling? Just curious.

        back seam."
        > Website: www.icebreaker.com (All quotations in this Review and the
        > photo at left come from this website.)
        > Size: XL; available in sizes S through XXL.
        > Color: Black
        > Fabric: "100 % merino wool." (I don't know if this is intended to
        > exclude the elastic in the waistband.)
        > Weight (measured, none listed): 7.6 oz / 215 g
        > Warranty: None listed. Icebreaker will accept returns for products
        > ordered online if returned, unworn and unwashed, in original
        > packaging within thirty days after order.

        ### EDIT: If there is a MSRP, please put it here; if (as I suspect)
        not, please state n/a

> [...]
        > Temperatures ranged from -30 F (-34 C) at night in January to a mid-
        > afternoon springtime high of 65 F (18 C), all in the Teton Range of
        > the Rockies in Wyoming. Daytime temperatures were about 15 F (-9
        > C), in Alta and environs, Utah, and Nelson, British Columbia, in
        > December and February, respectively. In these latter venues snow
        > flurries and stiff winds generated a "wind chill" considerably more
        > frigid than the ambient temperature. (Wind chill is a misery index
        > reported by various meteorological services in the United States and
        > Canada. It is a rough calculation of the temperature equivalent on
        > exposed skin at a specific temperature and wind speed.)
        > I never wore an intermediate layer between the Leggings and my outer
        > shell. On seven days in-bounds and two in the backcountry (one of
        > them very cold, ~-15 F/-26 C) days I wore unlined eVENT bibs; on the
        > other days I wore a one-piece Gore-Tex ski suit with a Thinsulate
        > lining. Twice it was cold enough after skiing to wear the Leggings
        > (a clean pair) under jeans around town, and one night in a
        > backcountry yurt in the Tetons I wore fleece sweatpants over the
        > Leggings when going out for firewood or bathroom breaks. I washed
        > the Leggings at the end of each trip, meaning that at most a pair
        > had no more than three days of use between washings.
        > EVALUATION. The bottom line (pun intended) is that the Icebreaker
        > Leggings with Fly are as good a pair of tights, long john bottoms,
        > lower body base layer, backcountry underwear (pick your term) as
        > I've ever worn. Here's why.
        > For me at least the Leggings have a near-perfect fit. Icebreaker
        > has a useful chart on its website to assist a buyer in selecting the
        > correct size of its products. Rather than giving the garment
        > dimensions Icebreaker provides "ideal" user waist, seat, and outside
        > leg measurements for each available size, and instructs: "In
        > instances when your body measurements for Seat, Waist and Outside
        > Leg are in different suggested sizes, we recommend going with the
        > size from your Seat measurement." I used this chart to come up with
        > size XL, and that size gives a fit that's tight without being
        > constraining and that does not cause bunching up when stretching my
        > legs - in short, thoroughly comfortable. I'd prefer another inch or
        > so (2-3 cm) of length, but as I have unusually long legs for my
        > waist size I don't consider this a fault. The Leggings' waist
        > matches my own.
        > Icebreaker's merino has a very soft hand, much gentler than
        > synthetics, and never itchy even when wet. Whether it's the
        > particular cut, with no seams along the bottom of the crotch or the
        > middle of the seat, or just a lucky fit, I've encountered almost no
        > bunching or other significant movement even after stretching or
        > skiing. It's also nice not to have a seam chafing a particular body
        > orifice. As I always wear mid-calf length socks when outdoors in

        ### EDIT bottoms

        of my base layer inside the socks,
        > lack of elastic at the cuff hasn't bothered me.

      • richardglyon
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2007
          Ted,
          Thanks for the edits and my apologies for missing the MSRP (yes
          there is one and I actually cite it as an advantage). "Centre" is a
          quote. Icebreaker uses Imperial spelling all over its website; I
          believe that a New Zealander stated the company. All edits made and
          revised OR uploaded.
          I'm slightly surprised at your experience with merino tops, as I
          favor them in no small part for their durability. Without intending
          to start a shootout I suggest you try an Ibex Q-Tee or Outback, or
          an MEC Crew (my next OR). All have very flat weaves and have held up
          really well. Regards, Richard