OR Fido Fleece Dog Booties - Jo Ann Moffi

  • Jo
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2 6:37 AM
      Hi Guys!

      Here's another one for the queue:

      http://snipurl.com/1j2sf

      Thanks,
      Jo Ann

      ********************
      Fido Fleece Dog Booties
      Owner Review
      May 2, 2007

      Name: Jo Ann Moffi
      Age: 33
      Gender: Female
      Height: 168 cm (5 ft 6 in)
      Weight: 84 kg (185 lb)
      Shoe Size: US 8 women's
      Email address: jomoffi AT gmail DOT com
      City, State, Country: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

      Backpacking Background:

      I was introduced to backpacking about 15 years ago when I met my
      husband. We have been backpacking, canoe camping, car camping, hiking,
      and participating in all sorts of outdoor activities ever since. We
      live in a border town (US & Canada), so we spend lots of time in both
      countries for our outdoor excursions. When making a decision on gear,
      I like to go lightweight and practical. I don't like to carry around
      extraneous bits and pieces.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Premier Pet Products, LLC
      Manufacture Date: 2000 (still available in 2007)
      MSRP: $27.98
      Size: Medium (fits 6.4-7.6 cm (2.5-3 in) paws) Also available in tiny,
      x-small, small, large, and x-large.
      Actual Measurements:
      Color: Light Blue
      Actual Weight: For all four booties:
      Fabric: Fleece uppers, antiabrasion Tufftek on the sole and toe.

      Field Information:
      My 25 kg (55 lb) golden retriever, Morgan is the dog who has been
      sporting these boots for the past 7 years. She has worn them in many
      different types of weather conditions from wet slushy snow to frozen
      icy conditions. She has also worn the boots in the summertime on the
      beach when her paws get raw from swimming and the sand. The boots have
      been used in temperatures ranging from 35 to -30 C (95 to -22 F). The
      terrain we've been on has ranged from snow covered city sidewalks and
      streets to leaping through heavy powder snow while creating our own
      bush trails. The beach she spends the most time on in the summer is a
      combination of sand and small rocks.

      Product Review:
      I have tried several different types of dog booties on Morgan. Issues
      in the past we've had with other brands are:
      * Not staying on her feet.
      * The bottom foot pad rolling over so that she is walking on the top
      of the bootie.
      * Top portion of the bootie collecting snow or other trail debris.
      * Very little traction.

      All of these issues have been solved with the Fido Fleece Booties. I
      can't recall one instance where we have lost any booties on the trail.
      With other booties, I was constantly counting feet to make sure that
      Morgan was still wearing them when she came out of deep snow or even
      when walking on sidewalks. The Fido Fleece Booties have a little nylon
      stay that makes it easy to really tighten down the strap to keep the
      booties on. This and a combination of the other features of the
      booties make them reliable on the trail.

      I'm not sure what it is that keeps the Fido Fleece Booties from
      rolling around on her feet. It could be that being able to get them
      tight on her leg prevents the bootie from rolling over on her foot.

      The top portion of the bootie has a little elasticated drawcord that
      keeps snow and trail debris from getting into the boot. On other
      brands the lack of this has allowed this stuff to get into the top of
      the bootie, which puts additional stress on the boot from the inside.
      This is especially true with snow. Once the snow melts in there, it
      weighs down on the bootie and the bootie eventually sides off. Fido
      Fleece Booties have solved this with the addition of the draw cord.

      The Fido Fleece Booties has Tufftek sewn onto the bottom and across
      the top of the toe. After 7 years of use, Morgan is wearing through
      the Tufftek. I put the booties on her while we are still in the house
      and she does not slip around on the hardwood floors. The only surface
      I have seen her slide on is frozen creeks or ponds on our winter hikes.

      Most desireable features:
      * These boots stay on!
      * Relatively easy to get them onto the dog.
      * Did I mention the boots stay on?

      Least desireable features:
      * Absorb a lot of water.
      * Velcro strap covers Morgan's dewclaw, which can get irritating if
      not positioned properly.

        Hey Jo Ann,

        (This is apparently Ask Jo Ann Lots of Questions Week...)

        Those boots look pretty good. Does your golden have dewclaws? My friend's dog (a
        shepherd/pit) has her dewclaws and we haven't been able to find a boot that doesn't bug
        her. The newer Ruff Wear ones with the super Vibram soles actually made her dewclaws
        bleed, poor thing. She's not a big pansy like my dog, but we've still had occasion to put
        doggie boots on her.

        Sheila

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jo" <jomoffi@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys!
        >
        > Here's another one for the queue:
        >
        > http://snipurl.com/1j2sf
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jo Ann
        >
        > ********************
        > Fido Fleece Dog Booties
        > Owner Review
        > May 2, 2007
      • S
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2 8:45 AM
          Oh goodness, I just reread the end of your review and saw you mentioned the issue with the
          dewclaws.

          Sheila

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jo" <jomoffi@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys!
          >
          > Here's another one for the queue:
          >
          > http://snipurl.com/1j2sf
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jo Ann
          >
          > ********************
          > Fido Fleece Dog Booties
          > Owner Review
          > May 2, 2007
        • richardglyon
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2 2:55 PM
            Jo Ann, do you think they could handle double dewclaws? I notice
            that the breed list on website doesn't include Great Pyrenees (or
            any of the other giant breeds). Richard

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "S" <geosheila@...> wrote:

            > Oh goodness, I just reread the end of your review and saw you
            mentioned the issue with the
            > dewclaws.
            >
            > Sheila
            >

            > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jo" <jomoffi@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Guys!
            > >
            > > Here's another one for the queue:
            > >
            > > http://snipurl.com/1j2sf
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Jo Ann
            > >
            > > ********************
            > > Fido Fleece Dog Booties
            > > Owner Review
            > > May 2, 2007

          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2 3:31 PM

              reviews before submission.

              Moderator.

              will use APPROVED in the subject line.

              the list or contact me directly.

              Edit Administration Manager
            • TheMiddleSister
              Message 6 of 8 , May 2 4:47 PM
                Not Jo Ann, but I tested the Muttluks with my 55 lb dog w/dew claws and they worked great! It was one of my very first tests and we're still using them.

                Kathy

                (This is apparently Ask Jo Ann Lots of Questions Week...)

                Those boots look pretty good. Does your golden have dewclaws? My friend's dog (a
                shepherd/pit) has her dewclaws and we haven't been able to find a boot that doesn't bug
                her. The newer Ruff Wear ones with the super Vibram soles actually made her dewclaws
                bleed, poor thing. She's not a big pansy like my dog, but we've still had occasion to put
                doggie boots on her.

                Sheila

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jo" <jomoffi@...> wrote:

                > Hi Guys!
                >
                > Here's another one for the queue:
                >
                > http://snipurl.com/1j2sf
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Jo Ann
                >
                > ********************
                > Fido Fleece Dog Booties
                > Owner Review
                > May 2, 2007

                http://www.eset.com

              • Jo
                Message 7 of 8 , May 2 5:58 PM
                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "S" <geosheila@...> wrote:

                  > Oh goodness, I just reread the end of your review and saw you
                  mentioned the issue with the
                  > dewclaws.
                  >
                  > Sheila

                  No prob. Morgan's dewclaws are pretty firmly attached, they don't flop
                  around like some dog's do. Sometimes I wonder if its just her getting
                  tired of wearing the boots or if it is actually irritating. On
                  occasion, I've re-adjusted the boots and she's been fine for another
                  couple of km. She kind of stops and noses the boots on the inside of
                  her leg which is what makes me think its the dewclaws that are being
                  irritated.

                  She fortunately can't talk to tell me what she thinks of them! :)

                  Jo Ann
                • Jo
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 2 6:05 PM
                    --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "richardglyon" <rlyon@...> wrote:

                    > Jo Ann, do you think they could handle double dewclaws? I notice
                    > that the breed list on website doesn't include Great Pyrenees (or
                    > any of the other giant breeds). Richard

                    I don't see why they wouldn't be able to. The velcro can be positioned
                    either above or below Morgan's dewclaws. It seems to be when it is
                    above that she finds it to be an issue. But we are talking after an
                    hour or two of hiking as well... its not like she starts poking at
                    them as soon as we get out the door. Usually an adjustment fixes the
                    issue.

                    I really like them. I've used them on my sister's dearly departed dog
                    too and she was a shepard/bull mastiff cross. Not exactly a giant
                    breed, but she had pretty big feet. She never found them irritating on
                    her dewclaws because the dewclaws were far enough up her leg that they
                    were between the velcro strap and the drawstring. She is the only dog
                    I've had lose a Fido Bootie, but that's because she would take them
                    off when we weren't looking!

                    I used to manage a pet food and supply store and we sold more of the
                    Fido booties than any other. We had some pretty big ones there that
                    would have fit a giant breed.

                    Jo Ann