OWNER REVIEW - L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket

  • a_m_kehrer
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2007
      L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket
      Owner Review

      April 26, 2007

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Aaron Kehrer
      Age: 30
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 2" (1.88 Meters)
      Weight: 160 Pounds (73 Kilograms)
      Email address: aaron@...
      City: Ypsilanti
      State: Michigan
      Country: USA

      Backpacking Background: I have just begun backpacking in the last
      year in my native state of Michigan. I usually spend at least one to
      two nights out every couple months including during the winter. I
      currently have my first full camping kit (tent, bag, pack) and am
      interested more in getting out there than counting ounces.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: L. L. Bean
      Year of manufacture: 2006
      Web site: www.llbean.com
      Weight: 12 oz. (340 g)
      Size: Men's Large
      MSRP: $59.00

      Features Listed on Manufacturer's Website
      Made from TEK2.5 waterproof, breathable nylon fabric
      Taped seams
      Adjustable hood

      Product Description:
      I received a bright yellow L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket for a
      birthday present last year paired with a pair of their Trail Model
      Rain Pants. The jacket is a large and is quite roomy on my frame,
      enough that I can easily fit a medium weight fleece and a down vest
      underneath. The cut is long enough that the bottom sits below my
      waist, and the back is longer than the front to help keep things dry
      when I bend over. The material is rip-stop nylon with a
      waterproof/breathable material laminated to the inside, similar to a
      Gore-Tex laminate. There is no liner to protect the material, but it
      seems to be durable enough not to need one. Water does bead up and
      shed off so there probably is a DWR coating on the outside even though
      I could find no information about the TEK2.5 material on the website.
      There is a two-way zipper with a piece of webbing sewn on the inside
      storm flap to prevent snagging. The outer storm flap and elastic
      cuffs are held closed with Velcro and there are snaps at the base of
      the zipper and the part of the storm flap on the collar. The inside
      of the collar has a microfleece layer to go against my chin. The arms
      are built such that there is a good range of motion without the bottom
      of the jacket riding up and there is no seam along the shoulder where
      a pack's straps could cause irritation. There are elastic draw cords
      at the bottom and hood with cord locks to keep things snugged tight
      and two mesh pockets high on either side of the chest with storm flaps
      over the zippers. The pockets are large and cover about a third of
      each side of the front of the jacket which make them good for storing
      quite a bit, but they are set a little too high for me to use them as
      a place to warm my hands or keep them dry. Having the pockets made
      out of a mesh material does help with ventilation since there are no
      pit-zips.

      Review:
      I had opportunities to wear this jacket the past fall, winter, and
      spring. The weather in Southeast Michigan is known for being more wet
      and slushy than cold and snowy and so I've had the jacket out in
      downpours and sleet. At all times it kept me dry and the slight
      oversize fit allowed me to extend its wear into some of the winter
      season by wearing warm layers underneath.

      I have packed the jacket with me on all my trips since I received it,
      but I have only had to use it once to keep me dry in a light rain. It
      works well as a wind breaker and being able to layer under it makes it
      a good hardshell in a layering system. Most of my experience with it
      has been on the short hikes I take to exercise my dog Zeke and I
      believe these have been varied enough to give me a pretty good
      indication of how the jacket is going to perform in the long run.

      I was worried at first that the material was going to be easily ripped
      or punctured by the tree branched and thorn bushes that line the
      trails Zeke and I like to hike. My previous experience with rain gear
      has been an Army PVC parka, which while being quite durable is an
      absolute sweat box. I am happy to say the material has held up to all
      the wood's abuses in addition to dog claws and the friction of a long
      piece of static rope that I use for a dog lead. Also the
      breathability has been great with no accumulated sweat on the inside
      of the jacket even after strenuous hill climbing.

      The one true test of the jackets waterproofness came when Zeke and I
      were caught in an open field as a thunderstorm with torrential rain
      came through. We had a good 20 minutes of solid rain where we just
      hunkered down and tried to keep as dry as possible. The temperatures
      were in the mid 40s F (~7 C) and I was glad only to get the top half
      of my jeans soaked through. The jacket shed water like and champ and
      everything I could keep underneath it stayed bone dry.

      to have and L. L. Bean, while not known to be on the cutting edge of
      equipment technology is know for making quality items and I believe
      this is on of them.

      Likes:
      1. Waterproof and breathable (no surprises)
      2. Durable
      3. Roomy cut for added layers, but not baggy

      Dislikes:
      1. Pockets a little too high to hold my hands
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • André Corterier
        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2007
          > EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket

          This is the official Edit for Aaron Kehrer's 1st Owner Review - L.L.
          Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket

          Aaron,
          welcome to BackpackGearTest.org - it is my pleasure to edit your
          first OR. You are likely already aware of how this works, if not I
          suggest you read our Bylaws at
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php

          Also, there is a Mentor program available - if at any point in time
          you feel more than just a little bewildered or even completely lost,
          just post a "Mentor Request" (with that line) to this group and one
          will be assigned to you.

          As far as this Edit is concerned, it takes the following format (as
          per the Bylaws): "EDIT" precedes something which must be
          changed, "Edit" precedes something which you should consider changing
          (though whether or not you change it is up to you), "Comment"s are
          just that.

          Without further ado:

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "a_m_kehrer" <aaron@...>
          wrote:

          > L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket
          > Owner Review
          >
          > April 26, 2007
          >
          > Reviewer Information
          > Name: Aaron Kehrer
          > Age: 30
          > Gender: Male
          > Height: 6' 2" (1.88 Meters)
          > Weight: 160 Pounds (73 Kilograms)
          > Email address: aaron@...
          > City: Ypsilanti
          > State: Michigan
          > Country: USA
          >
          > Backpacking Background: I have just begun backpacking in the last
          > year in my native state of Michigan. I usually spend at least one
          > two nights out every couple months including during the winter.

          Comment: Grammatically, this should read "every couple *of* months".
          However, I believe it's become quite common to phrase it this way,
          particular in spoken language. So this makes it a matter of style -
          if you prefer to put it this way, that's okay. We (like to) go for an
          informal style of reviewing, so you're entitled to your own style,
          and we try not to edit style issues. To each his or her own. This
          means that if something else I EDIT is something you prefer to put
          the way you did due to style, you're entitled to the "style defense".
          ;-)

          > currently have my first full camping kit (tent, bag, pack) and am
          > interested more in getting out there than counting ounces.

          Comment: Good for you. I assume that the point will still come at
          which you weigh your pack and come that time, indicating a rough
          ballpark figure of, say, an average pack weight for an overnighter
          would be welcome. But this is okay as it stands.

          > Product Information
          > Manufacturer: L. L. Bean
          > Year of manufacture: 2006
          > Web site: www.llbean.com
          > Weight: 12 oz. (340 g)
          > Size: Men's Large
          > MSRP: $59.00

          EDIT: Please weigh the jacket on a decent scale (if you don't have
          one at home, there's bound to be one at your local post office) and
          give us both the manufacturer's given weight and your measured weight.
          (Yes, this is important to us.)

          > Features Listed on Manufacturer's Website
          > Made from TEK2.5 waterproof, breathable nylon fabric
          > Taped seams
          > Adjustable hood
          >
          > Product Description:
          > I received a bright yellow L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket for a
          > birthday present last year paired with a pair of their Trail Model
          > Rain Pants. The jacket is a large and

          Edit: how about "a size 'Large' and ..."

          > is quite roomy on my frame,
          > enough that I can easily fit a medium weight fleece and a down vest
          > underneath. The cut is long enough that the bottom sits below my
          > waist, and the back is longer than the front to help keep things dry
          > when I bend over. The material is rip-stop nylon with a
          > waterproof/breathable material laminated to the inside, similar to a
          > Gore-Tex laminate.

          Edit: Brand Name mentions in reviews of other products are an iffy
          subject. You spell it correctly, which is good. You're also not doing
          a direct "shoot-out" type comparison (as in "X is better than Y"),
          which is a non-starter. Still - are you qualified to judge in how
          much it is similar? (I'm not suggesting you're *not* qualified, I
          just know *I* am not.) Anyway, if it's not important to you, I'd
          suggest striking the part after the comma.

          > There is no liner to protect the material, but it
          > seems to be durable enough not to need one.

          Edit: I assume this statement is based on your experience having worn
          this jacket. It would be good to state so.

          > Water does bead up and
          > shed off so there probably is a DWR coating on the outside even
          though
          > I could find no information about the TEK2.5 material on the
          website.
          > There is a two-way zipper with a piece of webbing sewn on the
          inside
          > storm flap to prevent snagging. The outer storm flap and elastic
          > cuffs are held closed with Velcro and there are snaps at the base of
          > the zipper and the part of the storm flap on the collar. The inside
          > of the collar has a microfleece layer to go against my chin. The
          arms
          > are built such that there is a good range of motion without the
          bottom
          > of the jacket riding up and there is no seam along the shoulder
          where
          > a pack's straps could cause irritation. There are elastic draw
          cords
          > at the bottom and hood with cord locks to keep things snugged tight
          > and two mesh pockets high on either side of the chest with storm
          flaps
          > over the zippers. The pockets are large and cover about a third of
          > each side of the front of the jacket which make them good for
          storing
          > quite a bit, but they are set a little too high for me to use them
          as
          > a place to warm my hands or keep them dry. Having the pockets made
          > out of a mesh material does help with ventilation since there are no
          > pit-zips.

          Edit: Pictures are now very strongly suggested for Owner Reviews
          (they are required for test reports). As a general rule, taking a
          picture from the manufacturer's website is okay, as long as credit is
          given. Such a picture adds much to your verbal description of the
          item.

          EDIT: How would I know about your picture? Posting an HTML version of
          your report (with picture where available, with clickable
          manufacturer's link) to the Test folder:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/
          is also required. In your repost of this review, please include a
          link to your posted HTML version (snipurl or tinyurl are preferred,
          long links tend to break when posted to Yahoo).
          Should you have any issues with uploading an HTML version, the good
          folks at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BGTFileUploadHelp/ are there
          to help.

          > Review:
          > I had opportunities to wear this jacket the past fall, winter, and
          > spring. The weather in Southeast Michigan is known for being more
          wet
          > and slushy than cold and snowy and so I've had the jacket out in
          > downpours and sleet. At all times it kept me dry and the slight
          > oversize fit

          EDIT: I believe this should be "slightly oversized"

          > allowed me to extend its wear into some of the winter
          > season by wearing warm layers underneath.
          >
          > I have packed the jacket with me on all my trips since I received
          it,
          > but I have only had to use it once to keep me dry in a light rain.

          Edit: You mention other occasions, so I guess the above statement
          refers to backpacking trips only. It might be good to include that
          qualifier.

          > It
          > works well as a wind breaker and being able to layer under it makes
          it
          > a good hardshell in a layering system. Most of my experience with
          it
          > has been on the short hikes I take to exercise my dog Zeke and I
          > believe these have been varied enough to give me a pretty good
          > indication of how the jacket is going to perform in the long run.
          >
          > I was worried at first that the material was going to be easily
          ripped
          > or punctured by the tree branched

          EDIT: branches

          > and thorn bushes that line the
          > trails Zeke and I like to hike. My previous experience with rain
          gear
          > has been an Army PVC parka, which while being quite durable is an
          > absolute sweat box. I am happy to say the material has held up to
          all
          > the wood's abuses in addition to dog claws and the friction of a
          long
          > piece of static rope that I use for a dog lead. Also the
          > breathability has been great with no accumulated sweat on the inside
          > of the jacket even after strenuous hill climbing.

          Comment: How about the outside of *you*?

          > The one true test of the jackets

          EDIT: jacket's

          > waterproofness came when Zeke and I
          > were caught in an open field as a thunderstorm with torrential rain
          > came through. We had a good 20 minutes of solid rain where we just
          > hunkered down and tried to keep as dry as possible. The
          temperatures
          > were in the mid 40s F (~7 C) and I was glad only to get the top half
          > of my jeans soaked through.

          Edit: The top half?

          > The jacket shed water like and champ and

          EDIT: like *a* champ

          > everything I could keep underneath it stayed bone dry.

          layer
          > to have

          EDIT: from here on down your summary is an editorial which goes
          beyond the bounds of the equipment review you're undertaking. We
          don't pass judgment on manufacturers, we report our own experience
          with concrete items we've used in the field. That's it. Please strike
          the below. Feel free to put in something else for your repost, or
          just leave the above.

          and L. L. Bean, while not known to be on the cutting edge of
          > equipment technology is know for making quality items and I believe
          > this is on of them.
          >
          > Likes:
          > 1. Waterproof and breathable (no surprises)
          > 2. Durable
          > 3. Roomy cut for added layers, but not baggy
          >
          > Dislikes:
          > 1. Pockets a little too high to hold my hands

          Aaron, that was a very good first OR draft - you've neatly
          sidestepped most of the usual problems with first ORs. It's been a
          pleasure.
          Please repost the text version of your report to this list
          with "REPOST:" substituted for my "EDIT:" above once you've taken
          care of the edits and uploaded an HTML version to the test folder.

          Again, welcome - you're off to a good start.

          André
        • a_m_kehrer
          Message 4 of 7 , May 25, 2007
            L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket
            Owner Review

            April 26, 2007

            Reviewer Information
            Name: Aaron Kehrer
            Age: 30
            Gender: Male
            Height: 6' 2" (1.88 Meters)
            Weight: 160 Pounds (73 Kilograms)
            Email address: aaron AT akehrer DOT com
            City: Ypsilanti
            State: Michigan
            Country: USA

            Backpacking Background: I have just begun backpacking in the last year
            in my native state of Michigan. I usually spend at

            least one to two nights out every couple of months including during
            the winter. I currently have my first full camping kit

            (tent, bag, pack) and am interested more in getting out there than
            counting ounces.

            Product Information
            Manufacturer: L. L. Bean
            Year of manufacture: 2006
            Web site: www.llbean.com
            Manufacturer's Weight: none given
            Actual Weight: 12 oz. (340 g)
            Size: Men's Large
            MSRP: $59.00

            Features Listed on Manufacturer's Website
            Made from TEK2.5 waterproof, breathable nylon fabric
            Taped seams
            Adjustable hood

            Product Description:
            I received a bright yellow L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket for a
            birthday present last year paired with a pair of their

            Trail Model Rain Pants. The jacket is a size large and is quite roomy
            on my frame, enough that I can easily fit a medium

            weight fleece and a down vest underneath. The cut is long enough that
            the bottom sits below my waist, and the back is longer

            than the front to help keep things dry when I bend over. The material
            is rip-stop nylon with a waterproof/breathable material

            laminated to the inside. There is no liner to protect the material,
            but I tried scratching it with my fingernail and didn't

            leave any marks.

[...]

            dry and the slightly oversize fit allowed me to extend its wear into
            some of the winter season by wearing warm layers

            underneath.

            I have packed the jacket with me on all my backpacking trips since I
            received it, but I have only had to use it once to keep

            me dry in a light rain. It works well as a wind breaker and being
            able to layer under it makes it a good hardshell in a

            layering system. Most of my experience with it has been on the short
            hikes I take to exercise my dog Zeke and I believe these

            have been varied enough to give me a pretty good indication of how the
            jacket is going to perform in the long run.

            I was worried at first that the material was going to be easily ripped
            or punctured by the tree branches and thorn bushes

            that line the trails Zeke and I like to hike. My previous experience
            with rain gear has been an Army PVC parka, which while

            being quite durable is an absolute sweat box. I am happy to say the
            material has held up to all the wood's abuses in addition

            to dog claws and the friction of a long piece of static rope that I
            use for a dog lead. Also the breathability has been great

            with no accumulated sweat on the inside of the jacket even after
            strenuous hill climbing. The inside does stick to expose

            areas of skin when they have a sheen of sweat on them like on hot,
            humid days. This can be annoying when I move my arm and

            it drags along the inside of the sleeve. It does not inhibit motion
            though.

            The one true test of the jacket's waterproofness came when Zeke and I
            were caught in an open field as a thunderstorm with

            torrential rain came through. We had a good 20 minutes of solid rain
            where we just hunkered down and tried to keep as dry as

            possible. The temperatures were in the mid 40s F (~7 C) and I was glad
            only to get part my jeans soaked through. The jacket

            shed water like a champ and everything I could keep underneath it
            stayed bone dry.

            to have.

            Likes:
            1. Waterproof and breathable (no surprises)
            2. Durable
            3. Roomy cut for added layers, but not baggy

            Dislikes:
            1. Pockets a little too high to hold my hands
            2. Inside can get sticky when hot and humid
          • André Corterier
            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2007
              > EDIT: REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket

              Aaron,

              here are your edits for the second round. Nice job on the first round.
              Please see below.

              André
              OR Editor

              wrote:

              > L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket
              > Owner Review
              <snip>
              > I was worried at first that the material was going to be easily
              ripped
              > or punctured by the tree branches and thorn bushes
              >
              > that line the trails Zeke and I like to hike. My previous experience
              > with rain gear has been an Army PVC parka, which while
              >
              > being quite durable is an absolute sweat box. I am happy to say the
              > material has held up to all the wood's abuses in addition
              >
              > to dog claws and the friction of a long piece of static rope that I
              > use for a dog lead. Also the breathability has been great
              >
              > with no accumulated sweat on the inside of the jacket even after
              > strenuous hill climbing. The inside does stick to expose

              EDIT: exposed

              > areas of skin when they have a sheen of sweat on them like on hot,
              > humid days. This can be annoying when I move my arm and
              >
              > it drags along the inside of the sleeve. It does not inhibit motion
              > though.
              >
              > The one true test of the jacket's waterproofness came when Zeke and
              > were caught in an open field as a thunderstorm with
              >
              > torrential rain came through. We had a good 20 minutes of solid rain
              > where we just hunkered down and tried to keep as dry as
              >
              > possible. The temperatures were in the mid 40s F (~7 C) and I was
              glad
              > only to get part my jeans soaked through. The jacket

              EDIT: "a" part "of" my jeans ...

              > shed water like a champ and everything I could keep underneath it
              > stayed bone dry.

              layer
              > to have.
              >
              > Likes:
              > 1. Waterproof and breathable (no surprises)
              > 2. Durable
              > 3. Roomy cut for added layers, but not baggy
              >
              > Dislikes:
              > 1. Pockets a little too high to hold my hands
              > 2. Inside can get sticky when hot and humid

              Allright! Very nicely done.

              Now - about pictures. I believe I told you earlier that pictures
              are "strongly recommended" for Owner Reviews. What this means is that
              seeing as they are mandatory on test series and the entire point of
              this exercise is to get you ready for test series, I would really
              like you to make the effort to include a picture with this review. It
              doesn't matter if it's from the manufacturer's website or one taken
              yourself. Once you have that, please post again to this list and
              *include a link to your html version*. I am stressing this because on
              the test series, a posted text version does not count as having been
              posted unless it contains a link to the html version in the test
              folder. You might as well get used to it now.
              :-)
              Should you have any problems with uploading a picture, the folks at
              are there to help you.

              Of course, as it is only a suggestion, you do have the option of
              stating "no, that's it". In which case you just need to take care of
              the few above edits and repost that and I'll give you the go ahead to
              upload (and then you can have that discussion again with your next OR
              Editor).
              ;-)

              Anyway, good work so far. I'll be looking forward to your repost. It
              was good working with you.

              André
              OR Editor
            • a_m_kehrer
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 5, 2007
                OR-L. L. Bean Trail Model Jacket
                <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20L\
                .L.%20Bean%20Trail%20Model%20Jacket%20-%20Aaron%20Kehrer/>

                L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket
                Owner Review

                April 26, 2007

                Reviewer Information
                Name: Aaron Kehrer
                Age: 30
                Gender: Male
                Height: 6' 2" (1.88 Meters)
                Weight: 160 Pounds (73 Kilograms)
                Email address: aaron AT akehrer DOT com
                City: Ypsilanti
                State: Michigan
                Country: USA

                Backpacking Background: I have just begun backpacking in the last year
                in my native state of Michigan. I usually spend at least one to two
                nights out every couple of months including during the winter. I
                currently have my first full camping kit (tent, bag, pack) and am
                interested more in getting out there than counting ounces.

                Product Information
                Manufacturer: L. L. Bean
                Year of manufacture: 2006
                Web site: www.llbean.com
                Manufacturer's Weight: none given
                Actual Weight: 12 oz. (340 g)
                Size: Men's Large
                MSRP: $59.00

                Features Listed on Manufacturer's Website
                Made from TEK2.5 waterproof, breathable nylon fabric
                Taped seams
                Adjustable hood

                Product Description:
                I received a bright yellow L. L. Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket for a
                birthday present last year paired with a pair of their Trail Model Rain
                Pants. The jacket is a size large and is quite roomy on my frame, enough
[...]

                downpours and sleet. At all times it kept me dry and the slightly
                oversize fit allowed me to extend its wear into some of the winter
                season by wearing warm layers underneath.

                I have packed the jacket with me on all my backpacking trips since I
                received it, but I have only had to use it once to keep me dry in a
                light rain. It works well as a wind breaker and being able to layer
                under it makes it a good hardshell in a layering system. Most of my
                experience with it has been on the short hikes I take to exercise my dog
                Zeke and I believe these have been varied enough to give me a pretty
                good indication of how the jacket is going to perform in the long run.

                I was worried at first that the material was going to be easily ripped
                or punctured by the tree branches and thorn bushes that line the trails
                Zeke and I like to hike. My previous experience with rain gear has been
                an Army PVC parka, which while being quite durable is an absolute sweat
                box. I am happy to say the material has held up to all the wood's abuses
                in addition to dog claws and the friction of a long piece of static rope
                that I use for a dog lead. Also the breathability has been great with no
                accumulated sweat on the inside of the jacket even after strenuous hill
                climbing. The inside does stick to exposed areas of skin when they have
                a sheen of sweat on them like on hot, humid days. This can be annoying
                when I move my arm and it drags along the inside of the sleeve. It does
                not inhibit motion though.

                The one true test of the jacket's waterproofness came when Zeke and I
                were caught in an open field as a thunderstorm with torrential rain came
                through. We had a good 20 minutes of solid rain where we just hunkered
                down and tried to keep as dry as possible. The temperatures were in the
                mid 40s F (~7 C) and I was glad only to get a part my jeans soaked

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 8, 2007
                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "a_m_kehrer" <aaron@...>
                  wrote:

                  Hi Aaron,

                  good job! Everything tucked away on the second turnaround for your
                  first OR, every t crossed and every i dotted - good going! Thanks
                  for including that little picture - I thought "good god that thing
                  is YELLOW" and went to check your text again. Sure enough, you had
                  mentioned it's bright yellow but I guess it goes to show why we've
                  come to ask for pictures.

                  So - go ahead and upload to the folder I made for you, here:
                  http://tinyurl.com/36teux

                  Upload works just as it does in the test folder. Speaking of which,
                  please don't forget to delete the test folder version once you've
                  uploaded to the proper folder.

                  Allright - one down! Only one more to go before you can start
                  applying. And the way tests are being spaced right now, you'll be
                  able to start writing applications the moment you've uploaded the
                  second and have sent in your tester agreement.

                  So - get another OR into the queue! It'll be picked up just like
                  this one was, edited etc. Now may be a good time to download and
                  send in your tester agreement if you have not done so already,
                  and/or to take a look at our Bylaws, at
                  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=Bylaws&page=0
                  - again, if you have not done so already.

                  I trust you'll find the second to go a little faster than the first
                  (though not much). But it's worth it. Trust me.

                  André
                  OR Editor