Revised OR - GoLite Wisp - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2007
      Hi guys, I revised my OR, ther HTML may be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/2ex2bf

      GOLITE WISP
      BY RAYMOND ESTRELLA
      OWNER REVIEW
      April 20, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrella@...
      AGE: 46
      LOCATION: Huntington Beach California USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 205 lb (93.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and
      in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my brother-in-law Dave or fiancée Jenn.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: GoLite
      Web site: www.golite.com
      Product: Wisp
      Size: Extra Large
      Year manufactured: 2005
      MSRP: $50.00 (US)
      Weight listed: 3 oz (85 g) Weight measured 3.1 oz (88 g)
      Color reviewed: Grease (not offered any longer)
      Colors available: Avacodo, Burnt Orange and Lt Mediterranian Blue
      (shown below)
      Warranty: 100% Guarantee

      Product Description

      The Golite Wisp is a light-weight garment that the company calls "an
      ideal travel jacket or just-in-case wind shell". The company says
      that it can be used in a" wide range of activities in windy and or
      drizzly conditions".

      It is made of "WispHP", 22 denier polyester taffeta with a DWR
      treatment. It has a fine rip-stop pattern in it and it is very
      translucent. The material is very soft and silky feeling, much like
      the lining in a sleeping bag.

      The three in (7.5 cm) high collar is made of a triple thickness of
      the material and has a seven in (17.5 cm) long black nylon YKK zipper
      in the front of it going down onto the chest. The zipper is backed by
      1 in (2.5 cm) draft/water stop.

      On the left side of the chest the GoLite logo has been embroidered.
      The waist and wrists have elastic sewn in to them to help keep out
      the elements.

      Inside of the Wisp on the left side is a care tag. It reads, "hand
      wash, line dry in shade, no bleach, cool iron and do not dry clean".
      Just above the tag is a small pocket. This pocket can be used to self
      stow the Wisp. Once the jacket is stuffed in the pocket a flap goes
      over the top of the opening to close it. This exposes a short nylon
      loop meant to be clipped to a carabiner. GoLite says that it packs
      down to the size of an apple, which is true as can be seen here.

      Field Conditions

      The Wisp has been with me on many day-hikes and fastpacks all over
      southern California. I have had it with me for trips to the San
      Bernardino, San Jacinto, and Cleveland National Forests. I have worn
      it in temps down to 27 F (-3 C) The warmest temps it has been used
      (worn) at is only the high 40's F (8 C) as I am pretty warm blooded.
      (It has been carried in much warmer temps though.) It has been at
      high altitude a lot as I break it out when on windy peaks like San
      Gorgonio (11499'/m) and San Jacinto (10834'/m)

      I have had it in Utah in the Canyonlands National park. Temps there
      ranged from 35 to 70 F (2 to 21 C). Here is a picture of it on the
      top of San Jacinto.

      Observations

      I bought the Wisp in 2005 to mainly use as a lightweight rain coat
      for day hikes, and as the wind shirt that they position it as. I am
      so hot-blooded that I rarely need it for this purpose often.

      I use it on multi-day trips when I don't expect bad weather too. I
      have been bringing it on winter trips that I do not plan on needing
      an ice axe. (I would not want to have to slide down a slope with the
      Wisp. It is not made for that and does not deserve to be shredded
      during a self-arrest.) A memorable trip that I used it was a trip to
      San Gorgonio that saw temps plummet to 22 F (-6 C). It was still 27 F
      (-3 C) and very windy when I had to take off hiking. I put a
      lightweight Arcteryx top over my t-shirt and topped it off with the
      Wisp. It worked great.

      As it is usually very windy on the top of peaks, not to speak of the
      temps in spring-time or late fall. The Wisp is great to be able to
      pull out of the daypack or summit pack and wear as I have a top-of-
      the-world snack break or lunch, such as this break on the top of
      Jepson. As can be seen, it gets very wrinkled while stuffed into its
      little pocket. Maybe that's why they say to use a cool iron. I seem
      to have forgotten mine…

      In light rain the Wisp works quite well as my body heat will keep it
      dry inside. But the fabric will wet-out under heavy or long duration
      rain-fall. I will notice a very light amount of damp feel on the
      inside of the fabric. It works quite admirably for a lightweight
      alternative to a heavy dedicated raincoat. I wear a hat with it in
      the rain, and zip it all the way up to keep water from entering
      through the collar. Here is a picture of the fabric with water beaded
      up and running off. Notice that my arm can be seen through the WispHP
      fabric.

      On a hike with my fiancée, she wanted to cut her total weight a bit
      and was concerned about the weight of her technical shell. I told her
      if she could live with the XL size of my Wisp I would bring it along
      for her use, letting her leave the shell that weighed 5 times more.
      She was pretty enthusiastic saying, "Yes!" I may have to get her one
      in the future.

      I love how small it packs down. The pocket will not stay closed with
      the fabric flap though. With movement in my pack the material works
      itself out. Sometimes I will throw a rubber-band around it, other
      times I don't even stuff it but just shove it in my pack.

      The company recommends re-doing the DWR treatment periodically as it
      is affected by dirt and such. I have not at the time of this writing,
      but am going to do a few of my winter shells soon and will add the
      Wisp to the load.

      As far as the breathability claims, to me it is no more or less
      breathable than any of my other shells. I still get over-heated in it
      when hiking and take it off as soon as it stops raining or I get warm.

      It has held up very well for something so light. I have no holes,
      tears or separating seams on it yet. It is very tough too. I slipped
      off an icy trail in the San Bernardino Mountains and hit a tree
      branch. I thought for sure that I would need some McNett's repair
      tape, but the Wisp did not tear. My shoulder got a good scrape though.

      All things considered I really like the Wisp and plan to carry it for
      many trips to come. I wish that GoLite made the matching pants with
      side zippers, I would buy them too.