REPOST: OR- LEKI AirErgo Trekking Poles - Larry Kirschner

  • asklarry99
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 6, 2007
      Ray-

      Thanks for the edits.
      I have revised the review per your suggestions.
      The new version can be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/383t36

      The text is included at the end of this note.

      Cheers,

      -larry

      OWNER REVIEW
      Leki Ultralite Ti AirErgo Trekking Poles
      Date of Review: 27 March 2007

      Biographical information
      Name: Larry Kirschner
      Age: 42
      Gender: M Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      Weight: 200 lb (91 kg) and falling (I hope)
      Email address: asklarry98@...
      City, State, Country: Columbus, OH USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I've been an intermittent camper/paddler since my teens, but now that
      my kids are avid Boy Scouts, I've caught the backpacking bug. I
      typically do a few weekend hikes per year, and have recently spent 2
      weeks backpacking at the Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimmarron, New
      Mexico. I like to travel "in comfort", so I often pack a little
      heavier than needed, but I'm trying to cut down. With all of my
      investment into this trip, I expect my wife and I will continue to
      trek long after the kids are goneĀ…

      Product information
      Manufacturer: LEKI (www.leki.com)
      Model: Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS
      MSRP: US$149.95
      Year of manufacture: 2005
      Listed weight: 18.5 oz (524 g)
      Weight as delivered: 19 oz (540 g)
      Length (for use): 110 - 135 cm (43 - 53 in)
      Length (collapsed): 31 in (79 cm)

      Product Description
      LEKI Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS Trekking Poles are a 2-year old
      version of LEKI's current versions, but they have the advantage of
      having many of the features that were incorporated into newer
      versions. Specifically, these are lightweight aluminum poles that
      weigh 19 oz (for the pair), and feature a rubberized grip over a cork
      underlayer on the handle. There is an adjustable strap about the
      handle, which can be shortened or lengthened depending on hand/wrist
      size. The foam grip extends approximately 10 inches (25 cm) down the
      top of the shaft of the pole, providing extra gripping surface in the
      event of the need for shortened poles. The handle also has a positive
      angle (PA) for comfort while hiking. Other notable features of these
      poles include the soft anti-shock system (SAS) and the easy lock
      system for height adjustment. On the bottom, the they come with a
      carbide flextips and small baskets. The poles themselves have three
      sections, and the height is adjusted by the easy lock system, which
      is a screw-driven expanding gasket to hold the poles at the proper
      setting. The LEKI website and printed materials encourages users to
      disassemble the poles after usage for cleaning purposes. The poles
      come with a lifetime warranty covering shaft breakage.

      Field information
      I have used my Leki Ultralite Ti AirErgo Trekking Poles (which I will
      henceforth refer to as "Ti AirErgos") on multiple weekend hikes in
      Ohio, where the terrain tends to be comprised of muddy trails and
      soft camp areas. I have also taken these poles to the Philmont Scout
      Ranch in New Mexico, which has a wide variety of terrain including
      packed dirt, mud, rocky scree, and moderate-large rock scrambling.
      The weather was typically dry, but I've also done plenty of miles in
      the rain. The poles were mostly used for trekking, but have also
      doubled as shelter supports, tripod legs, and hat holder.

      When I am on the trail, I follow the advice from Pete's Pole Page and
      use the poles for rhythmic striding, where every step is accompanied
      by a pole plant. (As a side note, I highly recommend that everyone
      starting out using poles visit this page for guidance.) Compared to
      my style BP (before poles), I have found that I am able to cover much
      better distance with much less exertion. When I get to camp at night,
      my knees do not creak and moan, particularly after a downhill trek.
      Also, I appreciate the additional stability when hopping rock to rock
      for crossing streams, or just on rocky parts of the trail (again,
      particularly on the downhill slopes). The forward-tilted handles (now
      called the positive angle, or "PA" system) make a dramatic
      improvement on the comfort of the poles, such that I have never had
      any issues with my hands or shoulders after a day on the trail. The
      grip also has some contour to it, so that my hands easily fit.
      Although the anti-shock feature of the poles can be disabled, I have
      found in practice that I leave it on all the time. As I said, my back
      and knees appreciate the extra shock-damping on downhill runs, and it
      does not appreciably change the function of the poles on uphills or
      flat surfaces. The trade-off is that the spring in my poles tends to
      be a little squeaky, so it will frequently make a 'sproing'ing noise
      with every step. When I first got the poles, I didn't like the noise,
      but I soon became quite accustomed to it and now I hardly notice it.

      One thing that is nice about the Ti AirErgos is the fact that the
      shafts of the poles are marked in 5 cm increments from a range of 110-
      135 cm. This enabled me to easily reset the poles to the proper
      hiking height when they had been used for other purposes in the
      interim. Although I was a little worried about the stability of the
      easy lock system (ELS), I did not experience any troubles with the
      poles sliding once they had been properly fixed.

      In terms of other features, I found that the carbide tips supplied
      with the pole provided good stability on a variety of surfaces. The
      baskets prevented the tips from sinking into the mud in places where
      it was overly soft. Although this pole style has the long grips, I
      never actually slid my hand off the handle. As I used the pole strap
      quite extensively for leverage on the pole, I felt that using the
      extended grip would place all the burden on my grip, which seemed an
      unnecessary trade-off. I never really felt the need to slide my hand
      down (although this might have been my natural stubbornness, too.)

      Summary
      After hiking both without and with trekking poles, I can first say
      that I would never want to hike without them again! The LEKI
      Ultralite Ti AirErgo Trekking Poles provided excellent stability and
      function, at a fairly modest cost in weight.

      Things I like about the TiAirErgos:
      Lightweight
      Easily adjustable
      High quality anti-shock functioning
      Positive angle grip adds comfort
      Things I dislike about the TiAirErgos
      Squeaky sounds when anti-shock system engaged.

      Overall, I really love these poles, and would recommend them without
      reservation.
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 9, 2007
        Hi Larry,

        This looks good. Feel free to upload to this folder. Be sure to
        highlight the Owner Review button.

        http://tinyurl.com/2jh8u8

        Thank you for you review,

        Ray
      • laurence kirschner
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
          Hi Ray-

          I have uploaded the review, but the folder name is "LEKI Ultralite Ti
          AirErgo SAS PA 2003". I'm not sure if they are different from the poles used
          for the tests (I agree that the poles appear to be the same in the photos),
          but my poles are the 2005 version, at least according to the wrapper. In
          fact, I wasn't going to write an OR of this equipment, but when I saw that
          the prior reviews were from 2003, I thought it would be worthwhile.

          What do you think?

          -larry

        • laurence kirschner
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
            Hi Ray-

            I have uploaded the review, but the folder name is "LEKI Ultralite Ti
            AirErgo SAS PA 2003". I'm not sure if they are different from the poles used
            for the tests (I agree that the poles appear to be the same in the photos),
            but my poles are the 2005 version, at least according to the wrapper. In
            fact, I wasn't going to write an OR of this equipment, but when I saw that
            the prior reviews were from 2003, I thought it would be worthwhile.

            What do you think?

            -larry

            http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag3
          • rayestrella1
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
              Hi Larry,

              The poles from that test are the same as your poles. The features were
              introduced then. I did not want a bunch of the same reviews scattered
              all over the place.

              Thank you for checking with me though.