Arnold Peterson Please Read - Re: OR CMI Instep Crampon Tracking Dev

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007

      reviews before submission.

      Moderator.

      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Edit Administration Manager
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
        Hello Arnold,

        This is a nice job on your second review. Thanks for putting the HTML
        up at the same time. I will work from it, your initial edits will
        follow. They will take the following format;

        EDIT: must be changed

        Once you make the changes you can repost and put a new one in the
        test folder.

        Ray

        ***Canada using an 11 lb. (5 kg) day pack.

        EDIT: no period after lb

        ***I have backpacked on Mt. Washington and at the IMP shelter

        EDIT: you need to tell what IMP is. I have no idea, and many other
        readers may have the same problem. When you do this you will be over
        the 100 word limit for bios (you are already by just a tad) so you
        may want to tighten this up.

        ***My day hikes have been as long as 12 hours covering almost 20
        miles (32 km).

        Comment: cool, I am one of those crazy guys too.

        ***Manufacturer's Website: CMI

        EDIT: this needs to have the whole URL spelled out along with the
        hyperlink

        ***Listed Weight: 11.6 oz. (328 gm.)

        EDIT: no periods after oz and g (just g, not gm)

        *** which is coated with durable epoxy powder paint.

        EDIT: it is finished with an epoxy "powder-coat", this is not paint

        ***There is a tool built into the crampon to tighten the nut on the
        crampon thus eliminating the need for a tool if the nut becomes loose
        during use.

        Edit: …thus eliminating the need for a "separate" tool…

        ***Neoprene straps which are about 26 in. (66 cm.) long and about 0.5
        in (1.27 cm.) wide.

        EDIT: no periods after in and cm

        ***The points on the crampons are 1.25 in. (3.17 cm.) long

        EDIT: same thing

        ***I have used the CMI Instep crampon on 4 hikes in mountains

        EDIT: crampons

        *** in the 4-5 thousand foot (1219- 1524 m.) range. My day pack is
        about 12 lb. (5.44 kg.). The hikes ranged from 6 to 10 mi.(9.66 to
        16.1 km.)

        EDIT: please remove all periods after abbreviations
        Space needed between "10 mi" and "(9.66…"
      • al peterson
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
          Thank you for your edits. I should not have capitalized all the
          lettewrs in IMP. I have revised it to Imp Shelter as that is the
          name of the shelter. I have tightened the bio a bit.

          URL for revised OR report

          http://tinyurl.com/33wzpj

          text version

          CMI INSTEP CRAMPON Traction Device
          ARNOLD PETERSON
          OR
          March 28, 2007

          TESTER INFORMATION

          NAME: Arnold Peterson
          EMAIL: alp4982(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
          AGE: 68
          LOCATION: Wilmington Massachusetts USA
          GENDER: M
          HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
          WEIGHT: 165 lb (74.80 kg)
          BOOT SIZE 8.5

          Backpacking Background:

          At this time almost all my experience has been hiking in New
          Hampshire, Florida, Colorado USA, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia
          Canada using an 11 lb (5 kg) day pack. I have backpacked on Mt.
          Washington and Imp Shelter located between North Carter and Mount
          Moriah mountains in New Hampshire. The gear I will be writing about
          has been used a lot hiking mostly all year around in New Hampshire.
          I have recently completed the forty-eight 4000 footers (1219 m) of
          New Hampshire. My longest day hikes was 12 hours covering almost 20
          miles (32 km).

          PRODUCT INFORMATION

          Manufacturer: CMI
          Year of Manufacture: 2006
          Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.cmi-
          gear.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.cmi-gear.com">>
          MSRP: US $44.45
          Listed Weight: 11.6 oz (328 g)

          The CMI Instep crampon is designed to be a lightweight traction
          device. It provides stability for hikers on moderate inclinations on
          hard packed snow, ice and snow covered ice.

          Product Description

          The CMI Instep crampon is comprised of 2 formed steel parts joined by
          a screw and nut. The width of the crampon can be adjusted by
          inserting the screw into the appropriate hole thus providing a snug
          fit to the boot being used. The metal parts are made with 4130
          chrome-moly steel which is coated with durable epoxy powder coating.
          There is a tool built into the crampon to tighten the nut on the
          crampon thus eliminating the need for a seperate tool if the nut
          becomes loose during use. The metal is formed so that it slides
          firmly to the sides of the sole of the boot at the instep. In the
          opposite direction there are 4 points that serve as biting teeth.
          There are slots in the metal to hold 2 Neoprene straps which are
          about 26 in. (66 cm.) long and about 0.5 in (1.27 cm) wide. The
          straps look like a belt with a buckle on one end and holes on the
          other end. Each belt is inserted into slots in the metal parts of
          the crampon. They can be adjusted to accommodate the boot. The
          points on the crampons are 1.25 in (3.17 cm) long and are "V" shaped.

          FIELD USE

          I start carrying the CMI instep crampons as soon as icy or snow
          conditions are reported in the mountains. The CMI crampons are light
          and very easy to put on. To carry them I put the points toward each
          other and wrap the straps around them and then place the CMI crampons
          in a small plastic bag. They fit easily in my jacket pocket and are
          quickly available. When I feel I need more traction, out come the
          CMI Instep crampons. The CMI crampons come with straps on them. One
          set is longer than the other. I have the shorter strap engaged so
          that I can slip the toe part of my boot into the CMI crampon. I
          adjust the metal part of the CMI crampon to fit to the instep of the
          boot. I then pull on the front strap until it feels secure. The
          longer straps are engaged by moving them toward the heel part of the
          boot and circling the ankle and joining them at the front of the boot
          just above the shorter strap. I secure them firmly by pulling on the
          strap like putting the belt on my pants.

          I have used the CMI Instep crampons on 4 hikes in mountains in the 4-
          5 thousand foot (1219-1524 m) range. My day pack is about 12 lb
          (5.44 kg). The hikes ranged from 6 to 10 mi (9.66 to 16.1 km) At my
          age falling or even slipping is important to me. I felt quite secure
          wearing these CMI Instep crampons. I was able to keep up with better
          hikers that were wearing multi point crampons or snowshoes. I
          recently used snowshoes and noticed that I was noticeably slower.

          Care and maintenance

          When I take off my CMI Instep crampons, I hold them by the straps and
          shake them; this usually gets rid of most of the debris. Even though
          the Neoprene straps and the metal parts don't absorb much water, they
          may be slightly wet so I put them in a plastic bag before putting
          them in my pocket.

          SUMMARY

          CMI Instep Crampons are small, light, durable, quick and easy to put
          on.
          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Looking
          small">>
          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "mugsize">>
          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "toe ready">>
          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "buckles in
          front">>
          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "bottom">>
          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6" IMAGE CAPTION = "compare">>

          THINGS I LIKE

          The CMI Instep crampon is light, easy to put on. The traction for a
          4 point device is truly amazing. The CMI Instep Crampon is
          inexpensive and it fits in my jacket pocket for easy removal. After
          using the CMI Instep Crampon several times on ice and rock there is
          little evidence of wear and the only evidence of wear is the finish
          is worn in a few spots.

          THINGS I DON'T LIKE

          The first few steps on hard ice I felt as if I had stepped on a small
          branch. This made me feel slightly unstable, however I soon got over
          this feeling. I have used the CMI Instep crampon over Yaktraxs to get
          traction on the ball of my foot. My wish would be to have an added 1
          or 2 points for the ball of the foot.

          CMI Instep crampon is really a great traction device that is small
          light durable and inexpensive.

          Arnold Peterson

          Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
            OK Arnold this looks good I found a couple more things but once you
            fix them you can put it in the real folder! Here is where it will go;

            http://tinyurl.com/2ken6j

            Be sure to highlight the Owner Review button.

            As this is your second approved review, if you have submitted a Tester
            Agreement, for which see:

            20Agreement\%20Docs/

            that has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate in
            the testing process by applying for tests. If you have not sent your
            paperwork in, please do so at your earliest opportunity.

            For further details see

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

            You will also need to join:

            This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

            However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner
            Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing
            and this won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

            Congratulations!

            Raymond Estrella

            ***My longest day hikes was 12 hours covering almost 20 miles (32
            km).

            EDIT: My longest day "hike" was 12 hours… or, My longest day
            hikes "were" 12 hours…

            ***There are slots in the metal to hold 2 Neoprene straps which are
            about 26 in. (66 cm.)

            EDIT: delete periods after abbreviations