Owner Review - Nalgene 32 oz Wide Mouth Water Bottle - Hollis Easter

  • Hollis
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
      Friendly editing staff,

      Please find below my Owner Review of the ubiquitous Nalgene Bottle.
      Available in so many colo(u)rs it'd make Joseph's dream coat blush,
      this polycarbonate wonder will carry water like there's no tomorrow.

      I have uploaded the HTML version to
      http://tinyurl.com/2deps2 or
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Nalgene%2032%20oz%20Wide%20Mouth%20Bottle%20-%20Bottles/

      I look forward to hearing from you.

      Cheers,
      Hollis

      Nalgene 32 oz Wide Mouth Loop-Top Bottle - Water Bottles
      Owner Review
      April 2nd, 2007
      Quick navigation links:

      * Reviewer Information
      * Product Information
      * Field Information
      * Comments
      * Summary

      Front view of the 32 oz Nalgene bottle
      Reviewer Information:

      Name: Hollis Easter
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 0" (1.8 m)
      Weight: 205 lb (93 kg)
      Email address: backpackgeartestATholliseasterDOTcom
      City, State, Country: Potsdam, New York, USA
      Backpacking Background: I started hiking as a child in the Adirondack
      Mountains of New York. As a teenager, I hiked my way to an Eagle Scout
      award. These days, I'm mostly doing day hikes in the mountains. I hope
      to get back into doing longer trips soon. I'm also learning rock climbing.

      I am a midweight backpacker: I don't carry unnecessary gear, but
      neither do I cut the edges from my maps. I hike in all seasons, at
      altitudes from sea level to 5,300 ft (1,600 m), and in temperatures
      from -30 F (-34 C) to 100 F (38 C).
      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Nalge Corp. (current models by Thermo Fisher Scientific
      Inc.)
      Year of manufacture: circa 2001
      Listed weight: .33 lbs (5.3 oz) (150 g)
      Actual weight: .33 lbs (5.3 oz) (150 g)
      Listed volume: 32 fl oz (950 mL)
      Actual volume: 36.5 fl oz (1080 mL) filled to bottom of neck.
      MSRP: $9.50 US

      Product features:

      * Strong, durable polycarbonate (Lexan) construction
      * Dishwasher-safe
      * Leakproof cap never gets lost and screws on easily
      * Large opening easily accommodates ice cubes, etc.
      * Available in many colors "to brighten up anybody's gear"
      * Graduations on the side of the bottle for easy measuring
      * Withstands temperatures -211 F (-135) C to 275 F (135 C)

      Field information:

      Hiking locations used: I don't believe that location matters a great
      deal with water bottles; they seem relatively unaffected by altitude,
      trail conditions, and the like. However, I've had several of these
      bottles and they have accompanied me on every hike I've done in the
      last six years. That includes terrain both flat and mountainous, high
      and low elevation, in four countries (USA, Canada, Scotland, and Spain).

      Non-hiking locations used: My Nalgene bottles have carried water for
      me while kayaking, while attending classes, while performing on stage,
      while rehearsing, etc. Basically they've been my water bottles of
      choice under all circumstances.

      Weather conditions: Nalgene bottles, like the postmen of old, shrink
      from neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail. I have used them in
      bright sun and in cloud, in rain and snow, at temperatures as low as
      -10 F (-23 C) and as high as 110 F (43 C). As with location, weather
      conditions don't matter that much to water bottles except when they're
      used below freezing. Water has frozen in my bottles many times,
      without bursting them.

      Comments:

      I suspect that few items of "outdoor culture" are as familiar as the
      Nalgene bottle. Whether made from the currently-popular Lexan
      polycarbonate or the formerly ubiquitous HDPE, these bottles have been
      accompanying hikers as long as I can remember. They have also become
      required pieces of uniform kit for "outdoor chic", the new fashion
      style that involves wearing the finest of high-tech gear for
      backcountry jaunts to the corner store and epic treks to the mall.

      Nalgene bottles are everywhere. They're for sale in outdoor stores,
      but also in college bookstores, grocery stores, drug stores, and big
      box retailers. Why, then, has nobody reviewed them?

      Perhaps it's because they do an unremarkable but good job. While many
      pieces of gear have a range of positive and negative responses ("the
      stove worked perfectly except for that time it exploded", "the parka
      keeps me warm and dry but tends to ride up underneath my pack", etc.),
      a water bottle's success is basically binary: it either holds water or
      it doesn't.

      So why do I love my Nalgene bottles and refuse to give them up for PET
      plastic alternatives? Perhaps it's the bright colors that "brighten
      up" my gear. But really, there are a couple of factors that clinch it
      for me.

      I have never had a Nalgene bottle leak in all my years of using them.
      I once had a water bottle made by a competing brand split open along a
      seam, which was made even more inconvenient by the fact that it was
      cohabiting with my sleeping bag at the time. This has not been a
      problem with Nalgene bottles. The Lexan polycarbonate is extremely
      strong; even after dropping these bottles on rocks and floors and
      sidewalks, they remain watertight. Knock on wood, they will keep it up!

      The wide mouth on the bottle allows easy addition and removal of tea
      bags when I want to make tea in the bottle. This is particularly
      convenient in the winter, when I often take a full bottle of sweetened
      tea as a civilized energy drink. The wide mouth allows me to reach in
      with a spoon to extract the tea bags, and also allows me to add sugar
      without spilling. Close the lid, shake, and I'm set!
      Nalgene bottle showing the faded markings on the side
      Damage to the external markings

      Winter brings out another advantage of the Nalgene's cap. Whether
      because of its width or because of the ridges on the cap, the bottle
      is very easy to open and hold even with heavy winter gloves on. I
      appreciate this when it's well below freezing and the wind is gusting
      to 60 miles per hour (100 km per hour).

      The bottle is very easy to clean. I usually just rinse it out with
      water when I get home from a trip, and allow it to dry in the open
      air. If I've carried tea in the bottle, a quick wash with a bit of
      dish detergent cleans it fine, and leaves no lingering scents.

      I have no way to test the bottles to their rated thermal limits.
      However, I can attest that the bottles work fine when I pour boiling
      water into them in the winter, and when I put ice cubes in them during
      the summer. The boiling water capability significant extends their
      utility in the winter. Even with the boiling water treatment, my
      bottles still freeze at the end of a day in the mountains; without it,
      they'd freeze before the morning was out.

      The Lexan polycarbonate is impact-resistant. I have occasionally used
      a bottle to chip ice, and it doesn't show any marks. In the spirit of
      multiple-use items, I must point out that Nalgene bottles have served
      as my pillows on many nights--they fit the curve of my neck well
      enough to suffice, in a pinch.

      My one complaint about my Nalgene bottles pertains to their external
      markings. The bottle carries a volume graduation in both fluid ounces
      and milliliters along one side; the printing is very slightly raised.
      Over time, this marking always rubs off. The effect is particularly
      pronounced around the middle of the bottle, where I tend to grip it.
      This is no great loss, but it's mildly unfortunate.

      I have used Nalgene bottles for a long time. I love them, and even
      though I know I could save a few ounces by using cast-off soda bottles
      or hydration bladders, I remain a Nalgene user. Why? They never fail
      me. They are easy to use in all weather conditions, are functionally
      indestructible, and don't smell manky after I've used them for a long
      time. If I'm feeling lonely, I can look around and feel a frisson of
      belonging when I see identical bottles in the hands of all my fellow
      hikers.

      The Nalgene bottle does what a bottle should, and it does it well.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
          Hello Hollis,

          This is a nice job on your review. Thanks for putting the HTML up at
          the same time. I will work from it; your initial edits will follow.
          They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          Once you make the changes (and checked them in the test folder again)
          you can put it in it's new home here;

          http://tinyurl.com/yoalry

          Ray

          ***(current models by Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.)

          EDIT: this is not the case. Nalge is just a part of TFS now.

          ***Listed weight: .33 lbs (5.3 oz) (150 g)

          EDIT: where are you coming up with a listed weight? I can find no
          mention of one from the manufacturer.

          ***Product features:

          Since you are quoting the web site you should say so

          ***Why, then, has nobody reviewed them? Perhaps it's because they do
          an unremarkable but good job.

          EDIT: you are speculating here. You do not know how good of a job or
          how remarkable or not they have been for other people. Best to just
          stick to your own observations.

          ***made even more inconvenient by the fact that it was cohabiting
          with my sleeping bag at the time.

          EDIT: …it was cohabiting with "me in" my sleeping bag at the time.
        • Hollis
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
            Hi Ray,

            Thanks for the quick edit! I appreciate it. I've got a few responses
            to your editing; I include them below. Since they involve potential
            rewrites, I'll hold off on uploading to the bottles directory until I
            hear back from you.

            Current HTML is at http://tinyurl.com/2wwrnx .

            Thanks again,
            Hollis

            > ***(current models by Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.)
            >
            > EDIT: this is not the case. Nalge is just a part of TFS now.

            Sounds fine. How would you like me to quote the name? It's listed on
            their website as "Nalge Nunc International Corporation" (Contact Us
            page) and "NALGENE Outdoor Products" (History page).

            My own preference would be "Nalge Nunc International Corporation",
            because to use "NALGENE Outdoor Products" would mean uppercasing all
            the NALGENEs in the text, which smacks of shouting to my jaded
            internet eye.

            Thoughts? My particular bottle says both "NALGENE" and "Nalgene", for
            what it's worth.

            Shall I just take out the "current models by..." bit, in favor of
            whatever name you select?

            > ***Listed weight: .33 lbs (5.3 oz) (150 g)
            >
            > EDIT: where are you coming up with a listed weight? I can find no
            > mention of one from the manufacturer.

            I found it on their website, under Products -> Specifications and Care
            -> Bottle Weights:

            http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/technical/weights.html
            Item Number Description Weight (Empty)
            2178-Series Wide-Mouth, Loop-Top, Gray/Colored, Polycarbonate (PC)
            32oz. .33 lbs.

            I thought it a bit odd that they quote their weights in fractional
            pounds rather than ounces, but that's their prerogative. Since I was
            quoting from their page, I included it as .33 lbs in my review, and
            then provided translation into grams and ounces, thinking that ounces
            were more useful to weight-conscious hikers.

            > ***Product features:
            >
            > Since you are quoting the web site you should say so

            Fair play. I've made it "Product features: (from product website)". Cool?

            > ***Why, then, has nobody reviewed them? Perhaps it's because they do
            > an unremarkable but good job.
            >
            > EDIT: you are speculating here. You do not know how good of a job or
            > how remarkable or not they have been for other people. Best to just
            > stick to your own observations.

            I've rewritten that section, taking out a couple of paragraphs to make
            it flow.

            > ***made even more inconvenient by the fact that it was cohabiting
            > with my sleeping bag at the time.
            >
            > EDIT: …it was cohabiting with "me in" my sleeping bag at the time.

            I actually meant "cohabiting with my sleeping bag", since the accident
            in question occurred while both were riding in my pack. Since the
            wording was unclear enough to be confused, I've changed it to "packed
            next to my sleeping bag". Better?

            Thanks again for your edits!

            Hollis
          • rayestrella1
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
              Hi Hollis

              > ***(current models by Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.)
              >
              > EDIT: this is not the case. Nalge is just a part of TFS now.

              ***Sounds fine. How would you like me to quote the name?
              Shall I just take out the "current models by..." bit, in favor of
              whatever name you select?

              Yeah that is great, I just did not want the TFS name as they are not
              making the current models, it is still Nalge. They just own Nalge now.

              > EDIT: where are you coming up with a listed weight? I can find no
              > mention of one from the manufacturer.

              ***I found it on their website, under Products -> Specifications and
              Care - Bottle Weights:

              Very good digging. It is all good.

              The thing about the decimal is just that they like a "0" before the
              decimal point. So .33 lb would be 0.33 lb, or .75 miles would be 0.75
              miles. That is all. Sorry I was confusing. (I had the same edit
              myself a couple of times.) You are still good to go after your
              changes. I will take a look at the final after upload but you are on
              top of it.

              Thanks for your work on it.