Repost Owner Review: Columbia Bugabootoo Boots - Joanne Walker

  • hispixie1974
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
      Kathy, thanks for your editing help. I did request a mentor -
      twice - but I have had no response to my emails. So, I remain
      unmented. If I had a mentor and they quit, would I then be
      demented? If you could reach Jennifer, I would appreciate it.

      The ReportWriter is nice, but I still prefer my secretary - she
      returns my handwritten scrawls neatly edited and formatted along
      with a fresh cup of coffee!

      As I anticipate many more corrections, I have not uploaded the file.

      Columbia Bugabootoo Boots
      BY JOANNE WALKER
      Owner Report
      April 2, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Joanne Walker
      EMAIL: raymondmom AT msn DOT com
      AGE: 50
      LOCATION: Moreno Valley, California
      GENDER: f
      HEIGHT: 5' 2" (1.57 m)
      WEIGHT: 160 lb (72.60 kg)

      I'm a city girl. I never slept in a tent or wore a backpack until
      nine years ago. I became involved in Cub Scouting and it's been
      uphill ever since! We camp about 40 to 50 nights a year in locales
      ranging from a primitive Baja beach to the Sierras to Southwest
      deserts. I also enjoy paddling and the occasional geocache. This
      year, my plan is to begin backpacking. Looking at the contents of my
      garage, I realize that I need a 12 step program for gear addicts.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Columbia Bugabootoo Women's Boots

      Columbia Sportswear Company
      Year of Manufacture: Fall 2006
      Model: Bugabootoo
      Available colors: swiss/blush, flax/cornmeal, stone/starlight,
      white/blues
      Color tested: white/ blues
      Upper Materials: Nubuck and Full-Grain Leather
      Sole: Omni-Grip
      Insulation: 200 g Thermolite
      Temperature Rating: -25 F (-32 C)
      Columbia Size: Women's 7
      My Normal Boot Size: Women's 8 wide
      Manufacturer's Weight: n/a
      Actual Weight: 3 lb 2 oz (1.4 kg)
      MSRP: n/a

      From the manufacturer's website:
      Fabrics and Features
      • UPPER: Waterproof nubuck or full-grain leather. Seam-sealed
      construction. Gusseted tongue. HARDWARE: Rustproof metal ghillies
      and nylon top hook. INSULATION: 200g Thinsulate™ . Rated -25F/-32C.
      INSOLE : ThermaShield™ frost plug. SHELL: Injection molded rubber
      with snowshoe binding lip. MIDSOLE: Die-cut EVA. OUTSOLE: Non-
      marking Omni-Grip® rubber compound with minimal loading lug tread
      pattern.

      The primary reason I purchased these boots is because they are a
      pretty color that matched my snowshoe outfit. The secondary reason
      is that they have a snowshoe lip to prevent the snowshoe binding
      from slipping off the heel of the boot.
      I ordered a size 8, the boots are marked 7, but fit like a size 9.

      Product Description
      The Bugabootoo boots are cute. Picture a pair of strappy, silk,
      Jimmy Choo sandals. Ok, they're not that cute! Imagine an old
      fashioned pair of rubber galoshes instead.
      The sole and base half of the boot are constructed of a black
      synthetic material. The sole measures 10 3/4 in (27 cm) long by 4
      1/4 in (11 cm) at the widest point. The treads are 1/8 in (.3 cm)
      long in a pattern that varies in height and thickness. The black
      synthetic material extends approximately 3 in (8 cm) high and
      appears to be molded. The instep consists of an attractive clear
      white leather of about 3 1/4 in (8 cm) width. The lacing system
      consists of a set of three metal D rings and two plastic hooks. The
      laces are pale blue and white, round with plastic aglet. The tongue
      consists of a 3 1/2 in (9 cm) white leather strip sewn to a blue
      fabric piece measuring 6 1/4 (16 cm) by 3 in (8 cm). It is gusseted
      up to the ankle. From the base of the boot heel to the top of the
      collar measures 7 1/4 in (18 cm). There are medium blue suede
      inserts around the collar. The snowshoe lip is 3 in (8 cm) up from
      the sole. The interior of the boot from the heel to the collar
      measures 5 1/4 in (13 cm), giving the height height as 2 in (5 cm).
      The interior of the boot is lined with a nice, soft polyester
      fleece. There is one possible friction point at the heel seam. The
      collar has a cushiony foam feel. The blue removable foam inserts
      are 1/8 in (.3 cm) thick.

      FIELD USE AND CONDITIONS

      I wore these boots during the months of January, February and March
      of 2007 in Kings Canyon, Sequoia and Bryce Canyon National Parks.
      The elevations ranged from 5500 feet (1676 m) to 7500 feet ( 2286 m)
      and temperatures ranged from 25 F to 65 F (-4 C to 18 C). The
      terrain varied from paved, ice covered, snow of varying depth, red
      dirt to mud. I wore them with and without snowshoes on both level
      ground and on moderately strenuous ascents and descents. The boots
      were worn with my favorite Smartwool socks from between one hour to
      six hours, with and without a heavy day pack.
      The boots were broken in with an hour walk in Grant's Grove,
      Kings Canyon, Ca. The temperature was hovering around freezing (32
      F / 0 C) and there were patches of ice on the trail. Although I
      slipped often, I did not fall. The boots were comfortable and my
      feet remained warm and dry without any sore spots. The second day's
      hike was five miles (8 km) and lasted four hours. There was snow
      and ice on the ground, but not enough for snowshoes. The
      temperature was a bit warmer. I felt secure and my feet remained
      comfortable.
      The next trip was snowshoeing in February in Sequoia National
      Park. I wore the boots three days in a row. The snow was soft and
      wet and I postholed to my knees on occasion, that is the boots were
      completely immersed in wet snow. I had left my gaiters in the
      truck, but wore my water repellent pants over the boots. The
      temperature ranged from 30 to 50 F (-1 to 28 C). The second day
      was even warmer and the snow melted from the trees and it was very
      wet. I fell a few times as well - just to test the boots, of
      course! My feet remained comfortable, warm and dry. My socks were
      not moist at all and I wore the same pair each day. The boots are
      supportive as neither my plantar fascitis nor my arthritis bothered
      me during the trip. The boots fit nicely into the snowshoe bindings
      and the snowshoe lip helped keep the binding from slipping off my
      heel.
      The temperature was above normal on the last trip and the
      snow had melted in Bryce Canyon, leaving some nice orange mud
      behind. I wore the boots for five hours in 50 to 70 F (28 to 21 C)
      temperatures. My feet did not overheat and remained dry. Although
      lightweight trail runners would have been appropriate for the day, I
      was comfortable in the boots and had no complaints other than they
      were more substantial than was necessary.

      Accessories

      The Bugabootoo boots have removable footbeds and I easily removed
      the footbed and effortlessly replaced it with a Shockdoctor
      footbed. I could also fit a small size Yaktrax over the sole of the
      boot. However, I did not find it necessary to use either accessory
      as I felt the boots provided adequate support and traction.

      THINGS I LIKE

      I appreciated that the boots were so very comfortable. I liked the
      snowshoe lip as it did keep the snowshoes from falling off my feet.
      I was happy to have dry feet both when I walked in wet snow or cold
      puddles and when the warm temperatures would've caused my feet to
      perspire. I enjoyed the lightheartedness of the colors available
      instead of only somber tans and I am considering buying a second
      pair of Bugabootoos in pink.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      When my fingers were cold and stiff, I found it difficult to unlace
      the boots. I would prefer the boots to be a bit lighter and
      sleeker, if possible without sacrificing performance.

      CONCLUSION

      These met my needs and exceeded my expectations. I found the boots
      to be versatile enough to meet moderate winter conditions and I
      unhesitatingly chose them for daily wear. I plan on purchasing
      additional pairs in the future.

      Joanne Walker
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
        On 03/04/07, hispixie1974 <raymondmom@...> wrote:

        > Kathy, thanks for your editing help. I did request a mentor -
        > twice - but I have had no response to my emails. So, I remain
        > unmented. If I had a mentor and they quit, would I then be
        > demented? If you could reach Jennifer, I would appreciate it.

        Hi

        I believe Jennifer is OOP (Out of Pocket - Away) at present so there may be
        a delay in her replying.

        Regards
        Andrew, Sir