EDIT: OR- LEKI AirErgo Trekking Poles - Larry Kirschner

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hi Larry,

      Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They
      will take the following format;

      EDIT: must be changed

      When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
      to the subject line. Also update the HTML file in the test folder
      please.

      Nice review, good pictures.

      Ray

      ***Leki Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS Trekking Poles

      EDIT: you need to put "Owner Review" somewhere. Maybe right under
      this. And I think you can leave the "PA AS" off the title.

      ***Specifically, this is a titanium pole

      EDIT: they are actually aluminum. And as it is a pair it should
      be "these are aluminum poles"

      ***and weighs 19 oz., and features a rubberized grip over a cork
      underlayer on the handle.

      EDIT: no period after oz
      Do the poles weigh 19 oz each or as a pair?

      ***On the bottom, the poles comes with a carbide flextip and a small
      basket.

      EDIT: you keep jumping from plural to singular. The poles "come" with
      carbide "flextips" and "small baskets".

      You need to go through the entire review and change to one form or
      the other please.

      ***I follow the advice from Pete's Pole Page

      EDIT: you need to remove the link to the page

      ***(As a side note, I highly recommend that everyone starting out
      using poles visit this page for guidance)

      EDIT: need a period after guidance

      ***but it is evident to me why LEKI is a leader in the industry.

      EDIT: we are not supposed to make statements like this. We test poles
      for many companies and should leave these remarks to their marketing
      teams, not our reviews.
    • asklarry99
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 6, 2007
        Ray-

        Thanks for the edits.
        I have revised the review per your suggestions.
        The new version can be found here:
        http://tinyurl.com/383t36

        The text is included at the end of this note.

        Cheers,

        -larry

        OWNER REVIEW
        Leki Ultralite Ti AirErgo Trekking Poles
        Date of Review: 27 March 2007

        Biographical information
        Name: Larry Kirschner
        Age: 42
        Gender: M Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
        Weight: 200 lb (91 kg) and falling (I hope)
        Email address: asklarry98@...
        City, State, Country: Columbus, OH USA

        Backpacking Background:
        I've been an intermittent camper/paddler since my teens, but now that
        my kids are avid Boy Scouts, I've caught the backpacking bug. I
        typically do a few weekend hikes per year, and have recently spent 2
        weeks backpacking at the Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimmarron, New
        Mexico. I like to travel "in comfort", so I often pack a little
        heavier than needed, but I'm trying to cut down. With all of my
        investment into this trip, I expect my wife and I will continue to
        trek long after the kids are goneĀ…

        Product information
        Manufacturer: LEKI (www.leki.com)
        Model: Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS
        MSRP: US$149.95
        Year of manufacture: 2005
        Listed weight: 18.5 oz (524 g)
        Weight as delivered: 19 oz (540 g)
        Length (for use): 110 - 135 cm (43 - 53 in)
        Length (collapsed): 31 in (79 cm)

        Product Description
        LEKI Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS Trekking Poles are a 2-year old
        version of LEKI's current versions, but they have the advantage of
        having many of the features that were incorporated into newer
        versions. Specifically, these are lightweight aluminum poles that
        weigh 19 oz (for the pair), and feature a rubberized grip over a cork
        underlayer on the handle. There is an adjustable strap about the
        handle, which can be shortened or lengthened depending on hand/wrist
        size. The foam grip extends approximately 10 inches (25 cm) down the
        top of the shaft of the pole, providing extra gripping surface in the
        event of the need for shortened poles. The handle also has a positive
        angle (PA) for comfort while hiking. Other notable features of these
        poles include the soft anti-shock system (SAS) and the easy lock
        system for height adjustment. On the bottom, the they come with a
        carbide flextips and small baskets. The poles themselves have three
        sections, and the height is adjusted by the easy lock system, which
        is a screw-driven expanding gasket to hold the poles at the proper
        setting. The LEKI website and printed materials encourages users to
        disassemble the poles after usage for cleaning purposes. The poles
        come with a lifetime warranty covering shaft breakage.

        Field information
        I have used my Leki Ultralite Ti AirErgo Trekking Poles (which I will
        henceforth refer to as "Ti AirErgos") on multiple weekend hikes in
        Ohio, where the terrain tends to be comprised of muddy trails and
        soft camp areas. I have also taken these poles to the Philmont Scout
        Ranch in New Mexico, which has a wide variety of terrain including
        packed dirt, mud, rocky scree, and moderate-large rock scrambling.
        The weather was typically dry, but I've also done plenty of miles in
        the rain. The poles were mostly used for trekking, but have also
        doubled as shelter supports, tripod legs, and hat holder.

        When I am on the trail, I follow the advice from Pete's Pole Page and
        use the poles for rhythmic striding, where every step is accompanied
        by a pole plant. (As a side note, I highly recommend that everyone
        starting out using poles visit this page for guidance.) Compared to
        my style BP (before poles), I have found that I am able to cover much
        better distance with much less exertion. When I get to camp at night,
        my knees do not creak and moan, particularly after a downhill trek.
        Also, I appreciate the additional stability when hopping rock to rock
        for crossing streams, or just on rocky parts of the trail (again,
        particularly on the downhill slopes). The forward-tilted handles (now
        called the positive angle, or "PA" system) make a dramatic
        improvement on the comfort of the poles, such that I have never had
        any issues with my hands or shoulders after a day on the trail. The
        grip also has some contour to it, so that my hands easily fit.
        Although the anti-shock feature of the poles can be disabled, I have
        found in practice that I leave it on all the time. As I said, my back
        and knees appreciate the extra shock-damping on downhill runs, and it
        does not appreciably change the function of the poles on uphills or
        flat surfaces. The trade-off is that the spring in my poles tends to
        be a little squeaky, so it will frequently make a 'sproing'ing noise
        with every step. When I first got the poles, I didn't like the noise,
        but I soon became quite accustomed to it and now I hardly notice it.

        One thing that is nice about the Ti AirErgos is the fact that the
        shafts of the poles are marked in 5 cm increments from a range of 110-
        135 cm. This enabled me to easily reset the poles to the proper
        hiking height when they had been used for other purposes in the
        interim. Although I was a little worried about the stability of the
        easy lock system (ELS), I did not experience any troubles with the
        poles sliding once they had been properly fixed.

        In terms of other features, I found that the carbide tips supplied
        with the pole provided good stability on a variety of surfaces. The
        baskets prevented the tips from sinking into the mud in places where
        it was overly soft. Although this pole style has the long grips, I
        never actually slid my hand off the handle. As I used the pole strap
        quite extensively for leverage on the pole, I felt that using the
        extended grip would place all the burden on my grip, which seemed an
        unnecessary trade-off. I never really felt the need to slide my hand
        down (although this might have been my natural stubbornness, too.)

        Summary
        After hiking both without and with trekking poles, I can first say
        that I would never want to hike without them again! The LEKI
        Ultralite Ti AirErgo Trekking Poles provided excellent stability and
        function, at a fairly modest cost in weight.

        Things I like about the TiAirErgos:
        Lightweight
        Easily adjustable
        High quality anti-shock functioning
        Positive angle grip adds comfort
        Things I dislike about the TiAirErgos
        Squeaky sounds when anti-shock system engaged.

        Overall, I really love these poles, and would recommend them without
        reservation.
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 9, 2007
          Hi Larry,

          This looks good. Feel free to upload to this folder. Be sure to
          highlight the Owner Review button.

          http://tinyurl.com/2jh8u8

          Thank you for you review,

          Ray
        • laurence kirschner
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
            Hi Ray-

            I have uploaded the review, but the folder name is "LEKI Ultralite Ti
            AirErgo SAS PA 2003". I'm not sure if they are different from the poles used
            for the tests (I agree that the poles appear to be the same in the photos),
            but my poles are the 2005 version, at least according to the wrapper. In
            fact, I wasn't going to write an OR of this equipment, but when I saw that
            the prior reviews were from 2003, I thought it would be worthwhile.

            What do you think?

            -larry

          • laurence kirschner
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
              Hi Ray-

              I have uploaded the review, but the folder name is "LEKI Ultralite Ti
              AirErgo SAS PA 2003". I'm not sure if they are different from the poles used
              for the tests (I agree that the poles appear to be the same in the photos),
              but my poles are the 2005 version, at least according to the wrapper. In
              fact, I wasn't going to write an OR of this equipment, but when I saw that
              the prior reviews were from 2003, I thought it would be worthwhile.

              What do you think?

              -larry

              http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag3
            • rayestrella1
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
                Hi Larry,

                The poles from that test are the same as your poles. The features were
                introduced then. I did not want a bunch of the same reviews scattered
                all over the place.

                Thank you for checking with me though.