OR - GSI Outdoors TEKK Lexan Cutlery Set - Eric Olsen

  • arcticsummit
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
      I just had so much fun doing my first 2 OR's that I whipped out a
      3rd. It is at the following link:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%
      20GSI%20Outdoors%20TEKK%20Cutlery%20Set%20-%20Eric%20Olsen/

      GSI Outdoors TEKK Lexan Cutlery Set
      BY ERIC OLSEN
      OR
      March 31, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Eric Olsen
      EMAIL: eric.m.olsen at gmail dot com
      AGE: 28
      LOCATION: Provo, Utah, United States
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 180 lb (81.60 kg)

      Backpacking Background: Grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska spending about 5-
      7 nights a year camping with my family. From age 12 until I was 18 I
      spent about 14 nights a year camping on my own or with other Boy
      Scouts, mostly in the summer. I have lived the last 10 years Utah
      and have spent about 10 nights a year in all seasons both hiking and
      camping with friends. These nights are split mostly between short
      ultralight and ultra-heavy car camping trip. I am a frugal consumer
      and like to get the most bang for my buck.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Utensils on
      ring">>Manufacturer: GSI Outdoors
      "http://www.gsioutdoors.com" LINK TEXT = "www.gsioutdoors.com">>
      MSRP: US $2.50
      Listed Weight: .7 oz (20 g)
      Listed Size: 5.25 in (13 cm)
      Measured Weight: Full Set =.8 oz (23 g). Fork = .2 oz (6 g). Knife
      =.3 oz (9 g). Spoon = .25 oz (7 g). O-ring = .05 oz (1 g).
      Measured Size: Fork = 5.875 in (15 cm). Knife = 6.25 in (16 cm).
      Spoon = 5.875 in (15 cm). O-ring = 1.25 in (3 cm) diameter.
      Other details: Color: Glacier Blue. Eggshell is also available.

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The TEKK Ring Set is made of polycarbonate (also known as Lexan) and
      comes with 4 pieces (3 utensils and an o-ring to keep them
      together). The o-ring seems to be made of a different plastic but I
      am not sure what. The handles for each of the utensils are slightly
      oval in cross section making a comfortable grip. The knife is
      serrated. The fork has 4 tines. The spoon holds 1.25 tspn. (6 ml).
      The fork and spoon have "GSI Outdoors" molded into the handles very
      lightly.

      Please note: GSI Outdoors makes a variety of deferent polycarbonate
      utensils in both sets and individually and come in different sizes.
      This set was harder to find to get the manufacturers specifications
      than some of the other sets but I expect the others will be very
      similar if not better from subsequent improvements.

      FIELD INFORMATION

      Though field conditions have had no noticeable effects on the
      performance of these utensils they are included for thoroughness. I
      have used the utensils in all seasons and in a variety of field
      conditions from forest to desert to rocky canyon and snow.
      Temperatures have ranged from 25 F (-4 C) to 100 F (38 C).
      Occasionally, some wind was encountered but had no effect on the
      function of the utensils, and they are not too light as to be blow
      away in normal wind.

      FIELD USE

      I have used these utensils on several trips and outings. These trips
      include ultralight trips, car camping and picnics. They are used for
      eating and associated food preparation. They have not been used
      directly in fire, flame or coals.

      The knife has been used for the typical uses that a utensil knife is
      used for. This includes cutting meat, potatoes, and whatever else I
      have for dinner. The serrations help it cut pretty well, however
      cutting through some tougher foods, like meat that got a little
      overcooked and dry, required a little bit of sawing to get through.
      In short, most foods cooked right were not a problem for the knife.
      I have used the knife for about 8 meals (all dinner) and the
      serrations do not show any signs of wear. I have not abused the
      knife trying to cut things that it was not intended for like rope or
      wood or such things reserved for metal knives.

      The spoon has been used more than the knife as it is used for almost
      every breakfast and also for a lot of lunches and dinners. I use it
      mostly for instant oatmeal and stirring up hot chocolate or other
      things. It can be used for scooping up scrambled eggs and such. The
      spoon is big enough for food with some consistancy to them but pretty
      small for soups. So it would be okay with stews but small for
      soups. The spoon has been used mostly for individual use, not for
      dishing up food. It can be used for such but because of the small
      size I usually end up using it to help "pour" food out of a pot or
      pan.

      The fork is used mainly for more elaborate breakfast than my norm
      (eggs, sausage, pancakes) and for dinners. It works well for both
      turning sausages in a pan, eating eggs, and stabbing the meat,
      potatoes and carrots in a tinfoil dinner. It does struggle a bit
      with the carrots in the foil dinner if they do not get cooked very
      well.

      Overall the utensils have worked well in a variety of situations.
      They still show no signs of wear from use so I expect they will hold
      up for a long time to come.

      THINGS I LIKE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "4 separate
      pieces">>Some of my favorite things about these utensils:
      *Polycarbonate / Lexan is very strong. I have had no fear of breaking
      them. Also they will not melt in boiling water.
      *They have a good feel to them. The rounded handles are comfortable.
      *Super light - Under an ounce is hard to beat without shifting to
      a "spork" or eliminating the knife but I like having my utensils
      separate.
      *Cost - I like good products that are cheap. At under USD $3 they
      are about 1/3 the cost of titanium (the main other ultralight option)
      *The plastic will not scratch pots.
      *They are easy to clean. All edges except the serrated knife are
      rounded enough to keep much from sticking to them.
      *The knife cuts well despite being made of plastic. The serration
      actually lets me cut better in some things than my non-serrated
      pocketknife.
      *I like the color. Not a huge deal but I like it.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Very little to complain about here but a few things:
      *They are on the smaller end of utensils. About the same size of
      cheap picnic-type utensils. GSI Outdoors does make virtually the same
      product in larger sizes.
      * The included o-ring snaps shut but the snap mechanism only allows
      the utensils to be removed on one side of the ring.
      * The utensils could nest a bit better with each other. I hesitate to
      mention this because it is 1)not a big deal at all and 2)I like the
      shape they are right now and making them nest better would have to
      change the shape.
      * Although they do function well, (cutting, skewering, scooping) if
      meat is overcooked or vegetables undercooked they do struggle a bit.
      I do not blame them for this, just my cooking.

      SUMMARY

      Lexan / polycarbonate is a great material for utensils as it is super
      strong, very light, will not scratch cookware and is relatively
      inexpensive. Between the material and the overall design (shape,
      size, function) of these utensils I find these utensils very well
      suited for ultralight backpacking. If weight was not an issue I
      might go for a slightly larger set.

      SIGNATURE

      Eric Olsen
      www.thearcticsummit.com

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
        At 10:52 PM 2/04/2007, you wrote:
        >I just had so much fun doing my first 2 OR's that I whipped out a
        >3rd. It is at the following link:

        Eric you may need to talk to Ray :-)

        Andrew
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@...>
          wrote:

          > Eric you may need to talk to Ray :-)

          Yeah I had so much fun I whipped out my thirtieth...

          Jenn has asked me very nicely to cut down to just one for the OR call a
          month.

          By the way, what is the call for April Andrew?

          Ray
        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
            Hi Ray

            Boy you are slave driver :-) Will get this sorted tonight or tomorrow.
            Promise.

            Andrew

            On 03/04/07, rayestrella1 <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > Jenn has asked me very nicely to cut down to just one for the OR call a
            > month.
            >
            > By the way, what is the call for April Andrew?
            >
            > Ray

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2007

              reviews before submission.

              Moderator.

              will use APPROVED in the subject line.

              the list or contact me directly.

              Edit Administration Manager
            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2007
                Or head to the BGT addicts support group!!! Oh wait you are here,
                nevermind. :)

                jamie

                > >I just had so much fun doing my first 2 OR's that I whipped out a
                > >3rd. It is at the following link:
                >
                > Eric you may need to talk to Ray :-)
                >
                > Andrew

              • rayestrella1
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 5, 2007
                  Hello Eric,

                  This is a nice job on your third review. Thanks for putting the HTML
                  up at the same time. I will work from it; your initial edits will
                  follow. They will take the following format;

                  EDIT: must be changed

                  Once you make the changes you can repost and put a new one in the
                  test folder.

                  Ray

                  ***Listed Weight: .7 oz (20 g)

                  EDIT: when using fractional number we are asked to put a 0 before the
                  decimal point. So this should be "0.7" oz, same thing with all
                  instances please.

                  ***The spoon holds 1.25 tspn. (6 ml).

                  EDIT: the abbreviation for teaspoon is "tsp" and no period after it

                  ***GSI Outdoors makes a variety of deferent polycarbonate utensils

                  EDIT: different

                  ***This set was harder to find to get the manufacturers
                  specifications than some of the other sets but I expect the others
                  will be very similar if not better from subsequent improvements.

                  EDIT: this is speculation and projection, unless you buy them and
                  know it to be the case this should be left out

                  ***some wind was encountered but had no effect on the function of the
                  utensils, and they are not too light as to be blow away in normal
                  wind.

                  EDIT: some wind was encountered but had no effect on the function of
                  the utensils "as" they are not "so" light as to be "blown" away in
                  normal wind.

                  ***The knife has been used for the typical uses that a utensil knife
                  is used for.

                  Edit: that is a lot of "use"s, you may want to say the
                  typical "things that a knife"…

                  ***The spoon is big enough for food with some consistancy to them

                  EDIT: consistency, and I think you mean "with thicker consistency" as
                  even soup has consistency. (Less than stew but more than water…)

                  ***The fork is used mainly for more elaborate breakfast than my norm
                  (eggs, sausage, pancakes) and for dinners.

                  EDIT: "breakfasts", and you may want to put the (eggs, sausage,
                  pancakes) after "breakfasts" as the way it is now it says that they
                  are your norm.

                  ***Super light - Under an ounce is hard to beat

                  EDIT: metric conversion needed
                • Ralph Ditton
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 5, 2007
                    Hello Ray,

                    I helped Eric with some of this report as I am his mentor.

                    According to my wife and her cookbooks, teaspoon can be abbreviated as tspn
                    or tsp. Most of the cookbooks here add the p.

                    Out of interest our tablespoon (tbpn) equals 20 ml whereas the American tbpn
                    equals 15 ml. The tspn in both countries equals 5 ml.

                    Either is acceptable.

                    Cheers

                    Ralph

                    _____

                    EDIT: the abbreviation for teaspoon is "tsp" and no period after it

                    ,___

                  • rayestrella1
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 6, 2007
                      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Ditton" <rdassetts@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hello Ray,
                      >
                      > I helped Eric with some of this report as I am his mentor.
                      >
                      > According to my wife and her cookbooks, teaspoon can be abbreviated
                      as tspn
                      > or tsp.

                      Hi Ralph,

                      Good work with Eric, he did a very good job on his review.

                      The BGT Converter and my cookbooks use tsp for it, and tbsp for
                      tablespoon. No n's that I find. Maybe it is a down-under thing?

                      Ray
                    • Ralph Ditton
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 6, 2007
                        Hi Ray,

                        Ummm, maybe it is. We tend to borrow (copy) a lot from the Poms so they may
                        also use the same abbreviation.

                        Maybe Ted might know. It is no big deal.

                        Thanks for the kind words. Eric is a pleasure to mentor.

                        Cheers

                        Ralph

                        _____

                        <snip>

                      • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 6, 2007
                          Tablespoon usually has a capital T in the abbreviation. tsp for teaspoon
                          is appropriate.

                          Jet