OR CMI Instep Crampon Tracking Dev Arnold Peterson

  • al peterson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
      URL for CMI Instep crampon tracxking device

      http://tinyurl.com/33wzpj

      CMI INSTEP CRAMPON Traction Device
      ARNOLD PETERSON
      OR
      March 28, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Arnold Peterson
      EMAIL: alp4982(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
      AGE: 68
      LOCATION: Wilmington Massachusetts USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 165 lb (74.80 kg)
      BOOT SIZE 8.5

      Backpacking Background:

      At this time almost all my experience has been hiking in New
      Hampshire, Florida, Colorado USA, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia
      Canada using an 11 lb. (5 kg) day pack. I have backpacked on Mt.
      Washington and at the IMP shelter located between North Carter and
      Mount Moriah mountains in New Hampshire. The gear I will be writing
      about has been used a lot hiking mostly all year around in New
      Hampshire. I have recently completed the forty-eight 4000 footers
      (1219 m) of New Hampshire. My day hikes have been as long as 12 hours
      covering almost 20 miles (32 km).

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: CMI
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.cmi-
      gear.com" LINK TEXT = "CMI">>
      MSRP: US $44.45
      Listed Weight: 11.6 oz. (328 gm.)

      The CMI Instep crampon is designed to be a lightweight traction
      device. It provides stability for hikers on moderate inclinations on
      hard packed snow, ice and snow covered ice.

      Product Description

      The CMI Instep crampon is comprised of 2 formed steel parts joined by
      a screw and nut. The width of the crampon can be adjusted by
      inserting the screw into the appropriate hole thus providing a snug
      fit to the boot being used. The metal parts are made with 4130
      chrome-moly steel which is coated with durable epoxy powder paint.
      There is a tool built into the crampon to tighten the nut on the
      crampon thus eliminating the need for a tool if the nut becomes loose
      during use. The metal is formed so that it slides firmly to the
      sides of the sole of the boot at the instep. In the opposite
      direction there are 4 points that serve as biting teeth. There are
      slots in the metal to hold 2 Neoprene straps which are about 26 in.
      (66 cm.) long and about 0.5 in (1.27 cm.) wide. The straps look like
      a belt with a buckle on one end and holes on the other end. Each
      belt is inserted into slots in the metal parts of the crampon. They
      can be adjusted to accommodate the boot. The points on the crampons
      are 1.25 in. (3.17 cm.) long and are "V" shaped.

      FIELD USE

      I start carrying the CMI instep crampons as soon as icy or snow
      conditions are reported in the mountains. The CMI crampons are light
      and very easy to put on. To carry them I put the points toward each
      other and wrap the straps around them and then place the CMI crampons
      in a small plastic bag. They fit easily in my jacket pocket and are
      quickly available. When I feel I need more traction, out come the
      CMI Instep crampons. The CMI crampons come with straps on them. One
      set is longer than the other. I have the shorter strap engaged so
      that I can slip the toe part of my boot into the CMI crampon. I
      adjust the metal part of the CMI crampon to fit to the instep of the
      boot. I then pull on the front strap until it feels secure. The
      longer straps are engaged by moving them toward the heel part of the
      boot and circling the ankle and joining them at the front of the boot
      just above the shorter strap. I secure them firmly by pulling on the
      strap like putting the belt on my pants.

      I have used the CMI Instep crampon on 4 hikes in mountains in the 4-
      5 thousand foot (1219- 1524 m.) range. My day pack is about 12 lb.
      (5.44 kg.). The hikes ranged from 6 to 10 mi.(9.66 to 16.1 km.) At
      my age falling or even slipping is important to me. I felt quite
      secure wearing these CMI Instep crampons. I was able to keep up with
      better hikers that were wearing multi point crampons or snowshoes. I
      recently used snowshoes and noticed that I was noticeably slower.

      Care and maintenance

      When I take off my CMI Instep crampons, I hold them by the straps and
      shake them; this usually gets rid of most of the debris. Even though
      the Neoprene straps and the metal parts don't absorb much water, they
      may be slightly wet so I put them in a plastic bag before putting
      them in my pocket.

      SUMMARY

      CMI Instep Crampons are small, light, durable, quick and easy to put
      on.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Looking
      small">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "mugsize">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "toe ready">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "buckles in
      front">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "bottom">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6" IMAGE CAPTION = "compare">>

      THINGS I LIKE

      The CMI Instep crampon is light, easy to put on. The traction for a
      4 point device is truly amazing. The CMI Instep Crampon is
      inexpensive and it fits in my jacket pocket for easy removal. After
      using the CMI Instep Crampon several times on ice and rock there is
      little evidence of wear and the only evidence of wear is the finish
      is worn in a few spots.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      The first few steps on hard ice I felt as if I had stepped on a small
      branch. This made me feel slightly unstable, however I soon got over
      this feeling. I have used the CMI Instep crampon over Yaktraxs to get
      traction on the ball of my foot. My wish would be to have an added 1
      or 2 points for the ball of the foot.

      CMI Instep crampon is really a great traction device that is small
      light durable and inexpensive.

      Arnold Peterson

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
          Hello Arnold,

          This is a nice job on your second review. Thanks for putting the HTML
          up at the same time. I will work from it, your initial edits will
          follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          Once you make the changes you can repost and put a new one in the
          test folder.

          Ray

          ***Canada using an 11 lb. (5 kg) day pack.

          EDIT: no period after lb

          ***I have backpacked on Mt. Washington and at the IMP shelter

          EDIT: you need to tell what IMP is. I have no idea, and many other
          readers may have the same problem. When you do this you will be over
          the 100 word limit for bios (you are already by just a tad) so you
          may want to tighten this up.

          ***My day hikes have been as long as 12 hours covering almost 20
          miles (32 km).

          Comment: cool, I am one of those crazy guys too.

          ***Manufacturer's Website: CMI

          EDIT: this needs to have the whole URL spelled out along with the
          hyperlink

          ***Listed Weight: 11.6 oz. (328 gm.)

          EDIT: no periods after oz and g (just g, not gm)

          *** which is coated with durable epoxy powder paint.

          EDIT: it is finished with an epoxy "powder-coat", this is not paint

          ***There is a tool built into the crampon to tighten the nut on the
          crampon thus eliminating the need for a tool if the nut becomes loose
          during use.

          Edit: …thus eliminating the need for a "separate" tool…

          ***Neoprene straps which are about 26 in. (66 cm.) long and about 0.5
          in (1.27 cm.) wide.

          EDIT: no periods after in and cm

          ***The points on the crampons are 1.25 in. (3.17 cm.) long

          EDIT: same thing

          ***I have used the CMI Instep crampon on 4 hikes in mountains

          EDIT: crampons

          *** in the 4-5 thousand foot (1219- 1524 m.) range. My day pack is
          about 12 lb. (5.44 kg.). The hikes ranged from 6 to 10 mi.(9.66 to
          16.1 km.)

          EDIT: please remove all periods after abbreviations
          Space needed between "10 mi" and "(9.66…"
        • al peterson
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
            Thank you for your edits. I should not have capitalized all the
            lettewrs in IMP. I have revised it to Imp Shelter as that is the
            name of the shelter. I have tightened the bio a bit.

            URL for revised OR report

            http://tinyurl.com/33wzpj

            text version

            CMI INSTEP CRAMPON Traction Device
            ARNOLD PETERSON
            OR
            March 28, 2007

            TESTER INFORMATION

            NAME: Arnold Peterson
            EMAIL: alp4982(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
            AGE: 68
            LOCATION: Wilmington Massachusetts USA
            GENDER: M
            HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
            WEIGHT: 165 lb (74.80 kg)
            BOOT SIZE 8.5

            Backpacking Background:

            At this time almost all my experience has been hiking in New
            Hampshire, Florida, Colorado USA, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia
            Canada using an 11 lb (5 kg) day pack. I have backpacked on Mt.
            Washington and Imp Shelter located between North Carter and Mount
            Moriah mountains in New Hampshire. The gear I will be writing about
            has been used a lot hiking mostly all year around in New Hampshire.
            I have recently completed the forty-eight 4000 footers (1219 m) of
            New Hampshire. My longest day hikes was 12 hours covering almost 20
            miles (32 km).

            PRODUCT INFORMATION

            Manufacturer: CMI
            Year of Manufacture: 2006
            Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.cmi-
            gear.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.cmi-gear.com">>
            MSRP: US $44.45
            Listed Weight: 11.6 oz (328 g)

            The CMI Instep crampon is designed to be a lightweight traction
            device. It provides stability for hikers on moderate inclinations on
            hard packed snow, ice and snow covered ice.

            Product Description

            The CMI Instep crampon is comprised of 2 formed steel parts joined by
            a screw and nut. The width of the crampon can be adjusted by
            inserting the screw into the appropriate hole thus providing a snug
            fit to the boot being used. The metal parts are made with 4130
            chrome-moly steel which is coated with durable epoxy powder coating.
            There is a tool built into the crampon to tighten the nut on the
            crampon thus eliminating the need for a seperate tool if the nut
[...]

            I have used the CMI Instep crampons on 4 hikes in mountains in the 4-

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2007
              OK Arnold this looks good I found a couple more things but once you
              fix them you can put it in the real folder! Here is where it will go;

              http://tinyurl.com/2ken6j

              Be sure to highlight the Owner Review button.

              As this is your second approved review, if you have submitted a Tester
              Agreement, for which see:

              20Agreement\%20Docs/

              that has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate in
              the testing process by applying for tests. If you have not sent your
              paperwork in, please do so at your earliest opportunity.

              For further details see

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

              You will also need to join:

              This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

              However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner
              Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing
              and this won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

              Congratulations!

              Raymond Estrella

              ***My longest day hikes was 12 hours covering almost 20 miles (32
              km).

              EDIT: My longest day "hike" was 12 hours… or, My longest day
              hikes "were" 12 hours…

              ***There are slots in the metal to hold 2 Neoprene straps which are
              about 26 in. (66 cm.)

              EDIT: delete periods after abbreviations