REPOST - OR - SNOW PEAK TREK 900 Cookset - Eric Olsen

  • arcticsummit
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30 12:48 PM
      Kathy,
      Thanks for the suggestions (and mandatory edits). I agree that this
      makes a better report. I have made all the changes you suggested as
      well as adding a product description. Hope all is well. Thanks
      again. Here is the link.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/REPOST%
      20-%20OR%20-%20SNOW%20PEAK%20TREK%20900%20-%20ERIC%20OLSEN/

      SNOW PEAK TREK 900 Cookset
      BY ERIC OLSEN
      OR
      March 30, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Eric Olsen
      EMAIL: eric.m.olsen at gmail dot com
      AGE: 28
      LOCATION: Provo, Utah, United States
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 180 lb (81.60 kg)

      Backpacking Background: Grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska spending about 5-
      7 nights a year camping with my family. From age 12 until I was 18 I
      spent about 14 nights a year camping on my own or with other Boy
      Scouts, mostly in the summer. I have lived the last 10 years Utah
      and have spent about 10 nights a year in all seasons both hiking and
      camping with friends. These nights are split mostly between short
      ultralight and ultra-heavy car camping trip. I am a frugal consumer
      and like to get the most bang for my buck.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "The 2
      Pieces">> Manufacturer: Snow Peak
      Year of Manufacture: 2004 (still in production)
      "http://www.snowpeak.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.snowpeak.com">>
      MSRP: US $43.95
      Listed Weight: 6.2 oz (175 g)
      Measured Weight: 6 oz (170 g) with the mesh carrying case 5.5 oz
      (156 g) without the case
      Measured Size: Main pot 4.75 in (12 cm) diameter and 4.25 in (11 cm)
      tall. Lid / fry pan 4.25 in (11 cm) diameter flat surface / 5 in (13
      cm) rim and 1.5 in (4 cm) tall.
      Other details: Titanium Pot with lid that can be used as small frying
      pan or bowl. 30 ounce (887 ml) capacity. Fits inside the Snow Peak
      Trek 1400 (per website but not tested)

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The cook set comes with three pieces. These are the main pot, a lid
      that can be used as a frying pan, and a mesh storage bag.

      The main pot is 4.25 in (11 cm) tall and 4.75 in (12 cm) in
      diameter. It has a folded over upper lip, rounded bottom corners and
      6 measurement markings indented into the side. The bottom, in the
      center, has the word "titanium" stamped into it. On the side, spaced
      a bit higher then center is spot welded a sleeve that allows two
      handles to rotate from flat against the pot out and together to form
      a handle. "Snowpeak" and their snowflake logo are stamped in the
      side of the sleeve.

      The lid, which can be used as a frying pan, starts with a diameter
      just under that of the main pot but then flares out a bit to allow it
      to set securely over the main pot when it is upside down (lid mode).
      Overall it is 1.5 in (4 cm) tall. The lip of the fry pan is also
      folded over providing a sturdy and rounded edge. The pan also
      features a fold over handle with a clever little locking mechanism
      that keeps the handle sturdy. The handle wobbles a tiny bit but is
      still very secure in that it will not move more than the little
      wobbles. "Snowpeak" and the snowflake are etched into the handle
      while they are stamped along with the word "titanium" into the bottom
      of the pan.

      The mesh carrying case is black with a drawstring and barrel lock.
      It is taller than the cook set requires and is a little tight around
      the flared edge of the lid while putting it into the bag. It has a
      little "snowpeak" and snowflake logo on the tag that is sewn into the
      bag.

      FIELD INFORMATION

      Though field conditions have had no noticeable effects on the
      performance of the pot they are included for thoroughness. I have
      used the Snow Peak Trek 900 in all seasons and in a variety of field
      conditions from forest to desert to rocky canyon and snow.
      Temperatures have ranged from 25 F (-4 C) to 100 F (38 C).
      Occasionally, some wind was encountered but had no effect on the pot
      itself.

      FIELD USE

      I purchased this pot to go with my MSR PocketRocket for a very light
      weight cooking set. The pot is the large enough for ultralight needs
      and is also sized to fit a compressed fuel canister inside. I have
      used it about 8 times in the last 2 years, the majority during the
      summer but once or twice in the winter. It has found the most use
      during two ultralight trips, one to the peak of "Y" mountain in
      Provo, UT (elevation 8559 ft (2609 m)) and the other in slot canyon
      in southern Utah. The two trips covered 16 and 12 mi (26 and 19 km),
      respectively. In both cases it was the choice cooking pot due to the
      light weight, small size and the simple requirements of the trip, of
      only boiling water. On the two trips the pot performed flawlessly. I
      feel that the ideal piece of gear is the one that does its job well
      and then is not noticed the rest of the time. This was the case as
      the light weight and compactness of it and the stove with canister in
      one package made packing and carrying the pot very pleasant.

      As for cooking uses for the pot I have used it almost entirely for
      simply boiling water. I have cooked sausages on the lid / fry pan
      and made some soups and stews. In the case of stews beware of hot
      spots. This is both due to the nature of titanium and possibly
      because I use a MSR PocketRocket that has a pretty concentrated flame.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Some things that make this pot great:
      * Light weight - 6 ounces (170 g) is a great weight for ultralight
      * Compact size and organization - a standard compressed fuel can fits
      perfectly inside. I can fit my MSR PocketRocket inside as well if I
      leave behind the PocketRocket's case. Or I keep the case and the pot
      and stove fit inside the mesh carrying case and I use the space
      inside for spices, hot chocolate packets, etc.
      * Sturdy handles - the side handles on the main pot feel very sturdy
      and stay mostly cool. The fold out handle on the lid locks into
      place and also feels very sturdy even with very slight wobbles.
      * Measurements - it has markings for various fluid volumes and
      although they are not the most common measurement levels, they serve
      as a good guide.
      * The lid / skillet fits very well on top of the pot for improving
      the speed and efficiency of boiling - not too tight, not too loose.
      * Both the lid / fry pan and main pot have rounded corners that make
      clean up easier. I usually just boil water but it is a nice feature.
      * Titanium is very strong and scratch resistant. As I said I boil
      mostly water so scratching is not much of a concern. Also I use
      plastic (polycarbonate) utensils which makes scratching impossible
      and I like the light weight of them.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Halfway in
      mesh bag">>Nothing major to say here but a couple small things:
      * If I was really into extreme solo ultralight hiking I could get by
      on something smaller and therefore lighter - I cannot afford gear for
      every situation but this fit many of my needs very well.
      * The mesh carrying case is taller than it has to be for the pot but
      the excess space can be used for other things (like stove, lighter,
      etc)
      * The mesh carrying case is just a hair narrower than I would like.
      A minor nuisance but a tiny bit more would make putting it back in
      the case easier. See picture.
      * Titanium costs more than most other materials - but then again it
      sure is good stuff.
      * It is very small - that's the point of the cook set but the frying
      pan is small, and the pot somewhat tall and narrow - I do not plan to
      use it for more than boiling water and soups as I find the cooking
      surface to be pretty small.
      * Neither the pot nor the lid has any ridges or texture to help keep
      the pot on the stove. Not a huge deal but figured I'd mention it.

      SUMMARY

      The Snow Peak Trek 900 is an extremely light, compact and well built
      piece of cookware. It is rather small for a group but for 1 to 2
      people who just need boiled water it does great.

      SIGNATURE

      Eric Olsen
      www.thearcticsummit.com

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.