EDIT: Owner Review - Columbia Bugabootoo Boots- Joanne Walker

  • TheMiddleSister
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2007
      Joanne,

      I have been assigned to edit your Owner's Review. This appears to be your very first review, so I tried to go easy on you! ;) Writing for BGT takes practice and you needn't be discouraged by the editing process. If it seems "greek" to you, you might want to check in with the BGT mentoring program where eager volunteers will help you master the process of writing ORs, applying for tests and writing test reports. It's a great program and I'll be happy to put you in touch with Jennifer Pope.

      I noticed you are using Shane's wonderful ReportWriter program. It sure makes the process easier, doesn't it?

      Since this is your first review in 6 years and there are more than a couple edits, I would like you to REPOST your OR to the list when you have made the edits. When you repost, make sure that you have in the subject line "REPOST: Owner Review - Columbia Bugabootoo Boots- Joanne Walker". Your name always needs to be in the subject line for reviews, reports, edits, etc.

      Also, after the corrections, you need to upload your HTML file to the Owner Review test folder so I can check out your HTML. When you repost, you must put a link in the e-mail to that file location so I can view the uploaded file.

      My list of edits follows. Let me know if you don't understand anything I've written.

      Conventionally the following terms are used in the editing process:
      *** EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards [because the Editor says so!]
      *** Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way [unless you seriously object with good reason]
      *** Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a change of some sort as a result.

      Please REPOST when you have made the edits and have uploaded the file with your pictures to the test folder. At that time, I'll check out the HTML and, if all is OK, give you the go ahead to upload. Please remember to use "REPOST" when you report the plain text of your corrected OR to the list. Welcome back to the BGT OR list!

      Kathy Waters
      OR Editor

      ______________________________
      First, things have changed in 6 years! Bios are limited to 100 words or less (yeah, how can we possibly explain ANYTHING in 100 words or less)! So you need to drastically cut your bio from 168 to 100 or less.

      LOCATION: Moreno Valley, Ca
      EDIT: Please spell out all state names for the international readers.

      Columbia Bugabootoo Women's Boots
      Fun and functional footwear provides promised performance and
      appealing appearance.
      Edit: If this is directly a quote from Columbia (I didn't see it on the website), please attribute it to Columbia with quote marks and a note to that effect.

      COMMENT: There are several blank lines between your specs. If that is deliberate, fine, if not, you will need to delete the hard carriage returns after the offending lines.

      Color: white/ blues
      Edit: Usually, ORs and reports list all of the color choices (I see there are 4) and then on a separate line list "Color Reviewed" (or "Color Tested" in a test series).

      Insulation: 200g Thermolite
      EDIT: Insert a space between "200" and "g" and add the imperial conversion.

      Manufacturer's Weight: 3 lb 2 oz (1.36 kg)
      Actual Weight: 3 lb 2 oz (1.4 kg)
      Edit: Normally BGT requests rounding to one decimal place, but if the manufacturer weight is listed to 2 decimal places and the actual tested weight is the same, for consistency, it would be best to have list the actual weight to 2 decimal places also.
      COMMENT: I didn't see a manufacturer's weight on the website, was it on the box or in the Columbia tag info or something. If not, put "N/A" on the manufacturer's weight line.

      MSRP: $100.00
      EDIT: Add US to $100.00, if you are in fact talking US $, if not, give country info.
      COMMENT: I didn't see a MSRP on the Columbia website. If you are not completely sure that the price is Columbia's, list the MSRP as "N/A".

      Waterproof
      Thermolite
      ThermaShield
      Omni-Grip
      Edit: I think you should delete this list since these keywords are in the description above them and they just look odd.

      EDIT: You have a great start here, but you need to flesh this OR out a bit. A good description of the boots is needed in your review. Paint a picture for me so I can visualize the product. Remember the reader may have no idea of what this product looks like and your review has to spell out the details of this product. Make the product description a separate heading before your Field Use section. I know it might seem redundant (and a pita) but not all people read the spec list and a few people don't use graphics, so explain , etc. - ok?

      The second day's hike was five miles and lasted four hours.
      EDIT: Please add metric conversion.

      The temperature ranged from 30 to 50 degrees F / C .
      EDIT: Add the metric conversions and drop the word "degrees".

      Although the high ankle tops of the boots were noticeably rubbed against my ankles when I first donned the boots, I quickly became accustomed to the feeling.
      EDIT: This sentence doesn't read right. Please re-word, i.e., "the boots were noticeably rubbing" or "the boots noticeably rubbed".

      50 to 70 degree F ( C) temps.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3 10:04 AM
        Joanne,

        Thanks for your REPOST. Your description was very good and it made me
        laugh! After the few corrections below, you need to upload your HTML file
[...]

        _____________________________________________________-

        The interior of the boot from the heel to the collar measures 5 1/4 in (13
        cm), giving the height height as 2 in (5 cm).
        EDIT - Even though you mention it in a second e-mail, I just wanted to make
        sure I listed it here! Change the first "height" to "heel".

        The boots were worn with my favorite Smartwool socks
        EDIT - Change "Smartwool" to "SmartWool" with the capital W to conform to
        the product name.

        The boots were broken in with an hour walk in Grant's Grove, Kings Canyon,
        Ca.
        EDIT - Spell out the state names.

        The Bugabootoo boots have removable footbeds and I easily removed the
        footbed and effortlessly replaced it with a Shockdoctor footbed.
        EDIT - Change "Shockdoctor" to "Shock Doctor" to conform to the product
        name.