OR- LEKI Ultralite Ti AirErgo Trekking Poles - Larry Kirschner

  • asklarry99
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 28 8:23 AM
      The html of this review can be found at the following link:
      http://tinyurl.com/26h5oe

      Meanwhile, here is my review of these fabulous poles:

      Leki Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS Trekking Poles
      Date of Review: 27 March 2007

      Biographical information
      Name: Larry Kirschner
      Age: 42
      Gender: M Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      Weight: 200 lb (91 kg) and falling (I hope)
      Email address: asklarry98@...
      City, State, Country: Columbus, OH USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I've been an intermittent camper/paddler since my teens, but now that
      my kids are avid Boy Scouts, I've caught the backpacking bug. I
      typically do a few weekend hikes per year, and have recently spent 2
      weeks backpacking at the Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimmarron, New
      Mexico. I like to travel "in comfort", so I often pack a little
      heavier than needed, but I'm trying to cut down. With all of my
      investment into this trip, I expect my wife and I will continue to
      trek long after the kids are gone…

      Product information
      Manufacturer: LEKI (www.leki.com)
      Model: Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS
      MSRP: US$149.95
      Year of manufacture: 2005
      Listed weight: 18.5 oz (524 g)
      Weight as delivered: 19 oz (540 g)
      Length (for use): 110 - 135 cm (43 - 53 in)
      Length (collapsed): 31 in (79 cm)

      Product Description
      LEKI Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS Trekking Poles are a 2-year old
      version of LEKI's current versions, but they have the advantage of
      having many of the features that were incorporated into newer
      versions. Specifically, this is a titanium pole and weighs 19 oz.,
      and features a rubberized grip over a cork underlayer on the handle.
      There is an adjustable strap about the handle, which can be shortened
      or lengthened depending on hand/wrist size. The foam grip extends
      approximately 10 inches (25 cm) down the top of the shaft of the
      pole, providing extra gripping surface in the event of the need for
      shortened poles. The handle also has a positive angle (PA) for
      comfort while hiking. Other notable features of this pole include the
      soft anti-shock system (SAS) and the easy lock system for height
      adjustment. On the bottom, the poles comes with a carbide flextip and
      a small basket. The poles themselves have three sections, and the
      height is adjusted by the easy lock system, which is a screw-driven
      expanding gasket to hold the poles at the proper setting. The LEKI
      website and printed materials encourages users to disassemble the
      poles after usage for cleaning purposes. The poles come with a
      lifetime warranty covering shaft breakage.

      Field information
      I have used my Leki Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS Trekking Poles (which
      I will henceforth refer to as "Ti AirErgos") on multiple weekend
      hikes in Ohio, where the terrain tends to be comprised of muddy
      trails and soft camp areas. I have also taken these poles to the
      Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, which has a wide variety of
      terrain including packed dirt, mud, rocky scree, and moderate-large
      rock scrambling. The weather was typically dry, but I've also done
      plenty of miles in the rain. The poles were mostly used for trekking,
      but have also doubled as shelter supports, tripod legs, and hat
      holder.

      When I am on the trail, I follow the advice from Pete's Pole Page and
      use the poles for rhythmic striding, where every step is accompanied
      by a pole plant. (As a side note, I highly recommend that everyone
      starting out using poles visit this page for guidance) Compared to my
      style BP (before poles), I have found that I am able to cover much
      better distance with much less exertion. When I get to camp at night,
      my knees do not creak and moan, particularly after a downhill trek.
      Also, I appreciate the additional stability when hopping rock to rock
      for crossing streams, or just on rocky parts of the trail (again,
      particularly on the downhill slopes). The forward-tilted handles (now
      called the positive angle, or "PA" system) make a dramatic
      improvement on the comfort of the poles, such that I have never had
      any issues with my hands or shoulders after a day on the trail. The
      grip also has some contour to it, so that my hands easily fit.
      Although the anti-shock feature of the poles can be disabled, I have
      found in practice that I leave it on all the time. As I said, my back
      and knees appreciate the extra shock-damping on downhill runs, and it
      does not appreciably change the function of the poles on uphills or
      flat surfaces. The trade-off is that the spring in my poles tends to
      be a little squeaky, so it will frequently make a 'sproing'ing noise
      with every step. When I first got the poles, I didn't like the noise,
      but I soon became quite accustomed to it and now I hardly notice it.

      One thing that is nice about the Ti AirErgos is the fact that the
      shafts of the poles are marked in 5 cm increments from a range of 110-
      135 cm. This enabled me to easily reset the poles to the proper
      hiking height when they had been used for other purposes in the
      interim. Although I was a little worried about the stability of the
      easy lock system (ELS), I did not experience any troubles with the
      poles sliding once they had been properly fixed.

      In terms of other features, I found that the carbide tips supplied
      with the pole provided good stability on a variety of surfaces. The
      baskets prevented the tips from sinking into the mud in places where
      it was overly soft. Although this pole style has the long grips, I
      never actually slid my hand off the handle. As I used the pole strap
      quite extensively for leverage on the pole, I felt that using the
      extended grip would place all the burden on my grip, which seemed an
      unnecessary trade-off. I never really felt the need to slide my hand
      down (although this might have been my natural stubbornness, too.

      Summary
      After hiking both without and with trekking poles, I can first say
      that I would never want to hike without them again! The LEKI
      Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS Trekking Poles provided excellent
      stability and function, at a fairly modest cost in weight. I have
      never had another pair of poles, but it is evident to me why LEKI is
      a leader in the industry. Things I like about the TiAirErgos:
      Lightweight
      Easily adjustable
      High quality anti-shock functioning
      Positive angle grip adds comfort
      Things I dislike about the TiAirErgos
      Squeaky sounds when anti-shock system engaged.

      Overall, I really love these poles, and would recommend them without
      reservation.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 28 11:23 PM

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 28 11:23 PM

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 28 11:23 PM

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 28 11:23 PM

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 28 11:23 PM

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 28 11:23 PM

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 28 11:23 PM

                    reviews before submission.

                    Moderator.

                    will use APPROVED in the subject line.

                    the list or contact me directly.

                    Edit Administration Manager
                  • rayestrella1
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 2007
                      Hi Larry,

                      Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They
                      will take the following format;

                      EDIT: must be changed

                      When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added
                      to the subject line. Also update the HTML file in the test folder
                      please.

                      Nice review, good pictures.

                      Ray

                      ***Leki Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS Trekking Poles

                      EDIT: you need to put "Owner Review" somewhere. Maybe right under
                      this. And I think you can leave the "PA AS" off the title.

                      ***Specifically, this is a titanium pole

                      EDIT: they are actually aluminum. And as it is a pair it should
                      be "these are aluminum poles"

                      ***and weighs 19 oz., and features a rubberized grip over a cork
                      underlayer on the handle.

                      EDIT: no period after oz
                      Do the poles weigh 19 oz each or as a pair?

                      ***On the bottom, the poles comes with a carbide flextip and a small
                      basket.

                      EDIT: you keep jumping from plural to singular. The poles "come" with
                      carbide "flextips" and "small baskets".

                      You need to go through the entire review and change to one form or
                      the other please.

                      ***I follow the advice from Pete's Pole Page

                      EDIT: you need to remove the link to the page

                      ***(As a side note, I highly recommend that everyone starting out
                      using poles visit this page for guidance)

                      EDIT: need a period after guidance

                      ***but it is evident to me why LEKI is a leader in the industry.

                      EDIT: we are not supposed to make statements like this. We test poles
                      for many companies and should leave these remarks to their marketing
                      teams, not our reviews.
                    • asklarry99
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 6, 2007
                        Ray-

                        Thanks for the edits.
                        I have revised the review per your suggestions.
                        The new version can be found here:
                        http://tinyurl.com/383t36

                        The text is included at the end of this note.

                        Cheers,

                        -larry

                        OWNER REVIEW
                        Leki Ultralite Ti AirErgo Trekking Poles
                        Date of Review: 27 March 2007

[...]

                        versions. Specifically, these are lightweight aluminum poles that
                        weigh 19 oz (for the pair), and feature a rubberized grip over a cork
                        underlayer on the handle. There is an adjustable strap about the
                        handle, which can be shortened or lengthened depending on hand/wrist
                        size. The foam grip extends approximately 10 inches (25 cm) down the
                        top of the shaft of the pole, providing extra gripping surface in the
                        event of the need for shortened poles. The handle also has a positive
                        angle (PA) for comfort while hiking. Other notable features of these
                        poles include the soft anti-shock system (SAS) and the easy lock
                        system for height adjustment. On the bottom, the they come with a
                        carbide flextips and small baskets. The poles themselves have three
                        sections, and the height is adjusted by the easy lock system, which
                        is a screw-driven expanding gasket to hold the poles at the proper
                        setting. The LEKI website and printed materials encourages users to
                        disassemble the poles after usage for cleaning purposes. The poles
                        come with a lifetime warranty covering shaft breakage.

                        Field information
                        I have used my Leki Ultralite Ti AirErgo Trekking Poles (which I will
[...]

                        Ultralite Ti AirErgo Trekking Poles provided excellent stability and

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 9, 2007
                          Hi Larry,

                          This looks good. Feel free to upload to this folder. Be sure to
                          highlight the Owner Review button.

                          http://tinyurl.com/2jh8u8

                          Thank you for you review,

                          Ray
                        • laurence kirschner
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
                            Hi Ray-

                            I have uploaded the review, but the folder name is "LEKI Ultralite Ti
                            AirErgo SAS PA 2003". I'm not sure if they are different from the poles used
                            for the tests (I agree that the poles appear to be the same in the photos),
                            but my poles are the 2005 version, at least according to the wrapper. In
                            fact, I wasn't going to write an OR of this equipment, but when I saw that
                            the prior reviews were from 2003, I thought it would be worthwhile.

                            What do you think?

                            -larry

                          • laurence kirschner
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
                              Hi Ray-

                              I have uploaded the review, but the folder name is "LEKI Ultralite Ti
                              AirErgo SAS PA 2003". I'm not sure if they are different from the poles used
                              for the tests (I agree that the poles appear to be the same in the photos),
                              but my poles are the 2005 version, at least according to the wrapper. In
                              fact, I wasn't going to write an OR of this equipment, but when I saw that
                              the prior reviews were from 2003, I thought it would be worthwhile.

                              What do you think?

                              -larry

                              http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag3
                            • rayestrella1
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
                                Hi Larry,

                                The poles from that test are the same as your poles. The features were
                                introduced then. I did not want a bunch of the same reviews scattered
                                all over the place.

                                Thank you for checking with me though.