Re: [BackpackGearTest] Pristine Water Purification System

  • David Foote
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
      I am guessing this is a test below the $50 threshold.

      I am volunteering. Both myself and son (13, Boy Scout).
      would use it. Compared it to iodine & Polar Pure
      and filtered water since we use all of the above
      in various instances.

      It sounds like primarily ease of use and taste would be the testable
      items?

      Testing for effectiveness (i.e. do we come down with any 'nasties')
      has been taken care of by the EPA right?
      Besides I don't think anyone on this list could do definitive test on
      that (except maybe BigSky on BPL list).
      If we got anything bad after use, it would have to be considered
      anecdotal but not scientific evidence.

      df

      david foote

      -------------

      > Gear Tester wrote:
      >
      > This product is identical to Aqua Mira. The product can be viewed at
      > www.pristine.ca . As it has an EPA number, the effectiveness of the
      > product isn't at issue. The ease of use and taste/after taste is. As a
      > small, easy to test item, all three reports can be combined in one.
      > This product is ideal for use in conjunction with a SWA or Seychelle
      > in-line gravity feed water system. We have 12 - 24 to test.
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >
      > www.

    • Chad F Williams
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
        I would like to be considered for this test. I'll be
        hiking in Central Louisiana in 4 weeks, not far from
        where we used my buddy's PUR-Hiker. I mention this
        because I can use that as a comparison. I can also
        use it when I bike on the backwoods trails around my
        house in the meantime.

        Thanks
        > > Gear Tester wrote:
        > >
        > > This product is identical to Aqua Mira. The
        > product can be viewed at
        > > www.pristine.ca . As it has an EPA number, the
        > effectiveness of the
        > > product isn't at issue. The ease of use and
        > taste/after taste is. As a
        > > small, easy to test item, all three reports can be
        > combined in one.
        > > This product is ideal for use in conjunction with
        > a SWA or Seychelle
        > > in-line gravity feed water system. We have 12 - 24
        > to test.
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > >
        > > www.

        =====
        Chad Williams - Theta Rho #010
        Homepage: http://users.ev1.net/~chadwilliams/
        e-mail: Kimchad97@...
        s-mail: 4818 Roserock Ln.
        Spring, TX 77388-4339
        phone: (281)528-0415

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Gear Tester
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001

          Side note:  After all of our discussions about filters etc. I note that this system doesn't filter, but chemically "cleans" the water by killing bad little germs.
          Jack Voss
          And bad little viruses, too........
          Jerry
        • Gear Tester
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001

            Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 12:18 PM

            I am guessing this is a test below the $50 threshold.
            Yup..
            I am volunteering.  Both myself and son (13, Boy Scout).
            would use it. Compared it to iodine & Polar Pure
            and filtered water since we use all of the above
            in various instances.
            You are in the pot for concideration.
            It sounds like primarily ease of use and taste would be the testable
            items?
            That's my feels on it.
            Testing for effectiveness (i.e. do we come down with any 'nasties')
            has been taken care of by the EPA right?
            I agree
            Besides I don't think anyone on this list could do definitive test on
            that (except maybe BigSky on BPL list).
            Ryan is on this list too. He said they were going to test a number of products for just that....Hey, Ryan...any news on the test results you all were running?
            david foote

          • David Miller
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001

              Then you get to digest their little carcasses.  Extra Protein?

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                Sure...extra bang for your buck, in keeping with the light ethic.....lol.
                Jerry

              • dekkerd@rocketmail.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                  I'll volunteer for this one. I live in Central florida and backpack
                  in Ocala National. It would also be usable when biking off road(no
                  mountains here).

                  -Rob
                • Rich
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                      I'm very interested in testing this product.

                      My bio info:

                      Robert Stanley
                      Position- Heavy Equip Mechanic, welder, fabricator.
                      Age- 38
                      Height - 6'
                      Weight - 250 lbs. (*See note below)
                      Residence and testing area - New Jersey and surrounding area (Includes Eastern Pa. and sections of both NJ and Pa Appalachian Trail)

                      Outdoor background:

                      Camping, hiking, canoeing, spending time outdoors since early childhood.
                      ----------------------------------

                      I use a SWA bottle and/or iodine tabs currently.

                      I will be spending at least 1-2 weekends a month in the NJ/PA woods from now through summer using water from various sources including stagnant ponds and trail puddles.

                      Using and comparing Pristine against Aqua Mira and standard Iodine should prove interesting.

                      One question for anyone who might know - I read through the entire Pristine site, and found no mention of how temperature affects its use and effectiveness?

                      Rob Stanley
                    • WSMurdoch@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001

                        http://www.pristine.ca/
                        . As it has an EPA number, the effectiveness of the
                        product isn't at issue.

                        Do you know exactly what the EPA registration number means ?  Is there some
                        way that it can be verified with the EPA that the registration number has
                        been issued to Pristine and that the EPA has found Pristine's product
                        effective for drinking water decontamination ?

                        On its web site Pristine says their product kills viruses, bacteria, giardia
                        and cryptosoridium.  I wonder if it really kills the crypto.

                        At http://www.clo2.com/reading/drinking/ozone.html is an article titled
                        "Effects of Ozone, Chlorine Dioxide, Chlorine, and Monochloramine on
                        Cryptosporidium parvum Oocyst Viability" the last sentence of which reads,
                        "It is evident, however, that with the possible exception of ozone, the use
                        of disinfectants alone cannot be expected to inactivate C. parvum oocysts."
                        The article generally says the baby mice got sick drinking crypto laced water
                        treated with 1.3 ppm ClO2 for 1 hour.  Now, Pristine uses a higher
                        concentration than that (5 or 10 ppm) but for a shorter time (5 or 10
                        minutes), so it is not a perfect match, but I wonder.  Maybe your suggestion
                        that Pristine be used in conjunction with a SWA or Seychelle in-line gravity
                        feed water system to remove the filterable cysts is right on the mark.

                        The www.clo2.com site is a nice review of chlorine dioxide use for bleaching
                        and disinfection by a large manufacturer of chlorine dioxide.

                        (The chemists in the group might want to make up their own sodium chlorite
                        and phosphoric acid solutions and save a few bucks.)

                        Bill Murdoch
                      • WSMurdoch@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                          In a message dated 2/2/01 9:01:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, WSMurdoch@...
                          writes:

                          but for a shorter time (5 or 10
                          minutes)

                          OOps, bad memory, 15 or 30 minutes.

                          Bill Murdoch
                        • Gear Tester
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                            I assume that BigSkyRy can answer those questions...Ryan can you tell us what these numbers mean? E.P.A. Reg. No 9150-9-72765 and E.P.A. Est. No 058685-AZ-001 is what's on their package. And could you answer the rest of this post please?
                            Jerry

                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                              --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Gear Tester" <geartester@h...> wrote:
                              > This product is identical to Aqua Mira. The product can be viewed
                              at www.pristine.ca . As it has an EPA number, the effectiveness of
                              the product isn't at issue. The ease of use and taste/after taste is.
                              As a small, easy to test item, all three reports can be combined in
                              one. This product is ideal for use in conjunction with a SWA or
                              Seychelle in-line gravity feed water system. We have 12 - 24 to test.

                              Jerry I would like to test the water purification system. May I
                              suggest a way to compare different types of treatment. Heat the water
                              up to about 150 degrees and smell and taste it. You can tell the good
                              from the bad almost as good as a fecal coliform test can. That said,
                              never trust any water no matter how clean it looks or how good it
                              taste. The creek behind my house looks and taste very good but I have
                              had it checked and it came back TNTC (to numerous to count) for
                              coliform. The creek is spring fed and about a half mile from pastures
                              on both sides but it is not safe to drink.

                              Thanks, Coy Boy

                              P.S. A question for Big Sky. How do you test for cryptospyridum.
                              With a microscope? Have you used or seen a particle counter? ADEM
                              (the state) set on up under the filters at the water plant but I
                              could not make heads or tails out if the graphs. It spiked along with
                              our turbidometers but supposedly gave more info on the likelyhood of
                              crypto breakthrough. We were ok but they required ( or strongly
                              suggested) that some plants add garnet to their filter media.
                            • Robert Stanley

                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 3, 2001
                                  "Then you get to digest their little carcasses. Extra Protein? " ... and fiber?

                                  Kayak Jack
                                  Doing what you like is FREEDOM
                                  Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
                                • Jack Voss
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 3, 2001
                                    Bill Murdoch writes: "...The www.clo2.com site is a nice review of chlorine dioxide use for bleaching and disinfection ..."

                                    He raises an issue I was concerned about. If spilled or spattered on clothes, will this stuff bleach out a white spot? Alternatively, could "heavily treated" water be used as a disinfectant in camp or on the trail?

                                  • janjunco@netscape.net
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 3, 2001
                                      I would like to participate in the testing of the Pristine Water
                                      Purification System. I have over 40 years of experience as a
                                      backpacker and hiker. My backpacking plans for this year include: the
                                      Wonderland Trail; the Grand Canyon,Rim-to-Rim; the White Mountains in
                                      California, Yosemite and hiking when I am not backpacking.

                                      Over the years I have used a variety of water treatment systems
                                      including: boiling water, First Need, Pur Hiker, Potable Aqua and
                                      Taste Neutralizer Tablets and Polar Pure Iodine Crystals, all of whom
                                      leave something to be desired, either weighs too much, leaves a nasty
                                      taste or I'm not sure some of the treatments get rid of all the
                                      nasties.

                                      Thanks for considering me...Jan King
                                    • Reed, Steven D.
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                                        Jerry,

                                        I would like to test the Pristine Water Purification System. Over the years
                                        I have used a potable aqua tablets, polar pure, a first need filter and most
                                        recently a PUR scout filter. While I like the Pur filter, I've been looking
                                        for a more lightweight option and would also like to get away from the
                                        iodine taste. I just bought a SWA in-line filter to set up in a gravity
                                        feed system, so I could also test it in conjuction with that. Thanks for
                                        you consideration.

                                        -Steve

                                        Background:

                                        Name: Steve Reed
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Age: 45
                                        Location: Iowa

                                        Experience: I've been backpacking and canoeing for over 20 years. I try to
                                        take at least one major trip each year. I've always been the "gear nut" in
                                        my regular camping group. Although I usually get a lot of kidding the first
                                        time I bring some new gadget or "luxury" item along, I notice that my fellow
                                        campers are usually trying the sneak the same equipment along on the next
                                        trip. I'm currently revamping my gear and trying to go more ultralight.
                                        I'm also planning on thru-hiking the Superior Trail next summer.

                                        Basic Gear:

                                        * Kelty Windfoil Ultralight Tent
                                        * SD Lit-n-up and Marmot Tarn sleeping bags
                                        * ThermaRest regular and ultralite pads
                                        * PUR Scout water filter
                                        * MSR Whisperlite Shaker Stove (one can never have enough stoves, they
                                        are one of my gear nut weaknesses)
                                        * Optimus 8R Stove
                                        * Optimus 99 Stove
                                        * Optimus 199 Stove
                                        * Trangia 28
                                        * Misc homemake alcohol stoves
                                        * GAZ370 Stove Stove
                                        * Coleman Peak 1 400 stove
                                        * Gregory Massif Backpack (in the process of making a GVP-4)
                                        * Evolution 3 cookset

                                        This product is identical to Aqua Mira. The product can be viewed at
                                        www.pristine.ca <http://www.pristine.ca> . As it has an EPA number, the
                                        effectiveness of the product isn't at issue. The ease of use and taste/after
                                        taste is. As a small, easy to test item, all three reports can be combined
                                        in one. This product is ideal for use in conjunction with a SWA or Seychelle
                                        in-line gravity feed water system. We have 12 - 24 to test.

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=176325.1307935.2900315.1248727/D=egroupmail/S=1700066
                                        005:N/A=567139/R=1/*http://domains.yahoo.com>
                                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=176325.1307935.2900315.1248727/D=egroupmail/S=1700066
                                        005:N/A=567139/R=2/*http://domains.yahoo.com>

                                        www.

                                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=176325.1307935.2900315.1248727/D=egroupmai
                                        l/S=1700066005:N/A=567139/rand=938560536>

                                      • rgambale
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                                          Jerry,

                                          I would be interested in testing the Exchanger Mask as a first choice and the crampons for the second choice.  I live near Boston MA and spend nearly every weekend hiking either snowshoeing, xc skiing in the white mountains of NH.  I am an avid winter hiker, who has summated all of the 4,000 footers in NH during the winter season.

                                          AT 98, 97-98 NH winter 4,000'ers

                                          I agree to all stipulations/rules of the testing agreement...Rich Gambale  "Greenleaf"