Repost: OR REI Men's Ultra Light Jacket by SAmson Phan

  • Samson Phan
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2007

      Thanks for looking at it guys!

      REI Men's Ultra Light Jacket

      Owner Review
      Samson Phan

      Tester Bio
      Name: Samson Phan
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 10" (1.52 m)
      Weight: 145 lb (66 kg)
      Email address: Sphan@...
      City: Stanford
      State: California
      Country: USA
      Date: September 13, 2006

      Backpacking background
      I started hiking when I was in high school in the foothills east of
      Fresno, CA over 6 years ago. Afterwards, I helped guide trips with a
      student group at my school, usually on weekends. These consisted of
      taking other students to the outdoors and making sure they had a good
      time (Read: lots of equipment). I've had a number of longer
      excursions, but never for more than a week. Most were in the Sierra
      Nevada. I´m the type of hiker who brings everything with me. I now do
      a lot of car camping, taking hikes from base camp (my car).

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: REI
      Year of Manufacture: 2005
      Weight as delivered (for a large size): 14 oz (397 g)

      The REI Men's Ultra Light Jacket is a light unlined waterproof shell
      designed for light inclement weather. The following description and
      picture was taken from the REI website:
      * Waterproof, breathable 2.5-layer REI Elements®/nylon with
      microporous polyurethane coating is seam-sealed for complete protection
      * Inside of fabric features unique topo-map design; Copyright (c) 2002
      REI, all rights reserved
      * Fully adjustable, zip-off brimmed hood stores inside collar; when
      you zip off the hood the neck flap covers the zipper for a clean look
      * Microfleece-lined collar provides added comfort
      * Underarm zippers allow adjustable ventilation
      * Chest pocket with water-resistant zipper holds essentials
      * Two zip handwarmer pockets give added storage space
      * Elastic-drawcord hem and elastic cuffs with adjustment tabs help
      seal out the elements
      * Double-layer front placket keeps wet weather and wind from
      penetrating; VELCRO® brand closures secure placket
      * Includes a 4 x 9 inch stuff sack

      Field Information
      I have used this jacket for just over a year under typical
      conditions associated with snowshoeing, hiking, backpacking and as
      streetwear. I usually hike in mountainous terrain and high elevation
      6000 - 8000 ft (1800 – 2400 m) ASL. The Sierra Nevada can range from
      the upper 90s F (30 C) to below freezing. I bought this jacket because
      my previous, Goretex based jacket had been washed so many times and
      lost its coating, it seemed to absorb more water than shed. I wanted
      something that was light weight and could take more than a few washes.
      I bought the "Bog' (green) version, though it comes in black, grey,
      orange, and blue as well. I wear a small North Face Denali fleece, but
      I bought a large jacket. That way, I can layer without being too
      If I´m just wearing the jacket and a short sleeve shirt, the
      plastic material might not be the best feeling fabric against my skin.
      It feels like one of those old yellow rain jackets. Especially during
      heavy exertion, the fabric will tend to stick. For those who layer
      and wear long sleeves, this is probably a moot point.
      I am a great fan of its watershedding abilities. I have been
      caught in hard downpours before and this jacket held up very nicely. A
      nice little touch is having the ends of the waist drawstrings go into
      the handwarming pockets, which are zippered to prevent anything
      falling out. I don´t have a bunch of loose cords that might snag
      onto things, especially when I pull the waist cord tight. Each zipper
      has an extra long and stiff tab that makes opening and closing easier
      when wearing gloves.

      The jacket goes down to my hip joint and is the same length
      all around. When I bend over, it doesn´t ride above my waist and
      expose flesh, which is a good thing, especially for the other campers.
      I know some jackets are longer in the back for this reason, but it
      isn´t necessary for this jacket, unless the hem drawstring is pulled
      too tight.
      The hood can be completely detached or tucked into the collar.
      The stiff brim prevents rain from dripping directly onto my face. It
      comes with a drawstring in the back that pulls it away from the face.
      The cord is hidden by a loop where goggles can run through so that
      they aren´t lost.
      The bulk of gloves worn during snowshoeing greatly adds to the
      cuff diameter needed. Fortunately, the cuffs have adjustable Velcro
      straps. A nice little touch is that the straps are stiffened, making
      it easier to grab when my hands are gloved. I would say my arm length
      is slightly longer than average, which is great for rock climbing, but
      not so much when trying to find clothing that covers my wrists.
      Either it´s because I bought a large or REI makes their sleeves longer
      than usual, but I found them to be ample. The converse problem, the
      sleeves being too long and covering my hands, is avoided because of
      the elastic and velcro tabs in the sleeves.

      One of the improvements that could be made is integrating the
      small stuff pouch. I´ve already lost mine many times; I doubt I am the
      exception. Small circles of Velcro are used to keep the zipper flap in
      front closed. The type of Velcro is really sticky to just about
      everything except for the microfleece, which is a good thing! A
      continuous line of Velcro would probably do a better job at keeping
      water and wind out. Having waterproof zippers like the one on the
      front pouch for all the zippers would be icing on the cake.
      Front Pocket Zipper
      I keep the underarm vents closed most of the time, which means
      the zipper tab is now dangling around my elbow. Reversing the zipper
      would be an easy fix to this problem. My final qualm with this jacket
      is the fit of the neck collar. When it gets cold, I like to wear a
      neck gaiter. However, this coupled with the bulk from the fleece,
      makes it very difficult to zip the jacket all the way up without
      strangling myself.
      Overall, I am very happy with the performance of this jacket.
      In addition to surviving downpours and high winds, the REI Ultra
      Light Jacket hasn´t lost its water shedding abilities after numerous
      washes. If only I knew where I put the stuff sack…