EDIT: Mad Rock Alpinist - SAM BISHOP

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
      EDIT: Mad Rock Alpinist - SAM BISHOP

      Hi Sam

      Welcome. This has the makings of a good OR with just a little more work - not bad for your first one. There are a few
      small edits, listed below in my usual rather terse fashion, but what you have not covered, and which is essential, is
      how well the boots are lasting. Even with the entry-level pricing, the reader will want to know. However, given the
      excellent descriptions you have given for the rest, I am sure this will be no problem for you.

      Reposting
      When you have fixed these matters please REPOST the plain text of your OR here on this channel.

      At the same time would you please put your HTML version in the Tests / Owner Reviews folder on BGT, along with the
      pictures you intend to use. We very strongly encourage the inclusion of pictures as they convey so much information, and
      they will be required later on in Tests. If you have trouble with the pictures, and especially with the 'ALT' tags, let
      me know. The problem is well-known and easily fixed.

      When you post the plain text here please include the URL for the HTML file to make my life easier. It is now a
      requirement that we check the HTML version for various things like a clickable manufacturer's URL and some details of
      the layout before giving approval, and it is also a requirement that you provide the URL to help us Editors find your
      file. We are often editing several ORs at a time and are easily confused ...

      Edit Conventions
      Many Editors use the following convention in listing their edits and comments:
      EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards,
      Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way,
      Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a change as a result.
      However, if you think I have got something wrong or that what I am criticising is actually a matter of personal writing
      style, feel free to say so. Personal style is accepted, as long as it is reasonably clear what you mean.

      Mentors
      If you are not sure exactly how to get going, we have an excellent Mentor program. It was established to help newbies
      through the somewhat confusing process of becoming gear testers, and to make sure they understand the 'rules'. Mentoring
      is also available for veteran testers who'd like to get some feedback on their test applications or test reports.
      Whatever stage you're at the Mentots are here to help. If you'd like a Mentor, please contact the Mentor Coordinator
      (mentor@...) and please include "Mentor Request" in your subject line.

      Rules and Regulations
      In addition, you must take some time out to read through our Documentation pages to understand just what we are about,
      and what rules there are for our operations. You be required to state that you have read these and will comply with them
      when you apply for a Test. These pages are found at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php. This is at least
      the second generation of our rules: they have evolved over time, but we try to keep them as simple and as plain as
      possible. If you find any problems with them, let us know.

      HTML Creation and Problems
      In some cases when editing the plain text of a review I find problems with the layout of the text version. This can
      happen when an HTML file is badly converted - possibly by Yahoo. If this seems to be a problem, you could consider
      trying one of the free HTML/text editors such as Note Tab Lite: this one has a good conversion tool built in for
      strippping out the html tags to create plain text. Some people who know nothing about HTML like the very point-and-click
      oriented NVU, although I don't. It mangles the underlying layout of text and HTML tags. Both can be found through
      Google.

      In other cases where there are serious HTML problems the source of the problems may be that you used MS Word to generate
      the HTML file. We have had extremely bad results from MS Word: in fact it has been responsible for most of the really
      bad layout problems I have ever seen. In particular it causes untold grief over the inclusion of pictures. Also, if you
      feed a cleaned-up HTML file through Word to fix just one small error, Word will usually completely rewrite the HTML into
      a ghastly mess. We strongly discourage you from using MS Word to create the HTML! However, if Word is all you have,
      please save the file as 'web page, filtered' rather than as 'web page' or XML. The filtering does help improve Word's
      efforts slightly. But our Report Writer is a better option.

      BGT Report Writer
      This is meant to make the process of creating BGT reports and test series as friendly as possible. The Report Writer
      enables the writer to create a report without knowing anything about HTML, or having to wrestle with workarounds in
      Word. Even for those who are fully HTML-literate it can be handy. See
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1 for further information. It is highly recommemded.

      Uploading to BGT
      When uploading your Owner Review to the indicated folder, please ensure you select the button marked 'Owner Review'. If
      you require assistance with your upload, please ask in our Yahoo support group, BGTFileUploadHelp@yahoogroups.com. You
      comment about missing <alt> tags, and this is usually due to the use of MS Word.

      Tester Agreement
      Before you can become a Tester with BGT you must sign the Tester Agreement. Basically, this is an undertaking to play by
      the rules and complete any Test series, or to return the gear if you can't. Sometimes things happen, and if you let us
      know UP FRONT we will understand. We do put family needs first. The single most important thing here is too COMMUNICATE!

      The signed agreement should be forwarded to Jim Hatch. For Jim's address see msg
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest/message/67320

      If this is your second approved review and you have submitted a Tester Agreement which has been acknowledged, you are
      now eligible to participate in the testing process by applying for tests. Further details on this may be found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

      Applying for Tests
      You will also need to join the Yahoo group where the Tests are announced:

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT Editor
      --------------------------
      > MAD ROCK ALPINIST
      EDIT: Add 'BOOTS' at the end so I know what these are

      > Measured Weight: 4 lb, 10 oz (2 kg, 110 g)
      Edit: No commas

      > The uppers are made of Kevlar polyester.
      EDIT: this needs explaining. Kevlar is an aramid, not a polyester, so I don't know what you are trying to say here.

      > were weekend length mountaineering training trips
      EDIT: 'weekend-length'

      > them lightweight, they are definitely heavier than La Sportiva and
      > other similar boots (although they are almost half the price of other
      > name brand boots).
      EDIT: Generic comparisons are quite OK if you have the experience, but leave out individual brand names. So this would
      be fine:
      'heavier than other similar boots'

      > When fully laced and hiking steep uphill,
      EDIT: steeply

      > I had to duck walk a bit to avoid getting heel blisters.
      Comment: all this paragraph is really valuable info.

      > The heel cup in these boots is pretty extreme which might
      EDIT: extreme how? Must explain.
    • Sam
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2007
        (HTML in Test folder here: http://tinyurl.com/2pdqbr)

        MAD ROCK ALPINIST BOOTS
        BY SAM BISHOP
        OR
        March 4, 2007

        TESTER INFORMATION

        NAME: Sam Bishop
        EMAIL: nanking3030@...
        AGE: 28
        LOCATION: Ventura, California, USA
        GENDER: M
        HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
        WEIGHT: 185 lb (83.90 kg)

        My wife and I started taking short backpacking trips a couple years
        ago. We mostly hike and camp in Los Padres National Forest, but
        are taking more trips into the eastern Sierra Nevada. We hike and
        camp year round in southern California, USA, but are just getting into
        snow camping and mountaineering. My pack is heavy by today's
        standards. I prefer low volume to low weight.

        PRODUCT INFORMATION

        Manufacturer: Mad Rock Climbing Equipment
        Year of Manufacture: 2006
        Manufacturer's Website: http://www.madrockclimbing.com
        MSRP: US$199.95
        Measured Weight (pair): 4 lb 10 oz (2 kg 110 g)
        Size: Men's US 10

        PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

        The Mad Rock Alpinist boots are considered mountaineering boots. They
        are made of synthetic materials with a full shank lug sole (Mad Rubber
        #5 formulation). According to the website, the uppers are made of
        "Kevlar polyester". It could be a blend of two fibers or Kevlar and
        polyester used in different places on the boot. It is unclear from
        looking at the boot or reading the website which is the case. They
        are insulated with an open cell foam lining and accept step-in
        crampons (both heel and toe bails) making them appropriate for peak
        bagging and mountaineering. They have a sticky rubber rand similar to
        rock shoes for use in alpine rock climbing.

        FIELD USE

        I have worn these boots in the eastern Sierra Nevada and in the San
        Jacinto Ranger District and San Gorgonio Wilderness of the San
        Bernardino National Forest. These trips were weekend length
        mountaineering training trips at elevations under 10000' (3000 m) in
        winter conditions with temperatures between 10 and 50 F (-12 and 10
        C). I didn't encounter any significant snow storms. I hiked on snow,
        ice, and rock in them with and without crampons.

        ALT=Mad Rock Alpinist Boots being put on

        These are my first pair of mountaineering boots. While Mad Rock calls
        them lightweight, they are heavier than other boots in the "alpine
        rock" category (although they are less expensive than other similar
        boots). I have hiked up to 6 mi (10 km) with 3500' (1000 m) gain with
        a 40 lb (18 kg) pack in these. I have put about 30 mi (48 km) total
        on these boots, and they don't behave like backpacking boots I have
        worn. When fully laced and hiking steeply uphill, I had to duck walk
        a bit to avoid getting heel blisters. Unlacing the top three eyelets
        (which form an ankle cuff), I got more flex and could hike normally.
        My toes slammed into the front of the boot going downhill at first. I
        replaced the stock insoles with Superfeet and adopted a thicker sock
        system to solve that problem. There are two strips of padding on
        either side of the Achilles' tendon and heel area which protrude quite
        a bit. This padding has helped stabilize my ankle laterally when
        carrying heavy loads and kicking steps in snow, but it could lead to
        sizing issues for different foot shapes.

        The boots worked well when postholing in snow in Lee Vining Canyon in
        the Eastern Sierra. They were functional for ice travel, too.
        Strap-on Stubai brand walking crampons cinched tightly, but I had
        trouble fitting Grivel G14 technical crampons over the width of these
        boots. The boots were rigid enough to kick steps in firm snow and for
        general snow hiking. With the walking crampons attached, I could
        front-point into ice and snow passably well.

        ALT=Mad Rock Alpinist Boots with Crampons

        Because I didn't have a chance to waterproof them before my first trip
        in these boots, I initially wore a Sealskinz waterproof-breathable
        sock. This was overkill. My feet stayed warm and dry with regular
        hiking and liner socks even with the boots fully submerged in snow
        most of the day. I attributed this to the gaiters I was wearing, but
        even without the gaiters snow was adequately kept out of the boots
        with the top three eyelets tied securely. The boots were very stable
        for snowy talus scrambling up Lily Rock outside Idyllwild, CA, USA,
        but I broke an eyelet on the day I didn't wear gaiters. This could be
        a problem on expeditions. The sticky rubber rand was noticeably
        effective in keeping my feet secure during sketchy scrambling.

        ALT=Mad Rock Alpinist Boots scrambling

        I have used these boots on trails, snow, ice, and rock pretty
        aggressively. The boots are holding up adquately. I had to glue one
        eyelet back on that I broke off scraping against granite (duct tape on
        the left boot in the above picture is my field repair). A couple
        other eyelets have gotten scraped up, but only the swiveling ones
        below the cuff seem in danger of breakage since they can get snagged.
        The swiveling eyelet helps with cinching the laces down to some
        extent, but not enough to cover the hassle when they break. The
        sticky rubber rand is getting worn away in the same fashion as rock
        climbing shoes. I've been meaning to ask Mad Rock about resoling
        services for this boot. If they can't do it, other resolers and
        do-it-yourself kits are available. The sole is a harder rubber than
        the rand and shows no tread wear so far. The heel and toe bails get
        scuffed up pretty immediately on the trails. The bails are pronounced
        enough that it looks like it will take a lot of wearing away before
        they become unuseable.

        SUMMARY

        The Mad Rock Alpinist is a good entry-level mountaineering or heavy
        backpacking boot. It can handle snow and ice travel and is crampon
        compatible. It is also comfortable for moderate length trail hiking
        with a heavy pack. The rand and sole are fairly unique in their
        utility for alpine scrambling and climbing.

        THINGS I LIKE

        1. Price
        2. Sticky rubber rand
        3. Heel stability

        THINGS I DON'T LIKE

        1. Eyelets can break off
        2. Low quality standard insole
        3. Weight

        SIGNATURE

        -Sam Bishop
        http://taonk.blogspot.com

        Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2007
          Attn: SAM BISHOP - re: RED LEDGE MEN'S FREE REIN PARKA

          Hi Sam,

          Thanks for fixing the name thing. I appreicate your quick attention
          the issue. I hate to continue to be a pain in the rump but I also
          noticed one other thing. In the title of your report, you have

          RED LEDGE MEN'S FREE REIN PARKA
          BY SAM BISHOP
          OR
          February 24, 2007

          OR - should be spelled out.

          thanks
          jamie d
        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2007
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

            > Attn: SAM BISHOP - re: RED LEDGE MEN'S FREE REIN PARKA
            >
            > Hi Sam,
            >
            > Thanks for fixing the name thing. I appreicate your quick
            attention
            > the issue. I hate to continue to be a pain in the rump but I also
            > noticed one other thing. In the title of your report, you have
            >
            > RED LEDGE MEN'S FREE REIN PARKA
            > BY SAM BISHOP
            > OR
            > February 24, 2007
            >
            > OR - should be spelled out.

            Hi Sam,

            Let me answer this one for you as I noticed it in the first place but
            let it go as it is the BGT Report Writer that is addressing it this
            way.

            Jamie you will notice that a lot of them are this way including the
            review that I just sent in as I used the Report Writer instead of
            Word for the first time.

            Ray
          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 9, 2007
              Okay then. If this is okay then no biggy to me. I know in the past
              that was something you guys edited.

              jamie