owner review David Bradish Osprey Aether 45 pack

  • d_bradish
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2007
      OSPREY AETHER 45 BACKPACK
      BY DAVID BRADISH
      OR
      February 28, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: David Bradish
      EMAIL: davebradish@...
      AGE: 44
      LOCATION: Huntington Beach California USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
      WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg)

      I started hiking in my teens in Arizona and New Mexico, primarily
      focusing on winter hiking Since 1991 I have hiked a lot with my
      brother-in-law Ray mostly in California's Sierra Nevada range, and
      the southern mountains. In winter I bring as much gear as necessary
      to be safe and comfortable. For 3 season I try to follow the
      principles of ultra light.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Osprey
      Web site: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.ospreypacks.com" LINK
      TEXT = "www.ospreypacks.com">>
      Product: Aether 45
      Size: Regular
      Year manufactured: 2005
      MSRP: N/A
      Weight listed: 2 lb/0.91 kg
      Actual weight 2 lb 7 oz/1.11 kg
      Volume: 2740 cu in/45 L
      Color: Blue
      Warranty: from company web site "Our lifetime warranty covers defects
      in materials and craftsmanship for the lifetime of the backpack."

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Osprey Aether 45 is a very simple pack. It consists of a single
      great sack that loads from the top. It closes just like a dry sack
      does by rolling the edge down, then attaching the ends together with
      a Duraflex Rock Lockster buckle. A white nylon strap also connects to
      a Rock Lockster and goes over the top of the bag the opposite
      direction of the roll-top closure. Right by this is a matching white
      nylon grab loop.

      The pack body is made from 210 denier double ripstop nylon.

      On the back of the pack a white cord zig zags between the pack and a
      piece of doubled nylon with the Osprey name and bird logo. The cord
      goes through a metal grommet and a finger pull lock

      At the bottom in the middle of the pack is a white nylon tool loop.
      On each side of the pack is a slanted pocket made of netting
      material. They have elastic at the top. Just above the pockets is a
      compression strap that has another Rock Lockster fastener on it. The
      bottom of the pack is made of heavy duty 420 denier "chainlink" nylon
      fabric.

      The Aether does not have a normal suspension with stays. Instead it
      has a frame sheet made of some heavy foam type material covered by
      mesh. The foam piece can be taken out to use as a sit pad but I do
      not do this as it is a pain to get back in. Connected to the top of
      it are the shoulder straps. They are black nylon covered foam and are
      contoured. At the top are load lifter straps that adjust with a
      buckle. In the middle of the shoulder straps is a sternum strap with
      a built in whistle. On the right side of the sternum strap is a clip
      for a hydration tube. At the bottom of the shoulder straps is the
      adjustable strap that ties into the hip belt.

      The hip belt is made of thin nylon and mesh covered foam. It attaches
      with a Stealth fastener and has a v type strap that tightens by
      pulling towards the middle. A stretchy mesh pocket is on each side of
      the hip belt.
      It does not have a hydration pocket inside of the pack but a bladder
      can slide between the frame sheet and the pack. I use it this way a
      lot, like in this picture.

      FIELD CONDITIONS

      I have used the Aether on many hikes in California. I have had it in
      the Sierra Nevada about five times and more than I know in the San
      Bernardino Mountains and the San Jacinto Mountains along with the
      desert sections of the Pacific Crest Trail. I had it for a climb of
      14000' White Mountain, and many lower peaks. The hottest that I
      remember was near 100 F/38 C by Palm Springs and the coldest about 25
      F/-4 C on a climb of San Gorgonio.

      FIELD USE

      I bought the Aether 45 in 2005 because I was trying to switch to an
      ultralight backpacking style. My old packs weighed too much and I
      just did not need the room in them any more. I really like the
      Aether. It holds all I need for a 4 day hike with no problem. I even
      fit a bear canister in it on a cache setting trip near White
      Mountain, but it was pretty uncomfortable to do that. When we hike
      Ray takes the canister and I take other small heavy type common gear
      like the satellite phone.

      The pockets are very hard to get into while I am hiking. When I bring
      bottles it is easier to ask someone to put them back for me. I can
      just barely get them out without dislocating my arm. I wish they
      worked better. I use the cord on the back all the time. It is a good
      place to put wet rain gear or a tent body. Some times I will put my
      tent poles in the pocket and through the strap on the side.

      The closure took a little getting used to, as did not having any
      separate areas in the main pack. But now I like it. I put my sleeping
      bag in the bottom followed by my tent body and pad then the smaller
      stuff and food on top.

      I think the most I have carried in it was about 26 lb/11.8 kg for a
      60 mile/ km hike in the Sierra Nevada. Usually I am more in the 12 -
      17 lb/5-8 kg range. I use it as a day pack on long day hikes that I
      need to carry a lot of water because the hip belt is better than on
      my Camelback day pack.

      I saw that this year they are replacing this pack with a new one
      called the Talon 44. I plan to keep using this one for a few more
      years.

      PROS

      Light weight
      Good suspension

      CONS

      Pockets are hard to get into.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • AndrĂ© Corterier
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2007
          > EDIT: owner review David Bradish Osprey Aether 45 pack

          Hello David,
          this is the official edit for your second Owner Review. You've gone
          through this once before, so it should be easier this time around.
          I've marked as "EDIT" things that you need to change, as "Edit"
          things that you should think about changing and as "Comment" things
          that I couldn't keep my mouth shut about (which failure does not
          require an action on your behalf).
          ;-)

          First off: When you Repost your report after the edits, please also
          upload your report's HTML version to the test folder at:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/
          and provide a link to it with your web post (snipurl or tinyurl are
          preferred). Such links do much to reduce the burden on people tasked
          with admininstrative duties - and on the "backpackgeartesters" list
          a report won't be considered to have been posted until a link to the
          appropriate test folder has been provided. No skin off your nose
          now, just a heads-up.

          Here goes:

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "d_bradish"
          <davebradish@...> wrote:

          > OSPREY AETHER 45 BACKPACK
          > BY DAVID BRADISH
          > OR
          > February 28, 2007
          >
          > TESTER INFORMATION
          >
          > NAME: David Bradish
          > EMAIL: davebradish@...
          > AGE: 44
          > LOCATION: Huntington Beach California USA
          > GENDER: M
          > HEIGHT: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
          > WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg)

          Edit: The metric conversion suggests spurious accuracy - we
          generally round to only one decimal figure. In the case at hand,
          where I assume the "170" is a ballpark figure more than something
          you check every morning, I personally would just call it "77 kg".

          > I started hiking in my teens in Arizona and New Mexico, primarily
          > focusing on winter hiking

          EDIT: There's a period (".") lacking at the end of the sentence.

          > Since 1991 I have hiked a lot with my
          > brother-in-law Ray mostly in California's Sierra Nevada range, and
          > the southern mountains. In winter I bring as much gear as
          necessary
          > to be safe and comfortable. For 3 season

          Edit: Is there a word or an "s" missing there? I expected it to read
          either "for three seasons" or "for three season hiking" or some such.

          > I try to follow the
          > principles of ultra light.

          Comment: And I hear you do a pretty good job at it...
          ;-)

          > PRODUCT INFORMATION
          >
          > Manufacturer: Osprey
          > Web site: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.ospreypacks.com"
          LINK
          > TEXT = "www.ospreypacks.com">>

          Comment: The above is likely an artifact from the report writer and
          will look O.K. in HTML. Of course, if there was a test folder
          version, I could check that...
          ;-)

          > Product: Aether 45
          > Size: Regular
          > Year manufactured: 2005
          > MSRP: N/A
          > Weight listed: 2 lb/0.91 kg
          > Actual weight 2 lb 7 oz/1.11 kg
          > Volume: 2740 cu in/45 L
          > Color: Blue
          > Warranty: from company web site "Our lifetime warranty covers
          defects
          > in materials and craftsmanship for the lifetime of the backpack."
          > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">>
          >
          > PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
          >
          > The Osprey Aether 45 is a very simple pack. It consists of a
          single
          > great sack that loads from the top. It closes just like a dry sack
          > does by rolling the edge down, then attaching the ends together
          with
          > a Duraflex Rock Lockster buckle. A white nylon strap also connects
          > a Rock Lockster and goes over the top of the bag the opposite
          > direction

          EDIT: "goes over the top of the bag *in* the opposite direction

          > of the roll-top closure. Right by this is a matching white
          > nylon grab loop.
          >
          > The pack body is made from 210 denier double ripstop nylon.
          >
          > On the back of the pack a white cord zig zags between the pack and
          > piece of doubled nylon with the Osprey name and bird logo. The
          cord
          > goes through a metal grommet and a finger pull lock

          EDIT: period at the end of the sentence.

          > At the bottom in the middle of the pack is a white nylon tool
          loop.
          > On each side of the pack is a slanted pocket made of netting
          > material. They have elastic at the top. Just above the pockets is
          > compression strap that has another Rock Lockster fastener on it.
          The
          > bottom of the pack is made of heavy duty 420 denier "chainlink"
          nylon
          > fabric.
          <snip>

          > FIELD CONDITIONS
          >
          > I have used the Aether on many hikes in California. I have had it
          in
          > the Sierra Nevada about five times and more than I know in the San
          > Bernardino Mountains and the San Jacinto Mountains along with the
          > desert sections of the Pacific Crest Trail. I had it for a climb
          of
          > 14000' White Mountain,

          EDIT: Metric conversion, please.

          > and many lower peaks. The hottest that I
          > remember was near 100 F/38 C by Palm Springs and the coldest about
          25
          > F/-4 C on a climb of San Gorgonio.
          <snip>

          > I think the most I have carried in it was about 26 lb/11.8 kg for
          > 60 mile/ km hike in the Sierra Nevada. Usually I am more in the
          12 -
          > 17 lb/5-8 kg range. I use it as a day pack on long day hikes that
          > need to carry a lot of water because the hip belt is better than
          on
          > my Camelback day pack.

          EDIT: We don't do direct comparisons. Calling it your "other,
          smaller pack" or something will work.

          ----

          Wow - those were darn few Edits for the second OR. I know my second
          OR had a lot more. Congratulations!

          When you've taken care of the edits, please repost it here
          with "REPOST:" substituted for the "EDIT:" above, put the html
          version in the test folder and provide a link with your text posting
          in this list.

          I'll then go over it and the html version once more and will likely
          clear you for upload. Once there, provided we have a written tester
          agreement from you on file, you'll be able to apply for some gear to
          test!

          I'll only have intermittent E-Mail access in the next week, but I'll
          try to check in so you don't have to wait for my go-ahead longer
          than necessary.

          Again, congratulations. I'd like to see the picture that go with
          your report.

          André
          Owner Review Editor
        • d_bradish
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2007
            > Edit: The metric conversion suggests spurious accuracy - we
            > generally round to only one decimal figure. In the case at hand,
            > where I assume the "170" is a ballpark figure more than something
            > you check every morning, I personally would just call it "77 kg".

            Hello Andre

            I can not change the numbers because the report generator puts them
            in automatically.

            Here is the rest of them fixed. And the test folder version is here
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/owner%
            20review%20Dave%20Bradish%20Osprey%20Aether%2045/

            Dave

            OSPREY AETHER 45 BACKPACK
            BY DAVID BRADISH
            OR
            February 28, 2007

            TESTER INFORMATION

            NAME: David Bradish
            EMAIL: davebradish@...
            AGE: 44
            LOCATION: Huntington Beach California USA
            GENDER: M
            HEIGHT: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
            WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg)

            I started hiking in my teens in Arizona and New Mexico, primarily
            focusing on winter hiking. Since 1991 I have hiked a lot with my
            brother-in-law Ray mostly in California's Sierra Nevada range, and
            the southern mountains. In winter I bring as much gear as necessary
            to be safe and comfortable. For 3-season hiking I try to follow the
[...]

            a Rock Lockster and goes over the top of the bag in the opposite
[...]

            14000' /4270 m White Mountain, and many lower peaks. The hottest that
[...]

            my regular day-pack.

            I saw that this year they are replacing this pack with a new one
            called the Talon 44. I plan to keep using this one for a few more
            years.

            PROS

            Light weight
            Good suspension