REVISED OWNER REVIEW Mad Rock Alpinist

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27, 2007
      REPOST: OR Mad Rock Alpinist

      MAD ROCK ALPINIST
      BY SAM BISHOP
      OR
      February 26, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Sam Bishop
      EMAIL: nanking3030@...
      AGE: 28
      LOCATION: Ventura, California, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 185 lb (83.90 kg)

      My wife and I started taking short backpacking trips a couple years
      ago. We mostly hike and camp in the Los Padres National Forest, but
      are taking more trips into the eastern Sierra Nevada. We hike and
      camp year round in southern California, USA, but are just getting into
      snow camping and mountaineering. My pack is heavy by today's
      standards. I prefer low volume to low weight.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Mad Rock Climbing Equipment
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.madrockclimbing.com
      MSRP: US$199.95
      Measured Weight (pair): 4 lb, 10 oz (2 kg, 110 g)
      Size: Men's US 10

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Mad Rock Alpinist boots are considered mountaineering boots. They
      are made of synthetic materials with a full shank lug sole (Mad Rubber
      #5 formulation). The uppers are made of Kevlar polyester. They are
      insulated with an open cell foam lining and accept step-in crampons
      (both heel and toe bails) making them appropriate for peak bagging and
      mountaineering. They have a sticky rubber rand similar to rock shoes
      for use in alpine rock climbing.

      FIELD USE

      I wore these boots in the eastern Sierra Nevada and in the San Jacinto
      Ranger District of the San Bernardino National Forest. These trips
      were weekend length mountaineering training trips at elevations near
      8000' (2400 m) under winter conditions with temperatures between 10
      and 30 F (-12 and -1 C). I didn't encounter any significant snow
      storms. I hiked on snow, ice, and rock in them with and without crampons.

      These are my first pair of mountaineering boots. While Mad Rock calls
      them lightweight, they are definitely heavier than La Sportiva and
      other similar boots (although they are almost half the price of other
      name brand boots). I hiked up to 5 mi (8 km) with 1000' (300 m) gain
      per day with a 30 lb (14 kg) pack. They don't behave like backpacking
      boots I have worn. When fully laced and hiking steep uphill, I had to
      duck walk a bit to avoid getting heel blisters. Unlacing the top 3
      eyelets (which form an ankle cuff), I got more flex and could hike
      normally. My toes slammed into the front of the boot going downhill at
      first. I replaced the stock insoles with Superfeet and adopted a
      thicker sock system to solve that problem. The heel cup in these boots
      is pretty extreme which might lead to sizing issues for different foot
      shapes.

      The boots worked well when postholing in snow in Lee Vining Canyon in
      the Eastern Sierra. They were functional for ice travel, too. Strap-on
      Stubai brand walking crampons cinched tightly, but I had trouble
      fitting Grivel G14 technical crampons over the width of these boots.
      The boots were rigid enough to kick steps in firm snow and for general
      snow hiking. With the walking crampons attached, I could front-point
      into ice and snow passably well.

      Because I didn't have a chance to waterproof them before my trip, I
      initially wore a Sealskinz waterproof-breathable sock. This was
      overkill. My feet stayed warm and dry with regular hiking and liner
      socks even with the boots fully submerged in snow most of the day. I
      attributed this to the gaiters I was wearing, but even without the
      gaiters snow was adequately kept out of the boots with the top 3
      eyelets tied securely. The boots were very stable for snowy talus
      scrambling up Lily Rock outside Idyllwild, CA, USA, but I broke an
      eyelet on the day I didn't wear gaiters. This could be a problem on
      extended trips. The sticky rubber rand was noticeably effective in
      keeping my feet secure during sketchy scrambling.

      SUMMARY

      The Mad Rock Alpinist is a good entry-level mountaineering or heavy
      backpacking boot. It can handle snow and ice travel and is crampon
      compatible. It is also comfortable for moderate length trail hiking
      with a heavy pack. The rand and sole are fairly unique in their
      utility for alpine scrambling and climbing.

      THINGS I LIKE

      1. Price
      2. Sticky rubber rand
      3. Heel stability

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      1. Eyelets can break off
      2. Low quality standard insole
      3. Weight

      SIGNATURE

      -Sam Bishop
      http://taonk.blogspot.com

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
    • Sam
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2007
        I put the html version in the test folder:

        http://tinyurl.com/2hzws7
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
          Hi Sam,

          As this has not hit the queue yet I have no idea who will be your
          editor for this one, but I do have a question to ask about it first.

          From what I am reading it seems that you have only worn these on a
          couple of training trips. Is this the case? If so it is not really
          enough to qualify for a review. If you have more use you may want to
          add it to your review before it gets picked up.

          It is a pretty good start though. As it is your second one you may want
          to try getting a picture or two in it also.

          I hike both those areas a lot. In fact I lived in Idyllwild and still
          am there at least a couple times a month. Maybe I will run into you. We
          are doing San Gorgonio tomorrow.

          Ray
        • Sam
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
            Hi Ray,

            I thought I met the minimum level of use as stated in the
            BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v. 0609, Chapter 3, Recommendation 1,
            Subsection 1, but in the interest of balancing this with requirements
            of Subsection 7 I can certainly add more to the review. ;)

            Since I haven't found any reviews for this boot on the internet, it
            was more interesting to me than ORing my Jetboil or Therm-a-Rest.

            I'm raring to get going with BGT so I'll look about the house for
            potential 2nd OR alternatives.

            I'll be out using them this weekend for sure. See you on the trail!

            -Sam

            <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sam,
            >
            > As this has not hit the queue yet I have no idea who will be your
            > editor for this one, but I do have a question to ask about it first.
            >
            > From what I am reading it seems that you have only worn these on a
            > couple of training trips. Is this the case? If so it is not really
            > enough to qualify for a review. If you have more use you may want to
            > add it to your review before it gets picked up.
            >
            > It is a pretty good start though. As it is your second one you may want
            > to try getting a picture or two in it also.
            >
            > I hike both those areas a lot. In fact I lived in Idyllwild and still
            > am there at least a couple times a month. Maybe I will run into you. We
            > are doing San Gorgonio tomorrow.
            >
            > Ray

          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007

              reviews before submission.

              Moderator.

              will use APPROVED in the subject line.

              the list or contact me directly.

              Edit Administration Manager
            • S
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
                Hi Sam,

                I'm just up the 101 from you, so my reports also mention Los Padres National Forest a
                bunch. When I read your owner review something struck me - and I've done the very same
                thing! - but we should probably both avoid writing "the" Los Padres in future reports. It's
                very southern California of us, but also ridiculously redundant! It's like when people write
                Sierra Nevada Mountains. Grrr...that redundancy boils my blood. So we just might be
                bugging someone with our extra SoCal "the"s everywhere!

                Sheila

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Sam" <nanking3030@...> wrote:

                > REPOST: OR Mad Rock Alpinist
                >
                > MAD ROCK ALPINIST
                > BY SAM BISHOP
                > OR
                > February 26, 2007
                >
                > TESTER INFORMATION
                >
                > NAME: Sam Bishop
                > EMAIL: nanking3030@...
                > AGE: 28
                > LOCATION: Ventura, California, USA
                > GENDER: M
                > HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
                > WEIGHT: 185 lb (83.90 kg)
                >
                > My wife and I started taking short backpacking trips a couple years
                > ago. We mostly hike and camp in the Los Padres National Forest, but
                > are taking more trips into the eastern Sierra Nevada. We hike and
                > camp year round in southern California, USA, but are just getting into
                > snow camping and mountaineering. My pack is heavy by today's
                > standards. I prefer low volume to low weight.
              • Nano King
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Now that you've mentioned it, it jumps right out at me!

                  -Sam

                  I'm just up the 101 from you, so my reports also mention Los Padres National Forest a

                  bunch. When I read your owner review something struck me - and I've done the very same

                  thing! - but we should probably both avoid writing "the" Los Padres in future reports. It's

                  very southern California of us, but also ridiculously redundant! It's like when people write

                  Sierra Nevada Mountains. Grrr...that redundancy boils my blood. So we just might be

                  bugging someone with our extra SoCal "the"s everywhere!

                  Sheila

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@ yahoogroups. com, "Sam" <nanking3030@ ...> wrote:

                  > REPOST: OR Mad Rock Alpinist

                  > MAD ROCK ALPINIST

                  > BY SAM BISHOP

                  > OR

                  > February 26, 2007

                  > TESTER INFORMATION

                  > NAME: Sam Bishop

                  > EMAIL: nanking3030@ ...

                  > AGE: 28

                  > LOCATION: Ventura, California, USA

                  > GENDER: M

                  > HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)

                  > WEIGHT: 185 lb (83.90 kg)

                  > My wife and I started taking short backpacking trips a couple years

                  > ago. We mostly hike and camp in the Los Padres National Forest, but

                  > are taking more trips into the eastern Sierra Nevada. We hike and

                  > camp year round in southern California, USA, but are just getting into

                  > snow camping and mountaineering. My pack is heavy by today's

                  > standards. I prefer low volume to low weight.

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                  #ygrp-text{
                  font-family:Georgia;