REPOST - Owner Review Nuun Hydration Tablets R. Lyon

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2007
      Andre,
      I think that I have incorporated all of your edits and comments,
      although I did capitalise "Nuun" where it was the first word in a
      sentence. I added a sentence at the end in response to a comment
      from Shane. Still no further word from nuun on the medical front but
      my doctor said that these are OK so if I don't hear from nuun before
      your re-edit I'll add something to that effect. May I mention the
      prescription drug that I take - though I expect that anyone who
      takes it knows what it is from the grapefruit proscription?
      I have reposted to the Tests/OR page here: http://tinyurl.com/2vs7zz
      I did so without the photo, as I agree that it's a bit fuzzy. I'll
      see if I can improve it, and when I add either a new one or the
      current one I'll incorporate your comment about identifying the
      Swiss army knife.
      How is it that nuun are available in one EU country but not another?
      I thought that free movement of goods was a cornerstone of the
      Treaty. Regards, Richard

      OWNER REVIEW
      NUUN HYDRATION TABLETS
      Richard Lyon
      February 26, 2007
      Personal Details and Backpacking Background
      Male, 60 years old
      Height: 6' 4" (1.93 m)
      Weight: 200 lb (91 kg)
      Email address: rlyon AT gibsondunn DOT com
      Home: Dallas, Texas USA
      I've been backpacking for 45 years on and off, and regularly in the
      Rockies since 1986. I do a week long trip every summer, and often
      take three-day trips. I'm usually camping in alpine terrain, at
      altitudes of 5000 to 13000 ft (1500 - 4000 m). I prefer base camp
      backpacking, a long hike in with day trips from camp, but I do my
      share of forced marches too. Though always looking for ways to
      reduce weight, I'm not yet a lightweight hiker and I usually choose
      a bit more weight over foregoing my favorite camp conveniences.
      Product Description
      Nuun (pronounced "noon") are hydration tablets that contain no sugar
      or carbohydrates; their principal ingredients, as listed on the
      manufacturer's website and on a tube of tablets, are the four
      minerals listed below as "active ingredients." These are said to
      speed replenishment of electrolytes in the blood stream. Its
      manufacturer describes nuun as making an "electrolyte drink that
      recharges your salts, but is refreshing and more efficiently
      absorbed than water alone or most sports drinks on the market."
      (Nuun eschews capital letters throughout its website, product
      literature, customer service email correspondence, and even
      corporate name, perhaps to emphasize the product's palindromatic
      name and logo. The company also uses "nuun" for both singular and
      plural.)
      Product Details
      Maufacturer: nuun & Company.
      Website: www.nuun.com.
      Weight, listed: A tube of twelve tablets weighs "less than 2 oz [57
      g]"
      Weight, measured: Tube with twelve tablets, 2.4 oz/68 g; individual
      tablet, 1/8 oz/3.5 g
      Dimensions, measured: Tube with twelve tablets, 4 in/102 mm long,
      1.1 in/28 mm diameter;
      individual tablet, 0.25 in/6.3 mm thick, 1 in/25 mm diameter
      Recommended usage: One tablet per 16 fl oz/0.5 l of water
      Flavors: Tri-berry, Citrus, Lemon+Lime
      Active ingredients: Sodium (carbonates), potassium (bicarbonate),
      calcium (carbonate), magnesium (sulfate), vitamin C, vitamin B2
      Other ingredients: Citric acid, sorbitol, sodium carbonate, natural
      colors flavors, sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate,
      polyethylene glycol, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate, calcium
      carbonate, acesulfame potassium, riboflavin-5-phosphate.
      MSRP: These are sold in plastic tubes of twelve tablets each. Three-
      pack: $19.50 US, nine-pack, $49.00 US. Either quantity is available
      in assorted flavors (one or three tubes of each) or a single
      flavor. Online sales available for shipment to USA, Canada, UK,
      Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, or Hong Kong.
      Availability: May be purchased online or at retail from nuun
      distributors. The website has a helpful search tool for finding a
      retailer either locally or over the Internet.
      Observations and Commentary
      I received a three-pack of nuun as a Christmas present from a
      backpacking friend who is also an occasional triathlete. In
      addition to one backpacking trip, I've used nuun on day hikes, in-
      bounds and backcountry skiing, and during aerobic workouts at my
      health club. At the health club I use one tablet in a half-liter
      (one pint) aluminum water bottle. Outside it's been either one or
      two tablets in a one-liter aluminum or plastic water bottle or two
      tablets in a two-liter (~34 fl oz) Platypus water bladder.
      Nuun are easy to use. I simply drop the tablets into the water
      container, allow a few minutes for the tablet to dissolve, and shake
      the container once or twice. Each tablet contains a small amount of
      effervescent to facilitate dissolving, and a tablet does dissolve
      very quickly – one minute and twenty seconds the only time I
      measured it. Nuun counsels against using its product with anything
      other than plain water. I've found that the effervescent gives a
      slightly fizzy taste for about five minutes after adding the
      tablet. This isn't overly strong or unpleasant, just noticeable.
      Nuun states that the effervescent doesn't affect performance.
      Two characteristics of nuun distinguish it from many commonly
      available "sports drinks" or other hypotonic products: nuun has no
      sugar or carbohydrates, and the taste is considerably milder than
      any other product intended for rehydrating that I have used. No
      sugar means no calories (actually, very few calories – five per
      tablet according to nuun's website) and no energy boost. To my
      taste at least it also means a liquid much tastier and easier to
      drink; I find widelyavailable store-bought hydration drinks with
      sugar and sugar-laden powders unpleasantly cloying and nuun quite
      refreshing. Another advantage of no sugar is that splashes from a
      water bottle don't stain or get sticky. I also very much like the
      faint flavor, which leaves no aftertaste; in fact, I like the taste
      better at half strength (one tablet per liter) than full strength.
      So far as I can tell the tablets dissolve completely, as I've found
      no residue in any container and no taste at all if I refill a bottle
      with water immediately after draining the last of the nuun-laced
      water and rinsing. Similarly I've noticed no carryover of flavors
      when I've added a different flavor to an immediately refilled
      bottle. Each flavor suits my taste. Citrus tastes of grapefruit,
      tri-berry (my favorite) of raspberry. Lemon+lime has a noticeably
      stronger taste than the other two.
      Nuun explains how its product works as follows:
      "the most important characteristic of what you drink while you are
      active is the speed at which your body can absorb it. the
      concentration of dissolved salts and sugars (osmolarity, for those
      more technically inclined) determines how fast the drink can cross
      from your gut into your bloodstream where it can re-hydrate and
      replenish. nuun produces a hypotonic solution so that your body will
      absorb nuun faster than the leading "sports drinks" or even water
      alone. your body is therefore, able to restore optimal water and
      electrolyte balance more quickly."
      I haven't done any sort of scientific testing on nuun or my
      bloodstream and can't comment on the accuracy of these claims. I
      didn't experience any leg cramps after a ninety-minute spin session
      in the gym, on either backcountry ski day, or at any other time.
      Cramping doesn't happen to me too often even when I don't take a
      hypotonic, though, so I can't say that nuun caused a big
      improvement. I consider nuun a reasonable precaution, however, and
      it does add a pleasant taste to water that I must carry and drink.
      I look forward to regular use of nuun when summer comes; it gets hot
      in Texas and I am careful to rehydrate when doing any outdoor
      activity. I like the taste; I can carry the little tubes in a
      pocket or pack without worrying about spillage; and adding a tablet
      is a truly idiot-proof means of getting the proper dosage. Because
      of the taste and lack of residue this is the first hyponic that I've
      used on a regular basis.
      Nuun encourages questions and my experience indicates that this is
      more than a boilerplate promise on the website. I take a common
      prescription medicine that requires abstaining from grapefruit. I
      emailed nuun, through a link on its website, to inquire if the small
      amount of grapefruit in the Citrus nuun would cause an adverse
      reaction. The next day I received a courteous and thorough reply to
      the effect that nuun didn't know for sure but would contact the
      drug's manufacturer and advise me of the results. The customer
      service representative suggested that I ask my doctor and provided
      me with a technical description of how the grapefruit is added to
      aid this inquiry. He also asked me to forward any response from my
      doctor to nuun. I'll update this report with any further
      information I receive.
      All in all, a welcome present and a useful addition to my
      backpacking kit.
      What I Like
      Pleasant, understated flavor with no aftertaste
      Easy to use
      Easy to store
      No mess, unlike powdered products
      No sticky sugar blotches on my clothes, arms, or legs
      What I Don't Like
      At about ninety cents (US) per liter/quart using the recommended
      dosage, it's expensive. But the best such product I have found, so I
      plan to continue buying and using nuun.
    • André Corterier
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
        > APPROVAL: Owner Review Nuun Hydration Tablets R. Lyon

        Hi Richard,

        your report looks good, the link works. Nice. Please upload at your
        earliest convenience to the proper folder at
        http://tinyurl.com/24stw9
        Please also remember to delete the test item from the test folder.

        Regards,

        André

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "richardglyon" <rlyon@...>

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
          Andre,
          Uploaded and tests deleted. Thanks for your help. I hope that your
          daughter is on the mend. Richard
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier